Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I got hardcore into ska.

I was allowed Five Iron Frenzy (my first concert!) when I got lucky enough to find their stuff, and ironically this marked my descent into godless pinko queerdom. Tbf, they're pretty heathen pinko these days, too, put out a new album pretty recently, and the lyrics aren't subtle. By 15 I had everything they put out to that date.

The other bands, I wasn't lucky enough to find, as it was right after ska wasn't really cool, but Reel Big Fish and the like were regulars in downloads.

I also had the FLCL soundtracks, imported back when Rhino games existed instead of just Gamestop. No one was happy when GS took over.

Mainstream stuff was scattershot:

Franz Ferdinand (kept up with their albums until the fourth one- as an artgay I fell in love with them after their dada-esque video for Take Me Out)
System of a Down
Weezer
The White Stripes
The Presidents of the Untied States of America
Nirvana
Weird Al
Nine Inch Nails- it is of particular interest to me that the Downward Spiral has had such an impact on so many in this thread. NIN is a big deal band, so of course it's popped up a lot, but that particular album really seems to stick in a lot of minds. At times, I go back to it and mull things over. It's good for being moody to. I'm glad Reznor is doing better than he was, the clips of him later saying that an artist need not be miserable to make art means a lot to me.

Weirdly, the only bands I can't really go back to are SoaD and Nirvana? I don't think either of them are bad these days, but it just doesn't feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU