Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Isn’t Seattle’s punter the AFL or rugby guy or whatever?

Seattle's punter had what might have been the single greatest bowl game performance I've ever seen, punter or any other position.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/28/16824930/texas-punter-michael-dickson-texas-bowl-latfp

I went from 'just keep going, we're getting stops and everything is fine. We'll flip the field eventually' all the way down to just laughing wondering what Dickson would do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

The Browns really lost when they got the ball back up 1 and immediately played coward ball by running the ball on 3rd&10. They then followed that up with a lovely punt, just to make things even sadder.

That last drive was really terrible design and decision-making too. Absolutely baffling.

The only good thing they did after the missed extra point was shoving Ekeler into the end zone.

To be fair it was a pretty good thing to do since it was their only chance.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blind Pineapple posted:

but not as bad as that season where every PI call was reviewed for 10 minutes and still wrong 90% of the time.

The refs just going rogue against a really dumb decision by the rules committee was pretty funny.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

You know what's wrong with your team and have an easy fix of just cleaning damned house that seems likely to happen.

I also know at least most of what's wrong with my team but know that the fix is not going to come this season and know the person in charge of it will keep his job. (this is about Andy being too loyal and Spags keeping his job, I'm not far enough into my anger to think about Andy as anything other than awesome)

...but please don't test me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DariusLikewise posted:

Frank Clark getting 25 million this year for 3 tackles and no sacks. Hopefully he’s out of the league after this contract.

It's not impossible that he's in prison for a year after this season.

I mean it is impossible, he has too much money and ability to hire good lawyers and really even California doesn't give too much a crap about guns. But still he's got those charges hanging over his head.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

One of the worst modern defenses in history, the 2015 New Orleans Saints, gave up 6.6 y/p over the entire season.

Through 5 games the Chiefs are giving up 7.1 y/p.

https://twitter.com/PaulHembo/status/1447538704009121797

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Highline posted:

Dan Sorenson isn't just the worst player on an extremely bad defense he's probably one of the worst players I've ever seen. He's certainly not the cause of their tire fire of a defense but he drat sure isn't helping.

I saw earlier this morning that he played every single defensive snap last night which is amazing.

The defense certainly wouldn't spontaneously become good if we sat him, but maybe someone would occasionally be covered deep. Just once in a while. I hate to defend the guy at all but honestly he's being used wrong. Bring him in and let him blitz now and then or use him as a linebacker in dime packages or whatever, he can kinda do that. He cannot, absolutely cannot do what they are asking him to do. He couldn't have done it as a rookie and he really obviously can't do it now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

In fact almost no one can do what they are asking him to do because they are asking too much. Their man coverage one high safety (or even no high safety) with all the defenders right on the line of scrimmage is just not working right now, they aren't getting pressure and they can't cover long enough. Especially against a downfield passing team like the Bills.

A big part of it is damned if you do and damned if you don't. There's no reliable talent on the DL with Chris Jones out (Frank Clark was a thing once, now he sets the edge on running plays occasionally), when Chris Jones is in they're playing him at DE where he does a middling job instead of being second to Aaron Donald as a DT or at least top 5 in the league. The linebackers are universally bad and I'm unironically down to hoping Willie Gay is the key there when he gets his feet under him. I think the secondary other than Sorensen is the 'strength' of this defense but yeah, like you said, can't cover forever and if the only way you're going to generate any pressure is by bringing the house that will open up holes even if you bench the terrible safety.

It's a coaching/talent/everything situation. If they're able to salvage this I guess I'll be pretty impressed.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well in non-Chiefs maddening things I saw yesterday on that Jags 4th down play

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status/1447582897402261506

I mean, obviously the right choice to go for it so that's not news and the article isn't interesting. But watching it live I wondered how much Trevor has the right to audible, because that looked like a surefire tap the center on the rear end and sneak it quick play before the linebacker ran up to the line of scrimmage.

e: I know there's a kerfuffle about Lawrence not being comfortable sneaking the ball according to Urban and then Trevor going 'nah, I'm perfectly fine doing that I've done it a lot.' Wondering if maybe he didn't have the choice to go ahead and do it on his own is where I'm going here.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LightReaper posted:

Feels like a good rivalry is brewing between Bills/Chiefs/Ravens atm

I've hated playing the Bills for about as long as I've had an account here. Weird scheduling stuff made it so we played each other every year there for a while.

2016, 2018 & 19 are they only years they didn't play since 2008. And the games almost always sucked one way or another and weren't fun for either of us. At least the Bills are happy this time around.