Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

I found bee movie entertaining and I have watched it a double digit amount of times

To each their own, but sweet fuckin poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was a fun enjoyable movie

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

this is a 'popular' opinion, you fool, you imbecile

well at least someone else out there agrees with me

I guess "hardcore fans of a thing" and "people who like good movies" are two completely separate groups

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 1, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Star Wars is easily the most overrated movie series ever.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Jack Trades posted:

Star Wars is easily the most overrated movie series ever.

How are your opinions about this and the MCU unpopular anywhere on earth?

Plus „X is overrated“ is the most intellectually lazy thing ever, because it applies to everything and can never be meaningfully discussed.

I think asking people for their opinions on movies is overrated.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On the other hand, "Star Wars is good" or "MCU movies are good" have got to be the very definition of popular opinions.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Away all Goats posted:

I really enjoyed it to but I can never articulate why. Its just entertaining.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bargearse posted:

The Star Wars sequels are good, The Last Jedi is easily the best thing to happen to the franchise since Empire Strikes Back, and the trilogy only shat the bed when Rise of Skywalker tried to please a bunch of nerds who wouldn’t have been happy no matter what happened.

Star Wars at no point approached being "good", even during its heyday.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Beartaco posted:

Do we still see this often in media? It was a very 00s attitude to feminism that continued into the early 10s but I feel like has definitely fallen out of favour over the past decade.

Given I haven't seen a lot of movies since Covid started, but last I saw the superhero movies were still pulling this. Like, yes she's a model in a catsuit, but she encompasses all the traditionally masculine points of favor (military/aggressive/callous/if she's given any interest or personal hobbies at all, it's usually vehicle-related or just... fighting) Only counter example I can think of for that genre is Honey Lemon from Big Hero 6.

And I'm going for superheroes as an example because that's the biggest, blockbusteriest genre. Still.

And good loving lord, that live-action Mulan...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

:hai:
It make no sense and it's clearly inferior to the comic. But it's still my favorite adaption of an Alan Moore comic.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The later Pirates of the Caribbean movies might be overlong slogs that fly up their own butt with contradictory series mythology and spending way too much time on Captain Jack and trying to make him into a hero when that wasn't his role in the first movie at all -

But I still enjoy them quite a bit and I will go see every one of these movies in theaters to really soak up the supernatural swashbuckling action. I can objectively say that "Dead Men Tell No Tales" is a bad movie for many reasons, but I loved that stupid movie in theaters and will gladly watch it if it pops up on TV.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Whenever someone agrees that a movie is bad, but then adds the caveat "But the world building was interesting/good!", they're actually confessing that they loved the film, they just don't want to be ridiculed for liking it.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Watched Titane after seeing endless praise from the horror thread. Was the stupidest, most pointless film I've seen all year and I watch a lot of horror movies. It was unforgettable all right, just not in a good way. Had to read an explanation of the ending to figure out what the hell had happened.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I agree Titane was kind of poo poo.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I don't really get the mass appeal of Miyazaki movies. I acknowledge they look great but when I've tried watching them as a dumb westerner the plot seems to jump around randomly like in Spirited Away, Ponyo and Kiki's Delivery Service had the tone of little kid movies, and I probably liked My Neighbor Totoro the most but it was still a bit dull.

I'm sure they're enjoyable for a certain audience and I'm not questioning the craftsmanship, but for me the cultural divide is so much they have no appeal past novelty and I don't get why so many adults treat them like holy works of perfection.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Watchmen is one of the most complete and entertaining movies in the superhero genre.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Also Halloween Kills should have been named Michael Myers vs the B team, if they even rank that high.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I don't really get the mass appeal of Miyazaki movies. I acknowledge they look great but when I've tried watching them as a dumb westerner the plot seems to jump around randomly like in Spirited Away, Ponyo and Kiki's Delivery Service had the tone of little kid movies, and I probably liked My Neighbor Totoro the most but it was still a bit dull.

I'm sure they're enjoyable for a certain audience and I'm not questioning the craftsmanship, but for me the cultural divide is so much they have no appeal past novelty and I don't get why so many adults treat them like holy works of perfection.

The level of pacifism in them, while intentional, is downright uncanny to me because the main characters sometimes don't really look like human. And it's not like the movies themselves are devoid of violence, some of the villains are extremely abusive and cruel. I don't feel any catharsis in the characters conquering over their challenges peacefully because it doesn't feel like there's a lesson to be learned, instead they just act like they're robots actually incapable of having negative feelings toward abusers.

It's loving bizarre and it throws movies I otherwise find enjoyable right in the uncanny valley.

Also it has nothing to do with you being a westerner, Miyazaki was very deliberate about the tone of his movies being different. They are counter-cultural (even to Japanese standards) very, very much on purpose. Hell, depending on what you're watching and from which period, you might find the gap between his works and other contemporaneous Japanese works even more blatant.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 2, 2021

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Like, why do you loathe her so much though?

Because they put her in everything and media won't stop kissing up with every other article.

Not entirely her fault but geez man, it only took one forgettible portrayal of MJ to coast for an entire career. There are so many better actresses that deserve that spotlight over her.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Watchmen is one of the most complete and entertaining movies in the superhero genre.

The biggest dwarf

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Parrotine posted:

Because they put her in everything and media won't stop kissing up with every other article.

Not entirely her fault but geez man, it only took one forgettible portrayal of MJ to coast for an entire career. There are so many better actresses that deserve that spotlight over her.

20 years ago this could have been about Kirsten Dunst

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Bargearse posted:

20 years ago this could have been about Kirsten Dunst

Until I followed the quote link in the post I thought it was.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Who didn't hear the song COMING TO AMERICA must have been lost without so much of a map in the middle of the Adirondacks. New York never been a backdrop for too romantic a comedy has that inbred sadness just to make a killing with just one switchblade . This Broadway look on itself does what the stage promises. Compared to ROMEO and JULIA the new version comes across more like the breathless even mad dance of some juvenile phantasy the dime store used to hawk to teenage girls with all the romance of an icecream sandwich on rye. Left to say that Boris Leven made sure there were hints at color in the Mexican birdcage behind an array of strung often too tightly wound clotheslines around the lovers wrists who see only heaven where there should be Hell's Kitchen. Some of the shots in WESTSIDE STORY could be a bottlecap Coke commercial whats missing though amidst the racy Racism without which the story would grind to a halt midbalcony is the Story in WESTSIDE STORY. Its a Saul Chaplin Walter Mirisch cooked up smash hit and that credit goes to the dancers. Its neither a story nor is it about the grime of the racous Brooklyn.

Its a phantasy held together by the two ends of apronstrings dangling before the viewer.

What made this of all films so challenging to revisit remains the unbroken law that phantasy has its own laws. The new version is much a teaching tool with the filmschools left to their own discretion. An idea certainly FW MURNAU had long ago.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Chrpno posted:

Who didn't hear the song COMING TO AMERICA must have been lost without so much of a map in the middle of the Adirondacks. New York never been a backdrop for too romantic a comedy has that inbred sadness just to make a killing with just one switchblade . This Broadway look on itself does what the stage promises. Compared to ROMEO and JULIA the new version comes across more like the breathless even mad dance of some juvenile phantasy the dime store used to hawk to teenage girls with all the romance of an icecream sandwich on rye. Left to say that Boris Leven made sure there were hints at color in the Mexican birdcage behind an array of strung often too tightly wound clotheslines around the lovers wrists who see only heaven where there should be Hell's Kitchen. Some of the shots in WESTSIDE STORY could be a bottlecap Coke commercial whats missing though amidst the racy Racism without which the story would grind to a halt midbalcony is the Story in WESTSIDE STORY. Its a Saul Chaplin Walter Mirisch cooked up smash hit and that credit goes to the dancers. Its neither a story nor is it about the grime of the racous Brooklyn.

Its a phantasy held together by the two ends of apronstrings dangling before the viewer.

What made this of all films so challenging to revisit remains the unbroken law that phantasy has its own laws. The new version is much a teaching tool with the filmschools left to their own discretion. An idea certainly FW MURNAU had long ago.

I smell burnt toast.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Ten Things I Hate About You is the best Shakespeare based movie and one of the only good romcoms in existence.

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
The matrix franchise is star wars for millenials and resurections is the best matrix

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

uno.mannschaft posted:

The matrix franchise is star wars for millenials and resurections is the best matrix

nah

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Fifth Element is a terrible terrible movie and people saying they like it is a worldwide conspiracy based solely on trying to trick me

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

2021 Dune is even better if one has seen 1984 Dune several times. They complement each other well.

Also, the 2021 should have used the Harkonnen chairs designed by H.R. Giger.

Is so.

oldpainless posted:

The Fifth Element is a terrible terrible movie and people saying they like it is a worldwide conspiracy based solely on trying to trick me

I loved Chris Tucker in it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

T Bowl posted:

gently caress most Chris Nolan movies especially Inception.

Nolan makes movies by Redditors, for Redditors.

pretty soft girl posted:

If anyone sells a movie to me as being so smart and clever it always seems like a red flag. Cabin in the Woods was okay but it wasn't this genius deconstruction of horror that everyone seemed to think it was (also Joss Whedon style dialog is still one of the worst things to happen to movies)

I really enjoy Cabin in the Woods, but mainly because it has a Monster Zoo in it and I love Monster Zoos.

One of Whedon's (many) problems is that for someone who's been active in horror adjacent genres so much, he seems really stuck on an idea of the genre that hasn't really been relevant since about 1984. I get what's meant by the "rip it up and start again" ending (which completely ignored that a lot of great horror was being made around the time CITW) and in universe seems like a wildly selfish act from people who were doomed anyway.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 17, 2022

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
E: doublepost

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Fifth element is like the anti-Die Hard; many scripts start their live as potential fifth element sequel, reboot or reimagination, but it always becomes something else before getting greenlit.

At the same time if you rewrite a rejected action flick script enough times, it gets filmed as a Die Hard movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

People are going to say that about the Incal movie and a lot of nerds will have to bite their tongues.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I loved Chris Tucker in it.

Such an amazing performance.

I'm so over Bruce Willis, so it's not that great seeing him play the same fuckin role he always does, but it's a fun world and story.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
According to the awful app, I wrote a post for this thread 98 days ago and never pulled the trigger.

Anyway, outside of purposfully seeking sub-20% RT scores, Matrix 4 is one of the worst films I've ever sat through. Some bad movies are at least short, but it doesn't even have that much decency.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

People are going to say that about the Incal movie and a lot of nerds will have to bite their tongues.

Really unclear to me what you're referring to. That many scripts start their lives as potential Incal sequels? Or do you mean that The Incal will get filmed as a Die Hard movie?

I just hope it'll be a competent adaptation. Not expecting anything, but I'll give Taika Waititi the benefit of the doubt.

Bismuth posted:

According to the awful app, I wrote a post for this thread 98 days ago and never pulled the trigger.

Anyway, outside of purposfully seeking sub-20% RT scores, Matrix 4 is one of the worst films I've ever sat through. Some bad movies are at least short, but it doesn't even have that much decency.

"My unpopular opinion: I do not like this unpopular movie."

Also, seriously, why not provide some substantiation? Otherwise we could all just vote on a Google survey or similar.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That it feels like a Fifth Element ripoff :)

(when it's famously the other way around)

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Really unclear to me what you're referring to. That many scripts start their lives as potential Incal sequels? Or do you mean that The Incal will get filmed as a Die Hard movie?

I just hope it'll be a competent adaptation. Not expecting anything, but I'll give Taika Waititi the benefit of the doubt.

"My unpopular opinion: I do not like this unpopular movie."

Also, seriously, why not provide some substantiation? Otherwise we could all just vote on a Google survey or similar.

Well sorry, Ive just seen a bunch of people saying how its some triumphant witty meta thing so I watched it because I liked the old movies when I was a kid and people were saying good things about it

Im sure everyone has gone on about how its way too long or the meta commentary went on for way too long and was too on the nose, or the exposition went on for way too long, or it brought back tons of characters that didnt need to be there and only served to stretch out the run time, but of course that was part of the joke i'm sure.

I think above all else the thing I hated most was how bad it looked. The old movies were very visually distinct, a lot of the time you can take a still from one that doesnt even have the character's faces and figure out what movie/series you're looking at because of the way things were framed, lighting was used, silhouettes, color, etc. They were unique and cool to look at, and the action was heavily choreographed in a really unique way that managed to be clear even when it was cluttered (most of the time) and often managed to look like someone had brought a stylized comic book panel to life. They also tended to have a lot of in-matirx scenes be kind of clean and more simple, and the outside/real world scenes be more dark and chaotic visually, which was neat. There are so many scenes from the old movies that I can see distinctly in my head despite it having been probably 10 years since I watched any of them, but I struggle to conjure a memorable moment from this one.

This movie didnt use any of the neat tricks of the old ones. Every scene was cluttered, dark, and chaotic, the cuts were weird, the fight scenes were incomprehensible, no neat contrasts of color or uses of the environment to frame or silhouette characters. It was basically indistinguishable from any modern action movie except with a little more fantasy physics so I guess any modern superhero movie.

All this was made so much more obvious when they kept replaying clips from the old films or projecting them in the background of scenes, it was wild seeing these very cool dynamic scenes from 20+ years ago sprinkled here and there throughout this boring ugly marathon of a film.

like i guess I "get it", they didnt want to make a 4th movie but were forced to so its meta because they made it bad on purpose or something, but drat

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

wait taika waititi is making a movie of the Incal? is it gonna be animated because if not gently caress off with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

They should stop making batman movies