Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
Carvel also has connections to UMass, as does his wife. He really wanted the job and basically walked into the ADs office and said "hire me"

He also signed basically a lifetime contract that will forever increase. So long as he keeps winning and kids keep going to the NHL, UMass is going to be in the mix for titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

so WMU just thumped Michigan 5-2 to give them their first loss. Minn-Duluth knocked off Minnesota, Q'Pac is now 3-0-1 after beating NoDak, and Colorado college gets their first win of the season over BC. Colgate beat the dog poo poo out of Arizona State 8-3 in a game with 46 PIM, and Lake Superior exploded for a 5-goal first to hammer Union 7-4. Whole lotta defense-optional games in the early going, which kinda owns.

TONIGHT

CCHA
Bemidji @ NMU
Ferris @ Tommies

Heast
Merrimack @ BU

Non-Con
Post @ Long Island
SHU @ Maine
Union @ LSSU
Wisc @ Cloud
SPARTY NOOO @ Mass-Lowell
SPACEBEAR @ Clarkson
AZ State @ Colgate
Denver @ BC, 7PM on NESN
NoDak @ Q'Pac
Colorado Coll @ N'Eastern, 7PM on NESN+
RPI @ Vermont
Michigan @ WMU
Minn @ Minn-Duluth (how tf is that not televised)
Miami @ BG

Exhib
USAFA @ Lindenwood
US U-18 @ Cornell
Dartmouth @ UMass

go hockey

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
St. Thomas with their first D1 win over the State of Ferris 5-2. Gotta love watching “high level” college hockey in a high school arena.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bloopsy posted:

St. Thomas with their first D1 win over the State of Ferris 5-2. Gotta love watching “high level” college hockey in a high school arena.

did they ever say what they're going to do for UST indoor sports? the basketball gym isn't very big either.

anyway I went and saw Lindenwood against AFA yesterday. thoughts:

--for a team which is still playing guys recruited from Tier III (that's pay-to-play) junior hockey, Lindenwood gave a drat good account of themselves, leading 1-0 after 20 minutes
--the final was 6-1 Zoomies. 3 of those 6 came on the PP and Lindenwood went 0-for-7 or so with the extra man
--as great as a rink the new Blues facility is, they screwed up and put in a too-small videoboard. if you're on the ends some of the numbers on the scoreboard look like they could be dots.
--I still love that, for a school that has had multiple scandals about students/staff proselytizing about born-again Christianity, Air Force's beloved head coach is a profane, wine-drinking Italian man

all in all, a good $10, plus I got to see a few friends who had the same idea as me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I hadn't realized Frank's been coaching Air Force since 97, goddamn

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bloopsy posted:

It's a purpose built arena for their college and high school, but I've not been inside it. Pretty sure there are better high school rinks in MSP, but they'll be using them for actual high school hockey on the weekends. Aside from buying a city block in an expensive neighborhood in St Paul, there's not going to be a better option. I just find it amusing that they're playing 15-20 minutes away from campus.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Troy Queef posted:

did they ever say what they're going to do for UST indoor sports? the basketball gym isn't very big either.

The current basketball arena can fit around 2,000 and is only about 10 years old (along with most other facilities on campus) so it will be fine for now but a new facility will be needed if they want to continue moving the program forward. Overall, their facilities are among the best in D3 and are as good if not better than many D2 schools in the state, so the current olympic sports will be just fine with what is there already even at the D1 level.

Jhet posted:

It's a purpose built arena for their college and high school, but I've not been inside it. Pretty sure there are better high school rinks in MSP, but they'll be using them for actual high school hockey on the weekends. Aside from buying a city block in an expensive neighborhood in St Paul, there's not going to be a better option. I just find it amusing that they're playing 15-20 minutes away from campus.

It's a nice facility for HS/D3 but it's really poor for D1 hockey. As a season ticket holder I probably won't renew if they are playing there next season. There are just zero fan amenities and it's located out in Mendota next to nothing. Fortunately, everything that I have read/listened/been told points to a new arena being announced somewhat soon. A few parents have said that the staff is telling recruits this and i've heard Rico Blasi say that they are "finalizing" things with the city of St. Paul and to expect an announcement soon. This arena will likely be a multi-purpose that will be used for basketball as well. The location that I have heard the most about is at the old Ford plant that is undergoing massive redevelopment in Highland Park, which is less than 2 miles from campus right down Cretin ave, but I doubt it would be completed in time for next season.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bloopsy posted:

It's a nice facility for HS/D3 but it's really poor for D1 hockey. As a season ticket holder I probably won't renew if they are playing there next season. There are just zero fan amenities and it's located out in Mendota next to nothing. Fortunately, everything that I have read/listened/been told points to a new arena being announced somewhat soon. A few parents have said that the staff is telling recruits this and i've heard Rico Blasi say that they are "finalizing" things with the city of St. Paul and to expect an announcement soon. This arena will likely be a multi-purpose that will be used for basketball as well. The location that I have heard the most about is at the old Ford plant that is undergoing massive redevelopment in Highland Park, which is less than 2 miles from campus right down Cretin ave, but I doubt it would be completed in time for next season.

That could be a good spot for it. I haven’t been over there in a few years, but I’m sure it would be good for that neighborhood. I’d hope that they make a nice big complex/park with that space, maybe not as many fields as what they have in Blaine, but something to make another community rink too. It’s kind of close to Highland arena, but who wouldn’t want more ice time. If that’s true, it would be a great spot for a purpose built complex and good for being in D1 sports.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Lol at RIT beating Notre Dame. Go a Tiger.

That is all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress Notre Dame

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

iospace posted:

gently caress Notre Dame

empty quote

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Notable stuff! Western Michigan spotted Colgate a 5-0 lead and stormed back to win 6-5. BG beat Bemidji yay. Harvard destroyed Dartmouth 9-3 in both teams’ regular season debut. Remember when Maine and UNH were good? Yeah I don’t either. Vermont upsets BC in overtime for their first win. Lowell shuts out BU 3-0. Wisconsin had 4 goals on only 23 shots to beat Michigan 4-2. AIC defeats Q’Pac 2-2. Omaha destroys Long Island 6-0 and is off to a 6-1 start.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

DJExile posted:

Notable stuff! Western Michigan spotted Colgate a 5-0 lead and stormed back to win 6-5. BG beat Bemidji yay. Harvard destroyed Dartmouth 9-3 in both teams’ regular season debut. Remember when Maine and UNH were good? Yeah I don’t either. Vermont upsets BC in overtime for their first win. Lowell shuts out BU 3-0. Wisconsin had 4 goals on only 23 shots to beat Michigan 4-2. AIC defeats Q’Pac 2-2. Omaha destroys Long Island 6-0 and is off to a 6-1 start.

It's always a good day when both BC and BU lose.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
https://twitter.com/UMassHockey/status/1454664254783516676

Shared solely for the hit the UMass GK puts on his teammate after the OT win, at 1'24" in the video. Goddamned body slammed Morrow, lol.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
Let's get him on the UMass football team. They could use someone who can make a clean tackle like that.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Seeing Providence v. UMass tonight, anyone I should watch for on the Providence team?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

no big deal we're just struggling to stay tied with st Thomas and I'm getting ready to throw myself directly into oncoming traffic

habeasdorkus posted:

Seeing Providence v. UMass tonight, anyone I should watch for on the Providence team?

Brett Berard is well over a point per game and is shooting something hilarious like 22%

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Wisconsin just scored on themselves with the goalie pulled for a delayed penalty and I can't stop laughing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

blackmongoose posted:

Wisconsin just scored on themselves with the goalie pulled for a delayed penalty and I can't stop laughing

oh there BETTER be a gif of this

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

no big deal we're just struggling to stay tied with st Thomas and I'm getting ready to throw myself directly into oncoming traffic

Brett Berard is well over a point per game and is shooting something hilarious like 22%

Didn't score tonight! Did tell him to get his teammate after his teammate crashed the goalie. Very fun game, should have been 2-0 UMass but was only 1-0 sure to an extremely quick whistle.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1456792881415479296

oh my god looooool

that poor defenseman just giving up when he realizes it's headed right for it

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am no Northern Michigan lover but they beat BU and I can get behind that.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1456792881415479296

oh my god looooool

that poor defenseman just giving up when he realizes it's headed right for it

A thing of beauty.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That's beautiful.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Notable results:

Long Island managed to tie Mass-Lowell 3-3. Lake Superior came back to beat the fightin' nerds in OT, they're now 7-3-1 and I feel like that's gotta be one of their best starts in a long time. Maine continues their winless streak after dropping a 4-3 decision to UConn. Miami breaks Omaha's 7 game win streak in a 4-3 win with just 13 total shots. Western Michigan is now 6-1 after a hard-fought 4-3 win over Minn-Duluth. Wisconsin overcomes that brutal own-goal to beat Minnesota 4-3 in OT. Michigan crushed SPARTY, NO 7-2. Northern Mich knocked off BU. The Terriers are off to a rough 3-6 start and get UMass next weekend.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

go the hawks bitch (we're still bad)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1457165869532975104

Somebody run that oval office if he doesn't get suspended, tia.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Northern Michigan just swept BU, like we all predicted. UMass exploded for a 4 goal 3rd to hammer Providence 5-1. Minn-Duluth bounced back to shut out Western 3-0. Maine is now winless in 8 games and the back half of their schedule looks pretty miserable so RIP them. Yale's winless as well but none of the Ivy League teams have played more than 4 games yet. Meanwhile Colgate, Union, and Q'Pac have all played 10+ games. ECAC scheduling is weird.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Late but gently caress it

CCHA
Bemidji @ LSSU
Northern Michigan @ Fightin Nerds
BG @ Minn-State

ECAC
Harvard @ Clarkson
RPI @ 'Gate
Union @ Cornell
Dartmouth @ St. Laws

HEAST
Vermont @ UNH
BC @ UConn
N'Eastern @ Mass-Lowell
UMass @ BU
Merrimack @ Maine

NCHC
ColColl @ Minn Duluth
WMU @Denver
NoDak @ Miami
Omaha @ Cloud

Leaders/Legends
OSU @ Minnesota
Michigan @ PSU
Wisconsin @ ND

Non-Con
Princeton @ LIU
AIC @ Providence
AZ State @ Q'Pac
Yale @ Army

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Minnesota State looks good. Really good.

I can't even be mad. (I'm a little mad)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Let's go NERDS!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hey yall, been a little bit, let's see where poo poo stands:

just as we all predicted, Bemidji is right behind Minn State in the CCHA. Tommies? Well, welcome to the fukkn show.

Michigan and Minnesota are locked atop the B1G right now. Wisconsin is uh... oof.

Logjam on top of the ECAC with Cornell, Harvard, Q'Pac and [checks notes] Clarkson? Huh, that's new.

UMass and Northeastern off to very hot starts in Hockey East, Remember when UNH, Vermont, and Maine didn't suck? Yeah I don't either.

NoDak is currently cruising atop the NCHC, Western Mich isn't far behind.

Independents! Arizona State checks in at a... decent 7-9. THey're just coming off a brutal weekend where Denver outscored them 13-3. SPACEBEAR only has 1 win, brutal time for them. Long Island has... kinda held their own! Wound up blowing out Miami over thanksgiving and have played UMass-Lowell, Princeton, and RPI all to ties.

TONIGHT!

CCHA
Northern Mich @ LSSU
Tommies @ Fightin Nerds
Minn State @ Bemidji in what should be a great weekend series.
Ferris State @ BG

ECAC
Brown @ Yale, 5 wins between them! Good seats still available for that one, I'm sure.

Hockey East
UMass Lowell @ Vermont
BC @ BU at 7:30, game's on NESN

NCHC
Omaha @ WMU
Denver @ Minn-Duluth
NoDak @ ColColl

B1G
Michigan @ Ohio State at 7PM on BTN
Penn State @ Wisconsin
SPARTY, NOOO @ Notre Dame at 7:30PM on NBCSN

Non-Conf
Princeton @ Providence at 7PM on NESN+
Clarkson @ Arizona State
RPI @ SPACEBEAR
Union @ Maine
Q'Pac @ LIU

go your team

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

hawks bad so what

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/umichhockey/status/1469450792893624321?s=20

(the Michigan Stadium DJ kept playing "Pump It Up" by Danzel before Michigan kickoffs 2 weekends ago when they beat That School Down South, and it's acquired a meme status as a result)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Some killer goalie pads from the Gopher Women.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTqZ-KJgAkE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yoooooo those are awesome

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

yoooooo those are awesome

I know, the Gopher Women’s team is awesome.

That goalie gear is out of sight.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

miami women's to d1 when

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

bobby mo rides again https://twitter.com/chnews/status/1471874760116260875?t=LocKZDnnttRI168tAXNfLA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wow, would not have expected that