Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I played this mod a bit - it was silly but not as silly as Battle Grounds.

yeah I played that one a bit too

ah the good ol' days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

And when I was like 13 I posted on a dumb sprite comic forum and somethingawful was the cool forum that people left to when they grew up

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.
I used to read the front page; poo poo was pretty funny.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Cliff Yablonski brought me here and now I can never leave

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I too was lurking DA during my highschool years

haha yeah i was just lurking...

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

There were only about 20 websites on the internet back in the late 90s so everyone knew about it. I read it on the library computers in high school and eventually made an account when it was free (I think?).

I should've kept posting on my old account. At one point when I had gone a couple years without logging in to the forums I gave it away to a friend, who for some reason really wanted the old reg date and they paid to change the name. They used it for less than a year, got bored and gave the account back, but now it has a name I don't identify with so I bought this new account with a more appropriate name.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Knew some goons from another forum I frequented and lurked here since 2002. It took another 8 years before I finally joined.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Your mother told me about it when we went on a date once it was nice

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Ex sent me a link to an article. Started reading the goldmine and photoshop phriday. I kept the site secret from my friends so I could lord it over them. Didn't start reading the forums till 2004 or so.

Many otherwise dull days were improved by reading all the stuff goons wrote. :)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I was looking up funny masturbation stories.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

googling poo poo while high or drunk initially from vague memory, read and lurked for awhile and eventually (shamefully recently) decided to :justpost:

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Stoner Sloth posted:

googling poo poo while high or drunk initially from vague memory, read and lurked for awhile and eventually (shamefully recently) decided to :justpost:

:justpost:

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I created the very popular videogame "Dang Ronpa" and wanted to read the posts of all the nice goons made about it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Back in like 1999 or early 2000 when I was still in high school, someone on the zsnes forums that I frequented posted a link to a front page article about buying lingerie for your girlfriend and it made me laugh my rear end off. Then I saw the link for the forums and I made an account.

It was such a long time ago that it predated the games forum.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I started reading LPs but I have no idea how I heard of the site. I had a college roommate who was a member years before I first came to the site but I've been peripherally aware of it since like All Your Base was the height of internet culture.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it was maybe early 2000s, if not 2000 itself. When JeffK and Cliff Yablonski was fresh content.

I think I made a forums account then, but didn't post and forgot it. Made another one in 2006 but it got permatoxxed in 2016 when Hillary lost.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

sb hermit posted:

it was maybe early 2000s, if not 2000 itself. When JeffK and Cliff Yablonski was fresh content.

I think I made a forums account then, but didn't post and forgot it. Made another one in 2006 but it got permatoxxed in 2016 when Hillary lost.

yeah like, Lowtax was running PQ and Fragmaster was running PHL and they had this fake feud going, then Lowtax got all huffy with GameSpy (as he was won't to do with anything) and started his own website and I mosied over because Fragmaster posted a link.

The first thing I saw was JeffK and that was cutting-edge poo poo in 1999. JeffK's Video Game Developer Survivor has not aged well, but if you were way in on PC gaming 20-22 years ago, is still very funny.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
in 1999 (possibly 1998) Lowtax wrote an article for voodooextreme.com that was hysterical, IIRC something about wearing sponsor patches on your Everquest avatar. Something Awful may have just opened as a website. The forums were still in their nascency, everyone was a Ninja Of Bermuda

Its really hard to express what a ride its been. These dumb forums have to be up there with driving and masturbating with how much of my life its consumed. The awful humor has permeated me.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Somebody had a rear windshield sticker with the grenade on it in c. 2002 when I was college.

P sure I began actually lurking tho when someone linked Stories from Rent to Own.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Pretty sure I got linked here from either PQ or Stileproject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcdWlPz5ixk

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
looking for a copy of photoshop

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Started coming here in in the early 00s in middleschool for photoshop phridays. As I caught up there I started reading the other front page content and eventually started messing with the forums. I was done with high school and in college by the time I bought the account tho. I dunno somehow I keep forgetting this place exists and coming back to it, my account activity will verify this as after posting a lil after registering I was inactive for probably 9 or 10 years. The fact remains this place was formative to me and I remembered I had a account and I came back.

Percy Teatwillow
Jan 9, 2006

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young
i’m pretty sure i joined something awful because of a few prominent posters on an Invader Zim message board if that tells you anything at all

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
was a minor and googled "what forum am i most likely to get molestered by a moderator?"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I found it to be true to the name

PsionicAnt
Jul 16, 2001

Nooner posted:

was a minor and googled "what forum am i most likely to get molestered by a moderator?"

Lmao

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
i posted on asmb (adult swim forum) and got raided by goons back in 2006. kept getting banned there so figured id rather come here and keep getting banned but have to pay for it.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Back in my day, we had to use Altavista to find out what car our vaginas would be.

(Honestly don't remember how I found out about this place; maybe someone linked the All Your Base meme thread from Nintendorks or something.)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
It was linked on old man murray, back when they were still posting things. I believe it linked to an article about why jedis are gay.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I got way too into Neverwinter Nights and was linked to too many front page articles.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
Yahoo home page recommendation under 'humour', like that makes any goddamn sense.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I clicked a link on the Old Man Murray site.

drat, I'm old.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
I moved to the NYC area a week before 9/11, and my stuff was still on a truck on the day of 9/11. I had driven my PC with me during the move and somehow had dial-up access, so that was my only window into what was happening. I was reading Fark at the time, and there were a lot of references to SA forums as a good source of real-time information. I :10bux: an account and goddamn the forums then we're somehow ahead of the TV broadcasts, it was amazing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Truth Reviews, I think. I remember being on some forum and being aghast at how many people they're lacked the basic level of intuition and reading comprehension to tell that it was a joke.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Found some old Lord of the Rings themed photoshop phriday on a Lord of the Rings focused website. Would have been probably 2002 or 2003. I'm unable to find it now though. I only found some Lord of the Rings "on the road" car themed photoshops, but that wasn't it. The one I remember had one with Gandalf with the McDonald's sign behind him. Maybe it was not LOTR themed specifically but just included some LOTR photoshops.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Chinatown posted:

some kids in the library computer room in middle school showed me this site right before 9/11 =]

Same but highschool. Didn't register until college though.

I think he was showing me hatten.swf which he said he found here.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 9, 2021

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
a friend sent me a link to a photoshop phriday via AIM. started going through the front page content in computer classes in HS, eventually noticed the forums link and lurked for 3 years before buying an account

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Back when Newgrounds was the popular place to watch internet cartoons and play hentai games there was this group of people called the Blam Club who made it their mission to downvote brigade lovely uploads (if something had X score before receiving Y votes it would be deleted). I joined their club and in their forums a few members would usually post SA links to Weekend Web or Photoshop Phriday and here I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
From Portal of Evil which led to Cliff Yablonski.