Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
circa 2000? i lived in self inflicted music hell

bands/labels i was obsessive about:
- radiohead (starting with kid a, i liked all those weird little "blips" videos as well and stayed up late watching their weird webcasts). i knew two (2) other radiohead fans in school
- ECM records. my drama teacher in school had used tracks from "rites" by jan garbarek which i guess is an album of mainly airy fairy world music with a bit of nu-jazz going on. i bought that album and this resuted in me going in hard on the airy fairy poo poo and having music taste that horribly isolated me from everyone around me for several years. i liked jan garbarek, pat metheny, terje rypdal and a few others i think. never got into keith jarrett at that time because for some reason i didn't like solo piano when i was 15.
- warp records - i think when i was 15 i was only just getting into that kind of stuff because i distinctly remember seeing a review of boards of canada's geogaddi on teletext, and thinking it looked good and buying it only having listened to one track on the website (these were days of poverty). the guy in the record shop asked if i was buying it by mistake because the cover looked like the new chemical brothers album (which i didn't buy). i also distinctly remember pissing off everyone around me by listening to aphex twin's drukqs on cheap lovely little earbuds

other things i had on CD:

- gorillaz: gorillaz - i was self conscious about how weird the first track was
- massive attack: mezzanine - my dad liked it and later on i tried to get him into other massive attack records but he didn't like them.
- groove armada: vertigo - this was my one chillout record that i had. it was ok
- jamiroquai: synkronized - i bought this because of the godzilla movie. i liked the instrumental track "destitute illusions"
- alanis morrissette: jagged little pill - i'm pretty sure i ordered this from britannia music club (i ordered mezzanine from there as well)
- orbital: the altogether - thought it was crap

it makes me sad to think about how much akwardness, isolation, conflict and outright abuse i had to suffer as a teenager at that time just to listen to the loving music i liked. i am glad nobody has to sit with their dick in their hand wondering whether or not they want to purchase a loving compact disc any more, and that those days are gone and soon to be forgotten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

HD DAD posted:

…and then all of the Final Fantasy soundtracks bought from a local import store. Yes I am a goon.

i am in my mid to late 30s and i spent several hours yesterday driving through the peak district as the sun went down with the Final Fantasy XIII-2 soundtrack on blast and i regret nothing.