Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

One of the worst modern defenses in history, the 2015 New Orleans Saints, gave up 6.6 y/p over the entire season.

Through 5 games the Chiefs are giving up 7.1 y/p.

https://twitter.com/PaulHembo/status/1447538704009121797

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Young phenom QB steps in front of a raucous home crowd and wins a Super Bowl in his second year as starter
Loses the Super Bowl to Brady the next year
The year after is 2-3 by October 11 with key injuries piling up

And the Seahawks haven't seriously threatened since

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

shirts and skins posted:

Young phenom QB steps in front of a raucous home crowd and wins a Super Bowl in his second year as starter

I only read the first sentence

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Taking an amateur glance at this box score and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Chiefs could probably use a rusher that isn't Mahomes

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Chucktesla posted:

I only read the first sentence

Hold on got a couple more

Increasingly top heavy roster that isn't replacing depth
Frank Clark
Trouble attacking a cover-2

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

shirts and skins posted:

Hold on got a couple more

Increasingly top heavy roster that isn't replacing depth
Frank Clark
Trouble attacking a cover-2

First point isn't the case yet, I don't think any team is going to have Frank Clark for much longer and Herbert has been very good against cover 2 so far

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Chiefs offense will probably get better by virtue of not trying to make CEH a thing moving forward. They really need Josh Gordon to be a reliable target moving forward though. The defense is downright unfixable.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1447362018093191170?t=TCAhC46VcdJ45vE9-52UKQ&s=19

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Broncos are rear end but I'm an rear end man so maybe this is good

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Broncos are rear end but I'm an rear end man so maybe this is good

dolphins are poo poo but i'm a

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ehud posted:

dolphins are poo poo but i'm a

we don't judge here

Highline
Mar 28, 2009
Did Juan Thornhill bang Spags wife or something?

Dan Sorenson isn't just the worst player on an extremely bad defense he's probably one of the worst players I've ever seen. He's certainly not the cause of their tire fire of a defense but he drat sure isn't helping.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

shirts and skins posted:

I was going to question this part but I really thought they'd been to the conference championship more than they have been.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I was going to question this part but I really thought they'd been to the conference championship more than they have been.

Just shows how hard it really is to even get to a SB. And harder now theres more playoff teams and one fewer bye seed per conf

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Bye week never did Baltimore any favors anyway.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Highline posted:

Dan Sorenson isn't just the worst player on an extremely bad defense he's probably one of the worst players I've ever seen. He's certainly not the cause of their tire fire of a defense but he drat sure isn't helping.

I saw earlier this morning that he played every single defensive snap last night which is amazing.

The defense certainly wouldn't spontaneously become good if we sat him, but maybe someone would occasionally be covered deep. Just once in a while. I hate to defend the guy at all but honestly he's being used wrong. Bring him in and let him blitz now and then or use him as a linebacker in dime packages or whatever, he can kinda do that. He cannot, absolutely cannot do what they are asking him to do. He couldn't have done it as a rookie and he really obviously can't do it now.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Bye week never did Baltimore any favors anyway.

We only ever got it twice and both times we lost primarily from boneheaded playcalling. Our defense kicked the poo poo out of the Colts in 2006

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I think the Browns are still a good football team and will continue to be a good football team this season. I also think this season ends with 10 or 11 wins because our schedule is brutal, not because we got worse from last year.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Woozie66 posted:

I think the Browns are still a good football team and will continue to be a good football team this season. I also think this season ends with 10 or 11 wins because our schedule is brutal, not because we got worse from last year.

Browns are extremely good. That RB combo will give any team fits. And dont forget they are missing Jarvis Landry at the moment.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/BaltimoreEra/status/1447389087913086981?t=hEnJF5o6VxlSz0DOQQyPCA&s=19

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

It's like rayeeaiiine in your football game
A two minute drive three minutes too late
It's like goon advice: Call a fourth down fake
Wait the Bengals just lost? It figures

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
It's like one of ToasterBeef's comics coming to life lol

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
lol

https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD/status/1447584829491535877?s=20

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1447597045137690630?t=fHhyFletB0z1DZjkQ9eKuA&s=19

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
It's funny because if you go back three or fours years the idea that the Bills and the Cardinals could conceivably become the best teams in the NFL would've seemed the height of absurdity. Just absolute crack-smoking foolishness.

That's one of the reasons I love the NFL, the variance is fantastic and a few decent years drafting and getting the right people in the building can take an abject loser of a team and make a champion of them. I'm not coronating either one yet, it's a long season and there are plenty of other good teams. So much depends on consistent health of your best players as well. But it's just really cool to see franchises turn things around so dramatically.

You gotta blame the coaching staff as well, even mostly blame them. Sorensen can't do what they're asking him to do and they need to adjust. In fact almost no one can do what they are asking him to do because they are asking too much. Their man coverage one high safety (or even no high safety) with all the defenders right on the line of scrimmage is just not working right now, they aren't getting pressure and they can't cover long enough. Especially against a downfield passing team like the Bills.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

In fact almost no one can do what they are asking him to do because they are asking too much. Their man coverage one high safety (or even no high safety) with all the defenders right on the line of scrimmage is just not working right now, they aren't getting pressure and they can't cover long enough. Especially against a downfield passing team like the Bills.

A big part of it is damned if you do and damned if you don't. There's no reliable talent on the DL with Chris Jones out (Frank Clark was a thing once, now he sets the edge on running plays occasionally), when Chris Jones is in they're playing him at DE where he does a middling job instead of being second to Aaron Donald as a DT or at least top 5 in the league. The linebackers are universally bad and I'm unironically down to hoping Willie Gay is the key there when he gets his feet under him. I think the secondary other than Sorensen is the 'strength' of this defense but yeah, like you said, can't cover forever and if the only way you're going to generate any pressure is by bringing the house that will open up holes even if you bench the terrible safety.

It's a coaching/talent/everything situation. If they're able to salvage this I guess I'll be pretty impressed.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

One of the worst modern defenses in history, the 2015 New Orleans Saints, gave up 6.6 y/p over the entire season.

Through 5 games the Chiefs are giving up 7.1 y/p.

pat thought he left texas tech, turns out it just took a few years for texas tech to catch up with him

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Love to have smart coaches. Biggest difference was that the Chargers converted all of their attempts...and the Browns did not.

https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1447598325981614082?t=jmMEfWbzhx-q6Owva5yKPQ&s=19

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Highline posted:

Did Juan Thornhill bang Spags wife or something?

You can't just replace the all time greatest in being a dirty player and absolutely repugnant chud piece of poo poo ever since he stepped on the field. That kind of talent is something you need on the field at all times and especially as your cover 1 single high safety scheme.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Uh oh

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1447608674315378693

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Go bills

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well in non-Chiefs maddening things I saw yesterday on that Jags 4th down play

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status/1447582897402261506

I mean, obviously the right choice to go for it so that's not news and the article isn't interesting. But watching it live I wondered how much Trevor has the right to audible, because that looked like a surefire tap the center on the rear end and sneak it quick play before the linebacker ran up to the line of scrimmage.

e: I know there's a kerfuffle about Lawrence not being comfortable sneaking the ball according to Urban and then Trevor going 'nah, I'm perfectly fine doing that I've done it a lot.' Wondering if maybe he didn't have the choice to go ahead and do it on his own is where I'm going here.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 11, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grittybeard posted:

e: I know there's a kerfuffle about Lawrence not being comfortable sneaking the ball according to Urban and then Trevor going 'nah, I'm perfectly fine doing that I've done it a lot.' Wondering if maybe he didn't have the choice to go ahead and do it on his own is where I'm going here.

It's literally the least complicated football play there is and something that I'm sure Lawrence has done plenty of times. It's a bizarre thing for Urban to say; pretty sure he is just trying to cover his own rear end for being an idiot.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Well in non-Chiefs maddening things I saw yesterday on that Jags 4th down play

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status/1447582897402261506

I mean, obviously the right choice to go for it so that's not news and the article isn't interesting. But watching it live I wondered how much Trevor has the right to audible, because that looked like a surefire tap the center on the rear end and sneak it quick play before the linebacker ran up to the line of scrimmage.

they really need a GWC over average stat because going for it on 4th and inches from the goal isn't a genius decision it's just average. would you go for it? i would. see?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Look at the teams they beat before getting bounced in divisionals Seahawks haven't beat anybody good in the playoffs since A A Ron and the Packers on the last Super Bowl run. It's why I'm not impressed when people say Pete has got us to the playoffs all the time yeah but they can barely beat a McCown to do it.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

FUCKFACE MORON posted:

It's like one of ToasterBeef's comics coming to life lol

"are you loving kidding me guy" is one of those universal feelings, you just know it when you see it

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Gruden fired

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

D-LINK posted:

Gruden fired

LMAO, everyone got hung up on the racist emails, they missed the homophobic emails

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

D-LINK posted:

Gruden fired

Holy poo poo

Urban Meyer is probably the most shocked dude in the league hearing this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins