Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

You legit love to see it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A CHN writer is accusing teams, specifically Michigan, of postponing games as a way of ducking losses.

quote:

In case you missed it, Michigan announced it could not play its Dec. 30 game against Western Michigan. Its reason? "(D)ue to health and welfare protocols." A phrase so vague as to be meaningless. Michigan has denied repeated attempts to elaborate.

Mean time, Michigan is still scheduled to play Michigan Tech on Dec. 29 — the day before — in the other GLI showcase game.

It begged — and still begs — the immediate question: If Michigan is in such bad shape, how is it able to play Dec. 29 and not Dec. 30?

The easy conclusion is that Michigan is ducking Western Michigan, a top-end Pairwise team that nearly swept the Wolverines earlier in the season. Michigan has five prominent players out at the World Juniors — major star players. WMU is intact. Taking a loss here could hurt its Pairwise, and Michigan doesn't want to take the chance.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Kalamazoo is an hour and a half or so from Ann Arbor. Michigan could pretty easily at home test its players, coaches, driver, and anyone else in the travelling party before heading there to make sure no one with a positive test got on... and give every player n95 masks for the trip. This does smack of gaming the system.

e: like, postponing all games for the time being due to Omicron is understandable and very possibly the correct thing to do, but that's not what Michigan is doing here.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 29, 2021

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

habeasdorkus posted:

that's not what Michigan is doing here.

Yeah, having 5 guys out at World Juniors and claiming they can't play the game is hilariously dumb and I don't know how they're actually getting away with it. Kinda hope they get poo poo on on the 29th for even trying.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah the "health and welfare protocols" line is 100% a "yeah it's uh... definitely covid. Yep. Definitely. Don't ask any more questions." thing.

I'm not even that sure why they're so panicked about Pairwise because at this point they're basically a lock for the national tournament anyway. Their only remaining conference games of any importance are in a couple weeks at Minnesota. Penn State, Sparty, and OSU are all trash this year and they'll pick up more than enough points in those weekends to comfortably stay on top of the conference.

Come conference tournament time it's them and Minnesota as the only two good teams anyway and they should both easily be through to the nationals.

E: Oh lmao I forgot Ohio State smoked them 6-1 a couple weeks ago. Yeah, they're panicking. I hope the Fightin' Nerds run them out of the building tonight.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 29, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Honestly, they’re panicking because they’re missing 1/4 of their team to the WJ. Should they be fine, yep. Should they have scheduled non-conference games during the WJ and semester break? Probably not.

I hope they get smoked by Minnesota, lose the Big10 title, and go out in the first round of nationals now. And as much as I’d want to push for the Gophers winning it instead they don’t strike me as doing it this year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I could absolutely see Notre Dame giving them trouble too. Their offense is middling at best but they are really loving good defensively this year (and are at like a 93% PK) and it's not hard to see them giving Michigan fits in their final weekend before the conference tournament and maybe loving up seeding.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/cchahockey/status/1476336004462268426?s=21

:siren: MICHIGAN GOAL ALERT :siren:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Did the referee not wave that off? He's in frame waving something off for a high stick. Which it was because it was over the cross bar. Points for the attempt, but not on the execution.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jhet posted:

Did the referee not wave that off? He's in frame waving something off for a high stick. Which it was because it was over the cross bar. Points for the attempt, but not on the execution.

It counted according to the final box score, guessing it was reviewed.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

It counted according to the final box score, guessing it was reviewed.

Interesting. I hope it's because of something good and not just because it bounced off the goalie before going in. I love the trick plays and lifts and flips, but not at the expense of goalies getting screwed in the process.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

near as I can tell from box scores and some tweets, the fightin nerds are grinding the poo poo out of Michigan and still scoreless with 3 minutes to go, god please let them pull this off

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

scoreless tie final, ah well

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Minn state just beat minn Duluth 2-1 whoa

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
https://www.startribune.com/gophers-mens-hockey-goalie-jack-lafontaine-leaves-team-to-sign-with-carolina-hurricanes/600134251/

Congratulations Michigan on the Big10 title.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/mtuhky/status/1480600898384449538

neeerrrrrrds

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

One of my good friends was a the 3rd string goalie on the team when I was there. All the perks of a scholarship, none of the travel. Knocked out that Civil Engineering degree like a boss. Most of the sports folks are in the business school though.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Who has a 12-8 record this year and a .900 sv% and just hosed off to the pros?

This guy.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jovial Cow posted:

US olympic roster is out, looks like a lot of kids:

Forwards:

Nick Abruzesse (Harvard, NCAA) — Toronto
Kenny Agostino (Torpedo, KHL)
Matty Beniers (Michigan, NCAA) — Seattle
Brendan Brisson (Michigan, NCAA) — Vegas
Noah Cates (Minnesota-Duluth, NCAA) — Philadelphia
Sean Farrell (Harvard, NCAA) — Montreal
Sam Hentges (St. Cloud State, NCAA) — Minnesota
Matthew Knies (Minnesota, NCAA) — Toronto
Marc McLaughlin (Boston College, NCAA)
Ben Meyers (Minnesota, NCAA)
Andy Miele (Torpedo, KHL)
Brian O’Neill (Jokerit, KHL)
Nick Shore (Novosibirsk, KHL)
Nathan Smith (Minnesota State) — Winnipeg

Defense:

Brian Cooper (IK Oskarshamn, SHL)
Brock Faber (Minnesota, NCAA) — L.A.
Drew Helleson (Boston College NCAA) — Colorado
Steven Kampfer (Ak Bars Kazan, KHL)
Aaron Ness (Providence, AHL)
Nick Perbix (St. Cloud State, NCAA) — Tampa Bay
Jake Sanderson (North Dakota, NCAA) — Ottawa
David Warsofsky (Ingolstadt, DEL)

Goaltenders:

Drew Commesso (Boston University, NCAA) — Chicago
Strauss Mann (Skelleftea, SHL)
Pat Nagle (Lehigh Valley, AHL)

Quoting this into the relevant thread, because that’s a college roster.

Also loving how Minnesota get the “honor” of sending three skaters (the most from anywhere) after losing their goalie to the NHL for what’s going to end up being 3 games. You could almost call it 4 with Aaron Ness going too. At least Michigan is losing some top talent too, but they play each other while the Olympics are happening.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I was given ticked to Miami at UMD on Saturday, and ended up seeing one of the better games I've ever attended. It's fun to go watch when you don't really care who wins if you get to see a good close game.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hockey when you don’t have a dog in the fight is so drat fun

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Michigan Tech is 11 in the Pairwise right now, LET'S GO BOYS!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rick Bennett has resigned as Union head coach effective immediately

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/SamDodgeMLive/status/1487434717674852359?s=20&t=INIbIJs_M5NzGnrL_M9nWw
woops

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Part of me has to respect the gall they had to underreport Covid cases for the national tournament then overreport them to duck games when they sent guys to the WJC

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

DJExile posted:

Part of me has to respect the gall they had to underreport Covid cases for the national tournament then overreport them to duck games when they sent guys to the WJC

If we are honest sports hasn't really cared about covid once football started in the fall of 2020.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well sure yeah, but Michigan got particularly blatant about it

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

DJExile posted:

Well sure yeah, but Michigan got particularly blatant about it

The state isn't known for the best decision making in the world. :) (I am from there so....)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/mtuhky/status/1488641965801361409?s=21

Nerds got new whites. I’m really burned out on circled logos like this but the rest isn’t bad.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I kind of like it but I am biased. What I am not biased about is MTU have a dominating 5 game run. Go Huskies Go.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BG is going to get absolutely loving housed by Minn. State this weekend, hoo boy

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

DJExile posted:

Miami is going to get absolutely loving housed by whoever every weekend, hoo boy

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/cchahockey/status/1495223127600775171?s=21

Not exactly shocking

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

For sure. MTU locking down second though. Would be really good for the huskies to get a split next weekend against them though. Played them decently well last december on the road and have been on a good run here since those games.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BGs probably not getting out of the first round of the conference tournament this year, holy hell they’ve been rough

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Two games against St. Thomas. God drat this is gonna be sweet.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Tech played pretty well last weekend and I think they should cruise this weekend. Then I would say we have a chance in the CCHA final 4. We all know who the favorite is but still a chance.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

"Man, Penn State is really loving bad at hockey this year, I wonder if they're even going to the conference tourn-" oh of course they are, it's such a joke :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fifty Three posted:

"Man, Penn State is really loving bad at hockey this year, I wonder if they're even going to the conference tourn-" oh of course they are, it's such a joke :lol:

There's only 7 teams in the conference, of course they are. Everyone does because why not? Big10 hockey is just bad as a conference. I liked it better when some of the teams didn't actually get to play in it. Made the regular season feel like it meant something other than just seeding.

I'm mostly just surprised that Minnesota has only lost 3 games since they lost their starting goalie to the NHL. Not that they played many difficult weekends.