Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

That would have been, what, 1998? Pop music, none at all, other than the soundtrack to Evita. Selecting ten Baroque albums, I had:

• Handel - Water Music
  • Handel - Acis and Galetea
  • Handel - Alcina
  • Handel - Rinaldo
  • Handel - Harpsichord concerti
  • Vivaldi - Four Seasons
  • Vivaldi - Mandolin concerti
  • Purcell - The Fairy Queen
  • Purcell - Come Ye Sons of Art
  • Jean-Phillippe Rameau - Les Indes Galantes

Others, too, but those I remember most fondly. Alcina remains my desert island opera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

get in the locker
Hey, Alcina is great. It's about a wicked sorceress (Alcina) who transforms all those stranded on her island into plants and animals until the fiancée (Bradamante) of one of her soon-to-be victims (Ruggiero), a courageous paladin with a magical lance disguised as a man, comes to rescue him, destroying* Alcina's magical charm that keeps her young and beautiful, transforming her into a thousand year old witch and restoring her victims to human form. Here's "Non è amor, né gelosia" ("This is not love nor jealousy"), my absolute favorite of Handel's trios, featuring Alcinia, Bradamante, and Ruggiero. And Ruggiero's aria "Sta nell'Ircana pietrosa tana" ("In her rocky Hycanian lair"). Really, I could cite a dozen great arias from Alcina. And Alcina is super short at about 75 minutes when most Baroque operas are in excess of three hours.

And in The Fairy Queen, a drunken poet emerges from audience and the fairy (a "damned tormenting punk", according to the poet) and her lackeys attack him, pinching him forty-forty times until he confesses his crime of being a drunk, crap poet, then pinching him forty-forty more times as a punishment until he passes out. Baroque operas are wild.

* Bradamante's magical lance is a gun in this performance