Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Under 30s don't count because you had the internet but back in my day we had to have a physical copy of the music we listened to handy if we wanted music. That or the radio and the radio was as bad back then as it is now.

I figure 15 is an interesting age to pick because it's about when your first stage of music appreciation has matured and you're on the cusp of moving onto listening to a bigger variety of genres and shedding the more childish things.

15 was when I first started getting into trip-hop and a little hip hop thanks to a new friend I'd made from England and I got over grunge. I didn't stop liking most of what I enjoyed before but it wasn't as interesting.

This is as best as I can remember every record I owned at 15.

Nirvana: Nevermind.

Soundgarden: Superunknown.

Pearl Jam: Ten

Pearl Jam: Vitalogy.

Pearl Jam: Vs

Faith No More: The Real Thing.

Faith No More: Angel Dust.

Faith No More: King for a Day Fool for a Lifetime.

Primus: Sailing in the Seas of Cheese.

Primus: Tales from the Punchbowl.

Mr Bungle: Self Titled

Mr Bungle: Disco Volante.

Jimi Hendrix: It was a best of album, I dunno. The Best of Jimi Hendrix?

Led Zeppelin: Self Titled

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon

Rage Against The Machine: Self Titled.

There's not a huge variety there. I listened to more but that's what I went out in my baggy pants and airwalks to pay $30 for. I don't hate any of it now but the only thing there I would still sit down and listen to is Dark Side of the Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Talkc posted:

Presidents of the United States of America: Self Titled
Presidents of the United States of America: II
Presidents of the United States of America: Pure Frosting
Presidents of the United States of America: Freaked Out And Small

God drat I know the POTUS from the Peaches song. I had no idea they went to make 3 more albums.

signalnoise posted:

Alice in Chains - Dirt

I wish I'd been exposed to Alice in Chains back then because imo Alice in Chains is the best of grunge. I wish 15yo me had been singing along to Rooster or Would instead of Alive and Animal.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

signalnoise posted:

I have bounced around tons of genres and I have my favorite bands out of those basically as whatever really stuck even after I moved to some other genre. Through shibuya-kei, bossa, hip hop, whatever else, I don't listen to grunge anymore except for that album. It might be my favorite album of all time really, though there's contenders but it's easily a top 5 or something.

I'd heard some Alice in Chains when I was a kid, when it was contemporary but for whatever reason it just never took here. I was in my 30s before I really got into them. To my mind they are rural American kids - the band. You show me a picture of some rust belt or fuckass nowhere desert town and Alice in Chains is the soundtrack to that place.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

signalnoise posted:

Well, do yourself a favor and don't get in a position to relate to the lyrics

Why? Were they racist? Aww, they were racist weren't they?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Poohs Packin posted:

its actually aggro rap rock like linkin park

Yeah they were some angry kids that dropped a beat from time to time but so what? We were all dropping beats back then and real mad about how things was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Self inflicted music hell? There's a lot of extremely good poo poo there.

- orbital: the altogether - thought it was crap

I have never had trips like I had listening to the Orbital.

- massive attack: mezzanine - my dad liked it and later on i tried to get him into other massive attack records but he didn't like them.

That is one of the best albums ever. If you have a top 100 albums of the 19th century that has to be on it somewhere. You can argue its position from 1-100 based on taste it deserves a spot somewhere.

- Radiohead are one of the greatest bands in the history of music.

Goons of a certain age are really insecure about the music they liked in their formative years because they associate it with their lack of social success but Radiohead is just really good music.