Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
I can’t remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I was looking for happypuppy.com and put it mispelled in the search bar and found a parody article

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

i feel like i heard it mentioned on newgrounds

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Pppppppppppoowerbook article

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Someone linked to it in the Ars forum.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I looked into the bowl after a massive bout of diorreah and there it was, giving a jaunty handwave.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Where I heard of it? The Let’s Play scene circa 2011.

What convinced me to register? Someone mentioning the comic strip thread in discord a couple years ago.

baja gaijin
Jan 30, 2024

my husband started reading me posts from GBS in bed and I decided to get my own account

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
i've probably posted in this thread already considering it's 3 years old but my username didn't come up in thread search so

back when i was in grade 8 or 9 (2001ish) i was ping-ponging back and forth between fark and worth1000 photoshop contests, and through osmosis found out about photoshop phriday. it took me a couple years to convince my dad to lend me his credit card to sign up for the forums though, hence the 03 reg date. worst mistake of my life.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

baja gaijin posted:

my husband started reading me posts from GBS in bed and I decided to get my own account

:hmmyes:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I also searched for myself in this thread because I swear I've posted here before telling the tale.

But I was in my last semester of college (winter/spring '03) and someone on another board posted a link to a thread entitled "my mother is insane".
It was pics of the goon's hoarder mother's house with piles of poo poo everywhere and I looked at it and thought it was hilarious. I wanted to join but I did'nt have acredit card and wouldn't for a few years so I would lurk from time to time reading stuff and wishing I could be a goon.

I got my first credit card in about July of '07 and literally the first thing I did with it was pay 10 bucks for an account. I got banned (regular, not perma) after about 4 years (2011?) for something and when I tried to unban myself the payment processor wouldn't take my money. I tried for years, tried emailing admins and whatnot no response.
I kept trying periodically for the next several years until I tried it on whatever my current reg date is and thats when it worked again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure it was one of the early 2010s iterations of the political cartoon and/or newspaper comic threads. I lurked and read those (esp. the political cartoon one) for quite a while during the Obama era, but I eventually got sick of the paywall coming up so I just bought an account. The original idea was 'use account to read threads; never post', but you can see how well that ended up working out.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I found it from the Penny Arcade forums. I have no idea if my old account there is even usable anymore.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

baja gaijin posted:

'Sweet nothings' have certainly changed from my day.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Learned about it from Reddit when the whole 3rd party API fiasco happened.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Sometime in the early 2000s my friends showed me the forums and I have been here ever since.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

A dude I was playing City of Heroes with kept complaining about "goons" and then we bought accounts in order to be "goons" too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This thread somehow has a permabanned poster on every single page, except this one (so far)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

One of my friends handed me a printout of some ROM-pit articles in like 2001.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

deep dish peat moss posted:

This thread somehow has a permabanned poster on every single page, except this one (so far)

be the change you want to see in the world.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Nap Ghost
Real Talk: I found it on the internet

Nice! I got the 420 post

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Sometime around 2000. A friend mentioned it. I didn't visit until 2003 because the same guy recommended rotten.com and I just assumed this place would be equally horrible.

baja gaijin
Jan 30, 2024

The Bible posted:

Sometime around 2000. A friend mentioned it. I didn't visit until 2003 because the same guy recommended rotten.com and I just assumed this place would be equally horrible.

speaking of rotten I indirectly met my husband because of jerkcity lmao

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Nap Ghost

baja gaijin posted:

speaking of rotten I indirectly met my husband because of jerkcity lmao

I am old school, what is jerkcity?
Us old people used to put .com about it

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
Found a front page article in 2001 or so but didn't join the forums until way later.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Nap Ghost
Oh wait. I remember. That was FYAD

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Boatmurdered and mentions of goon swarm in Eve Online lead me here and then I started reading game threads.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am old school, what is jerkcity?
Us old people used to put .com about it

jerk city is now called bone quest

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i found SA because a few people who hung out in an irc channel for a half-life mod i used to be a groupie for kept showing me stuff from here and eventually one of them bought me an account

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Nap Ghost
I am pretty sure I saw the front page between 2002 or 2003, but I wasn't interested in posting on the internet then. I used to have friends and things to do

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

cumpantry posted:

theres so many permabanned posts itt lol. could one day b me...

I was reading the thread to see why it got bumped and that's the first thing that hit me.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Nap Ghost

Darth Brooks posted:

I was reading the thread to see why it got bumped and that's the first thing that hit me.

Yeah, I also miss permabanned posters

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Previa_fun showed it to me when we were much too young for this sort of thing, back in like '99?? Then eventually one of us got a debit card and we became Real Goons

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

with my fcomputer

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

computer

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Someone on another forum I was on at the time posted a link to the 9/11 reaction/discussion thread in the aftermath of the attacks.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

Someone on another forum I was on at the time posted a link to the 9/11 reaction/discussion thread in the aftermath of the attacks.

and then 12 years later you joined?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

and then 12 years later you joined?

I took the phrase "lurk more" to heart :haw:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted: