Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I hear vagaries on supply chain issues, but it seems like things are worse than what I hear about and THE MEDIA doesn't want you to know WHATS REALLY GOING ON. I personally live in the western suburbs of Chicago if it's relevant.

I've had trouble finding soda, which I would think in the US would have led to rioting and ad hoc vigilante governments forming. My local store hasn't had diet coke in aluminum cans and a bunch of other sodas for a couple weeks. I don't know if it's a soda problem or a can problem. The bigger grocery outside of town is better stocked, but I still can't find some things like root beer there at all and haven't for a month or so.

I haven't seen my Bark Thins Dark Chocolate Mint™ at the store for, like, four months now and I'll be damned if I'm eating pumpkin spice anything as a replacement

None of those items above save diet coke I've been able to even find on Amazon

I've heard complaints from people who work at Walmart that they can't keep the shelves full of snacks and juice.

Costco has reinstituted paper goods limits, though they've seemed to be well stocked when I've been there, so it may be just trying to get ahead of problems this winter.

How long until society totally collapses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dom't be shilled unless it was from me.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
My local Target has been walling off departments one by one under the claim of "renovations" and reopening them a few weeks later. Maybe they just didn't have anything to sell lol. Either way they did actually renovate them so the store looks a lot nicer now. I bought some Impossible Meat burger patties from their grocery section, and they're difficult to cook because they fall apart but they taste pretty good.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Horny Milfs OP.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DrPossum posted:

How long until society totally collapses?

i already did the calculation for this in another thread. i'm bookmaking this thread so that i can help everyone here

Rutibex posted:

i have been doing some psycho-historian calculations and i think i have something. the soviet union withdrew from Afghanistan in February 1989, but their puppet government survived until April 1992. that means the soviet puppet government survived 39 months after the withdrawal of soviet forces. the soviet union collapsed in August 1991, 31 months after their withdrawal from Afghanistan.

now compare this to the USA occupation situation. US forces began withdrawing in may 2021, and by august 2021 Kabul was captured. this means the US puppet government collapsed in 4 months. comparing this with the soviet puppet regime there is a 10:1 corruption/incompetence ratio at play here. the USA empire is clearly 10x as corrupt as the soviet union. by extrapolating this ratio using the power of psycho-history i can predict that the US government will collapse entirely by November 2021

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Nothing?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CSRA area of GA/SC (Augusta GA, Aiken SC):

-cereal is not being restocked anywhere near as fast as it's being bought up
-bread disappears on days that it isn't stocked (sundays, for the most part)
-diet soda is hit or miss. citrus drop and sun drop are completely gone but you can find diet 7 up and diet mtn dew. no diet coke (at least on-brand, you can find some off-brand) either.
-pet food, especially canned cat food, is low stock at a lot of grocery stores but not so much at petco/petsmart, probably due to markup.
-angel soft toilet paper and brawny paper towels are hard to find. paper plates took me four stores to find some last time.
-canned vegetables are medium to low stock depending on where you go but I'm not seeing a lot of pallets of them being stocked while I'm in stores
-was hard to find saltines the other day
-military commissary is enforcing a 2 turkeys per family policy tied to your ID throughout the holiday season which has never happened in the 16+ years I've been going to the commissary. I usually grab a few for raw dog food throughout the year because they're cheap as hell but not this year. they were also encouraging people to "get what you need now for the holidays" especially candy and the german candy chests they get in, because "it won't be here by the end of the month and we don't know when or if we'll get more" and to hear that over the loudspeaker to the whole store was jarring. the military is usually the last group to say anything is wrong and when they do, oh man, poo poo's hosed.
-flour is disappearing again
-vegetable oil in big bottles is completely gone in most stores but you can find the quart bottles. there's very little olive oil, too.
-frozen veggies are up and down depending on what you're looking for and where you are. Kroger is doing okay. Commissary has a lot. Food Lion, Aldi/Lidl, and KJ's/IGA are pretty rough right now. Walmart is a clusterfuck and it depends on which county you're in. Burke county at the Waynesboro walmart has been hosed up since the beginning of the pandemic almost two years ago and hasn't really improved. The one up on Wrightsboro Rd in Augusta is sometimes okay, sometimes not. It's a mess and you shouldn't expect to find what you're looking for last minute.
-box stuff like stuffing, rice-a-roni, and instant potatoes is hit or miss, too.

there are practically no new vehicles on any lots around here. there's a lot missing from the hardware stores or you find like, one pair of pliers where pre-pandemic you'd have found dozens. livestock feed is on back order for a lot of species but they're trying to get it in. we've got lots of hay, plenty of clothes, and most stores have lots of produce and meat but it's $4.65-$5+ a pound for 80/20 hamburger at the discount stores so it stands to reason nobody's buying it. Dairy is here but a lot of it seems to be expiring within a few days of hitting shelves. Cheese disappears now and then. Eggs and other that-area cold stuff (like canned biscuits) are fine and you can find most frozen pizzas and frozen meals.

E: legit post, don't come here, restaurants keep running out of menu items :lol:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: legit post, don't come here, restaurants keep running out of menu items :lol:

too late op, I've already eaten all of the moons over my hammy at all the Denny's in 20 mile radius

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The supply chain on a lot of non-edible products like takeout boxes and plastic containers is collapsing pretty hard

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Colonel Cancer posted:

The supply chain on a lot of non-edible products like takeout boxes and plastic containers is collapsing pretty hard

I look forward to my sushi orders arriving in individual unsealable plastic baggies

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTqyUz_jSIo

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
The love. Where is it?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

DrPossum posted:

too late op, I've already eaten all of the moons over my hammy at all the Denny's in 20 mile radius

ha HA! there are no dennys within 20 miles!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

my dog died im sad posted:

The love. Where is it?

Altruism is a hidden secret.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
That song from Romper Stomper but its about putting on a Hi-Vis instead

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Some things you can't buy :)

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
powdered donut holes and garlic bread

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
wouldn't donut powder just be flour?

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Theres no Truck Drivers from the EU in my store

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012
Haven't noticed any scarcities here in Spain, but my folks back in PA report that the state-run liquor stores are limiting some popular liquor brands to two bottles per person. Doesn't affect then since they're not big drinkers, but God help us all if their local Walmart ever runs out of Bubly seltzer waters.

E: Oh yeah, they also report that MASKS are missing on everyone's goddamn FACES at all their local stores...

purplestuffedworm fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 10, 2021

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Just went to the store and they didnt have naan breads with garlic. I'm about to form a mob.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Just went to the store and they didnt have naan breads with garlic. I'm about to form a mob.

here's what you do. go get the chopped garlic in a jar. spread a little on the plain naan. put some mozzarella over it. melt the cheese in the oven and it'll crisp the garlic up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

just get some pancake mix and garlic butter

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I sell bicycles. So far this year we haven't been able to get parts for much of anything. Stuff is backordered for months on end and often gets cancelled.

Biggest thing is this isn't just high end parts. The most basic poo poo just isn't coming in:

7 speed freewheels, what you find on drat near every cheap bike that comes in needing repairs.
8 speed cassettes.
11 speed chains. Hell basically ANYTHING 11 speed is backordered for close to a year.
Cruiser and comfort saddles, which means the droves of creaky boomers coming in looking for a saddle because theirs is just too uncomfortable are screwed.

For manufacturers ordering parts by the thousands, they cant get things like Suntour suspension forks, which is what you find on pretty well every mountain bike under a grand. Giant is waiting something insane like 700 days after placing an order.

I'm literally starting to horde parts to keep my own stuff running and we have a stash of parts we simply won't sell unless it's tied to a larger repair job or to a long standing customer.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Soon we'll have to assemble our own bikes using broomsticks and car tires :aaaaa:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
For some improbable reason, Gatorade at my local Harris teeter is in crisis supply

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
The good soy milk. They have the bad soy milk and the flavored soy milk but people keep selling out of the plain

also, less funny, paper products are collapsing and I am unclear as to when books will become a normal thing you can count on buying when they are released, again

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Paper plates were out two weeks ago but they’re all back now.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I haven't seen anything chronically missing yet, more like a missed shipment here or there. Random stuff will run out and then take a week and be back. Produce is still going strong though.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

the holy poopacy posted:

I haven't seen anything chronically missing yet, more like a missed shipment here or there. Random stuff will run out and then take a week and be back. Produce is still going strong though.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Soap shoes so I can grind a hand rail

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The pumpkin shortage is a lie. I can’t get away from the goddamned things.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Phased plasma rifle in the 40 Watt range.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

For some improbable reason, Gatorade at my local Harris teeter is in crisis supply

I forgot that one. you can't find gatorade anywhere around here; unless you want the blue one but who wants the blue one?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
El Monterey three cheese, jalapeño, and bean frozen burritos no longer seem to exist now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

No Donkey Chips brand tortilla chips for weeks now OP. It's hard to think of an entire category of products, but it's hard to find a particular brand of stuff you might want, even if it was there every week rock solid 6 months ago. Also if anything is on a deep sale the hoarders have it picked clean by 8:15.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Xaintrailles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsLT6rV0nNo

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

El Monterey three cheese, jalapeño, and bean frozen burritos no longer seem to exist now.

I concur El Monterey brand in general seems to have been hit hard!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Xaintrailles posted:

just get 2 20Ws and a plasma recombinator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

something has happened to the idea of yogurt. I remember the yogurt aisle stretching for as far as the eye could see. These days I hardly see a chobani.