Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was just thinking about it because I was looking at a particularly sensual tomato stem and I realized I was looking at a living organism. Not one with thoughts and feelings but my thoughts and feelings are usually profoundly stupid and I have rights regardless.

Makes you think. Well, you. I don't think because I'm a loving moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Idk op, I've never been turned on by a tomato stem before

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good soup! posted:

Idk op, I've never been turned on by a tomato stem before
That's on you

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Yeah and they also have lefts LOL

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
yeah they do. the only ethical thing to eat is rocks

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Yes. You should only eat the parts of plants that fall naturally to the ground.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Rights are a human invention. The universe doesn't give a gently caress.

Me: Oh, I own this house, this is my property and I have an inalienable right to be here.
Cat 5 hurricane: lol stfu

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
no

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks for your input

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh great. i see the thread has been taken over by herbicidal maniacs. nice.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

look this is loving easy :rolleyes: if the plant is hot, then it has rights. duh.

sexy plants are citizens of the world.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Riot Bimbo posted:

look this is loving easy :rolleyes: if the plant is hot, then it has rights. duh.

sexy plants are citizens of the world.

buddy, they don't even let me gently caress the pitcher plant

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Carmant posted:

Yeah and they also have lefts LOL

:pooppop:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The food chain is inherently exploitative and we should be working on ending it.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
absolutely loving not. i draw the line at goddamn plants.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I actually think it's unclear whether plants have feelings. Obviously if they do they arise in a very different way to how ours seem to, but it's hardly conceptually impossible. They certainly exhibit behaviors that when we see them in an animal we take as a sign of consciousness. Reaction to stimuli and memory. Here's an interesting article on the subject.
https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01-09/new-research-plant-intelligence-may-forever-change-how-you-think-about-plants

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

plants have the right to remain silent

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dustcat posted:

plants have the right to remain silent

if a tree falls in the woods does it not make a sound?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

yes plants not only have rights but also privileges including domination of the pathetic, weak human species under the glorious spines of our new lord and master, the Giant Hogweed

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Only if in exchange we remove rights from all humans

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Elephanthead posted:

only if there's like squirrels or lumberjacks or something in it when it falls

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lock me up in the plant hague, i am a mass arsonist/murderer of the cannabis plant and i have no regrets

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Elephanthead posted:

no it makes a stump :dadjoke:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Weka posted:

I actually think it's unclear whether plants have feelings. Obviously if they do they arise in a very different way to how ours seem to, but it's hardly conceptually impossible. They certainly exhibit behaviors that when we see them in an animal we take as a sign of consciousness. Reaction to stimuli and memory. Here's an interesting article on the subject.
https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01-09/new-research-plant-intelligence-may-forever-change-how-you-think-about-plants

quote:

Check out this video of Michael Pollan discussing time-lapse photography of bean plants looking very purposeful.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Weka posted:

yes plants have rights because this confuses and enrages the desiccated brains of vegans

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah they do.

The right for Deez nuts up in yo face

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this poison ivy has the right to GET IN MY MOUTH

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
if a human-edible plant could speak wouldn't it ask you to eat it? how else do they reproduce except being eaten and shat out somewhere

eating a plant is like loving it

the other plants bees gently caress

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
potato plant: please, my son, please you must engorge yourself on planty milkers its the only way i can go on

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Vomik posted:

potato plant: please, my son, please you must engorge yourself on planty milkers its the only way i can go on

drat are you a farmer how do you know so much about potatoes

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Vomik posted:

if a human-edible plant could speak wouldn't it ask you to eat it? how else do they reproduce except being eaten and shat out somewhere

being tasty and domesticable food for humans is the best thing that can happen to a plant or animal species

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vomik posted:

eating a plant is like loving it

the other plants bees gently caress
this is also how i reproduce

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
NO.

I have decided to take a hard line on this.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

potatoes are losers, call yourselves nightshades, then how come flabby apes are eating you with cheese curds and gravy and not dying for like thirty years

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
officer, that cucumber told me he was 18, i swear

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Technically all plants have rights to exist.
But that is only because humans think that plants might have the cure for cancer in them or some poo poo, (and make oxygen)
and we don't want dumbass humans to gently caress that up.

Also, like, there is plant in Australia, that if you touch it, -it makes you want to kill yourself.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

op has the right to make like a plant and leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llCmtgvIqcY