Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Around that age I would have had like uhh

Jethro Tull - Original Masters
Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View
Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming
Frank Zappa - Strictly Commercial
Pizzicato Five - Made in USA
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Bjork - Debut
Spin Doctors - Pocket Full of Kryptonite
Final Fantasy: Love Will Grow (I dunno who to credit this to honestly, it's a compilation with lyrics and poo poo)

I dunno that's what I can remember OP. Most of the time I just listened to the radio or whatever my dad was playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I wish I'd been exposed to Alice in Chains back then because imo Alice in Chains is the best of grunge. I wish 15yo me had been singing along to Rooster or Would instead of Alive and Animal.

I have bounced around tons of genres and I have my favorite bands out of those basically as whatever really stuck even after I moved to some other genre. Through shibuya-kei, bossa, hip hop, whatever else, I don't listen to grunge anymore except for that album. It might be my favorite album of all time really, though there's contenders but it's easily a top 5 or something.

Talkc posted:

They were my favorite band until i got deep into They Might Be Giants in recent years.

Oh yeah, I had Flood too. That was a great album, shout out to Tiny Toons

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'd heard some Alice in Chains when I was a kid, when it was contemporary but for whatever reason it just never took here. I was in my 30s before I really got into them. To my mind they are rural American kids - the band. You show me a picture of some rust belt or fuckass nowhere desert town and Alice in Chains is the soundtrack to that place.

Well, do yourself a favor and don't get in a position to relate to the lyrics

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Why? Were they racist? Aww, they were racist weren't they?

They're really sad. Dirt has a bunch of songs about the misery of addiction and feelings of being helpless and not worth helping. Alice in Chains didn't narrate a story like Pearl Jam did, so they weren't going to just say "ohhhhhhh my heroinnnnn addictionnnnnnnnnn nnhrmmmhyhahhh" but God Smack and Junkhead are pretty clear. Layne Staley often wrote songs about his own addiction to heroin, and the songs that aren't about that on Dirt are still really, really rough.