Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Under 30s don't count because you had the internet but back in my day we had to have a physical copy of the music we listened to handy if we wanted music. That or the radio and the radio was as bad back then as it is now.

I figure 15 is an interesting age to pick because it's about when your first stage of music appreciation has matured and you're on the cusp of moving onto listening to a bigger variety of genres and shedding the more childish things.

15 was when I first started getting into trip-hop and a little hip hop thanks to a new friend I'd made from England and I got over grunge. I didn't stop liking most of what I enjoyed before but it wasn't as interesting.

This is as best as I can remember every record I owned at 15.

Nirvana: Nevermind.

Soundgarden: Superunknown.

Pearl Jam: Ten

Pearl Jam: Vitalogy.

Pearl Jam: Vs

Faith No More: The Real Thing.

Faith No More: Angel Dust.

Faith No More: King for a Day Fool for a Lifetime.

Primus: Sailing in the Seas of Cheese.

Primus: Tales from the Punchbowl.

Mr Bungle: Self Titled

Mr Bungle: Disco Volante.

Jimi Hendrix: It was a best of album, I dunno. The Best of Jimi Hendrix?

Led Zeppelin: Self Titled

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon

Rage Against The Machine: Self Titled.

There's not a huge variety there. I listened to more but that's what I went out in my baggy pants and airwalks to pay $30 for. I don't hate any of it now but the only thing there I would still sit down and listen to is Dark Side of the Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I had a poo poo-ton of albums and CD singles :corsair: by Radiohead, Manic Street Preachers, and Travis in my collection. I also had some classic stuff by the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rory Gallagher and Donovan.

e: The Holy Bible. On repeat. Forever.

https://youtu.be/rl2Jv4dzFqg

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 5, 2021

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I wasn't really allowed to buy CDs at 15. Apparently I'd grow out of it and get bored and then it was a waste of money.

I only really started buying music when I was out of high school.

Had some bangers tho.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Around that age I would have had like uhh

Jethro Tull - Original Masters
Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View
Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming
Frank Zappa - Strictly Commercial
Pizzicato Five - Made in USA
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Bjork - Debut
Spin Doctors - Pocket Full of Kryptonite
Final Fantasy: Love Will Grow (I dunno who to credit this to honestly, it's a compilation with lyrics and poo poo)

I dunno that's what I can remember OP. Most of the time I just listened to the radio or whatever my dad was playing

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Well you picked a good age for me, cause its when i started actaully having cds that werent just loving Sailor Moon DIC Cds and Presidents of the United States Albums. ( i was a cringe queer when i was young ).

The year : 2001

Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory
Lost Prophets: The Fake Sound of Progress
Gorillaz: Self Titled
Toxicity: System of a Down
Mushroomhead XX
Daft Punk: Discovery
Presidents of the United States of America: Self Titled
Presidents of the United States of America: II
Presidents of the United States of America: Pure Frosting
Presidents of the United States of America: Freaked Out And Small
Sailor Moon: Songs from the Hit TV Series
Sailor Moon & The Scouts - Lunarock
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
Fight Club Soundtrack Album By the Dust Brothers
Ill Niño Revolution Revolución

Used to play kung fu mod on Max Payne while high on pain meds cause i was sick as poo poo all the time as a teen.

Was a pretty big deal cause before 2000-2001 i really didnt have poo poo for music.

Talkc fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 5, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Talkc posted:

Presidents of the United States of America: Self Titled
Presidents of the United States of America: II
Presidents of the United States of America: Pure Frosting
Presidents of the United States of America: Freaked Out And Small

God drat I know the POTUS from the Peaches song. I had no idea they went to make 3 more albums.

signalnoise posted:

Alice in Chains - Dirt

I wish I'd been exposed to Alice in Chains back then because imo Alice in Chains is the best of grunge. I wish 15yo me had been singing along to Rooster or Would instead of Alive and Animal.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

God drat I know the POTUS from the Peaches song. I had no idea they went to make 3 more albums.

They made albums all the way into the new 2010s.

They made like 8 albums. Good poo poo all of it. Some are compilations of their touring stuff and B Sides, some of its just studio stuff.

They were my favorite band until i got deep into They Might Be Giants in recent years.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I wish I'd been exposed to Alice in Chains back then because imo Alice in Chains is the best of grunge. I wish 15yo me had been singing along to Rooster or Would instead of Alive and Animal.

I have bounced around tons of genres and I have my favorite bands out of those basically as whatever really stuck even after I moved to some other genre. Through shibuya-kei, bossa, hip hop, whatever else, I don't listen to grunge anymore except for that album. It might be my favorite album of all time really, though there's contenders but it's easily a top 5 or something.

Talkc posted:

They were my favorite band until i got deep into They Might Be Giants in recent years.

Oh yeah, I had Flood too. That was a great album, shout out to Tiny Toons

danjal
Jun 10, 2009

The older I get the less I care.
NIN - The Fragile
Moby - Play
ICP - Jake Jackle Brothers
South Park Cheif Aid
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Silver Chair - Frogstomp

Napster became a god sent, CD prices in Australia where horrific!

danjal fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 5, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

signalnoise posted:

I have bounced around tons of genres and I have my favorite bands out of those basically as whatever really stuck even after I moved to some other genre. Through shibuya-kei, bossa, hip hop, whatever else, I don't listen to grunge anymore except for that album. It might be my favorite album of all time really, though there's contenders but it's easily a top 5 or something.

I'd heard some Alice in Chains when I was a kid, when it was contemporary but for whatever reason it just never took here. I was in my 30s before I really got into them. To my mind they are rural American kids - the band. You show me a picture of some rust belt or fuckass nowhere desert town and Alice in Chains is the soundtrack to that place.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
On the subject of TMBG one of the absolute killers of their older songs, requires THE STICK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE2q-1xA4w0

I feel linell gets a lot of spotlight cause of songs like birdhouse in your soul but flansburgh kills it on this track with nothing but vocals and a heavily modified log

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'd heard some Alice in Chains when I was a kid, when it was contemporary but for whatever reason it just never took here. I was in my 30s before I really got into them. To my mind they are rural American kids - the band. You show me a picture of some rust belt or fuckass nowhere desert town and Alice in Chains is the soundtrack to that place.

Well, do yourself a favor and don't get in a position to relate to the lyrics

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
Beastie Boys - Licence to Ill

Not sure I had anymore CD's then, its was all still about (mainly dubbed) cassettes.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

It was 1995, so the Woodstock ‘94 compilation obviously.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

signalnoise posted:

Well, do yourself a favor and don't get in a position to relate to the lyrics

Why? Were they racist? Aww, they were racist weren't they?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

its actually aggro rap rock like linkin park

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

weezer blue album and downward spiral on repeat until i die from jacking off too much

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Poohs Packin posted:

its actually aggro rap rock like linkin park

Yeah they were some angry kids that dropped a beat from time to time but so what? We were all dropping beats back then and real mad about how things was.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Let's see about 2003

Eminem - The Eminem Show
Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
Metallica - Kill Em' All
The Offspring - Americana
Iron Maiden - Brave New World
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
NWA - Straight Outta Compton

Those are some of what I remember

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
circa 2000? i lived in self inflicted music hell

bands/labels i was obsessive about:
- radiohead (starting with kid a, i liked all those weird little "blips" videos as well and stayed up late watching their weird webcasts). i knew two (2) other radiohead fans in school
- ECM records. my drama teacher in school had used tracks from "rites" by jan garbarek which i guess is an album of mainly airy fairy world music with a bit of nu-jazz going on. i bought that album and this resuted in me going in hard on the airy fairy poo poo and having music taste that horribly isolated me from everyone around me for several years. i liked jan garbarek, pat metheny, terje rypdal and a few others i think. never got into keith jarrett at that time because for some reason i didn't like solo piano when i was 15.
- warp records - i think when i was 15 i was only just getting into that kind of stuff because i distinctly remember seeing a review of boards of canada's geogaddi on teletext, and thinking it looked good and buying it only having listened to one track on the website (these were days of poverty). the guy in the record shop asked if i was buying it by mistake because the cover looked like the new chemical brothers album (which i didn't buy). i also distinctly remember pissing off everyone around me by listening to aphex twin's drukqs on cheap lovely little earbuds

other things i had on CD:

- gorillaz: gorillaz - i was self conscious about how weird the first track was
- massive attack: mezzanine - my dad liked it and later on i tried to get him into other massive attack records but he didn't like them.
- groove armada: vertigo - this was my one chillout record that i had. it was ok
- jamiroquai: synkronized - i bought this because of the godzilla movie. i liked the instrumental track "destitute illusions"
- alanis morrissette: jagged little pill - i'm pretty sure i ordered this from britannia music club (i ordered mezzanine from there as well)
- orbital: the altogether - thought it was crap

it makes me sad to think about how much akwardness, isolation, conflict and outright abuse i had to suffer as a teenager at that time just to listen to the loving music i liked. i am glad nobody has to sit with their dick in their hand wondering whether or not they want to purchase a loving compact disc any more, and that those days are gone and soon to be forgotten

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Self inflicted music hell? There's a lot of extremely good poo poo there.

- orbital: the altogether - thought it was crap

I have never had trips like I had listening to the Orbital.

- massive attack: mezzanine - my dad liked it and later on i tried to get him into other massive attack records but he didn't like them.

That is one of the best albums ever. If you have a top 100 albums of the 19th century that has to be on it somewhere. You can argue its position from 1-100 based on taste it deserves a spot somewhere.

- Radiohead are one of the greatest bands in the history of music.

Goons of a certain age are really insecure about the music they liked in their formative years because they associate it with their lack of social success but Radiohead is just really good music.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I had a poo poo-ton of albums and CD singles :corsair: by Radiohead, Manic Street Preachers, and Travis in my collection. I also had some classic stuff by the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rory Gallagher and Donovan.

e: The Holy Bible. On repeat. Forever.

https://youtu.be/rl2Jv4dzFqg

Hah Travis, you big lame

(Same)

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
CDs nutz

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I had a sweet devil emoji sticker on a 40+ semi-hard case. I left it at a hotel. This helped me cultivate a hold on tightly let go lightly state of mind with my possessions but especially with regards to my music collection

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lotta icp twiztid and techno

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Why? Were they racist? Aww, they were racist weren't they?

They're really sad. Dirt has a bunch of songs about the misery of addiction and feelings of being helpless and not worth helping. Alice in Chains didn't narrate a story like Pearl Jam did, so they weren't going to just say "ohhhhhhh my heroinnnnn addictionnnnnnnnnn nnhrmmmhyhahhh" but God Smack and Junkhead are pretty clear. Layne Staley often wrote songs about his own addiction to heroin, and the songs that aren't about that on Dirt are still really, really rough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I bought my first album when I was 15 and it was Jewel - Spirit. Everybody likes to make fun of Jewel now but that was my gateway into other folk singer-songwriters and you know what, idc that album still slaps. My hands are small I know but they're not yours they are my own!!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
CDs? Uh, none at that age. They were on the market by then but hadn't really replaced analog media yet and I didn't even own a CD player until I was like 20.

Did have some LPs and some tapes though. Some random then-contemporary pop poo poo that I mostly don't remember anymore, from before I started actually forming an interest in music. When I was about 14 I started getting into "real" rock music and collected things like every Bruce Springsteen album that existed at the time. Also some of what we'd call "heavy rock" such as Bon Jovi or Europe.

Then just before I turned 16 I started high school and discovered "real" metal, pretty sure I managed to acquire at least one album each by Metallica, Slayer and Iron Maiden while I was still 15.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
For every store bought CD I had, I burned about 5 music cds full of crap I picked up from shady websites and kazaa so I could play it all on my disc-man.

The ones I bought were amongst others; Best of Guns N Roses (Loved that poo poo, but looking at it now its an abysmal "best of" album), Metallica's S&M, Offspring's Americana, the first 2 Linkin Park CDs and a shitton of singles from Eminem, Limp Bizkit and that one Smooth Criminal cover by Alien Ant Farm...

Its funny how locked on I was to metal back then, meanwhile these days I listen to every genre of music. The internet and access to online music options really helped to broaden my horizon.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
no CD, 8 track

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Still had cassettes at that age. I don't think I got my first CD player until I was 18.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
In 1995 I was 15-16 and the only ones I distinctly remember were all the Beastie boys albums that had been released up to that point. Probably the Beavis and butthead experience, and maybe a few random Beatles and or beach boys albums.

Fake edit: drat! All that poo poo starting with 'bea'!

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Nothing but nofx and the offspring baby

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Just pulling from memory I had:

A bunch of Green Day
They Might Be Giants
Nine Inch Nails
Korn

I was a loving cool kid oh my god what happened to me

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Been saying this

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Blunted on Reality
Illmatic
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
The Sun Rises in the East
Funkdafied
Ready to Die
The Most Beautifullest Thing in This World
Blowout Comb
Nervous Breakdown
Tical
Dare Iz a Darkside
Creepin on ah Come Up

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I turned 15 in '92 so my collection would've been nothing but Metallica, Slayer, Black Sabbath, Megadeth and the Led Zeppelin box set. When you're still in early high school and figuring yourself out, you kinda pick a lane and stick to it for awhile I guess.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I got free tool and red hot chili peppers CDs from a classmate who found Jesus.

Thanks, Jesus.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I remember finding a used copy of the Lost Boys soundtrack at a yard sale. That bad boy stayed in my walkman for weeks.

There was also that time I listened to The Downward Spiral on my walkman while playing through the campaign of Quake, only to find out that Trent Reznor did the soundtrack when I saw the end credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I did not have CDs when I was 15.

I do still have an Alice in Chains cassette somewhere though