Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mycophobia posted:

"All teleportals are now connected." :aaa:

Wtf i never got this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i thought it was because i found all of them

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

oh yeah i think it happened after i had revealed both orange teleportals on the map (but hadn't reached either of them) so that could be it??

it was a little confusing because i could highlight the orange ones like all the others but pressing A just didn't do anything. id expect them to be grayed out or something.

big deal fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 5, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I figured it happened at a certain point in the story, like maybe when you reach Raven Beak? I dunno but I wasted a bunch of time running around to grab upgrades at endgame in my first playthrough before I used a teleporter randomly and discovered I could warp anywhere

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
That feature unlocks when you enter the final area.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

not sure that i ever got the teleportal thing but i was at about 50 percent so many i didn't find them all? i'd love to explore the game more, but my man kiryu needs me, i left him right toward the end of his story.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

b_d posted:

speaking of central units , how come they're mother brain. i mean they're brains with an eyeball. and their rooms have rinkas and those annoying turrets. i guess they're related to the EMMIs so the federation is building mother brains now? i mean they could have been on the planet already and there just happened to be 1 for each EMMI and they made their zones around them for some reason but that seems less likely.

Central units are, in my opinion, just a Chozo thing. Mother Brain was a Chozo biocomputer, and the central units are biocomputers of a similar type. ZDR is a Chozo colony so they use central units. In terms of "lore" it seems safe to assume that they had other central units besides the ones we see. As for the correspondence with EMMI zones, recalling that Raven Beak's plan was to take advantage of the EMMIs' presence, I assume that the central units set up the zones in order to keep the EMMIs contained.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Central units are, in my opinion, just a Chozo thing. Mother Brain was a Chozo biocomputer, and the central units are biocomputers of a similar type. ZDR is a Chozo colony so they use central units. In terms of "lore" it seems safe to assume that they had other central units besides the ones we see. As for the correspondence with EMMI zones, recalling that Raven Beak's plan was to take advantage of the EMMIs' presence, I assume that the central units set up the zones in order to keep the EMMIs contained.

Metroid Prime 3 had the Aurora Units too which are Mother Brain-like supercomputers developed by the federation

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

a "Mother Brain" seemed to be some kind of popular fictional construct in the 80s, it's the big bad guy in the Gradius series and in Section Z too. i think at some point, people just thought that was how big computers would work and it got woven into the metroid lore. it does sort of deflate her as an ending boss that it seems to basically just be a chozo personal computer.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

So the first Metroid is just about shutting down a computer?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

beleaguered chozo IT guy sighing as the some middle manager once again calls him to say "the donuts aren't working" without even trying to stimulate the occipital lobe.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

a "Mother Brain" seemed to be some kind of popular fictional construct in the 80s, it's the big bad guy in the Gradius series and in Section Z too. i think at some point, people just thought that was how big computers would work and it got woven into the metroid lore. it does sort of deflate her as an ending boss that it seems to basically just be a chozo personal computer.

Do you think they ported Doom to mother brain.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

beleaguered chozo IT guy sighing as the some middle manager once again calls him to say "the donuts aren't working" without even trying to stimulate the occipital lobe.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

macready pouring a bottle of booze in mother brain's tank after she beats him at metroid prime 2 multiplayer

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the mother brain unit has just been hacked no matter what abandoned Chozo colony you're on!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

In my mind, Ridley is the IT guy who taught himself Basic on a Commodore and Kraid the middle manager who was around since before computers were in common use.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the mother brain unit has just been hacked no matter what abandoned Chozo colony you're on!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Uncle at Nintendo: Hey check out this new Mother Brain RGB mod

The mod:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Do you think they ported Doom to mother brain.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The mod:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The mod:

lmfao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The mod:

loving lol

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

macready pouring a bottle of booze in mother brain's tank after she beats him at metroid prime 2 multiplayer

Lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Lmao at all this

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Getting the on-call message that some dipshit pushed the MB update in prod and now red doors need bombs instead of missiles, silencing my phone and going back to bed.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tato posted:

Getting the on-call message that some dipshit pushed the MB update in prod and now red doors need bombs instead of missiles, silencing my phone and going back to bed.

Lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tato posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tato posted:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i freakin love imp zone :D

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

It doesn't deflate for me because Mother Brain was literally one of Samus' too many parents, it helped raise her before it decided to betray the Chozo and strike out on its own to try to control the galaxy through conquest, which no other brain seems to have tried

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Black August posted:

It doesn't deflate for me because Mother Brain was literally one of Samus' too many parents, it helped raise her before it decided to betray the Chozo and strike out on its own to try to control the galaxy through conquest, which no other brain seems to have tried

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Black August posted:

mother brain is samus’ major zero