Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Stride covers the same ground as Warp which makes Warp not as batshit as the other games but it's still an incredibly tool.

Caspar kinda sucks on Maddening. He needs to be able to one round kill anything he hits to be of use because he is almost never going to survive enemy phase, and there are far far better options to fill that niche. He has to get lucky on his growths to even be able to kill in one round. His best use is as an Armor Knight backpack.

Alois is also mostly wretched on Maddening. He won't be able to kill much of anything and he sure can't take hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah Petra is completely insane. Maddening was my first time using her and she came out of nowhere to be a complete shitwrecker. She basically can perform on Maddening to the level of fan favorites like Rutger and Aira can perform on their games in Normal.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Vengeance Bernie is hilarious but she’s not a particularly spectacular unit on Maddening. I used her in CF Maddening but by midgame she was completely outshone by Shamir

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The one run of Maddening I did of GD I used Ignatz as a healer and let him die on reunion at dawn because lol gently caress it, he was good bait to give me some breathing room and I had long since dropped him.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah Felix Ferdinand and Catherine don’t hold a candle to either Claude or Edelgard, not even close besides maybe Catherine. Dimitri is the weakest of the three lords by a notable margin.

Real talk Felix is probably the most overrated of the games better units by a big margin

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 19, 2021

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Claude has all of Leonie’s strengths while getting his own unique advantages that are absurdly powerful. Mobility and consistent ability to one round are the best combat things you can look for in Maddening and Claude gets both which is extremely rare, especially when he can do it from a safe distance thanks to getting the second best crest weapon.

Edelgard on average has enough stats to both reliably kill and take hits on Maddening which is also rare and in demand, but Raging Storm is a utility nothing else in the game really comes close to besides Warp. There are so many uses and situations that can be solved by Raging Storm and can’t be replicated that she’s a top five unit by default. Not only can it be used to reliably end maps at will, it’s even just as versatile as warp. Even if she didn’t have such excellent overall average stats Raging Storm is enough to guarantee her as a top notch unit that only the best of the best compete with

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Have you actually played on Maddening since you’re just kind of wrong here, either due to bias from a poor Edelgard turnout or bias against the character.

She’s vastly superior in every way to things like Seteth and while yes she’s another Wyvern when you have tons of those she’s the best one of the best class so it doesn’t really matter

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I got incredibly lucky in that my Ferdinand turned out like a godless killing machine on the Maddening run I’ve started due to this LP so it is saddening to see him fail and be reminded that’s he’s still not a great unit. At least he still gets Swift Strikes.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Felix is by no means a bad unit on Maddening, he’s still a great unit. He’s just outclassed by the real top tiers and heavily overhyped by some people when units like Leonie and Petra completely trash him. He’s still excellent and as an actual character he’s one of the best written in the game

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Basically all of that. He also fits extremely well into Black Eagles when cross recruited and has great unique fight conversations for the route as well as having some of the best endings in the game.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Lorenz is functional as a pure mage but he’s still one of your worst options. Him not doubling doesn’t really matter as none of your mages will double on Maddening and Ragnarok can still one shot some enemies even on Maddening but even on Deer once you have an alternative option there’s no need to deploy him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I generally use Raphael until I have better options and he’s very useful early on but much like Dedue he falls off incredibly hard and he’s not nearly as helpful as Dedue is early game. Still better then Caspar though