Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass-penny

Hey friends, I'm running a 6th ed Shadowrun game for my roommates and I'm not super sure where I'm going with it, in both the short and the long term. Tomorrow I'm running the second session. In the first session the player characters met, each other literally at the door of the restaurant where they meet their Johnson for the first run, which I was better prepared for. Anyway the crew consists of a elf cyber samurai, a human technomancer, and a dwarven magician devotee to Dog, and they stole a vanload of BTLs (Better Than Life chips) and delivered it to gang members. They got paid! I think they even made it back to their apartments around Seattle.

For the uninitiated this is what it says on the Fandom wiki:

wiki posted:

Shadowrun is a role-playing game set in a near-future, fictional, alternate universe in which cybernetics, magic, and fantasy creatures co-exist. Shadowrun combines cyberpunk and high fantasy to create a near future world where technology has advanced beyond our understanding, powerful mega corporations control everyday life, and magic and classical fantasy races have returned to the world.

Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.

It's a pretty dark setting, and this game is about up and coming shadowrunners, not pros. I found a .txt the other day, I must have been pretty faded because I didn't remember typing it. It said: NAN officials hire runners to provide them security during an action of some variety. "humanis been sniffing around our organizer's matrix trail."

So for the uninitiated, the NAN stands for the Native American Nations, most of the western US is controlled by different Native tribes, actually here's a map of most of north america.

Seattle, while completely surrounded by the Salish-Shidhe Council, is in fact part of UCAS or the United Canadian American States.

And Humanis. In SR, where the UGE (Unexplained Genetic Expression) happened in 2011 and human mothers gave birth to elf and dwarf childrenand the SURGE (Sudden Unexplained Recessive Genetic Expression) happened the 30th of April 2021 (what up) where 10% of people suddenly transformed into orks and trolls. Humanis, as if the name weren't damning enough think humans are superior to metahumanity (everyone that was human before the fantasy races started existing again).

Anyways the party aren't super combat heavy but I could have em face some disorganized racists, otherwise I'm open to brainstorming with my native BYBians. Help me come up with fun cool poo poo to throw at them and maybe hold onto the chill lever while helping me navigate a gross, degrading system and rule set.

If this is too gross or whatever you can move me to Traditional Games, I was to see what my yobbers think first. I know this is a disorganized OP, I should have been working on this for a minute bit :shrug: help me make something cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

Holy poo poo another Shadowrun player goddamn AP are we siblings or something

So my players had a btl story before, too, and it was quite cool because I more or less accidentally used it to draw the line into gang mentality and stuff they do with it. Like, they delivered a box full of chips to a guy, got paid, went home happy, absolutely perfect, then a rivaling dealer contacted them, too, because he heard they did a good job and they want to pay them to do the same again, but this time sabotage the thing a bit. Poof, suddenly they got drawn into gang conflict and happened to be double agents, too, and of course they tried to get paid by both parties
I later on used this setup to draw them into the underground world of the city (Hamburg in my case, the German publisher for Shadowrun is a lot better than CGL :v:) and the politics behind it, as well as the worrying entanglement of official politics with that world, too

Goons Are Gifts

Oh and God bless you for running 6ed by the way, I have literally all the books and poo poo for both 5th and 6th Ed but I couldn't convince my guys to actually try 6th yet because lol those rules

Ass-penny

Ghosts And Ghouls posted:

Oh and God bless you for running 6ed by the way, I have literally all the books and poo poo for both 5th and 6th Ed but I couldn't convince my guys to actually try 6th yet because lol those rules

I've read a lot of poo poo talk about 6th but thank the Spirit they finally addressed the atrocious handling of skills in 5th. I kind of like minor actions vs initiative passes. That said I really only got introduced to this system a bit after 5e came out. It was a real rabbit hole for me, I wish I seent older eds. You are not joking though, Catalyst leaves a lot to be desired from a games developer.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Ass-penny

oh I meant to say also that I can read rules all day but it isn't until I get to the table and start having to used them practically that I learn what I like and don't like. I have a lot of issues learning from videos because I need to do things myself.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
a) find some excuse for them to have to travel to Butte
b) if they are more mirrorshades than neon mohawk, then some kind of political fisticuffs between UCAS and NAN where both sides are manipulating other factions/corps into being proxies (Humanis, Renraku, Aztechnology etc.) and your poor saps are caught in the middle when the local gangs are being targeted. Bonus points if you can find some terrible puns to work into it
c) What are the car chase rules like in 6th? IIRC I last played 4th and it wasn't so hot there, if 6th is better maybe plan for a couple car chases in there somewhere (usually when things have gone south and the team need to exfil)
d) I meant the thing about Butte btw, it is prominently on the map so it's basically the law that players have to pilgrimage to Butte

Stoner Sloth

rear end-penny posted:

I've read a lot of poo poo talk about 6th but thank the Spirit they finally addressed the atrocious handling of skills in 5th. I kind of like minor actions vs initiative passes. That said I really only got introduced to this system a bit after 5e came out. It was a real rabbit hole for me, I wish I seent older eds. You are not joking though, Catalyst leaves a lot to be desired from a games developer.

lol kinda the opposite here - i never played 4th or 5th but every edition bar that i played at least a little of

i also played Earthdawn which initially had a major role in shaping shadowrun, especially things like immortal elves, dragons (especially the great dragons), orichalcum, blood magic, insect spirits and most especially The Enemy (known in earthdawn as Horrors) - although the two are officially 'divorced' it can be a treasure trove of ideas for things that would fit into the shadowrun universe especially for magic & metahuman heavy parties

earthdawn was set in the fourth world, the modern age of humanity is the 5th and shadowrun's timeline is the 6th world - the even numbered ages representing times when the level of magic in the world rose until it drew back horrific creatures which could only exist in the world when magic levels were high

one cool idea that could be fun to port over, for example, is that in earthdawn magic items can become more powerful by performing great deeds and becoming legendary, another could be reappearance of additional races or creatures - hell there's even a an ancient city that could make a reappearance!

as for ideas for adventures - depends where you want them to lead, the NAN while overly stereotyped (though mostly positively it's still bad) in the way that only a game from the 80's written by white dudes could be, also can have some really interesting aspects and ideas depending on how it's played ranging from low level stuff to things of global import.

hmmm given the involvement of Humanis as the enemies - perhaps they've been trying to find clues for a magic ritual of similar power to the magic ritual that NAN used to secure independence from the UCAS by causing multiple volcanoes to erupt? or more sinisterly perhaps they're willing to try their hand at blood magic on the magic spike that it caused in order to create an astral bridge to bring Horrors into the world and use them against their enemies?

Ass-penny

NumptyScrub posted:

a) find some excuse for them to have to travel to Butte
b) if they are more mirrorshades than neon mohawk, then some kind of political fisticuffs between UCAS and NAN where both sides are manipulating other factions/corps into being proxies (Humanis, Renraku, Aztechnology etc.) and your poor saps are caught in the middle when the local gangs are being targeted. Bonus points if you can find some terrible puns to work into it
c) What are the car chase rules like in 6th? IIRC I last played 4th and it wasn't so hot there, if 6th is better maybe plan for a couple car chases in there somewhere (usually when things have gone south and the team need to exfil)
d) I meant the thing about Butte btw, it is prominently on the map so it's basically the law that players have to pilgrimage to Butte

lmao it is funny you mention that because in the several SR games I've played in, with a great deal of travel in them, we had never been to Butte. in fact I thought you were talking about going to a butte, the geological thing, and not the city in Montana. It wasn't until I read that it was on the map that I looked and figured out my mistake. Going to Butte would be extremely byob. I was actually planning on keeping it more local, at least until later in the game, since they are supposed to be small time. And they are not super fighty, so I'm worried this protection detail gig might be better for later in the game. Also Re: the carchase, a carchase was part of the first session, they had to steal that vanload of BTLs while it was in transit. The technomancer has this complex form that lets them control any device and since everything in the sixth world is a wireless device they were just like... aaaaaaaand your car turns off. They sustained the complex form so the driver couldn't restart the van and they coasted to a stop while having a gun battle. I think the technomancer will make car chases pretty prohibitive as a strategy for runs.

I had completely forgotten, but at the end of the session when the characters were parting ways to go to their respective domiciles, the cyber sam invited the other two to a bar that she frequents. One of her contacts is a bartender there, and they participate in underground fighting matches there. I should really craft that into something for tonight.

SS I always hear cool things about Earthdawn, in fact in the first SR game I played the gm introduced us to a rock star that was a race from Earthdawn, I forget what they're called but he was literally made of rock? Like a mineral based lifeform, does that sound familiar? I have never even held, much less perused an Earthdawn book but it sounds like an interesting system.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Idea: the gang takes a trip to the cyber suburbs

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Cyber Omaha is still just Omaha

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Helping the cyber farmer with their cyber crops

Ass-penny

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Helping the cyber farmer with their cyber crops

This is funny because when I was introduced to this setting with all of its devastating poverty, my mates were like: that guy with the cyberarm that you just killed? You should cut through his flesh around it and take the cyberarm with you, sell it for some nuyen! So like the players could be cyber farmers, in the more modern MMO usage of that word, and the whole Seattle sprawl could be their farm.

Ass-penny

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Cyber Omaha is still just Omaha

Twenty Four

I don't know because I'm bad at this stuff and while I think Shadowrun is cool I am no where near qualified to say anything but it reminded me of this LP from our very own forums and maybe you could use this as some plagiarism inspiration.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894378

Ass-penny

Twenty Four posted:

I don't know because I'm bad at this stuff and while I think Shadowrun is cool I am no where near qualified to say anything but it reminded me of this LP from our very own forums and maybe you could use this as some plagiarism inspiration.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894378

Honestly you don't need to be an expert gamemaster to chime in here. I'm hoping to get ideas rolling and I'm pretty open as to what they're about. Thanks for the link to the LP! I loved the HBS SR games, but I never hosed with the mods (as I am generally not a mod fucker). Oh good this thread is shorter too. I'm also reading this CYOA and I'm like 6100 posts behind lmao.

Finger Prince

How about the team get hired on as body guards for a reporter/journalist who wants to investigate rumours of unusual sewer mutants. Call her, oh I dunno, Mai Hurley, or June Santa Cruz. She drives a van. I think you can see where this is going. Boss fight is with a street samurai who has a clan of foot soldiers and who attacks you with razor claws. Maybe his name is Julien(ne).

Ass-penny

Finger Prince posted:

How about the team get hired on as body guards for a reporter/journalist who wants to investigate rumours of unusual sewer mutants. Call her, oh I dunno, Mai Hurley, or June Santa Cruz. She drives a van. I think you can see where this is going. Boss fight is with a street samurai who has a clan of foot soldiers and who attacks you with razor claws. Maybe his name is Julien(ne).

lmfao

Twenty Four

rear end-penny posted:

Honestly you don't need to be an expert gamemaster to chime in here. I'm hoping to get ideas rolling and I'm pretty open as to what they're about. Thanks for the link to the LP! I loved the HBS SR games, but I never hosed with the mods (as I am generally not a mod fucker). Oh good this thread is shorter too. I'm also reading this CYOA and I'm like 6100 posts behind lmao.

Yeah I don't even know those uh, "HBS SR"? games I just read through it because TheMcD did a legendary LP from a game that no one knew was made by another goon who chimed in towards the end, because I love baseball (the game really has almost nothing to do with baseball other then TheMcD's commentary [good] and the base premise) and it was hilarious, so I went on to read their next one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889803

Sorry for piling the links on, but the first one reminded me of it and I feel like it would be a disservice not to mention the second one in context.

Anyhow my Shadowrun knowledge is super limited, other then the basic "it's a world run by corporations and tech is advanced but there's magic too but you can't do both" so the best my very overtired self can think of is the cliche "get in over your head doing jobs for a corp" or give your magic user a hard choice by offering them some really powerful tech implant only they can use.

Also I'm scared to click that link as I'm like 6k posts behind in the byob chat thread after surgery stuff and can't decide if I want to keep my place for chill downtime reading or just skip ahead once again. Dumb problems lol!

Ass-penny

HareBrained Schemes is the company that released three ShadowRun games and your first link was an LP of a mod for the second one.

Twenty Four posted:

Also I'm scared to click that link as I'm like 6k posts behind in the byob chat thread after surgery stuff and can't decide if I want to keep my place for chill downtime reading or just skip ahead once again. Dumb problems lol!

lmao well I'm the one trying to hamfist an idea together, but it's a good read. Ice Phisherman (the op of the thread I linked) is actually a writer and I think he does a good job of making the young characters interesting and believable. It is an option to have several threads you are behind in, I know my bookmarks are full of unread poo poo.

Twenty Four

rear end-penny posted:

HareBrained Schemes is the company that released three ShadowRun games and your first link was an LP of a mod for the second one.

lmao well I'm the one trying to hamfist an idea together, but it's a good read. Ice Phisherman (the op of the thread I linked) is actually a writer and I think he does a good job of making the young characters interesting and believable. It is an option to have several threads you are behind in, I know my bookmarks are full of unread poo poo.

I get ya, it just fills me with illogical dread and then I want to run away from my problems of unread threads as if avoidance would solve anything like an idiot, lol. Okay I will try to stream of mind come up with a scenario for your group.

Your team gets a fairly simple job from a corp to go in during a change of security shifts in another corps building to steal a chip that would have just been delivered. They can talk or fight their way in. The only guard in the destination room is a dwarf with a bunch of uh, implants or augments or whatever? They should be able to take him down but after they do and pick up the package they were sent for, they notice a safe in the wall that looks to be hiding some really valuable stuff.

Now they are presented with a dilemma.

Option one: Your dwarf magic user is the only one the implants would fit, and there happens to be a robot doc or a hostage or something there to mod them, so they can lose some of their magic ability to get a super strength arm to pry the safe open.

Option two: Your tech guy could use the advanced chip they came to steal to hack into the safe, but they would not be able to finish their mission and return the chip, betraying the corp that gave them the job and give them a bad reputation with them.

Option three: Forgo the quick boost to gear/money/equipment that obviously (maybe) is in the safe and just finish the job and keep their reputation clean with the knowledge that the safe is there to come back to later, though it may not be as valuable if or when they return.

Comedy Option: Someone else get's the guards super strength arm implanted to save the magic user's abilities but is stuck with a ridiculously too small dwarf arm on their body that they get made fun of for all the time.

Look I have only a cursory knowledge of the universe and I've slept for like 3 hours in 2 days and had a few drinks, but you asked for ideas, so that's what I've got!

Twenty Four

also no one read my super overtired half drunken ramblings it is trademarked for use of rear end-penny or myself or anyone in byob or whatever i tried

Twenty Four

I'm sure my super over tired help was of no use but how did your game night go?

Ass-penny

Twenty Four posted:

I'm sure my super over tired help was of no use but how did your game night go?

Lmao I did read your post, there might be parts I use. It went ok. I had them overhear some gangers talking about their lost BTL shipment. The technomancer was very frustrated because they failed to hack one random gangers commlink. While the mage was turning her apartment into a magic Lodge, the gang hired a decker and found their identities, and they get confronted at a bar. The players dominated the gangers.
Later I set up a meeet with a Johnson. I took an encounter almost verbatim from that LP someone posted ITT earlier, they got hired to attend a nightclub grand opening, and to bring a box to be supplied by the Johnson night of to the CEOs office above the club. The technomancer did some preliminary hacking of the clubs matrix host, but that was p much the end of the session.
I like the idea of the Magic Power source under the club, but the nanites in the box instead of just disassembling the club and it's inhabitants, I think will be kind of a weaponised version of Cognitive Fragmentation Disorder. The monads (people infected by CFD) will try to investigate and secure the magic source in the basement. It's not nailed down yet but I think it's a start.

Stoner Sloth

rear end-penny posted:

SS I always hear cool things about Earthdawn, in fact in the first SR game I played the gm introduced us to a rock star that was a race from Earthdawn, I forget what they're called but he was literally made of rock? Like a mineral based lifeform, does that sound familiar? I have never even held, much less perused an Earthdawn book but it sounds like an interesting system.

yeah that's the obsidimen! they were one of three races (windlings and tskrang - lizardmen kinda race) that didn't appear in SR. however year of the comet stuff and changelings were heavily implied to sometimes produce these type of folk who presumably would normally require a higher magic level to appear through 'goblinization'

there was also some other interesting points - earthdawn had god equivalents in the form the Passions, however several of these were driven insane by the Horrors during the last scourge (time when the magic levels are high enough for them to swarm through into our reality) and there was some hints that these might still exist in SR in some form

this is also interesting because earthdawn had a place called Death's Sea that was a huge sea of magma in which Death itself had allegedly been imprisoned by the other Passions, supposedly to one day be set free when enough blood had been spilled... incidentally we know where that was in the modern world/Shadowrun world - the Black Sea and it's heavily implied that enough blood had been spilled. I believe this area also generated some magical resources when the year of the comet happened.

Stoner Sloth

i can tell you lots about earthdawn if you're interested - one place that always struck me as potentially interesting for SR was Parlainth

basically when the Scourge hit everyone tried to find a way to protect themselves from the oncoming Horrors - many went underground and used magical spells to protect their little vaults (with varying levels of success), the elves of Blood Wood attempted to disasterously make one of these Kaers out of the living wood of their forest (this failed and they were forced to find another, rather more horrific solution)

one city however tried to shift itself from this plane of existence to avoid the Horrors entirely - moving it into the astral realm and removing all knowledge from the world that it even existed so as to be able to return one day to a ruined world and bring knowledge and power to reshape the world...

this did not work out too well and the Horrors were able to get locked in with the city, eventually a failsafe they made returned the ruined city to the world many years later giving a great city of ancient wonders and terrible things to explore for the adventurers

but given the enchantments used whose to say this city of ancient ruins (and some of the terrible things there) could be transported again forwards to the time of SR?

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

The party does something that gets them into hot soup (alternately, they learn about something that is juicy) where they can start trailing a string of clues that drives them to a bunch of shamans that are actually all about throwing a massive party. Conspiracies ensue. What if Burning Man, but Shadowrun 6 and a malicious earth spirit or a bug spirit (which are hella bad). You can send the runners to different places in the sprawl or go international to find party favors. Go raid the tomb of Abraham Lincoln and go break into Mount Rushmore and steal something from whatever dragon's in there (Lofwyr? I don't even remember)

Alternately, Renraku Shutdown 2: Time to Go Back Into An Arcology Boogaloo

Ice Phisherman

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

rear end-penny posted:

Oh hey, it's me and my story. I'm glad that you like it. It is kind of a beast to read but I have broken it up into "books" so it's a lot easier to pick up and put down. The first book clocks in at 70k words which is about as long as a short novel which I think makes it more approachable and there are seven books if you feel like really losing yourself in a series. I really do believe that it's worth a read though. I used to write for a living and between myself and the thread where they vote on what happens next I believe that we've made something special together. It's got that teens at a magic school thing going on. I was playing Persona 5 at the time and I took a lot of early inspiration from that series but if it gets compared to cyberpunk Harry Potter, then I guess I just have to live with that.

It's got fun, believable, likeable characters and villains that are interesting that you love to hate. It's got comedy. It's got drama. It's got the occasional foray into horror because I don't believe in shying away from (most) dark topics. And because I used to be a romance writer, It's got some LGBTQ+ romance because I challenged myself to write that kind of fiction for an audience that even four years later is still starving for representation without it being weird or gross. But instead I want to keep it light and adorable and no one has had any complaints as I check in with the people who comment on the thread to make sure that it's cool.

It's got protests and riots. It's got protagonists beating up Nazis. It's got frequent staring at the banality of evil. It's got a good look at what corruption looks like not only from those who are victimized by it, but those who benefit from it as well. And we look at how people live their life anyway. The protagonists are extremely poor teens who go to a school for the ultra-wealthy without being corrupted by wealth. And of course, it's got shadowrunners doing crime and poo poo, but they're not the focus of the story. They're there and we do spend time on them, but I wanted to explore this corrupt, bonkers rear end world that is Shadowrun and what it looks like to more or less regular people.

So if any of that sounds interesting to you, please come on by.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835049

Here's some cool art I commissioned for the story. Initiation is the name of the first book and I worked with the artist to make it look as if the title of the book is being shined into the sky by skylights. :)

It's the same shot from different angles!

So since you're new to this, I'll give you some ideas for stuff to do on a one shot or a campaign.

My favorite kinds of runs fit into three categories. First are the weird ones that have to do with magic. For example, you're doing a run against a magical practitioner who is a feng shui magician. For those who don't know what that is, it's Chinese geomancy (earth magic) that deals with placing objects within a room perfectly to generate more magic for them. Basically it's just a big, finicky, finely tuned engine for creating and circulating magic.

So imagine what would happen in an engine if you hosed with the parts. You shift the oil pan or twist the distributor or do a little sabotage on the timing belt. Well, the engine would start to malfunction and maybe even break given enough time. And in Feng Shui, the furniture and mirrors and potted plants are all part of this big, magical engine in a room. You don't see the magic move exactly and the potted plant isn't a piston. It's not even moving any faster than a plant would grow, but that plant is part of a magical engine nonetheless. Everything in that magic circulates magic in a pleasing way that concentrates magic and makes even more magic.

So one of the classic jobs of Shadowrun is to stealthily break into a Feng Shui magician's home and move around their furniture to gently caress with their magic. Not even by a lot, just a few inches because again, it's basically an engine and all of its parts need to be precise in their placement. If anything is out of alignment it's going to spit out bad magic that will gently caress with their ability to cast. So in my story I had one of the young protagonists get offered a job to sneak into a feng shui magician's place and rearrange their furniture to gently caress with their magic. Hijinx ensued.

The second category has to do with neato science poo poo. I specifically love currently existing materials science and what you can do with them if they're made at scale. And one of the materials that I like to use my sci-fi nerd brain on is carbon nanotubes. A currently existing material that is stronger than steel and extremely light. And one form of that is the graphene aerogel, which is as strong as steel (but squishy), lighter than air and it consists of 99.98% air and 0.02% graphene, which can be found in the graphite of pencils.

Not only is it light, but it can stop bullets, it's incredibly strong (and squishy) but in my head it is made into parts of robots that are lighter than air. So you could have a drone robot that's partially made up of graphene aerogel and partially made up of steel and it would literally be as light as air because graphene aerogel will easily blow away in a strong wind.

Enter my story, Holy Smokes, Hella Tokes. A weed grower wants to set up a grow op in Seattle and for the best weed, it needs to be at a certain sea level to ensure that it grows quickly and at the best quality. Seattle is at 174 feet and the strain of weed needs to be optimally grown at 3000 feet. Space in Seattle is crazy expensive because rent is jacked up but you can buy a tiny place to tether your weed blimp. Just a tiny storefront with a huge umbilical tether stretching into the sky with the weed blimp at the end. The weed blimp is forever high and because I have a weird sense of humor, it's a Californian Christian based business. So they have the little Jesus fish on the side in this cyberpunk dystopia. The storefront doubles as a church on Sundays. It's just some weird Cali cult.

Your mission if you choose to accept it is to either fly up to the weed blimp or literally go up the 2800 foot umbilical line and into the weed blimp itself on the conveyor belt that brings supplies up and weed down. At that point you are in a blimp made up of material that is 99.98% air and 0.02% graphene. Inside is an enormous automated grow op made up of lighter than air blimp and lighter than air weed farming drone robots. And you must quickly steal as much weed as possible because your presence on the blimp is literally making it sink. The runner crew just weighs too much.

In Shadowrun, you almost always run into some sort of unknown complication. Your client betrays you or some other group shows up to gently caress up your day or you're getting paid in drugs instead of money. This one is pretty simple. How do you get the weed down onto the ground from over half a mile up?

You can wrap the weed and throw it into the harbor and hope it isn't ruined by polluted salt water. You can chuck it onto the ground and hope that someone isn't killed by an enormous brick of weed and that the weed brick isn't then stolen. Or you can use magic and drones and other bullshit to get it down but it takes a long time to go up and down. It's a mile round trip. If you're too greedy the blimp is literally lighter than air and it begins to rise. The weed was the ballast. The tether risks snapping and you need to get off fast so you can get your loving weed or you'll suffocate in the upper atmosphere if you can't get off the weed blimp.

Or you can steal the blimp so you can get all the weed. It is sinking after all and you can just pilot it away. But once it hits a certain altitude the anti-theft device kicks in and you have fifteen seconds to put in a password. If you don't, this sets the weed on fire. That is if your hacker didn't figure that out and disable the anti-theft device or hack a very hard check. If they didn't, the weed is now burning and you are getting the hotboxing of your loving life. You must save as much weed as possible from the flames and pilot the blimp so it doesn't crash. And if your pilot doesn't have a mask they're going to lose dice to pilot the blimp as they get high. The people saving the weed who don't have masks are going to be at negatives to save the weed and put out the fire. This weed is fire. Literally. This strain will get you stupid high because of 50 more years of making it. And this strain kind of sort of could be interpreted as having a religious experience, hence the weed cult. So save that good weed, don't get out of control high and don't get burned to death.

And if your players decide to steal the blimp and disable the anti-theft device, the cops show up because you're piloting a blimp and it's not small. Not just on the ground, but in the air as well. Maybe you have your silver tongued dude sweet talk the cops and he or she or they tell them that actually, this isn't a skyjacking. We're just doing maintenance. Maybe you have your hacker keep the cops from being alerted in time so less of them show up, but eventually they do show up. Police drones try to gently caress up the blimp, maybe it gets set on fire anyway because cops are still cops and you're in a low speed blimp chase as you try to get away from the cops. Sky pirates face off against the cops.

The last idea would be what's called hooding. These tend to be doing good by your community by committing crimes. Robin Hood poo poo. Your clients are generally people from the neighborhood. You probably are too. You're kicking out corrupt cops or beating back gentrification or literally just robbing from the rich and giving to the poor. You can play an entire campaign based around hooding where most of your money doesn't come from the community, but from the corporate and government goods that you loot/expropriate. Your verbage depending on how you feel about taking property from organizations that probably don't need it and probably won't miss it.

Anyway, if you've made it to the end, maybe you like my style from the writing prompts. If you want to check out my thread and more of that style you can just click the link. Maybe you'll find something you like. :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835049

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 12, 2021

Stoner Sloth

^ this is a good post from ice phisherman

and it gave me one thing to add - a fun variation is for the players to BE the complication for another group of runners!

e: this is especially the case if there's a group that has given them trouble in the past, rival shadowrunners or a corporate team

Ass-penny

Stoner Sloth posted:

and it gave me one thing to add - a fun variation is for the players to BE the complication for another group of runners!

e: this is especially the case if there's a group that has given them trouble in the past, rival shadowrunners or a corporate team

I wanted the gang that they stole the BTLs from to be a bigger problem long term, but they so handily put away their leader last session. I'm still trying to get my feet under me for the system and I don't want to steamroll them but they have been putting the shame down on the npcs.

IP, that was a quality post, and I thank you for coming here. I like the weedblimp idea but the party really has no eggs where negating falling damage is the play. The feng shui angle would be easy to apply to anything.
This weed thing could be a real funny joke if I can set it up several sessions in advance.

Ice Phisherman

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Stoner Sloth posted:

Shucks. :3:

quote:

I love it when this happens. Just remember that other shadowrunners are frequently the most dangerous thing to happen to a shadowrunner team. The same thing happened in D&D where a party of a fighter, wizard, cleric and thief meet another similarly leveled fighter, wizard, cleric and thief. Veteran players understand that similarly leveled parties are dangerous. If they throw down you're going to get all of their gear but they also might get lucky and just smoke your team.

So if you're going to involve another runner team I'd suggest allowing for a diplomatic way out. The runner community is small and smoking another team is bad for your reputation. If two teams run across each other in the wild and ID each other as runners they probably won't fire on each other and if they do and the white flag goes up, it's bad form to just execute people.

On the other hand, if they don't care about rep and just want to scrap, that's their business.

rear end-penny posted:

IP, that was a quality post, and I thank you for coming here. I like the weedblimp idea but the party really has no eggs where negating falling damage is the play. The feng shui angle would be easy to apply to anything.

This weed thing could be a real funny joke if I can set it up several sessions in advance.

Thanks. I'm glad that you enjoy my stuff. So I thought I'd help out. :)

Feng Shui is pretty classic Shadowrun and you can really apply it to anything. And it doesn't have to be at the magician's place. It might just be a business or a house. Magic is so ubiquitous that even people who don't have magic can benefit from magic if they're got the right connections or money. When Chinese magic interior decorating is real it can be set up to make you lucky or if you screw with it, it's unlucky. And the point is to do so little damage that you don't get caught. Petty vandalism creates magical bad luck.

As for weed blimp, it's definitely a set piece run and you do need to do some prep work for it. Parachutes, a levitation spell, a spirit who can levitate for you or some sort of flying drone would be good investments for your players not falling to their doom. So the investment isn't too bad.

On the other hand, things going completely pear-shaped and your players crashing a burning weed blimp into some megacorp's corporate headquarters would be extremely funny.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 12, 2021

biosterous

IP has anyone done something like exporting a whole bunch of the updates into an .epub format or something? i've been meaning to read the thread for ages but it's so big that it gives me anxiety (this is all on me and my brain, not you at all :buddy:) but if i could read a bunch of it as an e-book instead of a thread that wouldn't give me anxiety, because brains are weird.

i wish that the button to only show posts by $user in a thread worked as a brainhack for me but it doesn't :(

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Ass-penny

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. After this nightclub gig I will probably do the feng shui run and maybe see what I can do about the weed run. We play every other Wednesday, so this is the off week.

hot cocoa on the couch

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
rear end-penny i love your av so much, extremely byob and also cyberpunk vibe

Ice Phisherman

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

boo-osterous posted:

IP has anyone done something like exporting a whole bunch of the updates into an .epub format or something? i've been meaning to read the thread for ages but it's so big that it gives me anxiety (this is all on me and my brain, not you at all :buddy:) but if i could read a bunch of it as an e-book instead of a thread that wouldn't give me anxiety, because brains are weird.

i wish that the button to only show posts by $user in a thread worked as a brainhack for me but it doesn't :(

I have the first five books here on an outside website as well as the beginning of the sixth. I stopped updating it because I eventually want to switch to Royal Road but I want to edit it before I do that. And editing what I wrote will take a while. So I do have it in an easily readable though incomplete format.

https://blakeisland.wordpress.com/

Book six and seven aren't on there and you will eventually have to come to the thread though. Apologies.

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Phisherman posted:

I have the first five books here on an outside website as well as the beginning of the sixth. I stopped updating it because I eventually want to switch to Royal Road but I want to edit it before I do that. And editing what I wrote will take a while. So I do have it in an easily readable though incomplete format.

Book six and seven aren't on there and you will eventually have to come to the thread though. Apologies.

i like that you advertise for/endorse the forums on there. i like you

if you don't want to share for free that's ok, but getting an epub of whatever you have now out is easy as "open file in calibre, save as epub" and then people could read on their fancy tablets and such instead of computer. if it's a technical hurdle i'd be more than happy to do it for you (free ofc), even set covers and chapters and stuff if you send pix

i guess i could also just save everything on that website into a word doc and do it that way but that feels rude w/o asking and it'd be a little easier if you gave me da files

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ice Phisherman

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

pnac attack posted:

i like that you advertise for/endorse the forums on there.

I like the community here and I like to invite people when I think they're cool people. And if they're shitheads they won't last long. So either you get cool people or Jeffrey gets ten more bucks to keep the website going.

quote:

i like you

:3:

quote:

if you don't want to share for free that's ok, but getting an epub of whatever you have now out is easy as "open file in calibre, save as epub" and then people could read on their fancy tablets and such instead of computer. if it's a technical hurdle i'd be more than happy to do it for you (free ofc), even set covers and chapters and stuff if you send pix

Ah, I gotcha. I forgot about e-readers. Yeah, I can get an epub going. I just moved though. My backup laptop is packed away somewhere. Maybe. It might be in my old state. And my normal computer's graphics card just died...Again. I'm now on my backup, backup laptop. So I'm going to have to pull it off one of my other backups because while I'm pretty obsessive about backing things up my older backups aren't that well organized.

That said, I can do this for free. While I do have a Patreon I'm not in this for money. I mean, other than beer money. I do it because I like it and because I like the community that has formed around my work. At some point I would like to hold that hat out to a larger audience on Royal Road and maybe get a few Patreon rewards going someday but only after I give this monster a solid editing pass. But this is what I do for fun and to hone my craft as a writer.

So yeah, I can do it. It'll probably only take me an hour or two and an epub wouldn't be the worst thing to have. I would like some help with covers though as I'm not familiar with Calibre. Though I only have enough art for the first book. Part of running this for fun is that affording good artists and paying them what they're worth costs more money than I'm willing to part with at the moment.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 13, 2021

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
pm me bout it cos i don't want to splash around in asspenny's nice rpg thread too much but you sharing for free = me helping for free and i bet we could find you a like-minded drawer around here somewhere too. game recognize game, better together, etc etc

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

Ice Phisherman posted:

don't apologize this is perfect! catching up on like 80% of the story and then reading the rest on the forum is a wonderful option to have, thank you :)

(but also if an epub format does come out i will use that instead because then it's easier for me to adjust the background + font the way i like it :v: )

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him