Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO — A team of cold case investigators say they have finally identified the Zodiac Killer, one of America's most prolific serial murderers who terrorized San Francisco in the late 1960s.

Fox News reported, The Case Breakers, a team of more than 40 detectives, journalists and military intelligence officers, believes the killer is responsible for a murder hundreds of miles away that was never linked to him previously.

The Zodiac Killer has been connected to five murders in 1968 and 1969 in the San Francisco area. The Zodiac taunted authorities with complex riddles and codes in letters sent to newspapers and police. The murders spawned books, movies and documentaries. Amateur and professional detectives have pored over the case to try to identify the killer.

The Case Breakers say they have identified the Zodiac Killer as Gary Francis Poste, who passed away in 2018.

According to Fox News, the team's years of digging uncovered new forensic evidence and photos from Poste's darkroom. Including an image that features scars on the forehead of Poste that match scars on a sketch of the Zodiac, the team said.

Other clues include deciphering letters sent by the Zodiac that revealed him as the killer, said Jen Bucholtz, a former Army counterintelligence agent who works on cold cases. In one note, the letters of Poste's full name were removed to reveal an alternate message, she told Fox News.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/national-news/investigators-say-theyve-finally-identified-the-zodiac-killer

Not exactly overwhelming evidence but sounds vaguely promising anyhow. I haven't seen this picked up by any other major news outlet other than Fox yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

quote:

passed away in 2018.

how convenient...

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Was he police? Army? Marine? Which organization made him into a blood gurgling psychopath that should butcher human bodies at the slightest provocation?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ted Cruz is still alive OP.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

https://twitter.com/9Joe9/status/1445782121625239564?s=20

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Bullshit. Everyone knows the Zodiac killer was Capricornius Scorpius, the Roman time traveler

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if the cypher delivers a different intelligible message with this guy's name's letters removed that's pretty compelling. But like.. that's a lot of letters and it excludes A I E and O so uh, what could it say exactly

edit: i guess the vowels were other stuff in the cypher duh

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 6, 2021

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Whoever the Zodiac was, I bet he was a real piece of work, that guy. A real jerk.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ventral EggSac posted:

how convenient...

Well it was always going to be pretty likely at this point. Witnesses described him as a 35-45 year old dude in the 60s so chances are whoever it was is dead by now.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
thank god, now maybe the heat will finally be off me a bit

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Now we can get David Fincher to do Zodiac: Digitally Remastered Special Edition with added scenes of Jake Gyllenhaal stepping on Jabba the Hutt

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I feel like they release this story every year. It's always some guy trying to sell a book. Matthew Lesko is the Zodiac Killer and he's still active.

???? :confused: ????

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

justice has finally been served.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ProperCoochie posted:

Was he police? Army? Marine? Which organization made him into a blood gurgling psychopath that should butcher human bodies at the slightest provocation?

my guess is service industry

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
just because he's dead doesn't mean we cant give him a good ol cadaver synod, imo

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

ted cruz would never be sated by only butchering 5 people

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
was this guy in the movie at all

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

justice has finally been served.

cut to: hell. satan is getting off the phone and says to a demon, 'wow, looks like this guy was a real bad hombre!'

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The Scorpio Killer was Elim Garak.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

ProperCoochie posted:

...a blood gurgling psychopath that should butcher human bodies at the slightest provocation?

This is why I think the Zodiac Killer must have died way back in 1969, a guy like that doesn't just up and stop murdering all of a sudden.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Yaldabaoth posted:

This is why I think the Zodiac Killer must have died way back in 1969, a guy like that doesn't just up and stop murdering all of a sudden.
Both the Original Night Stalker and BTK suddenly stopped and went decades without killing anyone before getting caught.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Murdstone posted:

Both the Original Night Stalker and BTK suddenly stopped and went decades without killing anyone before getting caught.

Hobbies come and go…

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

kntfkr posted:

I feel like they release this story every year. It's always some guy trying to sell a book. Matthew Lesko is the Zodiac Killer and he's still active.

???? :confused: ????

Is there a book attached to this? Because yeah, after that Black Dahlia bullshit a book hustle definitely increases my skepticism.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
It's Arthur Leigh Allan, Jake Gyllenhaal told me so.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ProperCoochie posted:

Shooting people once is not "butcher"ing them

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Das Boo posted:

Is there a book attached to this? Because yeah, after that Black Dahlia bullshit a book hustle definitely increases my skepticism.
I looked up Case Breakers and they look more like they're angling for a True Crime TV show.

I. M. Gei posted:

He stabbed the hell out of the couple at Lake Berryessa.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Dunno, this seems a little extreme :shrug:

quote:

On September 27, 1969, Pacific Union College students Bryan Hartnell and Cecelia Shepard were picnicking at Lake Berryessa on a small island connected by a sand spit to Twin Oak Ridge. A white man, about 5 feet 11 inches (1.80 m) weighing more than 170 pounds (77 kg), approached them wearing a black executioner's-type hood with clip-on sunglasses over the eye-holes and a bib-like device on his chest that had a white three-by-three-inch (7.6 cm × 7.6 cm) cross-circle symbol on it. He approached them with a gun, which Hartnell believed to be a .45. The hooded man claimed to be an escaped convict from a jail with a two-word name, in either Colorado or Montana (a police officer later inferred that the man had been referring to a jail in Deer Lodge, Montana), where he had killed a guard and subsequently stolen a car, explaining that he now needed their car and money to travel to Mexico because the vehicle that he had been driving was "too hot".

The killer had brought precut lengths of plastic clothesline and told Shepard to tie up Hartnell before he tied her up. The killer checked, and tightened Hartnell's bonds after discovering that Shepard had bound Hartnell's hands loosely. Hartnell initially believed this event to be a bizarre robbery, but the man drew a knife and stabbed them both repeatedly, Hartnell suffering six and Shepard ten wounds in the process. The killer then hiked 500 yards (460 m) back up to Knoxville Road, drew the cross-circle symbol on Hartnell's car door with a black felt-tip pen, and wrote beneath it

Vallejo
12-20-68
7-4-69
Sept 27–69–6:30
by knife

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ProperCoochie posted:

Air Force

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Murdstone posted:

I looked up Case Breakers and they look more like they're angling for a True Crime TV show.

Instead of failing to find Bigfoot, they can fail to find the Zodiac.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

It's Arthur Leigh Allan, Jake Gyllenhaal told me so.

That's just a pseudonym for Drew Carey's brother. I think his name was Steve?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Murdstone posted:

Zodiac was sending letters to the police, though.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Where was Joe Biden between 1968 and 1969

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Colonel Cancer posted:

Where was Joe Biden between 1968 and 1969

He was busy collecting draft deferments.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Great use of resources considering the amount of untested rape kits and unsolved murders against women and people of color in every major metropolitan city in the US.

defund the goddamn police already.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Das Boo posted:

Instead of failing to find Bigfoot, they can fail to find the Zodiac.

Bigfoot AND the Zodiac Killer are unfindable. Coincidence...?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mega64 posted:

Bigfoot AND the Zodiac Killer are unfindable. Coincidence...?

:aaaaa:
GIVE THIS GOON A TV SHOW.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Yaldabaoth posted:

Zodiac was sending letters to the police, though.
So was BTK. It's why he eventually got caught—he tried to start communicating again because he was unhappy about an anniversary story in the local paper or something. He asked the cops if he sent them a floppy if they could trace it back to him NO LYING YOU HAVE TO TELL ME and they said "Naw that's OK we can't do that" so he sent one and they immediately did.

ONS did apparently communicate with authorities some too.

I did always assume with Zodiac that he eventually wanted everyone to know who he was because it would show how smart and great he was, and he would have set things up for that to somehow happen after he died, but the more time that passes the less likely I think that is.

Anyways, since those two were very public and very active and were caught fairly recently after having stopped killing altogether for so long I'm not so sure it can be taken as given anymore that serial killers kill until they die or are stopped.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
im the zodiac killer bitch!!

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

I. M. Gei posted:

oh i see, the famous serial killer just 360NOSCOPED some pwn3d teens. thank you so much for correcting me. FALSE ALARM EVERY BODY IT'S OK NOW, IT WAS JUST LIKE A VIBEO GAaME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Murdstone posted:

He stabbed the hell out of the couple at Lake Berryessa.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Dunno, this seems a little extreme :shrug:

Ah, I remembered the gun murders but not this

ProperCoochie posted:

oh i see, the famous serial killer just 360NOSCOPED some pwn3d teens. thank you so much for correcting me. FALSE ALARM EVERY BODY IT'S OK NOW, IT WAS JUST LIKE A VIBEO GAaME

Sorry I corrected your bad choice of words, but don't act like I'm the fuckup here. Also I didn't say anything about the murders somehow being less bad because the victims were :airquote:only:airquote: shot with a gun and not hacked to pieces or whatever