Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window
Bookstore employee Mikado always had a tendency to see creepy things. He had lived his life pretending he didn't see these things but then he has a fateful encounter with an exorcist named Hiyakawa. Mikado ends up being forced to help out with exorcism duties and has to deal with the embarrassing fact that exorcising these things with Hiyakawa somehow feels really good. While getting dragged into dealing with these cases every day, they run into a cold-blooded murder case. Enjoy a new kind of horror mystery created by total opposites!
MAL | PV | PV

Watch on Crunchyroll

Characters

Rihito Hiyakawa - A psychic who runs a "cleaning" agency that investigates and exorcises paranormal incidents including ghosts and curses. He views Mikado as his destiny.

Kousuke Mikado - A bookstore employee who lives with his mother. He is able to see ghosts and uses his glasses to distinguish between living people and the dead.

Keita Mukae - A psychic who works as a fortune teller. He is suspicious of Hiyakawa.

Erika Hiura - A mysterious high school girl whose name repeatedly comes up in cases related to curses.

Hiroki Hanzawa - A detective who hires Hiyakawa as a consultant on cases involving the supernatural. He doesn't believe in anything he can't see.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
-reserved-

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 10, 2021

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Watching this and Mieruko-chan back to back is a delight,

local girl bullied by ghosts vs Power Couple Gay Men hurl ghosts into the fires of reincarnation with power of prostate massage, and also solve crimes

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It seems to be a pretty solid spooky season although I'm not watching Mieruko-chan, but I checked out some of the ghost designs and they look pretty creepy.

That's one thing I kinda wish this show was going more in on, the "spectral" effect on the ghosts doesn't really make them look as gross as I feel like they ought to be. In the manga they weren't like, super grotesque but they had kind of an understated creepy feeling because they were basically drawn like people but with something very off in most cases. That also aligns more with how Mikado has trouble figuring out who is a ghost and who is alive without taking his glasses off, because they don't look *that* different from regular people until you look closer.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 4, 2021

musouka
Apr 24, 2009
I was surprised to see them showing Hiyakawa having a little snack so early in the series. It makes for a great WTF moment to end the episode on, but I sort of miss the context in the manga where he was doing it as a way to try to compromise with Mikado’s sense of morality—better to recycle than pollute, right?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah. TBH while I'm glad they kinda jumped right into the meaty stuff in the first episode that was at the expense of some of the character-establishing scenes you get in the first volume. They're apparently also releasing like 5 drama cds of content that didn't fit into the show not that any of that is likely to filter over here for us :(

Digest of the first ep and preview of ep 2 (preview starts at around 1:50 if you want to jump right to it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCYSqqZ9Mmw

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
toilet monster cg could have been a little nicer :\ the isolation effects were good though -- I liked how disorienting Mukae's was, seeing it motion. Also the watercolor-y "inner space" effect was pretty neat when Mikado and Hiyakawa are isolated. Hiyakawa really letting his creep side show lol.

Mukae is a pretty important character not just because he would be a way better boyfriend but his commentary on how Mikado is getting treated drives home how Hiyakawa is not a good guy and is taking liberties he shouldn't be taking (basically, the story isn't condoning his actions and is relaying that via Mukae that he's very shady just in case it's not already been abundantly clear). Obviously I'm coming at this from reading the manga so I've seen a lot more of the plot than 2 episodes (which tbh means I'm trying to refrain from saying too much and getting into spoilers) but there's a lot of discussion in this around consent and boundaries and having agency to decide whether or not to engage intimately with someone -- in this story none of that is literally about sex but the soul touching thing is very eroticized so it's an obvious parallel and Yamashita uses a lot of the same imagery and language that's common in BL to portray it. So you are meant to take it that way but also like, it's being done with a lot of awareness of BL tropes and in a very deliberate way. I'm hoping that's not going to be lost in the adaption the way they're focusing more on plot than character building though.

There's an extra chapter in the first volume that they skipped over and it's a really fun scene but is also the first introduction of the astral projection thing so I wish they'd had room to include it. I feel like the pacing went really fast through everything and wonder if they're trying to get all the way to the end (the manga is completed so they probably could). If they are I understand the need to move things along but I think some of the character building you get with the manga is getting lost. Like they also left out Hanzawa during the possession right at the end so you lose stuff like this:

It makes it kind of dry when they're leaving out all the jokes :(

Anyway --

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 11, 2021

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh also we have the real OP/ED with this episode now. I think I like the ED song better, it feels like it suits the show more than the OP.

I checked out the video for the full song and whoa, it was definitely made with the original story in mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugjk74rpHIU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ep3 is up

This is frustrating -- early in the episode Erica shows up to talk to Hiyakawa and Mikado and they have this conversation:

This is the same conversation in the manga:

Obviously I have no idea what the line in Japanese is but based on the official manga translation and just the actual context of the scene this seems to be a translation error not a deliberate change. Even going by nothing but the subs from the show, when Erica says "I'd like you to quit your work" and Hiyakawa asks "what work" she's referring to, she responds "curse peddler" which is HER JOB not his, so she was obviously referring to herself and her own work. This is the whole reason she reaches out to them -- she wants help getting out.

I wanted to go ahead and post this so that anyone watching this ep doesn't get confused about what her motivations are.

e: this bit is also messed up and makes no sense as a deliberate change

I thought the main case of the episode was pretty well done though, nice and creepy.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/sankakumado_PR/status/1454463116180340738?s=20