Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XX: The One We Confronted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXI: The Resolve We Showed

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXII: The Creed We Honored

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXIII: The Power We Witnessed

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The Xillia music videos are unavailable, "This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Staltran posted:

The Xillia music videos are unavailable, "This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.

At least it's better than them getting removed after this thread goes into the archive like what happened with the Xillia 2 thread. I'll relink them at some point and upload a new version of the update.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXIV: The Moment We Shared

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXV: The World We Changed

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Spell Absorber is actually more complex than that. Each spell canceled gives you points towards the next spell, stronger ones giving more, but what spell gets cast is actually on a cycle, with the first one after loading a save being Violet High... but you can actually skip spells by either getting enough points at once to go to the next one, or by dodge canceling the spell to keep the points for the next spell. If you keep doing that you can also build up enough points to use the last one (Force Detonator, or Lightning Blast if you don't have Force Detonator) multiple times in a row instead of going back to Violet High. And you can then cancel more spells to get more points to keep using Force Detonator instead of resetting. Different spells also have different points needed. There used to be a google doc explaining this better but it's apparently been deleted since, so a youtube video will have to do if someone wants to know more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnApzafRnrY

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Staltran posted:

Spell Absorber is actually more complex than that. Each spell canceled gives you points towards the next spell, stronger ones giving more, but what spell gets cast is actually on a cycle, with the first one after loading a save being Violet High... but you can actually skip spells by either getting enough points at once to go to the next one, or by dodge canceling the spell to keep the points for the next spell. If you keep doing that you can also build up enough points to use the last one (Force Detonator, or Lightning Blast if you don't have Force Detonator) multiple times in a row instead of going back to Violet High. And you can then cancel more spells to get more points to keep using Force Detonator instead of resetting. Different spells also have different points needed. There used to be a google doc explaining this better but it's apparently been deleted since, so a youtube video will have to do if someone wants to know more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnApzafRnrY

Really interesting video for such a strange part of the game. Berseria is like the king of overcomplicating its battle system. Not surprising I've never seen AI Magilou do anything with this whole system. Sounds way too complicated for the computer. The Demi-Melchior fight was the only time I ever noticed Spell Absorber on this playthrough. If she ever used it before, I certainly do not remember it.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXVI: The Visitors We Greeted

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXVII: The Scores We Settled

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXVIII: The Stories We Concluded, Part 1

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXVIII: The Stories We Concluded, Part 2

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXIX: The Planet We Beheld

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXX: The Horizon We Sought

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
For the record, this update will be listed last for Berseria when this thread goes into the Archive, but I wanted to wrap up all the post-game content in a single update, since there isn't *that* much of it, but it'll be a long recording, I know that for sure, and I can only really record for that long a stretch on weekends.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
How it should've ended.

On the day...of the Opening... Velvet... The Arthur you knew died that day. It was always there, in the back of my mind. "If only it hadn't been Celica and my son who were killed that day. If only it had been you two instead..."
...I thought the same thing. So many times. If it had been us, then I know... I know you would have fought to save the world for us.
...no, you were a total pain in the rear end ... would've been sad ... at the funeral ... but that's ... about ... it ...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I still have no idea what Artorias killing Velvet's brother was supposed to accomplish

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I still have no idea what Artorias killing Velvet's brother was supposed to accomplish

Two sacrifices were needed to awaken Innominat at the shrine. The first was Artorius' unborn child, during the events of the prologue movie (but we didn't know what happened to him after he ditched Velvet and Laphi until we went to the Earthpulse in Act 3), and when that was insufficient, Laphi read Artorius' book about Innominat and found out a second one was needed, so he volunteered. He wasn't crying out for help during the prologue sequence at the shrine, he was telling her to go away so she didn't have to see what Artorius was about to do.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 30, 2022

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Sylphid posted:

For the record, this update will be listed last for Berseria when this thread goes into the Archive, but I wanted to wrap up all the post-game content in a single update, since there isn't *that* much of it, but it'll be a long recording, I know that for sure, and I can only really record for that long a stretch on weekends.

Man, this sure was a funny joke I told myself a week ago, that I could get all of the post-game content done in a single record. Maybe if that single recording was about...10 hours long by my count. Including 40 minutes of completely wasted footage because the bonus dungeon is very difficult! The good news, though, is that I'm basically done recording the game. There is one final thing to do before I ended recording this morning, but everything substantial is done.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXXI: The Tales We Told

I think of all the updates in all the LPs I've done, this one took the most effort, in terms of recording it, writing it, the screenshots, videos. The works. Good big one to end Berseria on. Hopefully I'll get around to starting Zestiria before the end of this month.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Congrats on finishing the first half of the thread!

As for the hot spring scene, even if you're one whos unnerved by the... well, anime silliness of it or what have you, the voice acting deserves actual props. The VAs stayed in their characters' actual bodies, but started playing the character swapped into them, and they all pulled off their swaps pretty darn well.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
So I reinstalled Berseria and started up NG+ from my latest save 4 years ago.

I have 68 Sovereign Acerites.

Why

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Staltran posted:

So I reinstalled Berseria and started up NG+ from my latest save 4 years ago.

I have 68 Sovereign Acerites.

Why

At least on PC, there's a *plausible* explanation for why you have so many. On console, though, I would need proof of that brand of madness.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Well, going through the Equipment Book, by my count 46 entries have the max enhance name revealed. With the double dismantle thing that would be more than enough, even discounting the chance of duplicate amber stuff. And I don't see why I wouldn't have gone straight to 99 if I had just edited the save... and I have no recollection of ever knowing how to do that. Plus it would explain why I've apparently spent 65 hours in menus, and why I remember thinking Berseria's equipment system was worse than Zestiria's... Also I remember having the second +1 initial soul bonus from +45 loadout on at least some characters by the end of NG+. And honestly, I can actually see myself doing this to myself. I think I actually got these "legitimately"...

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Interesting. I mean, it's not the most impossible thing in the world to grind out +50 builds, it just takes a long time and even on Chaos, it's probably overdoing it. I just remember going through Vesperia on the hardest difficulty with really powerful Devil's Arms and finding it a cool pseudo-Heaven or Hell mode from DMC, where everyone dies really quickly and I wish Berseria did something like that for Chaos. Even moreso, I really wish you could carry over equipment between playthroughs, even if you had to earn your previous equipment back with effort like in Zestiria. Now that was a neat way to do things.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part I: The Dawn of a Shepherd

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
In addition, the second post of the thread has been updated with Zestiria's "OP". I'd definitely be interested in seeing a thread that gives this game a much harder time than I will, but I'm certainly not the type who can write a thread like that.

comicfan92
Aug 30, 2018
It's going to be great seeing you cover this game! This was the first proper Tales game I played (after seeing LPs of some the others in the series), and I still like it despite some of the flaws.

It's a shame that the intro song might have been the result of a troubled production, because it's such a banger for me!
:rock:
While I normally skip an RPG intro after the first time seeing it, I would always listen to Zestiria's intro when I boot the game up, as it was so good at getting you in the mood to play!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

quote:

So where is Elysia in relation to any Berseria locations? Insofar as any of the geography is directly comparable and, spoiler alert, not much of it is, we're actually pretty close to where Aball would have been. Although there *definitely* were not any places even remotely like this in Berseria, we didn't actually see much of Eastgand, so it's entirely possible Velvet and "friends" just never found occasion to come to this place.

I think Taliesin is supposed to be on that mountain? Pretty sure some dialogue mentioned the land the city was on was already rising even before the Elemental Empyreans were awakened, but that's still a lot higher for what used to be a port city.

Aball should be on the other side of Ladylake than Elysia, though, unless the geography got really messed up.

quote:

So although this is *technically* a tutorial battle, it's actually our first boss fight. The big tutorial here is Hidden Artes, what other games in the series might just call artes. These are basically the special moves that have special effects or elemental properties or what have you.

I'm not sure what you mean here? Martial artes have elements and other properties too. E.g. Sorey's True Fang is wind elemental and can stun, and Freezing Strike is counter-Apodous and can raise his arte defense.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Staltran posted:

I think Taliesin is supposed to be on that mountain? Pretty sure some dialogue mentioned the land the city was on was already rising even before the Elemental Empyreans were awakened, but that's still a lot higher for what used to be a port city.

Aball should be on the other side of Ladylake than Elysia, though, unless the geography got really messed up.

I'm not sure what you mean here? Martial artes have elements and other properties too. E.g. Sorey's True Fang is wind elemental and can stun, and Freezing Strike is counter-Apodous and can raise his arte defense.

I thought the Martial Artes were just the basic sword strikes, like what I was doing in the very first fight with the spider. Again, it's been a while, so I entirely forget if you learn fancier ones later on.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I think they just didn't tutorialize them yet:

That's from NG in the very first spider fight. I didn't remember you don't start with all martial artes (and in fact the first position is the only one where you have more than one), but I think the ones you do have possess all of their properties already. e: more to the point—unless I'm really forgetting something— like Berseria, Zestiria also doesn't have "basic attacks" like most games in the series do, everything is an arte.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 30, 2022

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part II: The Festival of a Blade

comicfan92
Aug 30, 2018
The "The princess' enemies are legion" image seems to have been used twice, once before the "Wh-Who are you?" line by Sorey and then again before the assassion "*jumps away*" and suggests going to the pedestal.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part III: The Power of a Hero

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
And there we go, this is why Oscar going all "Take a good look... this is Armatization" is such a huge line for the Release Order Players; it's basically Zesteria's biggest battle mechanic being used against you in a boss fight.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I always figured Lailah was a re-re-incarnated Seres, what with being a fire seraph, using paper seals as her weapon of choice, and I think Celica was mentioned as making a lot of puns?

quote:

She seems like a seraphim of fine character to me
Seraph.

Also fights with a lot of casters are difficult enough on Berseria, especially on higher difficulties (I think Chaos has a 50% cast time reduction for enemies), and that's with Spell Absorber existing. But Zestiria... endgame I think you can out-cast the enemies, but that's boring and they still might wipe you if you screw up.

...the altar being built in the Era of Asgard places it after Berseria, right? It would have still been underwater between Claudin Asgard's rule and Berseria, and Claudin doesn't strike as someone who would have made it trap you unless you managed to use the flames... of purification... which already proves it's post-Maotelus, d'oh.

quote:

Armatization combines the HP, Attack, Arte Attack, Focus (SC recovery), skills, and BG total (which is why even 5 BG doesn't max out the gauge right now) of Sorey and the seraph he's armatized with.

...wait, armatization doesn't give you combined Defence and Arte Defence? I suppose that makes sense but I absolutely thought it did.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Zestiria feels very... Calvinist for lack of a better term. Here is Sorey. He is cool and chosen by God despite being the boring anime teen protagonist much like the Seraphim.

This is you. You got mad because you got passed over for promotion in favor of the boss' son, and you're angry about it because he's a known moron, so you get mutated into a demon.

I really don't like Zestiria, so i might not be fair, but its telling that Berseria seems to go back and retcon malevolence as basically bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Staltran posted:

I always figured Lailah was a re-re-incarnated Seres, what with being a fire seraph, using paper seals as her weapon of choice, and I think Celica was mentioned as making a lot of puns?

...wait, armatization doesn't give you combined Defence and Arte Defence? I suppose that makes sense but I absolutely thought it did.

Nope. The pop-up you get before the first battle with Fire!Sorey explicitly says "By armatizing, you enjoy both parties' combined (Physical) attack, Arte Attack, Focus, HP, and skills, so when you're in a pinch, armatization is the answer."

Also, you're right about Velvet mentioning Celica loved puns. It's not a bad theory, it's just there's no explicit confirmation Lailah was around in any form during Berseria.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 27, 2022