Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I got linked to P-P-P-Powerbook!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Honda Fit because that's all that would at this point

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
All Your Base, Neil Cicierega's and Shmorky's stuff on AlbinoBlackSheep and Newgrounds being linked to on GameFAQs constantly. I needed to get the memes hot and fresh and they were being posted a hell of a lot in golden age BYOB.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
The GameFAQs forums were down for maintenance and the placeholder page linked to Bin Laden’s Mountain Fortress. I then proceeded to lurk for years because I was a teenager with no credit card.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
There was like 12 websites back then, literally everybody on the internet knew each other.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I bought an account 'cos I heard there was a good warez forum on here.

Then I found out Lowtax had shut it down a while before I signed up lol.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Let's Plays

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Web ring from stile project.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
They got mentioned in WIRED magazine back in 2000 or so.

"Hey kids, can't get enough of CATS from Zero Wing? Join SomethingAwful.com"

PS: Post more CATS

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Friend introduced me to SA in high school. I’ve been around since 2000 and this is my 3rd or 4th account. Always self banned and took a year or two off, then started over.

It’s all thanks to my 1999 Vagina car.

Nuclear Pizza
Feb 25, 2006
Somebody on another forum posted a link to "The Five Biggest Jerks in Gaming" frontpage article. Then I started reading Comedy Goldmine articles and got hooked.

Couple of years later at university I started reading a bunch of alternate reality games that were popular on the forums at the time and ended up buying an account.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

They got mentioned in WIRED magazine back in 2000 or so.

"Hey kids, can't get enough of CATS from Zero Wing? Join SomethingAwful.com"

PS: Post more CATS

I seem to remember that meme being around before SA. I distinctly recall one of my nerd friends showing it to me in a class we had which would've been around 1997.

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.
Image macros that had the blue grenade in the corner, and the odd photoshopfriday passed my way, back when i still used 56k.

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I started lurking around the start of High School back in like 2011-12-ish through discovering it through the Let's Play Archive
The Let's Play Archive I had discovered a bit prior through TV Tropes
And TV Tropes I had discovered back in 2010 in Middle School when I was listening to songs from the Earthworm Jim 2 soundtrack on repeat on Youtube

unrelated (or I guess tangentially related given that SA led me to discovering tumblr through homestuck liveblogs) but spending your high school years on Tumblr and 4chan at the same time is a helluva experience

this post is funny to me because it happened the other way pretty much for me. Like I was on tumblr and then when danganronpa started being big there everyone was following threads on here about it so that would be my first exposure. And then I had no money or credit card of my own because I was a teen (which is practically a fetus tbh) so I didn't actually decide to buy an account until later when i had some poo poo to spare.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i was extremely online in high school and started lurking in like 2005 when there were tons of ongoing (fake) story threads. some other forum i posted on linked here, zero memory of which one.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I look before i flush

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My friend asked me if I could print out some ROM-pit reviews and bring them to school. Pretty sure Monster Party was one of them. I just read the front page for years until I checked the forums. Very my speed as a middle schooler.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I only ever heard of this place because of the parody Maddox did

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Second life safari

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
originally i was posting on a forum about Chi cultivation for the purposes of becoming an anime dragonball Z character (Rutibex is my Saiyajin name, it means rutabaga).

one day someone linked to a funny post on the SA forums and i started reading that as well, and eventually made an account (accounts were free back then, but the registration was only open at random times to try and make bans meaningful)

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Seanbaby linked a front page article at some point in 2001 and I registered an account pretty soon after that. Also my vagina is an Aventador SV

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Found out about it in 2020 or late 2019 from a twitter thread and you all seemed pretty funny! No idea who lowtax was until that thread :kstare:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Way back in 2000 or 2001, I remember seeing a photoshop of some kind with the SA watermark and Kid soup! went researching and found this little corner of the internet

his life was shattered from that day on

Also Cliff Yablonski lol

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Got linked poo poo constantly from a friend, decided to just skip the middleman and join.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
a goon hit me up on an offsite forum and was like "the A/T and topical threads alone are worth the paywall." He was not wrong. The highly variable shitpost quality is a bonus

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I saw some kids browsing the forums during a class in high school and it was edgy enough to a 17 year old. I registered a few months later and haven't looked back.

Robot Made of Meat
Oct 16, 2015

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I have absolutely no idea. I turned on the internet, and, whoops, here it was.

I think I came for the articles, though. I read the front page, the "pranks", and various other things long before I came to the forum. Probably someone linked one of them somewhere and I saw it.

Pretty much this. It was no doubt a link on another site I used to read and which is now long gone. I read the Front Page for many years before lurking on the forums for a few years. One day there was a post in GBS that said people should buy accounts, so I did.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I saw some people on 4chan complaining about goons making fun of them so I ended up here. A blessing

I lurked for like five years and then reg'd. Unclear why

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
DeceasedCrab Let's Plays

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
It was a really long time ago and I don't remember, but I remember looking at the front page in like 2000

The Last Creed Fan
Aug 1, 2016
I'm pretty sure I found SA when it was mentioned on smartania.com, around 2004/2005. All I remember about Smartania was that I was there for the reviews mocking bad fanfic.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
It was under a fallen log in the woods behind my house

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I don’t remember, like at all.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
A buddy from college and I were catching up and talking about how covid hosed up a bunch of people and spots in our hometown. He mentions this website and I remember hearing references to it back in the day from him. Lockdown has been boring so I checked it out and here I am.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Someone on another forum sent me links to cliff yablonski

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

the planethalflife planetquake turf war

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I found this place either through some character who went by Jeff, I think, who would talk about being a Lunix haxxor... or through Photoshop Friday stuff.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Linked to a Zack Parsons article.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm pretty sure I followed a link from newgrounds way, way back, came in and out a bunch, then ended up sticking around because of weekend web.

Same here, followed a link from comments on a flash animation on Newgrounds. I think the animation may have had something to do with Satan so I guess I was sent here by Satan. This was back when registration was free but it was only open during short windows so you had to have a little bit of luck, which I guess I should also attribute to Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Zil posted:

Link from the Penny Arcade forums. Not proud, but it's the truth.
:same:

In my case the link was to DPPH.