Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Bat out of hell II that I open palm slapped into my Panasonic shockwave portable CD player with a full 10 second skip delay and I did all the power ballad moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
When I was 15, my CD collection was absolutely poo poo. This was probably due to the fact that the first CD would not be released for another 7 years. I did have a decent LP collection. Mostly classic rock (just called Rock back then), and soundtracks.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

EdsTeioh posted:

This is the best collection posted so far and pretty close to my tape collection. Fun story about those Dead Milkmen albums: I friggin LOVED (and still do to this day) that band but didn't have anything by them. My uncle was a garbage collector that was constantly picking cool poo poo out of the trash and came over one day and was like "hey bud, you like all that weird music right? Here ya go." and gave me Big Lizard in my Backyard, Beelzebubba, and Eat Your Paisley along with MOD-Gross Misconduct and Surfin' MOD and an live Anthrax VHS.

Dead Milkmen are stupid and cool. Big Lizard is a classic. They were oddly enough the first band I really noticed what the bass was doing, their bass player was great. I ordered a t shirt from an insert in one of their tapes (pre internet) and it finally came like six months later.

Gregoire
Feb 3, 2014
I wasn't allowed to buy any rap CD's. I eventually ignored this decree, but my first CD's were an eclectic bunch:

Dave Matthews-Before These Crowded Streets
Metallica-Master of Puppets(still headbang to this one)
Backstreet Boys-S/T
Led Zeppelin II
Rage Against the Machine-Evil Empire
Blink 182-Dude Ranch
That Lit album about quicksand and Las Vegas or something.

Not long after, I got more into punk and bought a bunch of classic and contemporary CD's. Rancid, Operation Ivy, Green Day, Sex Pistols, Suicide Machines were some of my favorites.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I turned 15 in late 1994 & spent most of 1995 at that age, so my collection was mainly hip hop if we’re talking (at the time) new stuff.

Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Dangerous Minds Soundtrack
Friday Soundtrack
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal
Tupac Shakur - Me Against the World
Nas - Illmatic
Warren G - Regulate… G-Funk Era
Outkast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
Too Short - Cocktails

There was also some R&B, pop, and alternative that I liked.

Boyz II Men - II
TLC - CrazySexyCool
Montell Jordan - This Is How We Do It
Hootie & the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View
Batman Forever Soundtrack
Green Day - Dookie
Portishead - Dummy
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Beck - Mellow Gold
Weezer - Weezer

And of course, the usual dad and mom rock like The Beatles, the Eagles, The Rolling Stones, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Elton John, the Motown/Stax/Atlantic sound, and various other ‘60s and ‘70s stuff.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Does the quake CD count? I did have a lot of NIN.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ralph Hurley posted:

Dead Milkmen are stupid and cool. Big Lizard is a classic. They were oddly enough the first band I really noticed what the bass was doing, their bass player was great. I ordered a t shirt from an insert in one of their tapes (pre internet) and it finally came like six months later.

I had that shirt also and lost it at some point, so I literally JUST ordered another one about a week ago.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

vizyeay posted:

first album i bought was Paul's Boutique by the B-Boys, also got Demon Days and Master of Puppets that same year.
Somehow ended up turning into a love for Rage Against the Machine...
and then instrumental hip-hop...
and then electronic...
the worst timeline, truly.

That reminds me, that as lovely as The Source was, especially the way Benzino used the magazine to promote his terrible albums and tried to use dirt on Eminem as a stepping stone for his rap career, their 100th anniversary issue had a list of all their 5 mic albums. I bought Paul's Boutique based off their recommendation as well as several others. They were good recommendations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CDs weren't a thing when I was 15 op we had tapes and liked it

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i remember the rich kid in highschool who had one of the first mp3 playeres out there. a sony i think

rear end in a top hat

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I had Hillary Duff and Avril Lavigne's first albums, and then a bunch of Now That's What I Call Music discs.

Still good :colbert:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Remember when you could get a free cd from some coke promotion and the choices were Dixie chicks and silverchair?

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

These. I think I got up to 12 or something before I stopped giving a gently caress.

The rest of my CD collection was rounded out with Ween, Tool, Eminem, Ludacris, various other rappers, and several classic rock albums so people knew I was still "with it". Also many, many film soundtracks. The soundtrack to "O Brother Where Art Thou?" was a particular favorite of mine as teenager. :shrug:

Nthing Final Fantasy soundtracks. Pretty sure they were Chinese bootlegs tho.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
90s Canadian kids probably remember the "Big Shiny Tunes Vol. __" Cds.

They had some good poo poo, gotta say.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I wasn't big on CD collecting, always preferred to use IRC/Kazaa for MP3s back in the day. The CDs I had were:

Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory
Alien Ant Farm- ANThology
Boxcar Racer- Boxcar Racer

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The cherry poppin daddies

Yikes

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
At 15, a bud of mine came back from the Czech Republic and showed me the video to Rammstein's song Sonne, which I guess was making the rounds on their MTV or whatever. It just clicked hard as poo poo for me, had to hunt down the album cause it was still import then. Huge fan since, hoping to see them live next year.

Since this would be 2002, I would probably also had Primus, Rage Against the Machine, AC/DC, Nine Inch Nails, and Bon Jovi's "It's My Life" which came free on the Gateway computer my mom bought burned onto a CD-RW.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Chinatown posted:

i remember the rich kid in highschool who had one of the first mp3 playeres out there. a sony i think

rear end in a top hat

fuckem

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

The Walrus posted:

The cherry poppin daddies

Yikes

Tbf, their hit song helped me make better sense of American Me, later on.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID

KID.. ROCK!

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

That would have been, what, 1998? Pop music, none at all, other than the soundtrack to Evita. Selecting ten Baroque albums, I had:

• Handel - Water Music
  • Handel - Acis and Galetea
  • Handel - Alcina
  • Handel - Rinaldo
  • Handel - Harpsichord concerti
  • Vivaldi - Four Seasons
  • Vivaldi - Mandolin concerti
  • Purcell - The Fairy Queen
  • Purcell - Come Ye Sons of Art
  • Jean-Phillippe Rameau - Les Indes Galantes

Others, too, but those I remember most fondly. Alcina remains my desert island opera.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Hmm, mostly have the same ones amongst my now far more varied collection. Though at 15 I didn't have a lot at all cos money.

Spiderbait
Jebediah
Superheist
Shihad
Frenzal Rhomb
Primus
JJJ Hottest 100 comps (Vol:4 most importantly)
Magazine comps (Recovery, Juice, Esky)
Music For Our Mother Ocean Vol:1 (This is still excellent go get it
311 (Not as much as I used to, maybe one album now cos it was one of the first I ever bought)

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 7, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

dustin.h posted:

That would have been, what, 1998? Pop music, none at all, other than the soundtrack to Evita. Selecting ten Baroque albums, I had:

• Handel - Water Music
  • Handel - Acis and Galetea
  • Handel - Alcina
  • Handel - Rinaldo
  • Handel - Harpsichord concerti
  • Vivaldi - Four Seasons
  • Vivaldi - Mandolin concerti
  • Purcell - The Fairy Queen
  • Purcell - Come Ye Sons of Art
  • Jean-Phillippe Rameau - Les Indes Galantes

Others, too, but those I remember most fondly. Alcina remains my desert island opera.

get in the locker

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
CD players weren't really mainstream yet in 1989. Wiki makes it sound like they were the poo poo back in the early 80s, but they really didn't make it till the latelate 80s and mostly early 90s. I think there was some breakout year during christmas where a company made an affordable one and it was the thing to have because overnight the stores went from tapes to CDs.

Anyway.

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
Iron Maiden - Live After Death (Mom used to wake me up with this)
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden - Killers
Misfits - Collection 1
Janes Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Pailhead - Trait
Bunch Duran Duran which I liked when I was like 8.

Probably a bunch of other random metal and punk and rap that was blowing up at the time. The 80s was quite the time for music, as much, if not moreso than the 90s.

I still listen to everything today. Do people even make new music anymore?

This was produced by Juno Reactor, some early psytrance awesome (At the time is was just called techno, which then split to trance, then finally psytrance years later and got boring with the basketball bass and triplets) . Traci Lords had a good ear and tossed her name on a lot of decent songs other people made.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 8, 2021

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Everclear - Sparkle and Fade
Charlie Daniels Band Greatest Hits
Ice Cube - Lethal Injection
NIN - The Downward Spiral
Aerosmith - Get a Grip
Garth Brooks - Roping The Wind
Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack

I didn't have a portable CD player yet, but I had one of these bad boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHE_ZipyfQc

Imagine Ice Cube's Ghetto Bird playing and my dad yelling to turn that poo poo down for the full experience.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm another one of the olds - CDs weren't really a thing when I was 15, and I didn't own any. Lots of records and cassette tapes, but CDs were still an expensive audiophile thing at that point.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Bach, The Ratpack Live at the Sands 1963, A radio recording of a Glenn Miller concert performed in West Germany, some bullshit world music CD I bought at Walden Books, and a mix CD-R of boomer protest rock.

My taste was better than yours. I knew it then. I know it now.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

get in the locker
Hey, Alcina is great. It's about a wicked sorceress (Alcina) who transforms all those stranded on her island into plants and animals until the fiancée (Bradamante) of one of her soon-to-be victims (Ruggiero), a courageous paladin with a magical lance disguised as a man, comes to rescue him, destroying* Alcina's magical charm that keeps her young and beautiful, transforming her into a thousand year old witch and restoring her victims to human form. Here's "Non è amor, né gelosia" ("This is not love nor jealousy"), my absolute favorite of Handel's trios, featuring Alcinia, Bradamante, and Ruggiero. And Ruggiero's aria "Sta nell'Ircana pietrosa tana" ("In her rocky Hycanian lair"). Really, I could cite a dozen great arias from Alcina. And Alcina is super short at about 75 minutes when most Baroque operas are in excess of three hours.

And in The Fairy Queen, a drunken poet emerges from audience and the fairy (a "damned tormenting punk", according to the poet) and her lackeys attack him, pinching him forty-forty times until he confesses his crime of being a drunk, crap poet, then pinching him forty-forty more times as a punishment until he passes out. Baroque operas are wild.

* Bradamante's magical lance is a gun in this performance

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

Philthy posted:

Pailhead - Trait
Bunch Duran Duran which I liked when I was like 8.

Maybe you had some on cassette, but I found Pailhead odd without some Ministry or Fugazi on the list.

I was too much into Duran Duran but more at like 11-12. If anyone still likes Duran Duran, you should check out Japan, with David Sylvian.

I am drawing a complete blank on any other CDs I had at 15, but the very first was Skinny Puppy's Too Dark Park

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Timely thread. I just cleaned out some old poo poo of mind and found a CD I burned in 2005

Three Doors Down - Kryptonite
The Tea Party - Writings on the Wall
Billy Talent - Try Honesty
The Clash - Rock the Casbah
Maroon 5 - Harder to Breath
Blur - Song #2
Kasabian - Club Foot
Coldplay - Clocks
The Cult - She sells Sanctuary
Edgar Winter Group - Free Ride
Edwin Star - War
James Brown - Living in America
John Mayer - Bigger than my Body
Everlast - What it's Like
R.E.M. - Losing my Religion
Rolling Stones - Paint it Black
Daft Punk - Around the World
Crystal Method - Keep Hope Alive

I have no idea what I was thinking, really.

wesleywillis posted:

90s Canadian kids probably remember the "Big Shiny Tunes Vol. __" Cds.

They had some good poo poo, gotta say.
Man I kept buying those until Vol 10, because it was mostly emo music. I was really disappointed—the albums before it were great.

old beast lunatic posted:

Does the quake CD count? I did have a lot of NIN.
I used to play that during halloween, because I was a cool edgy 12 year old and I'd never heard of NIN.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 8, 2021

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Chemical Brothers - Keep Hope Alive

Isn't that The Chrystal Method?

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

When I was 15 or I guess maybe 14 since The Downward Spiral came out in 1994, I tried to buy it and the long-haired record store clerk guy wouldn't sell it to me because of the Explicit Lyrics label.

So I moped around the store waiting for my mom to finish shopping there and the dude actually came and found me and said "hey your mom won't kill me if I sell this to you, will she?" and I said NO NOT AT ALL even though she would have HATED me listening to that album at the time, and I got it and I'm forever grateful to that dude because that album was really significant in turning me on to a heap of other things. Thank u record store clerk wherever u are, I hope you're at peace and happy

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
i burned all of my cds and put the burned copies in the cd cases and then put the original in a giant cd book with the cd cover insert in the spot next to it, it looks real cool and i spent a lot of money on it back in the day. but my cat peed on it when she was stressed out right after i moved last year

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Floodixor posted:

Isn't that The Chrystal Method?

Oh yeah, you're right. I wrote that down wrong on the CD case.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Oh yeah, you're right. I wrote that down wrong on the CD case.

I figured, I get it, like rolling the dice with accurate song artists/titles from Kazaa downloads and whatnot.

Like I thought the Replacement's (great) song "Anywhere Is Better Than Here" was the Goo Goo Dolls for a decade.

Though, to be fair, the GGD tried very hard earlier in their career to mimic the Replacements as best they could - and they did a pretty good job, as superstar car wash and a boy named goo are really good albums IMO. Then they scored a hit with "Iris" and began their trudge into "adult modern rock" slog but oh well

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

wankel13b posted:

Maybe you had some on cassette, but I found Pailhead odd without some Ministry or Fugazi on the list.

Yep, love those bands, too, but never listened to them until much later. At the time, I was skating, and this was my first taste of both those bands. I had NO IDEA who anyone was at the time, the Pailhead songs were just playing CONSTANTLY at the minipipes we skated. I think Pailhead was featured in a few skate videos, so it wormed its way around. 15 was the transition from my Iron Maiden metal days over to skate punk and rap stuff.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 8, 2021

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
lots of stuff like nofx, rancid, pennywise, bad religion. thursday, underoath, taking back sunday, poison the well, from autumn to ashes, elliott smith, samiam, piebald.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

wankel13b posted:

I was too much into Duran Duran but more at like 11-12. If anyone still likes Duran Duran, you should check out Japan, with David Sylvian.

Yeah well, out of all the 80s pop music I can remember, Duran Duran at least lands on the respectable and not-crap side of the aisle. After I turned into a teenage metalhead I mostly ignored and disdained contemporary pop music as a whole but in hindsight it was a land of contrasts, as always. Some skillful and cool musicians among them.

Having thought a bit more, I think the first CD I actually owned was Twillight of the Gods by Bathory, which I must have bought in 1991 or early 1992. At which point I still did not have a CD player because I had to go to a friend's house and make a copy on a tape so I could listen to it.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I got hardcore into ska.

I was allowed Five Iron Frenzy (my first concert!) when I got lucky enough to find their stuff, and ironically this marked my descent into godless pinko queerdom. Tbf, they're pretty heathen pinko these days, too, put out a new album pretty recently, and the lyrics aren't subtle. By 15 I had everything they put out to that date.

The other bands, I wasn't lucky enough to find, as it was right after ska wasn't really cool, but Reel Big Fish and the like were regulars in downloads.

I also had the FLCL soundtracks, imported back when Rhino games existed instead of just Gamestop. No one was happy when GS took over.

Mainstream stuff was scattershot:

Franz Ferdinand (kept up with their albums until the fourth one- as an artgay I fell in love with them after their dada-esque video for Take Me Out)
System of a Down
Weezer
The White Stripes
The Presidents of the Untied States of America
Nirvana
Weird Al
Nine Inch Nails- it is of particular interest to me that the Downward Spiral has had such an impact on so many in this thread. NIN is a big deal band, so of course it's popped up a lot, but that particular album really seems to stick in a lot of minds. At times, I go back to it and mull things over. It's good for being moody to. I'm glad Reznor is doing better than he was, the clips of him later saying that an artist need not be miserable to make art means a lot to me.

Weirdly, the only bands I can't really go back to are SoaD and Nirvana? I don't think either of them are bad these days, but it just doesn't feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Didn't own a single music CD as a teenager. I didn't care for music or spend any time listening to music, at most it was background noise via the radio or a part of computer games. I think I've bought less than 5 music CDs in my life up till now.