Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lookw
Oct 7, 2014

SMaster777 posted:

And there we go, this is why Oscar going all "Take a good look... this is Armatization" is such a huge line for the Release Order Players; it's basically Zesteria's biggest battle mechanic being used against you in a boss fight.

I will admit that boss surprised me quite a bit first time playing berseria (release order so i had finished zestria first). I underestimated him since the boss name was (hilariously) 'Failed Oscar' and he proceeded to completely beat me senseless.

Then when dealing with the Armatized exorcist i basically went "nope, not dealing with these guys" and avoided them as hard as i could.

i forget did Armatization in Berseria use divine artifacts? Outside of that one direct reference with those two malakim at the end of the game i mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Artorius used one when Armatizing with Innominat.

The Failed Oscar thing is weird. Melchior is also Demi-Melchior, or IIRC Half-Kamui [armatized] Melchior in Japanese? Which implies Berseria-armatization is still an incomplete form of the arte, but that doesn't really come across otherwise. The malaks with the Divine Artifact do talk about developing it further but that still doesn't sound like it's half done, just that there's room for improvement (like it being fail-deadly with the self-destruct).

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
My personal reading is that good armatization, where it can be put off and on as the human/seraph desires, requires close synchronization between the host and seraph in terms of emotion or physical proximity or what have you, but obviously the Abbey cared basically nothing for whatever their pawns felt about anything, really, Melchior's method was the only way they could achieve anything on the same level.

My guess is that Melchior first learned about armatization from Claudin's book or something, or more likely Claudin himself, and devised an imperfect workaround to achieve something approximating the same result while maintaining the Abbey's viewpoint toward seraphim. It is curious that the seraph world continues to refer to the synchronization as "armatization", where you would think if that it was just Melchior's idea, they wouldn't want to use the exact same word for the process as Melchior's extremely destructive and cruel take on it. Which suggests that the idea was around before the Abbey.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part IV: The Perils of a Journey

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Armatization was definitely pre-Abbey in some form, since Grim recognized it, calling them "the forbidden artes". I'm guessing it was forbidden because of the risk of the malak turning into a dragon. And the human turning into a daemon, but that's a smaller issue.

"A bunch of lunatics talking to themselves out loud?" is a weirdly aggressive opening when inviting you to a meeting when his bosses want to make a deal.

A seraph turning into a hellion if they eat all day seems to indicate that they can generate malevolence, though that contradicts Berseria. Or maybe they still need to be exposed to malevolence, but eating constantly makes them more susceptible to it?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Staltran posted:

Armatization was definitely pre-Abbey in some form, since Grim recognized it, calling them "the forbidden artes". I'm guessing it was forbidden because of the risk of the malak turning into a dragon. And the human turning into a daemon, but that's a smaller issue.

"A bunch of lunatics talking to themselves out loud?" is a weirdly aggressive opening when inviting you to a meeting when his bosses want to make a deal.

A seraph turning into a hellion if they eat all day seems to indicate that they can generate malevolence, though that contradicts Berseria. Or maybe they still need to be exposed to malevolence, but eating constantly makes them more susceptible to it?

I just assumed she was joking about that, although Lailah doesn't tend to joke around when it comes to malevolence / hellions. Could go either way.

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
Finally caught up. Glad to see the end of Berseria. I got into the final dungeon hideously underleveled like usual, racked up the grade gauge, fought a dire foe in a battle that took ages but was a lot of fun. I got an absurd amount of rewards, and the game crashed at the results screen. Never went back.

It's a shame Alisha doesn't stay around long, I wound up really liking her. Her and Sorey have a pretty fun dynamic, and she comes off as very earnest in an endearing way.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part V: The Roar of a Mountain

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hoo boy Zaveid's deal with killing people gets...interesting, I'll say that much.

Corndog Maestro
Sep 23, 2007

The mind transcends the body. It's also a little cold because of that. Please get it a blanket.
Edna and Eizen did get a proper face-to-face reunion in the defunct mobile game, Tales of the Rays. It goes about as well as it could.

https://youtu.be/Es-2Nv4izKE

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Corndog Maestro posted:

Edna and Eizen did get a proper face-to-face reunion in the defunct mobile game, Tales of the Rays. It goes about as well as it could.

https://youtu.be/Es-2Nv4izKE

And Crestoria gave them an entire side chapter.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Did Rays do that thing Crestoria did where it changed backstories just a bit, like Luke and Asch literally being twins and that's where their antagonism comes from? I would have expected Edna and Eizen's reunion to be a bit warmer than that, but I guess I could see it like "They're a lot more talkative about each other when the other isn't around".

Corndog Maestro
Sep 23, 2007

The mind transcends the body. It's also a little cold because of that. Please get it a blanket.
The Tales series characters were ripped from their respective stories/dimensions and copied (there was a lot of mirror-related theming and plot elements,) so they retained their background stories. Assuming they're pulled from whatever time frame their game story took place in, Edna knows Eizen as a dragon now. Suddenly seeing him as NOT a dragon is probably pretty jarring.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VI: The Sickness of a City

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 14, 2022

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VII: The Din of a Battlefield

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VIII: The Depths of a Ruin

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part IX: The Land of an Empire

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 1, 2022

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
I'd forgotten how delightfully oblivious Sergei is.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
For "The Patinal Forest", the best I can think of is the word "patina", which refers to an aura, sheen, or film that develops on something over time (originally as an oxidation of metals like bronze, but now a more general term). In that vein, I'd see it as it basically meaning that the forest is old and has aged gracefully.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Sylphid posted:

In addition, the second post of the thread has been updated with Zestiria's "OP". I'd definitely be interested in seeing a thread that gives this game a much harder time than I will, but I'm certainly not the type who can write a thread like that.

I'll probably have stuff to say later, but the beginning of the game is actually quite good. If you only played the first third and then stopped you'd be convinced this was actually an amazing game.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part X: The Rain of a Capital

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XI: The Path of an Adventure

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
You have an image of Edna delivering Sorey's "Moved the whole continent?!" line.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
You can also become immune to petrification by having a 6x stack of a skill.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XII: The Mysteries of a Country

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIII: The Trials of a Pilgrimage

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Could the Weylish Ruins be a take on Wales/Welsh, or is that too obvious?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

fatsleepycat posted:

Could the Weylish Ruins be a take on Wales/Welsh, or is that too obvious?

All I'll say is that wouldn't jive with the naming scheme for the other minor dungeons like the Weylish Ruins, but honestly, your guess is as good as mine. If the translation didn't absolutely butcher someone's name, there is seemingly absolutely nothing about who or what "Weylish" is.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
-deleted-

TheDavies fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 11, 2023

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
God, that scared the hell out of me. So you know the pre-order Legacy costumes / Mystic Artes (that I have to demonstrate)? These were, of course, originally pre-order bonuses, and my first time playing Zestiria, I was using them fine. Problem is...they were never released for download on the NA PlayStation store. They were released in other regions, but that's a whole other issue for someone like me with an NTSC copy of the game.The reason this was potentially an issue was because I recently transitioned to a PS5, so I had to move all of my Zestiria stuff over, which wasn't an issue. Save games and all that, fine. Had to redownload the DLC, but that also was a simple matter.

The problem was those pre-order bonuses. Apparently they're like...tied to those pre-ordered discs or something, so I had to dig up a menu to redownload those packs to my save file and fix that issue where you need 100% consistent DLC to load up save games with that DLC in them. This is one of those issues that's hard to look up on Google or whatever. Until I found that menu, though, all of my save games were unloadable, so I was utterly dreading that I might have to replay the entire game up to this point to resume content for the LP. That might have killed my motivation to finish this thread for a long, long time. This is a game that always keeps you on your toes, in its own special ways.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yikes! Glad to hear you found that menu. I had no idea about anything like that ever being a thing. Seems weird to tie DLC to the physical discs…

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIV: The Wind of a Canyon

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part : The ■■ of a ■■

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
First time I fought this battle, on my first playthrough of the game, I completely ran into this by accident. I don't exactly remember why I was going to Aifread's Hunting Grounds after finishing the Wind Trial, but I did, and I discovered Heldalf just chillaxin' there and I'm like "Wow, the final boss, we can fight early?" Yeah...

As for what exactly happened in the ending there, I don't think it's ever been 100% confirmed, but my personal theory (massive endgame spoilers) by killing, I assume, Heldalf rather than purifying him, which is impossible right now for reasons that the party will go into in a couple updates, the malevolence-overflowing Maotelus broke free or something, because the two are linked, from Artorius' Throne and went on a massive rampage that the party got caught up in. That massive creature that was outside the hut I'm pretty sure was a dragon, and aside from Eizen, who is shackled to the Spiritcrest because of Edna's oath, there are no other dragons on a similar scale.

In fact, I'm almost sure it was Maotelus because Lailah is completely silent during this ending, as though the oath preventing her from talking about him was still in effect. Other than that, it's Lailah not giving any kind of heads-up about a massive ball of calamity headed everyone's way, which does not sound like the kind of thing she'd do.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Ah, I was wondering if this was gonna be now, or a post-game thing done later via NG+ perks. The stuff in the spoiler bars is pretty much the common read on it though, and it makes sense.

Also, "Sorey+Mikleo, and then Rose's corpse + another seraph corpse" is.... pretty accurate to how this went for me too, I'm amused.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

SMaster777 posted:

Also, "Sorey+Mikleo, and then Rose's corpse + another seraph corpse" is.... pretty accurate to how this went for me too, I'm amused.

Most bosses were Sorey+seraph armatized, Rose and another seraph unconscious on the floor for me. I had Sorey loaded with a bunch of the heal-on-guard skill so I would heal from most attacks (some bosses did have single-hit attacks that would do more damage than I healed), so I didn't have much trouble with most bosses, but the AI would constantly eat poo poo.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XV: The Parting of a Friend

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVI: The Continuation of a Road

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVII: The Shining of a Jewel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Are the Aqua Scylla weak to earth? It goes Fire>Wind>Earth>Water>Fire I think, based on some half-remembered skits.