Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
2005 during the 7/7 attacks in London, was linked to a thread about a guy who slept through evacuation order, went to the roof to have a tea party with stuffed animals and tried ordering pizzas to the cordoned off area. A while after that Katrina hit and SA servers went under water. What an introduction to the forums thst was!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
hmmm, no one is saying they got introduced to the site by the 2,000 page megathreads that are like a cancer on this forum

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Schweinhund posted:

hmmm, no one is saying they got introduced to the site by the 2,000 page megathreads that are like a cancer on this forum
That's probably because they didn't really happen back then.
There's absolutely been a shift, both in terms of the existence of the megathreads which is probably linked in some way with people no longer using the indicies for finding posts, but also in that most people get to where they want from the bookmarked threads page now.

Although whether one informs the other or it's the inverse is anyone's guess.

All Good
Apr 5, 2021
my ex would laugh at “helldump” and told me about the stairs thing. so anyways, show your favorite posts to your loved ones.

illegible pie chart
Jul 2, 2007
There was a link to Latawnya, The Naughty Horse, Learns to Say “No” to Drugs thread somewhere and I had a very boring day at work.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2457332

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schweinhund posted:

it is almost like fostering giant sprawling megathreads that only contain 5-6 cliquey posters is not the way to get new blood on the forums

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I'm pretty sure my older brother showed me this site along with YTMND way back when.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

a creepy colon posted:

giant sprawling megathreads that only contain 5-6 cliquey posters

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

a creepy colon posted:

it is almost like fostering giant sprawling megathreads that only contain 5-6 cliquey posters is not the way to get new blood on the forums
Most megathreads don't contain 5-6 cliquey posters, though - the way I see it is that they're megathreads because they keep being bumped, not because they set out to be megathreads.

Maybe the solution is to have a lower number of maximum posts/pages in a thread?
Although the result of that is the risk of becoming like textboards/BBS' of the 90s, where everything was ephemeral unless individuals chose to do archiving (I was one of the few who did, and digital packratting has stayed part of my habits ever since).

To a certain extend, it also depends on the subforum - megathreads sort-of make sense for SHSC and similar niche subforums, whereas for something like GBS and other subforums of its nature, you can have a lot more use out of smaller threads - partially because there's more of the smaller kind of threads here to begin with.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 20, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The stumbleupon toolbar took me to the lparchive which led to here

Alkaloidman
May 3, 2005
This cocaine makes me feel like i'm on this thread
Linked off of fark, ended up reading a thread on a home made flamethrower and havent left since

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alkaloidman posted:

Linked off of fark, ended up reading a thread on a home made flamethrower and havent left since

Fark u bitch

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Maybe the solution is to have a lower number of maximum posts/pages in a thread?
Although the result of that is the risk of becoming like textboards/BBS' of the 90s, where everything was ephemeral unless individuals chose to do archiving (I was one of the few who did, and digital packratting has stayed part of my habits ever since).

I’m not a big fan of that idea - the current defaults feel comfortable, and I feel like they’re really part of the structure of the community.

What about an option to select a date range within a thread, as well as jumping to a particular page? I poked my head into the game development megathread last night, starting with page 1, and that was all the way back in 2007. That’s cool, it’s part of the appeal of this place to have so much history around, but obviously a LOT has changed since then.

If I knew when a particular framework/game/piece of media released, it would be cool to jump to that date and read people’s immediate impressions, then move forward from there. I often find myself jumping around pages in game megathreads trying to approximate that, to get an understanding of how patches changed things, etc.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Nap Ghost

Edward Mass posted:

Photoshop Phridays linked from the g4tv.com forums.

Remember that time Doc Evil went on techtv and "pretended" to be awkward?

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Remember that time Doc Evil went on techtv and "pretended" to be awkward?

yeah i remember it being funny

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Nap Ghost

a creepy colon posted:

yeah i remember it being funny

me too. Saw it during my lurker years working at radioshack

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

istewart posted:

I’m not a big fan of that idea - the current defaults feel comfortable, and I feel like they’re really part of the structure of the community.

What about an option to select a date range within a thread, as well as jumping to a particular page? I poked my head into the game development megathread last night, starting with page 1, and that was all the way back in 2007. That’s cool, it’s part of the appeal of this place to have so much history around, but obviously a LOT has changed since then.

If I knew when a particular framework/game/piece of media released, it would be cool to jump to that date and read people’s immediate impressions, then move forward from there. I often find myself jumping around pages in game megathreads trying to approximate that, to get an understanding of how patches changed things, etc.
I'm not particularly a big fan of it either, I was just spit-balling.

Perhaps it could be part of the pagination redo, which I know is planned for some time in the future - it might be possible to attach a timestamp to the alt-text of the pagination link for each page.

I think that's the sort of thing that you could post a thread about in the technical support forum, but I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't reach the top of the TODO list even if it's a very good idea.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Another one from the off-topic section of the counter-strike.net forums.

Who remembers posting in b@x?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

My brother would show me the Photoshop Phridays on the main page back in like... 2000. Took me years to learn there was even a forums, and years more to make an account after the paywall went up for some length of time.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
It was Weekend Web and Fashion Swat for me but I didn't really start reading or lurking on the forums until the goon who got his kids removed by CPS thread.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Fashionable Jorts posted:

My brother would show me the Photoshop Phridays on the main page back in like... 2000. Took me years to learn there was even a forums, and years more to make an account after the paywall went up for some length of time.

Same, except I signed up for an account to post a lovely All Your Base photoshop. I think it was actually an off-handed comment in one of the front page articles about goons posting terrible things in the forums that led me to actually read them and want to join in.
The other draw card was GBS's ban-happy stance on people making posts like "first post lol asl". And honestly, it's been nice to see that evolve over the years as we've all grown older into more nuanced rules designed to foster an inclusive, tolerant and fun community.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Crazy Achmed posted:

Same, except I signed up for an account to post a lovely All Your Base photoshop. I think it was actually an off-handed comment in one of the front page articles about goons posting terrible things in the forums that led me to actually read them and want to join in.
The other draw card was GBS's ban-happy stance on people making posts like "first post lol asl". And honestly, it's been nice to see that evolve over the years as we've all grown older into more nuanced rules designed to foster an inclusive, tolerant and fun community.

Agreed. SA is the only online place I've stuck around with for a significant time. I don't know how many other forums, facebook groups, slack and discord channels, and whet ever else I'll get tired of and never return to.

I know goons love to self-deprecate, but this website is probably the best online community out there. Intolerance (even from moderators) gets slapped down pretty hard, but there's still room for good shitposting.

I think what made me finally join was a thread of "share terrible work stories" that I was constantly reading, and the paywall went up so I couldn't get to it anymore. Had to buy a prepaid mastercard gift card because I didn't have my own credit card at the time lol

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

I found Cliff Yablonski first - not sure how.

Maybe Fark?

duffman91
Jul 14, 2001
I made my way here from the Quake3World forums and associated Quake communities. I was taking college classes at the time and lurked for a while before creating an account.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
My high school freshmen computer classmates showed me sometime back in 1999 or 2001. This site's been one of a few constants in my life since then.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Pretty sure it was late 00s LPs that did it for me. I remember joining, not contributing, and then basically just sitting on my account for a few years before actually becoming active here.

edify
Sep 14, 2014
I posted on totse sporadically from 2002 until it closed in 2009 and this site was often mentioned there. There might've even been a forum war or something equally as dumb as totse had that totse army thing. When totse shut down I thought about joining here but baulked at the paywall. When the totse spinoff sites themselves started to either shut down or devolve into interpersonal hate campaigns and moderation politics I eventually signed up here.

Forgot about this place for a long time too in favour of reddit, but recently I heard the news about Lowtax and that somehow dredged up a feeling of nostalgia for the more familiar, people focused atmosphere of traditional forums compared to the anonymous, upvote grifting meta of reddit.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

edify posted:

I posted on totse sporadically from 2002 until it closed in 2009 and this site was often mentioned there. There might've even been a forum war or something equally as dumb as totse had that totse army thing. When totse shut down I thought about joining here but baulked at the paywall. When the totse spinoff sites themselves started to either shut down or devolve into interpersonal hate campaigns and moderation politics I eventually signed up here.

Forgot about this place for a long time too in favour of reddit, but recently I heard the news about Lowtax and that somehow dredged up a feeling of nostalgia for the more familiar, people focused atmosphere of traditional forums compared to the anonymous, upvote grifting meta of reddit.

What news about Lowtax? :confused:

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

unknown butthole posted:

I'm pretty sure my older brother showed me this site along with YTMND way back when.

https://artthoubored.ytmnd.com/

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
i altavistad poo poo website for loving idiots and here i am lmao

edify
Sep 14, 2014

Outpost22 posted:

That he killed himself in November.

edify fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 2, 2022

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I found everquest, and maddox, around the same time? I was about 11 or 12 when this happened.

a maddox fan forum(?) was my first forums posting experience and they would sometimes mention y'all by name?

at the same time, I became aware of a pvp guild on Rallos/Sullon Zek EQ servers, called flowers of happiness? and i used to think the joke content they put out there was really funny?

but their forums more or less straight up cribbed all their jokes from here, and they didn't really hide that. Assuming some were goons, of that era, too.

I did nothing with it for a few years, but started lurking in 2005, and got an account as a christmas present from a friend in 2006.

Then I posted maybe 2 dozen times in 6 years, and then started shitposting virulently. Tada

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Outpost22 posted:

I can't see how this isn't a joke, but on the off-chance that it isn't, I wanna say that I'm thoroughly impressed that you can have a Screamy avatar and not know that.

Jinkeloid
Jan 6, 2024

Dweller of the
Mythical Oriental Continent
Hi, came from the State of the Forums post, I figure the sample is too low so decide to throw my two cents here as well.

I joined because I found a post regarding the video game Shenzhen I/O, it was very well written and helped me a lot, then I slowly getting more interested in the SA forum.

The concept of "pay to join" is quite novel to me, plus that I can lurk and see how the "old internet" works so I made my decision a month ago.

Didn't have enough time at hand to fully utilize the forum yet, but so far so good.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Honestly I remember posting a lot in ACMLM-style forums way before 2010 and have been since the beginning. I was friends with someone who had the internet and got me introduced to message boards in 2003 with topics like the ones found here on SA. But the issue was this was late middle school / early to late high school from 2002-2006. Flame wars were a big thing and the drama included was around in person at our high school. We were the very definition for being too online at the time during All your base, anything made by the guy who did Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny, and so on. I hated the posting experience until I discovered SA from a Youtube video.

That video was a DeceasedCrab video.

His let's plays made me discover more of this site and I moved on from the forums I frequented at and learned a lot from goons. Met some awesome people and have connections with my favorite topics. What more can you want.

Let's play is a cool forum but I was never big into it. Sorry. La-Mulana owned though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jinkeloid posted:

Hi, came from the State of the Forums post, I figure the sample is too low so decide to throw my two cents here as well.

I joined because I found a post regarding the video game Shenzhen I/O, it was very well written and helped me a lot, then I slowly getting more interested in the SA forum.

The concept of "pay to join" is quite novel to me, plus that I can lurk and see how the "old internet" works so I made my decision a month ago.

Didn't have enough time at hand to fully utilize the forum yet, but so far so good.
Wow I had never seen that thread and I love Shenzhen I/O. Thanks for the link, and welcome!

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

tldr; joined in 2022 after leaving another forum and getting sa recommended by a friend.

I joined quite recently (relatively). I always vaguely knew about SA, with it seeping into internet culture and I've for sure visited the photoshop pages and the 9/11 thread.

I was in forums all my life but SA had this inscrutable and 4chan/toxic-like quality in my head. After I got banned from another forum (ResetEra, which I did nothing but complain about), my IRC friend (yes this is all in 2022) suggested SA and it clicked. I feel like it's a good thing I joined now and not when I was 14 or whatever.

Jinkeloid
Jan 6, 2024

Dweller of the
Mythical Oriental Continent

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Wow I had never seen that thread and I love Shenzhen I/O. Thanks for the link, and welcome!

Thank you!

I find the post super relative because only months after I read the post, I came to Shenzhen and is residing here ever since lol, although not working with assembly language but still count as a programmer.

Such a shame that now the post is locked and I only managed to send a private message to the OP of the post.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Management posted:

It was linked on old man murray, back when they were still posting things. I believe it linked to an article about why jedis are gay.

This was around 1999. I read almost every front page article on the site in the following few weeks. At one point lowrax was saying the site was shutting down so I crawled the site and made a backup so I could keep reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

theres so many permabanned posts itt lol. could one day b me...