Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So the fact that last season happened (to some degree, anyway) at all is still somewhat remarkable. UMass won.

ON TO THE CURRENT YEAR!!

The most important story is that the CCHA has been revived. It's basically the former WCHA but without the Alaskas and Alabama-Huntsville. They also add St. Thomas to the mix, coached by Teemu Pokemon's favorite human being Rico Blasi.

CCHA
Minnesota State is still very much the team to beat. Mike Hastings has built a monster here, they get Hobey Baker finalist Dryden McKay back in goal, and are are unsurprisingly the favorites to take the conference this year. Bemidji State has a lot of depth returning from last year and made a huge upset of Wisconsin in the tournament. The Fightin' Nerds have one of the best goalie duos you could ask for and will be another tough out for anyone. BG lost like 10 guys to the transfer portal fukkn :rip: . The Tommies are here! They'll be punching bags for a while but hey, they made the jump from DIII to DI.

NCHC
This is a murderer's row at the top. St. Cloud, Minn-Duluth, and NoDak are all the powerhouses you expect, and Western Mich should be a dark horse :rimshot: under new head coach Pat Ferschweiler. Miami still has a ways to go under Bergeron's rebuild.

ECAC
Only 4 teams played last year with all the Ivy League teams suspending operations due to COVID. I'd imagine Q'Pac is still the team to beat here, and Clarkson seems to be doing better as of late. Beyond that I got nothing.

B1G
Stop me if you've heard this one before: Michigan enters the season with loads of talent and as such, loads of expectations. Surely that can't somehow go poorly, right?

But yeah this is still Minnesota's conference until determined otherwise.

Hockey East
UMass could be in a very good spot to repeat for the championship, one they won in the face of a lot of cancellations and stoppages. BC picked up a ton of grads and transfers. What the rest of this conference looks like will be anyone's guess.

Hamline

Pipers, bithc!

Independents
Long Island University, welcome to the party! You join Arizona State and Alaska (the spacebear one not the anchorage one) as teams trying desperately to find a conference and scheduling anyone you can!

Start posting about college hockey!! It's terrible and we all hate it as much as it hates us!! Here's some stupid poo poo to laugh at! gently caress the big ten!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Go college hockey

edit: also bring back Bobby Mo

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 6, 2021

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

UMASS is infuriating after that game on Sunday. Hopefully that isn't a preview of the rest of the season.

Not College Hockey per se, but I always want an excuse to post the college hockey players of tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEWpRjhtHko

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ Most of those players will be in college hockey in just a year or two, so close enough for me.

DJExile posted:

B1G
Stop me if you've heard this one before: Michigan enters the season with loads of talent and as such, loads of expectations. Surely that can't somehow go poorly, right?

But yeah this is still Minnesota's conference until determined otherwise.

Start posting about college hockey!! It's terrible and we all hate it as much as it hates us!! Here's some stupid poo poo to laugh at! gently caress the big ten!

Extremely accurate. The Big10 (no terrible rebranding included) will largely be determined by which of Michigan or Minnesota chokes first. They also didn't make it so I can watch Gopher hockey consistently anyway to the point where I forget when I'd actually be able to watch them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Forgot about this gif, I love it so much

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The OP is AHC erasure. When AIC beats St. Cloud or whoever in the frozen four tourney again, I'll repost this.

A bit worried about UMass's season start, but as I posted in the old thread I'm excited to see them play AIC next week. I get to watch

Also, it's a bit odd that all three of my Alma Maters are/have been recently good at hockey (UMass/AIC undergrad, Minnesota law). But I guess that can happen if you live in Massachusetts and Minnesota almost all your life.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I go back and forth on AIC because gently caress To the Atlantic but yeah them showing up to knock off cloud in the tournament is always a riot

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

On Wisconsin

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So the fightin nerds are beating the dogshit out of Wisconsin and assuming to take a weekend sweep

Just like we all predicted?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

DJExile posted:

So the fightin nerds are beating the dogshit out of Wisconsin and assuming to take a weekend sweep

Just like we all predicted?

nope but I love it. Go huskies.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CCHA posted:

The Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) announced Sunday a two-game suspension for Northern Michigan University’s sophomore defenseman Michael Van Unen.

The suspension is a result of Van Unen’s five-minute major penalty and game misconduct infraction for contact to the head, which occurred at the 18:25 mark of the first period in Northern Michigan's home contest on Saturday, Oct. 9 vs. St. Thomas. After further league review, the CCHA has determined that the penalty will result in supplemental discipline.

The suspension will be effective for the next two NCAA games, which fall on Oct. 16, 2021 against the University of Notre Dame and Oct. 22, 2021 against Bemidji State University.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yikes, hadn't heard about that hit :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm too tired to think of a dumb theme yet so TONIGHT'S GAMES YAY

God's Chosen Conference
Tommies vs. LSSU

Hockey East
Northeastern vs. BC on NESN+

Non-Con
Minn St. vs Providence
Michigan vs. Minn Duluth
Cloud vs. Minnesota
UConn vs. Ohio State
Colorado College vs. Union
Merrimack vs. Colgate
Canisius vs. RPI
Denver. vs Air Force
ND vs. Fightin Nerds
Miami vs. SPARTY, NOOO
Alaska vs. Neb-Omaha
UMass vs. AIC
UNH vs. Arizona State
NoDak vs. Bemidji
Sacred Heart vs. BU

Exhibition
US U-18 vs. Northern Mich
Ottawa vs. Dartmouth

Also Wisconsin beat army last night 4-1!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I can't wait for the UMass @ AIC game to end scoreless... they both would walk away without a win so far.

UMass is more understandable, losing twice to Mankato could happen to every other college hockey team. AIC losing to BC away is also understandable. But I'm worried about AIC dropping a game at home to Providence... and getting tonked 5-1 in that game.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

I can't wait for the UMass @ AIC game to end scoreless... they both would walk away without a win so far.

UMass is more understandable, losing twice to Mankato could happen to every other college hockey team. AIC losing to BC away is also understandable. But I'm worried about AIC dropping a game at home to Providence... and getting tonked 5-1 in that game.

AIC's gonna be fine. This month's a tough schedule for them, Army weekend aside, but they should absolutely sleepwalk through the conference.

Also how the poo poo do they only have 2 games in all of December :psyduck:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

UMass up 4-0 through 1, but AIC at least looked competitive in the second half of the first period.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

UMass up 4-0 through 1, but AIC at least looked competitive in the second half of the first period.

From what its sounded like, UMass is in a real good spot to potentially repeat. They didn't lose much from last year.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

From what its sounded like, UMass is in a real good spot to potentially repeat. They didn't lose much from last year.

AIC finished with 10 more shots on goal, but can't do much when you're goalie's save percentage is in the 70s. Would have been a much more fun game if the first ten minutes had been the last minutes.

Still a very good time.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The Gophers won today in bizarre fashion as fhe Husky defenseman appears to have held and hooked himself to the ice:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JDylanBurke/status/1449535789788848128

(How do you miss that?!)

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

The Gophers won today in bizarre fashion as fhe Husky defenseman appears to have held and hooked himself to the ice:

(How do you miss that?!)

:krad:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I've heard it said that the refs are out to lunch

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, that may be, but I’ll still take the W against SCSU. There have been plenty that have gone both ways over the years, so take it when they give it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Paracaidas posted:

(How do you miss that?!)

Dude shouldn't be allowed to ref for the rest of the year. That was ridiculous.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Stick it in the Louvre, or MoMA, or wherever you get your art https://twitter.com/umichhockey/status/1449529894724120577?s=21

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Wow, that is an AWFUL no call.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

DJExile posted:

Lindberg in himself was a pretty big loss in net. Hopefully Murray can show us why he was the starter before Lindberg took it from him.

We got another Makar on the team though, and that's always a good thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

College Hockey News posted:

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — The NCHC issued a statement today, acknowledging that a penalty, or penalties, should have been called on the play leading up to Minnesota's game-winning overtime goal against St. Cloud State on Saturday.

On the play, Minnesota forward Blake McLaughlin tugged the jersey of St. Cloud defender Nick Perbix, bringing him down. That allowed Minnesota to take the puck, and set up the winning goal by Sammy Walker.

St. Cloud coach Brett Larson said he was "embarassed" that the play ruined an otherwise good game. Minnesota coach Bob Motzko said he thought there should also have been an embellishment penalty on the play.

The league said that "Disciplinary action for any game officials will be handled internally by the conference office." The game referees were Tom Sterns and Sterling Egan.

Meanwhile, the league also said that actions taken by fans in St. Cloud in the aftermath of the game were "unacceptable under any circumstance and inconsistent with our mission, vision, and shared values. Endangering student-athletes, coaches, staff, officials, and other fans by projecting objects on the field of play will not be tolerated. The Conference will conduct a review of related policies with all member institutions to avoid these incidents in the future."

“Although it is not and will not become conference protocol to provide public comment on judgment calls made by game officials, this statement is being issued due to the significant impact on the game’s outcome, along with the dangerous aftermath,” NCHC Commissioner Josh Fenton said.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Embellishment, lol.

just be honest coach. bad call and you won. it happens.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I haven't watched a replay, but I'm certain St. Cloud was in the wrong. :colbert:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Gophers are trash.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

I haven't watched a replay, but I'm certain St. Cloud was in the wrong. :colbert:

For throwing stuff on the ice, absolutely. They should really know better where to throw out their garbage.

The ref makes a motion for a dive on the play too, so he clearly made a call about what he saw. These calls happen all the time too, it’s just rare they happen and then they score and the game is over.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The gopher player pulled up after like "ahhhhh gently caress". In a long season it will not really matter though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Motzko saying "yeah it should have been embellishment too" is just a delightful bit of gamesmanship and I love it

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
drat was looking at Umass's roster and they continue to recruit really well (lots of drafted dudes). I wonder how long they can keep that up being in loving Western Mass (admittedly Amherst is a solid place to live if you have money and a great party town). I guess until Pros or a really big school floors Carvel, but he does seem pretty happy at Umass so far and they've shown a willingness to invest in him and the program.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

T-Bone posted:

drat was looking at Umass's roster and they continue to recruit really well (lots of drafted dudes). I wonder how long they can keep that up being in loving Western Mass (admittedly Amherst is a solid place to live if you have money and a great party town). I guess until Pros or a really big school floors Carvel, but he does seem pretty happy at Umass so far and they've shown a willingness to invest in him and the program.

College seems to be a level where a number of coaches seem to find far more stability than at other levels. York and Jackson have been at BC and ND respectively for like 20 years, Hastings has built himself a great situation in Minn State, and Bob Daniels is about to celebrate 30 drat years at Ferris State. They're obviously not making NHL level money, and do have to deal with recruiting, but there is a whole drat lot to be said for having a stable gig. I could be way wrong on this but I feel like most coaching jobs at or above the NCAA level are far more trigger-happy on firing them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Motzko is only the third coach for the Gophers since 1985, and his contract goes until 2026 now. As long as you stay competitive you can end up in the same job for decades in college.

Some schools are more prone to switching, but those are also the ones who want to be at the top but aren’t for many reasons.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Western MA is a perfectly fine place to live. UMass is a big enough school that you get the full university experience, and while the local towns aren't that big you're only 3-4 hours from NYC and 90 minutes from Boston. Plus, if you like nature at all the Berkshires are damned nice.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I went to high school in Amherst and grew up in Springfield so yeah I understand the logistics/reality of living in Western Mass, it's not terrible but it's still Western Mass. Hockey players and coaches are boring people but I can't imagine wanting to live there if I had the money and opportunity to go to a reasonably non lovely big city (of which there are many in the NHL).

Carvel was in the NHL for 10 years and then came back to college, so maybe he prefers it. He sure seems like the perfect college candidate to get a NHL coaching job though, given his NHL experience and collegiate success. I know Buffalo reached out to him in their search.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 20, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

True. I'm hoping that Carvel starting at St. Lawrence before coming to UMass is an indication that he'd prefer to coach college, based on his years as an assistant for the Sens and Ducks you'd think he could have gotten hired as a head coach at the AHL level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah and in his interviews too it seems like he's more attuned to the whole college culture thing.

And Buffalo doesn't have Antonios so there's that