Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctorthe10th
Oct 1, 2021
Souls Likes a list

As we all know everyone loves games being compared to Dark souls. Every game nowadays is the dark souls of *insert genre here* However a lot of people just seem drawn to these dark fantasy challenging type games.

So here I have compiled a bunch of what I consider to be souls type games so that hopefully you guys can find a new game you might enjoy. Whether it be similar based on combat, difficulty, atmosphere or hopefully a combination of the aforementioned. I’ve also divided them into 2d, 3d and upcoming categories. Feel free to add more to the list and feel free to tell me how much you hate everything being compared to dark souls and how a game on the list isn't even close to a souls like.

I like to compile lists like this together so I may have more in the future if you guys like it

The From Soft Squad.

These don’t need much introduction as these are the games that started and perfected the modern genre/style.

Demon Souls: the granddaddy. Not perfect but the predecessor to Dark souls.

Dark souls 1, 2, 3: These games started the whole souls like trend and set the trend of a dark oppressive atmosphere, interconnected world, environmental storytelling, stamina based and punishing combat etc. Wonderful games.

Bloodborne: Hot take the best of the soulsbourne games. A Lovecraftian world with a cool stance switching combat option.

Sekiro: Fast paced combat where the goal is to time parries and find openings. Super satisfying when you get good at it although it lacks the heavy emphasis on equipment and looting for armor and weapons other games by fromsoft do.

Elden Ring: The upcoming game based on a world written by George RR Martin the author of the Song of Ice and Fire series.

3D

Nioh 1 and 2: Souls but with rng loot

The Surge 1 and 2: : Scifi take on the genre where you kill robotic monsters and cyborgs and upgrade yourself with their cybernetics.

Code Vein: Anime souls but you get a free meat shield

Mortal Shell: Indie game made by a small developer. Your combat style is based on what shell you use. Solid game

Hellpoint: Indie game by a small developer. Has a good bit of jank but a solid effort

Jedi Fallen order: Combat is very souls like but set in the star wars universe

Darksiders 3: Specifically this one. Has an interconnected world and dark atmosphere.

Remnant from the Ashes: A solo or coop 3rd person shooter take where the world is procedurally generated so you can get different worlds on extra playthroughs.

Bloody Spell: A Chinese roguelike souls like. Very difficult game. The game play is incredibly fun and I personally love the environments. Just ignore all the cosmetic dlc and enjoy the base game

Monster Hunter World: Similarish with combat and giant monsters to fight but not really close in atmosphere.

Shattered Tale of the Forgotten King: Souls like rpg. Apparently has a slow start and janky combat but has some fun exploration.

Little Witch Nobeta: Anime looking souls like where combat is done by combining magic spells. Really fun even if the art style isn’t what you like

Ashen: a souls like that is just ok for the most part.

Let it Die: Free to play: climb a tower and upgrade your gear as you climb. Similar combat. Seems to have that lol so random type humor though.

Lords of the fallen: Trash tier but exists and goes on sale regularly

Upcoming 3D

Black Myth Wukong: Upcoming chinese game that looks insanely good using Journey to the West as its inspiration.

Thymesia: An action Rpg with an intricate plague weapons system.

Lies of P: Inspired by pinocchio and his journey to become human. Looks interesting

Edge of the Abyss Awaken: Third person action roguelite rpg where you can play coop. Looks pretty fun combat wise.

Bleak Faith Forsaken: A very grey art style. The bosses look very souls inspired.

Steel Rising: During the time of King Louis XVI there are metal automata. Join the revolution and destroy the automata army. Steel punk seems like a cool theme.

Death Bound: Morph between 5 different classes. Seems ok.

Soulstice: Two sisters fight a bunch of bosses. Look fun and fast paced.

Project Relic by Project Cloud Games a brutal soulslike with big beasts and hectic combat much faster paced.

2D

Hollow Knight: People argue about if they consider this a souls like. I tend to think it is with exploration, dark atmosphere and environmental storytelling. It’s one of my favorite games. With a great development team and massive amount of content. I’d recommend it to everyone.

Blasphemous: Grim dark catholic fantasy with amazingly detailed gory and disturbing bosses.

DarkMaus: top down minimalist game where you play as a mouse.

Death’s Gambit: recently had a free dlc update. Pixel art is insanely good and combat is super fun.

Eldest Souls: Kill the old gods. It is more of a boss rush type game but the combat is inspired heavily by dark souls/

Ender Lilies: Dark fantasy setting where the world was corrupted by rain. Great art and story

Lucah Born of a Dream: A fever dream art style but really polished combat and gameplay. Solid game.

Salt and Sanctuary: Solid souls like 2d metroidvania but isn’t the most polished on animation and art direction. Has a sequel coming out called Salt and Sacrifice

Skautfold: Shrouded in Sanity: Fun dark atmospheric where you explore an estate and find out how cosmically insignificant you are.

Titan Souls: A boss rush one hit you die one hit you kill game. Very challenging.

Death’s Door: created by the Titan souls devs this game is more zelda like but has a dark atmosphere and mechanic where you have limited health options and has a lot of backtracking when you die.

Unworthy: Black and white minimalist metroidvania.

Eastern Exorcist: 2d side scrolling action rpg with fast combat and big bosses.

Custodian: Beginning of the End: metroidvania brutal combination of difficult platforming and combat with awesome pixel art set pieces

Vigil The Longest Night: Lovecraftian horror metroidvania.

Grime: Interesting metroidvania with a unique style. Kill bosses and enemies and use their bodies to upgrade yourself.

Immortal Planet: isometric rpg not the greatest art of combat but it is also an option.

Bleak Sword: iOS only 3d game with a 2d pixel art style. Looks fun

Upcoming 2D

Hollow Knight Silksong: Follow up to Hollow Knight, my favorite metroidvania. Looking forward to how it evolves the movement options.

The Tarnishing of Juxtia: beautiful pixel art rpg where you explore the two kingdoms full of ancient machinery. Looks solid

The Last Faith: another beautiful pixel art looks very inspired by castlevania and bloodborne.

Zealot: Isometric pixel art game where you play as an Orthodox priest. And cleanse the world of paganism. Looks amazing imo

Crow Sworn: With an art style similar to hollow knight but combat that seems a lot faster I am tossing it on this list as a possible future option

The Cork: Low resolution action rpg.

Rot In a porcelain Dream: 2d metroidvania with 3d models which allows for cool animations. Look really good

There is no Light: fast paced action rpg. Combat looks super fluid

Aeterna Noctus: 2d metroidvania has really cool hand drawn art style, Play as the king of darkness as you traverse 16 areas with challenging combat and platforming. Looks really good

Salt and Sacrifice: The upcoming sequel to salt and sanctuary

Chrono Sword: Really nice looking Isometric souls like

Ada Tainted Soul: Top Down Pixel art souls-like with not the best looking art.

Doctorthe10th fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I really liked Deaths Gambit game play but 2D metroidvania maps without an Ingame map is completely out of the question for me. I don't think a single other game on the 2D list (that I've played at least) lacks a map.

Hot drat they updated this game I've had for years and literally checked out again like 2 weeks ago... A week ago. With fuckin maps. Nevermind!

OxMan fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 12, 2021

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I feel like the King's Field games deserve an honorable mention for being the precursor to the Souls series and originating a lot of the elements still in use to this day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I always feel the need to shout out Vigil: The Longest Night wherever it appears. It's my personal favorite of the papercraft 2D Soulstroidvanias.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

OxMan posted:

I really liked Deaths Gambit game play but 2D metroidvania maps without an Ingame map is completely out of the question for me. I don't think a single other game on the 2D list (that I've played at least) lacks a map.

looks like they added one of some sort in the expansion. they keep patching it so i'd wait a few weeks

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

sethsez posted:

I feel like the King's Field games deserve an honorable mention for being the precursor to the Souls series and originating a lot of the elements still in use to this day.

To add to this, there's a pc game that got kickstarted a month ago called Monomyth. Very heavily inspired by kings field.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

So if anyone was curious about a few of these games, I've recently played Shattered, Ashen, and am currently playing Hellpoint.

First, don't pay money for Shattered or at least do not pay full price. It's very much a game that was released too early. It's got some good bits like atmosphere and a hoverboard for traveling around the open world, but it has no variety. The lack of variety could be understandable if the game offered something else, but it also has no story worth paying attention to. NPC's are just stone-still models and terrain has holes in it all over the place. Gets real dry real quick. I got to the last boss and just gave up after it killed me which sent me back to my spawning point which was just outside that boss arena and then proceeded to bug out and kill me over and over while I was spawning. I'm pretty sure it's been abandoned so RIP that game. It's got the bones of a good game, but just don't play it. Maybe the developers have a kickstarter going for something else they're making so just do that instead.

I played Ashen and it was very charming. Not a lot of enemy variety but a lot of atmosphere and the lack of real enemy variety is offset by those enemies being very cool. The NPCs are pretty chill, and the crafting isn't too horrible, but weapons are a choice between a variety of two-handed axes and maces, one-handed axes and maces, and javelins. Pretty fun overall though.

Hellpoint continues to enthrall me. It's got choices, minor customization in weapons and armor, a decent story, a good atmosphere, and the combat isn't too floaty or too rigid (Ashen is very rigid imo.) Crafting is easy. Overall it's just got a minor learning curve and everything else is just a fun game to pass the time with.

All these opinions are from someone who has never and probably will never play Dark Souls. I played a bunch of roguelikes without having played rogue, so I'm going to keep that streak going.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Youtube man Iron Pineapple has a playlist of more obscure souls clones. Not all of them look terrible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If your thinking about playing the surge 1. You will listen to this song multiple times and you will enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nBvddxrltk

You literally have no choice in the matter, you will listen to this song even before you know your listening to it, if you play the surge 1.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 2, 2021