Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

Nolan makes movies by Redditors, for Redditors.

I really enjoy Cabin in the Woods, but mainly because it has a Monster Zoo in it and I love Monster Zoos.

One of Whedon's (many) problems is that for someone who's been active in horror adjacent genres so much, he seems really stuck on an idea of the genre that hasn't really been relevant since about 1984.

I agree with this, but it also made me realize that's around the point where horror shifted from the Mascot Killer phase to more behind-the-scenes ethereal concepts in films, and it would be pretty dang tough to represent a presence like the Paranormal Activity demon or Death from Final Destination in an underground steel box. Might have been a simple case of 'uh I don't know how to do that so let's go with the cenobytes instead'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Bismuth posted:

Well sorry :bandwagon:

I'm not seeing how this bland, derivative and mass-produced opinion is in any way unpopular, given that the movie lost money.

Sid Vicious posted:

wait taika waititi is making a movie of the Incal? is it gonna be animated because if not gently caress off with it

Yes, it's gonna be animated, showing all panels of the book with voiceover. Only practical effects will be used and the music will be by Pink Floyd and Radiohead, played live on acoustic instruments.

I don't care if he'll reproduce the source material faithfully as long as it's fun to watch and gets the general spirit of the story. From what little I've seen of his movies (Thor: Ragnarok and Jojo Rabbit), Waititi seems to be very good at combining dram with humor, which is a major aspect of The Incal stories.

These kinds of movies can't just be made to satisfy the 100,000 or so people who have actually read the books.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I'm not seeing how this bland, derivative and mass-produced opinion is in any way unpopular, given that the movie lost money.

Yes, it's gonna be animated, showing all panels of the book with voiceover. Only practical effects will be used and the music will be by Pink Floyd and Radiohead, played live on acoustic instruments.

I don't care if he'll reproduce the source material faithfully as long as it's fun to watch and gets the general spirit of the story. From what little I've seen of his movies (Thor: Ragnarok and Jojo Rabbit), Waititi seems to be very good at combining dram with humor, which is a major aspect of The Incal stories.

These kinds of movies can't just be made to satisfy the 100,000 or so people who have actually read the books.

the art is like, a massive part of The Incal lmao

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

sorry my personal opinion that I wrote without reading anyone else's reviews first is too mass produced and derivative for you, next time I'll make sure to complain about something no one else has noticed yet so my opinions will be unique enough :rolleyes:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm sure that The Incal will be just as well realised and received as Valerian was

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Danny Boyles best film is Sunshine

I'd agree with this.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Breetai posted:

I'm sure that The Incal will be just as well realised and received as Valerian was

why are you trying to hurt me

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Sid Vicious posted:

the art is like, a massive part of The Incal lmao

Go read the book like I do.

Breetai posted:

Only if it's 100% like the books will it be good :rolleyes:

I'm not expecting anything, but seeing it as an opportunity.

Bismuth posted:

sorry my personal opinion that I wrote without reading anyone else's reviews first is too mass produced and derivative for you, next time I'll make sure to complain about something no one else has noticed yet so my opinions will be unique enough :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm sure you hadn't seen any generic comments on any site. But even if you didn't, the thread title is "Unpopular movie opinions", so either you should know what's popular or do some research.

The general whining about sequels and The Matrix sequels in particular is inescapable outside of maybe Pyongyang.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i have read the books thats why i think its insane to try and make it a live action film lmao

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Only if it's 100% like the books will it be good :rolleyes:

Please point to anywhere in the thread that I've said anything that this is a coherent response to.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Parrotine posted:

Technically not a movie but I absolutely loathe Zendaya; she's shoved in everything that uses a camera and the entertainment media will not shut up about this dumb actress :bang:

I'm watching the Dune movie and she is weighing down the picture by a landslide, get her off my screen.

You sound just like my wife.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

zendaya fuckin owns

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I love Martin Lawrence and Black Knight is one of my favorite movies ever made.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Guy Ritchie and Tarantino should make the next phase of Marvel Movies. Throw in some Michael Bay, and maybe some Spielberg why not. Just gently caress it all up.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

Guy Ritchie and Tarantino should make the next phase of Marvel Movies. Throw in some Michael Bay, and maybe some Spielberg why not. Just gently caress it all up.

if tarantino did it, there wouldn't be any more feats of strength, it'd just be feets

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Breetai posted:

Absolutely savage

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

syntaxfunction posted:

They managed to convince Sam Raimi to do one so you might get your wish

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Breetai posted:

Please point to anywhere in the thread that I've said anything that this is a coherent response to.

Very sorry, I took some artistic liberty because that's usually implied by the kinds of comments like I'm seeing on The Incal.

Unpopular opinion: I didn't think the Valerian movie was all that bad (and I have read every book plus additional one-off stories, all in French).

With the way the movie business works, this never had a chance because if the first movie of a possible franchise isn't super successful, no further movies are ever made. You can never use a slow burning story as a script for the first smash hit, because that would have a low chance of having mass appeal, and many Valérian et Laureline stories build up slowly.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Very sorry, I took some artistic liberty because that's usually implied by the kinds of comments like I'm seeing on The Incal.

Unpopular opinion: I didn't think the Valerian movie was all that bad (and I have read every book plus additional one-off stories, all in French).

With the way the movie business works, this never had a chance because if the first movie of a possible franchise isn't super successful, no further movies are ever made. You can never use a slow burning story as a script for the first smash hit, because that would have a low chance of having mass appeal, and many Valérian et Laureline stories build up slowly.

I think if the two stars had had any chemistry whatsoever, it could have been good. Like I think if it had been Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield it would have been great.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Spiderman 3 Part 3 was an enjoyable movie, not a cynical nostalgia driven cash grab

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Outpost22 posted:

Spiderman 3 Part 3 was an enjoyable movie, not a cynical nostalgia driven cash grab

Glad to hear, I didn’t know Spider-Man 3 had 3 parts, where can I get parts 2 and 3?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Glad to hear, I didn’t know Spider-Man 3 had 3 parts, where can I get parts 2 and 3?

your mom lmao

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sid Vicious posted:

zendaya fuckin owns

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Robocop is the only good Verhoeven movie.

And Robocop 2 is nearly as good as the original.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

Robocop is the only good Verhoeven movie.

And Robocop 2 is nearly as good as the original.

starship troopers was better

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Starship Troopers and Robocop are both equally good

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

starship troopers was better

Starship Troopers sucks rear end.

"Oh look, I dressed my characters up as Nazis, can you tell I'm making a satire?"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

"Oh look, I dressed my characters up as Nazis, can you tell I'm making a satire?"

look at this guy who missed the joke.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Starship Troopers and Robocop are about as subtle as a brick. Dude is basically an anti-fascist afterschool special director.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
remember that time Robocop shot that dude in the dick?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

PeterCat posted:

The sad thing is how many people didn't

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

no my memory is awful ):

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sid Vicious posted:

no my memory is awful ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cySKHPqIjw&t=94s

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

lol thank you

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Often, it’s all I think about

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Often, it’s all I think about

it's one of my top ten favorite movie moment of all time

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Caesar Saladin posted:

Total Recall also holds up great, and has a bizarrely high number of Star Trek actors. Upon rewatch I think 100% it’s all an implanted memory.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Total Recall also holds up great, and has a bizarrely high number of Star Trek actors. Upon rewatch I think 100% it’s all an implanted memory.

It is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I think, "Who cares. Kiss the girl, Arnold."