Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Im very white and for some reason i had a CeeLo Green album.

Probably because of the Brak show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
At 15 I had a pretty decent collection going.

Pet Shop Boys - all of their albums up through Disco 3.

Tears for Fears - all of their albums up through Raoul and the Kings of Spain.

New Order - Substance 1987

Franz Ferdinand - debut

The Strokes - Is This It

The National - debut

REM - Monster, New Adventures, and Reveal

…and then all of the Final Fantasy soundtracks bought from a local import store. Yes I am a goon.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

my parents got me a cd player and a copy of human clay by creed when i was 14. i traded it for weird als running with scissors. one of the best decisions i ever made.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I had excellent taste. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Weezer. Timeless classics

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

When I turned 15? Almost nothing but rap. N.W.A, Eazy-E, Wu Tang, Warren G, Nas, Beatnuts, Ice Cube, etc. etc. But by the time I turned 16 it was literally this:

Hell Yeah posted:

weezer blue album and downward spiral on repeat until i die from jacking off too much

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I was an odd one when I was a teen. I didn't have CD's but I had mix tapes that I recorded from other people's CD's, off TV/Radio and off LP's. An example would be

Traci Lords - Control https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRX_ZMn6LBw
Orbital - Halcyin _ on+ on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ekUQTpVohg
George Michael - Too Funky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ2DVwSVIIo
B52's - Good Stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqfL6_6qEJY
Bass is Base - Funkmobile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctKAwgxpASQ (still a fave)
Basil Poledouris - The Kitchen/Orgy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2l--Px9vf0
Positive K - I've got a man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvYIpa1Ulvw

When I was a teen I was kind of out of the loop in terms of what was popular. For example, one day I showed up to school and everyone was wearing a Kurt Cobain shirt and I had no idea who that fucker was. I only liked a few modern (at the time) rocks songs and mostly liked techno, rap, pop and stuff that could be considered chillout or DNB. I was never into metal or aggro rock or whatever.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

My first cd was the Marshall Mather's LP and then I called my mom a human being for the lols and my dad broke the cd after listening to it. To this day I dont know what song he made it to but I doubt he got past Kill You

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I was into minidiscs by 15 but my non-CDR CDS were:

Aretha Franklin - I never loved a man the way I love you
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Chumbawumba - I get knocked down I get knocked down again you're never gonna knock me down(thanks mom!)
Whatever Shawn Colvin album had Sunny Came Home on it (thanks mom!)
Eels - Beautiful Freak
FF7 OST

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I was 15 when I made my first CD purchase. Dr. Dre - 2001 and Lil Wayne - Tha Block Is Hot.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
That would've been 2003 for me, so I was in an edgy bad rock phase.

Three Days Grace - Self Titled
Disturbed - Down with the Sickness
My Chemical Romance - You Brought Me your Bullets
Fall Out Boy - Take This to Your Grave
Green Day - Dookie

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Pretty sure 15 was the age I was when I got my first CD player. I already had a big tape collection. A lot of the first CDs I got were albums from bands I already liked and couldn’t find on tape. I think my first were

They Might Be Giants - Lincoln
Black Flag - the First Four Years
Dead Milkmen - Beelzebubba
Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
The Clash - London Calling
Metallica - And Justice For All
Butthole Surfers - Psychic… Powerless… Another Man’s Sac

I collected more over the next few years and had one of those big dumb towers that I took with to college only to have my apartment broken into and the entire thing stolen, maybe 50 CDs. ☹️

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

all I can recall with my head clouded by cider and a headache are the Petshop Boys CD that came in an orange jewelcase with LEGO like bumps and a Snoop Dogg cassette I bought because it had a comic inside (turned out Ol' Snoop finds the two connotations of the word 'bitch' simply hilarious)

e: both of those albums I hadn't even thought about in twenty years.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 5, 2021

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone remember Coldplay? I remember those CDs being so popular at Barnes & Noble back in the day.

Now I have a weird nostalgic connection between Coldplay, mass-market paperbacks, and Starbucks coffee.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I remember them being a thing like 10-15 years ago.
Can't tell you what music they played as I'm some weirdo who avoids mainstream, I just remember youngsters back then talking about it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

CDs didn't exist in 1985 :lol:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

a mysterious cloak posted:

CDs didn't exist in 1985 :lol:

They did but they were for rich people at that time. I remember a friend had both laserdiscs and CD's at his house. It was amazing.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Tarkus posted:

They did but they were for rich people at that time. I remember a friend had both laserdiscs and CD's at his house. It was amazing.

Those were the kind of friends that always had either a Neo Geo or one of the obsolete within a month piece of poo poo systems like a 3D0 or CD-i.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

at fifteen, my music collection was roughly equal parts Beatles, Beatles’ solo careers (largely George’s and John’s), Björk and “Weird Al” Yankovic. imo it’s not at all a bad nucleus around which to branch off and expand into a proper relationship with music as a whole, but of course I would say that

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I was 15 in 1993 and owned a ton of cassette tapes but few CDs. The first CD I remember buying was The Cure's album "Wish," which came out in 1992.

I can't remember all the tapes I owned at 15 but I do remember 1993 was the year the Afghan Whigs' album "Gentlemen" was released, and I was completely loving obsessed with it. I was an innocent Catholic school girl, and that album felt like my first glimpse into an adult world of twisted, toxic love, and OH MAN was that powerful stuff.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

HD DAD posted:

…and then all of the Final Fantasy soundtracks bought from a local import store. Yes I am a goon.

i am in my mid to late 30s and i spent several hours yesterday driving through the peak district as the sun went down with the Final Fantasy XIII-2 soundtrack on blast and i regret nothing.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

i am in my mid to late 30s and i spent several hours yesterday driving through the peak district as the sun went down with the Final Fantasy XIII-2 soundtrack on blast and i regret nothing.

Living the dream, my man.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Tarkus posted:

Your post made me think of the American Psycho Hewey Lewis scene. Looked it up and the movie was set in 1987.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzN3qO-qc8U

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Collective Soul - Hints, Allegations, and Things Left Unsaid; Collective Soul; Disciplined Breakdown; Dosage; Blender
Greenday - Dookie
Weezer - Blue Album
Aerosmith - Get a Grip, Big Ones, Big Ones
Phish - every album through 2000
Rage Against The Machine - Battle of Los Angeles
Santana - Abraxas, Santana, III, probably some greatest hits
Weird Al Yankovic - In 3D
Smashmouth - Fush Yu Mang
Days of the New - I and II
Alice in Chains - Unplugged, Dirt
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Impression That I Get
Soundtracks - Angus, Mission Impossible, Tomorrow Never Dies, The Matrix, Dumb and Dumber
Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Miles Davis and John Coltrane
The Offspring - Smash

And a handful of burned compilations including Staind, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Rage Against The Machine, Godsmack, etc

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I was fifteen in 1996 which was a pretty poo poo year for music. I had a fuckton of cassettes and my mom’s record collection, but didn’t get a CD player til that year, almost solely for bootlegs. Remember when used CD stores had an “import” section that was nothing but live poo poo and obscurities? That was my jam.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

When I was a teenager, I bought like 1000 records at auctions for pennies each. Then lost them over time because I'm dumb.

My first CDs were:

Green Day - Dookie
Fugees - The Score
Boyz II Men - The Remix Collection
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
Kid Frost - Hispanic Causing Panic
De La Soul - De La Soul is Dead

I think that's a decent start to a CD collection for the time.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Bulgaroctonus posted:

I was fifteen in 1996 which was a pretty poo poo year for music. I had a fuckton of cassettes and my mom’s record collection, but didn’t get a CD player til that year, almost solely for bootlegs. Remember when used CD stores had an “import” section that was nothing but live poo poo and obscurities? That was my jam.

I bought a lot of that stuff because I was a nerd and I remember classmates thinking my CD collection sucked because it was a lot of import singles with a capella, instrumentals, and b-sides. I used my school's G3 Macs to make a mashup of Eminem's "Just Don't Give a gently caress" over Beatnuts' "Watch Out Now.

I think that was one of those things back in the day that separated a casual music listener from someone who actually wanted to do something with music.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Like 15 Iron Maiden albums

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Slipknot
Staind
System Of A Down
Disturbed
Static-X
Limp Bizkit
Green Day
Offspring
Filter
Mudvayne
various other nu-metal bands that didnt make it very far

all downloaded from limewire or whatever p2p program i was using at the time

vizyeay
Oct 5, 2021

The glory of the Sassy
first album i bought was Paul's Boutique by the B-Boys, also got Demon Days and Master of Puppets that same year.
Somehow ended up turning into a love for Rage Against the Machine...
and then instrumental hip-hop...
and then electronic...
the worst timeline, truly.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Beatles (most of them)
Zeppelin (most of them)
AC/DC
Offspring
Marshall Mathers LP

That was basically it

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ralph Hurley posted:

Pretty sure 15 was the age I was when I got my first CD player. I already had a big tape collection. A lot of the first CDs I got were albums from bands I already liked and couldn’t find on tape. I think my first were

They Might Be Giants - Lincoln
Black Flag - the First Four Years
Dead Milkmen - Beelzebubba
Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
The Clash - London Calling
Metallica - And Justice For All
Butthole Surfers - Psychic… Powerless… Another Man’s Sac

I collected more over the next few years and had one of those big dumb towers that I took with to college only to have my apartment broken into and the entire thing stolen, maybe 50 CDs. ☹️

This is the best collection posted so far and pretty close to my tape collection. Fun story about those Dead Milkmen albums: I friggin LOVED (and still do to this day) that band but didn't have anything by them. My uncle was a garbage collector that was constantly picking cool poo poo out of the trash and came over one day and was like "hey bud, you like all that weird music right? Here ya go." and gave me Big Lizard in my Backyard, Beelzebubba, and Eat Your Paisley along with MOD-Gross Misconduct and Surfin' MOD and an live Anthrax VHS.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Mostly scraps, a $5 allowance doesn't run to many $25 CDs.

The Hives- Veni Vidi Vicious
Maybe had Incubus - Make yourself by that point
Silk Degrees by Boz Scaggs
Tapes of Mo ' Money Mo' Problems, It's Like That and BTO's greatest hits

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
So much fuckin Anti-Flag lmao

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I was 15 in 1979 so no CDs. I had plenty of songs taped off the radio but I deny owning some of it. I had a copy of Casey Casim's top forty for some random week in 78 but it's probably long gone.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I now recall that I got a bunch of cds from Columbia house or whatever the gently caress record club was around back in the mid 90s or so.
I'm going home this weekend, I should check out my cd shelf (holy gently caress remember those things?) and see which others I probably got around my 15 year mark.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

I had tons of CDs thanks to BMG, Columbia House or whatever those buy 1 CD get a poo poo ton free memberships

Some from that time I remember having

Green Day Dookie
Stone Temple Pilots Purple & Core
Soundgarden Superunknown
Alanis Morisette Jagged Little Pill
Beck Odelay
R.E.M Monster
RHCP One Hot Minute
Smashing Pumpkins Melon Collie...
Tom Petty Wildflowers

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i never really owned or bought cd's i just listened to it for free online (spotify, youtube, etc)

fartman
Sep 19, 2021
By about 15, I was able to build a little baby metal CD collection. There was some iron maiden, metallica, megadeth, slayer, cannibal corpse, obituary, and even CDs by bolt thrower and mayhem. Lot of good memories associated with those albums

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
Aaron Carter

Pink

I'm not joking unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheezel
Feb 23, 2011
Around 2000 my CD collection was (mostly pirated or burnt) Metallica, NIN, tool, soundgarden, foo fighters, pop will eat itself, prodigy, ramones, radiohead, weezer and my coveted 4 disc set of rock n roll hits - like one of those time life tv ones, I have no idea how I come to own it but I loved it. My grandma bought me a legit copy of Aenima in the end :3:

The only thing I don't still listen to is foo fighters, just overkill on the radio. The Colour and the Shape really still owns though.

Aside: something was busted in my CD player that track 1's never played without skipping and really fuckin up so I still don't really know a lot of the track 1's well

e; Just remembered I stole Metallicas' black album from a party so never had the cover or anything, no regerts either