Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
I'm at the ripe old age of 32 now and it makes me feel like an old lady lol

I'm the winnie the pooh meme otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

ellasmith posted:

I'm at the ripe old age of 32 now and it makes me feel like an old lady lol

I'm the winnie the pooh meme otherwise

i updated to 2560x1440, 27" and have to go to 110%

100% was bearable, but why struggle?

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
oh is it partly a function of your resolution?

maybe that sort of explains it. i got a new laptop in 2017.

i look at 100% now and i cannot figure out how i ever managed to read it. it looks like text for ants

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ellasmith posted:

i look at 100% now and i cannot figure out how i ever managed to read it. it looks like text for ants

It's a function of resolution, screen size, and viewing distance. For instance, 1920x1080 is great on a 24" monitor, but crammed into a 14" laptop screen it will look tiny. Sitting a couple feet away from the 24" monitor is workable, but to read the 14" screen properly you'd need to be closer, possibly unreasonably so.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I mainly browse SA from an iPad Mini at 100% and I see and read everything just fine. Still have razor sharp eyesight at nearly 42 years old *knocks on wood*

Except when I get on my computer, the avatars and gangtags seem so much larger, even though I know it’s just me.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I phone post exclusively, zooming in on every post to the maximum level, to observe foundational defects while I scoff at your very existence.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

My eyesight is terrible, I'm even wearing free / donated glasses that are not my prescription... My 15.6" laptop is 100% on SA, no problems reading it in dark mode at least.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
this is why i always keep a quality pair of binoculars in my fanny pack

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

COULD YOU SPEAK UP A BIT THERE?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
I just have Enrique read every post out loud to me

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

i can't read so problem solved

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have to wear reading glasses now. It sucks.

I went from wearing glasses/contacts to see anything past 10 feet for years to getting laser eye surgery and now I have to wear glasses again for anything within a few feet. It's like I've circled back around. At least I don't need them for anything else.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I have to wear reading glasses now. It sucks.

I went from wearing glasses/contacts to see anything past 10 feet for years to getting laser eye surgery and now I have to wear glasses again for anything within a few feet. It's like I've circled back around. At least I don't need them for anything else.

I've always been nearsighted, but presbyopia kicked in some time in my 40s and I had to make more and more use of reading glasses. I was wearing contacts for distance correction but had to pull out the readers for close up. Then a couple years ago I had an optometrist push multifocal contact lenses on me and it was a goddamn revelation. They function kind of like bifocal glasses except there is no line and no awareness of the correction shift, and with them my vision is back to as good as it was in my 20s, if not better. I only need reading glasses with tiny print or really dim light - for the most part I can see close up just fine again.

I highly recommend them to anyone dealing with being nearsighted and also needing reading glasses - it is an amazing quality of life difference for me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've always been nearsighted, but presbyopia kicked in some time in my 40s and I had to make more and more use of reading glasses. I was wearing contacts for distance correction but had to pull out the readers for close up. Then a couple years ago I had an optometrist push multifocal contact lenses on me and it was a goddamn revelation. They function kind of like bifocal glasses except there is no line and no awareness of the correction shift, and with them my vision is back to as good as it was in my 20s, if not better. I only need reading glasses with tiny print or really dim light - for the most part I can see close up just fine again.

I highly recommend them to anyone dealing with being nearsighted and also needing reading glasses - it is an amazing quality of life difference for me.

The weird thing is, my normal vision is 20/15. My near vision had always been perfect until I got the eye surgery. I noticed immediately that I couldn't focus on things that were really really close. Like inches from my eyes. And as the years have gone on those inches have been moving out an inch or two a year to the point I need the readers. I really hope my far vision doesn't erode, as well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Vision plan

(ella needs glasses)

Augustus Woop-Woop
Dec 14, 2003
wang
Just loving lol if you don't have the forums read to you aloud by celebrities off of Cameo

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
What? WHAAAAAT?

Type BIGGER please!

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I have to wear a VR headset and decipher what has been typed by climbing and caressing each gigantic letter one at a time with my body like some kind of erotic mountaineer

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
actually i had to switch to 90% back when they made the font bigger, because it looked too big and different so i didn't like it. hth

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

Vision plan

(ella needs glasses)

Cum Galleon
Oct 16, 2004

Your shipment has arrived.
Can all posters type in caps please

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

my eyes are dogshit i am on 110% and go way higher if i want to read SA without glasses

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

no but it's affecting my vision when I go outside. Soon all my eyes will be able to do is read a computer screen

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I had set notepad to 32 point font, then I finally capitulated and went back to wearing glasses for the first time in 25 years and suddeny I could read street signs, computer fonts and anything else more than 8 inches from my face

Now notepad is only 20 point font. It's like I have HD eyes

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I put the font size to 10% so I don't have to read anyone's posts.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

maybe you need glasses

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Put my text size to 25% after reading this thread and now most of my problems seems far away OP

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Boner M posted:

I have to wear a VR headset and decipher what has been typed by climbing and caressing each gigantic letter one at a time with my body like some kind of erotic mountaineer

This would make an interesting little mini game

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

lookin good at 100%

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

150% 4k speedrun [WORLD RECORD]

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
What's that, sonny? You'll have to speak up so the hearing aids pick up.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The weird thing is, my normal vision is 20/15. My near vision had always been perfect until I got the eye surgery. I noticed immediately that I couldn't focus on things that were really really close. Like inches from my eyes. And as the years have gone on those inches have been moving out an inch or two a year to the point I need the readers. I really hope my far vision doesn't erode, as well.

Near vision just gets hosed up when you hit a certain age; your lens hardens and the focal point inside your eye shifts to a point behind it and gets blurry. To fix your nearsightedness they shifted the focal point from the middle of the eye, to the "projector screen" at the back. And now you've gotten older.

edit: or they just botched your surgery lol

Victis fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 8, 2021

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

ellasmith posted:

don't forget this forum was designed to look good at 640x480

danjal
Jun 10, 2009

The older I get the less I care.

Horace posted:

don't forget this forum was designed to look good at 640x480

This man, flexing with his EVGA Monitor

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm on 175% lol

i've heard of zoomers but this is ridiculous!

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Lol if you browse on anything but a phone

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I read on 420% zoom lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Pimpcasso posted:

Phones are for content consumption (reading the forums) but PCs are for content creation (posting on the forums).

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Pimpcasso posted:

No one should be trying to make poverty "cool", especially giant corporations like Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

maybe you need glasses

A heads-up to all goons to get regular eye checks. They're free at most optometrists, and can pick up eye conditions other than short/long-sightedness which it's important to know about before they degenerate,

And reading glasses cost like :10bux: at pharmacists.