Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Collapsing Farts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XIheCyXtvc

This guy is super duper popular and is eating himself to death and is apparently worth 3 million dollars. I guess people are looking at stuff like this and going "I don't get it and never will". For good reason tbh

Since when did 20 piece nuggets have their own box.

Holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REVye8biKw

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Let's all go to the lobby let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby to learn about hate raids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh1JlHvl-do

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

kas posted:

The entire conversation has basically been about those top 0.1% streamers though. Like yeah, no kidding most people are just there on twitch to goof off and play some video games, but the whole thread, and resulting conversation was about the literal millionaire streamers who had their finances leaked with the data breach. By your own admission, the people that are being talked about do have to put some effort into doing that (not that it even really matters because as seen in every field there is little correlation between financial success and ability or effort put in at the upper echelons.)

Like yeah, it's the low hanging fruit to troll about nazis and lazy people and whatnot, I get it, but also, there is no pushback here. The thread seems to be in agreement with you that yes, the people we are actually talking about do have to treat it like a job, it is a very silly occupation (but who cares), and nobody is exactly glorifying it here, just sort of trying to explain how things work behind the scenes for some of those top earners, and taking issue with calling a community that has, overall better representation for POC and gay/bi/trans folks than most a bunch of pedophiles and nazis. (Admittedly a lost cause given the quality of discourse here.)

I know this'll just get a 'lol' response or similar but hey, gently caress it. It's a dumb thread anyways.

That's not a lol response. That was a pretty good measured response. I got the feeling that most of the people in here were talking about the 99.9%. If someone can make a ton of money off of this, well poo poo, that's capitalism. Go for it. I pay money for tons of dumb poo poo. I'm sure the overhead costs on twitch are close to nothing though outside of you or others mentioning the costs of hiring other people, but those people are apparently making millions so it's a drop in the bucket.

Famous twitch streams... go get it. If so many people are giving you so much money then you're probably good at what you do. I think most of them are just shlubs wanting to play a game and have the benefit of people watching and chatting to them. It's probably just fun for them. The highest streamer I've seen probably had like 300 people watching. I just look up random games I want to see strategies for or something where I can learn something. Well, besides AOC. I saw her stream once and yeah, there were like 500,000 viewers or something.

I personally think most are just dorks playing games and don't deserve any money. But if they're having fun then do it. I don't know if the top streamers deserve millions of dollars but then again, I don't think Aaron Rogers should get $30 million dollars. It's entertainment. A crazy world.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The best people to watch are usually the ones with like 100 to 1k viewers because you can actually have conversations with the chat and the streamers themselves a lot of the time and they're easier to moderate so people aren't getting away with being toxic. I also tend to gravitate toward people who do a lot of charity streams. One of the streamers I watch decided to raise $100k for St. Jude's Children's Hospital about two years ago and it took around 4-5 months of all of his donations going to St. Jude's but he pulled it off. And New Legacy Inc. which is mostly a pro wrestling video game stream managed to make over $80k in 12 hours for the Canadian Cancer Society with the help of a few AEW wrestlers recently. That was really cool.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

down n out posted:

Ok, you conveniently ignored the 50% profit sharing with employees in the direct quote. Apple has made a gross profit of over 100 billion this year. They also employ 147,000 people. If they distributed 50 billion among their employees, everyone would be 300,000 richer.

So what you are proposing is still FYGM but for a different class of people?

LordArgh posted:

It's about time for gamers to rise up, imo

I'll bring the hoist.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yesterday I got a mail from twitch admitting they had been hacked. Good to see they got their fast response team involved.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Can't wait for a bunch of slobby incel basement dwellers to start doxxing people :(

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Weka posted:

So what you are proposing is still FYGM but for a different class of people?

I'll bring the hoist.

In what way is more evenly distributing profits from? They left 50 billion in the shareholders pot for that math and there's a lot fewer shareholders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

roomtone posted:

what's so hard to understand about mukbang? it's when faeces are smashed together in a tight space as more and more food is crammed into the body until the colon explodes and poo poo goes flying everywhere. muk bang.

It's when you're breeding two muddy Pokémon to get one with good stats, actually