Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
The gently caress you have to put me on the spot for, I’ve never been good at dressup :negative:. If I’m reading this right, it’s possible to have all of them wear Bienfu costumes with Bienfus on their shoulders? If so, let’s go with that (at least until it gets too obnoxious).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

The gently caress you have to put me on the spot for, I’ve never been good at dressup :negative:. If I’m reading this right, it’s possible to have all of them wear Bienfu costumes with Bienfus on their shoulders? If so, let’s go with that (at least until it gets too obnoxious).

That can certainly be arranged... But due to the, uh, rather in-your-face nature of the Bienfu costumes, we'll finish Vortigern and make it to Loegres before switching. That work for you?

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Sylphid posted:

That can certainly be arranged... But due to the, uh, rather in-your-face nature of the Bienfu costumes, we'll finish Vortigern and make it to Loegres before switching. That work for you?

Look man, I fully think that choice is appropriate for exactly one update and no more :v:.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Look man, I fully think that choice is appropriate for exactly one update and no more :v:.

Just to be clear, the distance from Vortigern to Loegres in-game is pretty small, as I remember. So like, one and a half updates for Bienfu Crew.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Huh, Eizen makes that samurai garb look good... and that's saying something considering it's about as good as the literal samurai in the party.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part V: The Fortress We Conquered

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
For the record, Falconier, everyone who could wear Bienfu stuff for me was wearing it. For some reason only Number Two has the complete set, but that's our lot this time. Before I record the next bit of the game, I'll choose someone for new costumes. Can't wear out the novelty.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
You can just hold down the break soul button when playing Eizen and he'll immediately teleport to whatever enemy gets stunned or downed. I think you can also cancel out of the animation pretty early.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VI: The Savior We Saw

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
I suspect that the Danaan reference might be to the Tuatha de Danaan of Irish mythology rather than the Homeric term for the Greeks. But maybe not.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

Ah, the act like a dove scene. It wasn't pictured, but after having to do her part, Velvet starts blushing and facepalms out of embarassment, its great.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VII: The Jobs We Did

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 20, 2021

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VIII: The Villa We Raided

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
A bit late to reply, because I fell behind on the thread and have been catching up; Maurits (from the Maurits silk from update Part V) is a reference to the village chief of the Ferines in Tales of Legendia.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

NyoroEevee posted:

A bit late to reply, because I fell behind on the thread and have been catching up; Maurits (from the Maurits silk from update Part V) is a reference to the village chief of the Ferines in Tales of Legendia.

I KNEW that name sounded familiar. It's been a long time since I played Legendia. Now there's a Tales that should be remade at some point.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Now that I'm thinking about it (spoilers for next update), for those who played the PC version of Berseria, is it possible to jack your stats up really really far up for the first Artorius fight to actually be able to meaningfully damage him? If so, does the fight just end once you've done enough damage?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part IX: The Hero We Fought

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Artorius posted:

Still...giving your brother's name to a malak. You've strayed so far...
Gee, Artorius, I wonder why she might have some lingering issues over her younger brother; surely nothing such a find upstanding individual as yourself could be involved in :thunk:

While he probably does have reasons, so far Arty just seems like a hugely self-absorbed jackass. Which I guess is appropriate given he's the villain of at least the starting arc for the game.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

As someone who's never played any Tales games: has it ever really been explained what a malak is? Are they just generic spirit/demons that the exorcists contract with?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Karia posted:

As someone who's never played any Tales games: has it ever really been explained what a malak is? Are they just generic spirit/demons that the exorcists contract with?

They're just in this game and Zestiria. They're just a race of spirits with extraordinary powers, that enable humans to actually fight daemons. Most of them, like the enemies roaming around the Empyrean's Throne, are mindless but rarer ones like Laphicet or Eizen possess human intelligence and the aforementioned powers. It seems the Abbey goes a little further to sap the free will out of most of the intelligent ones, though.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Karia posted:

The term is derived from mal’akh (מַלְאָךְ‎) the Hebrew word for 'messenger' which is usually translated as "angel" in English.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

TheDavies posted:

The term is derived from mal’akh (מַלְאָךְ‎) the Hebrew word for 'messenger' which is usually translated as "angel" in English.

Given what they're called in Zestiria (not gonna say it here just in case it's considered a spoiler to the LP), that's actually insanely clever.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part X: The Paths We Traveled

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

And there we have it. Team Velvet is Chaotic Neutral at best, so there's our Token Good Teammate. In fairness... I do rather enjoy Eleanor as a character. Rokurou's honestly the weak link here... and even he's perfectly fine, which speaks volumes of ToB's party as a whole.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XI: The Fighter We Battled

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XII: The Sickness We Cured

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIII: The Tower We Climbed

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIV: The Truths We Found

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

Yeah playing ToZ first causes everything that goes down here to be less of an "Oh my god what's happening" and more of a "Oh..... poo poo, we hosed up" before you even get back to Haria. One of the thing the link between these games gets right.

...Sadly, Kamoana's voice is not one of those things they got right. At all.

comicfan92
Aug 30, 2018

SMaster777 posted:

Yeah playing ToZ first causes everything that goes down here to be less of an "Oh my god what's happening" and more of a "Oh..... poo poo, we hosed up" before you even get back to Haria. One of the thing the link between these games gets right.

Yeah, ToB did a good job of being structuring itself as a prequel game to ToZ. If you never played Zesteria, Berseria stands on its own (and is arguably better in some areas), but if you did play Zesteria, then you get plenty of moments in Berseria that reward a loyal player (such as the aftermath at Haria) and even some moments that re-contextualizes some things in Zesteria, though going into those will involve spoilers, so I won't talk about them for now.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XV: The Island We Claimed

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVI: The Land We Explored

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVII: The Prisoner We Met

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 1, 2022

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

Theres a small error in this one; "I do hope Kamoana isn't crying anymore..." has the wrong portrait.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

SMaster777 posted:

Theres a small error in this one; "I do hope Kamoana isn't crying anymore..." has the wrong portrait.

LPix sure is convenient but man does it make it inconvenient to change even the smallest of mistakes. Still, better caught now than going into the Archive like that.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVIII: The Place We Revisited

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Eh. Whether Laphicet went along with Arthur is largely irrelevant because he's just a kid and Arthur is his guardian. He's a bright kid, sure, but he doesn't have the majority to make an informed decision to sacrifice himself for the Greater Good or whatever crap Arthur fed him.

Then again, its not like Arthur cares about his subordinates.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIX: The Bond We Severed

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

Ah, there's the line that caused me to go "Oh.... gently caress" the first time through. Oscar's line about Armatization. Its... well, I'll let Sylphid cover it when the time is right but suffice to say, that's an absolutely enormously huge moment to a Z->B order player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

SMaster777 posted:

Ah, there's the line that caused me to go "Oh.... gently caress" the first time through. Oscar's line about Armatization. Its... well, I'll let Sylphid cover it when the time is right but suffice to say, that's an absolutely enormously huge moment to a Z->B order player.

Yeah. I don't mind you saying this now, but suffice to say armatization is a huuuuuge part of Zestiria. Like, from my understanding Zestiria actually sold better than Bersy so the vast majority of people going through this game already know what it is and why I say it's important, but again, just for thematic purposes we'll leave it at "Abbey's secret weapon" for now.