Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Natural 20 posted:

I will say that I really do struggle with the controls in Metroid. They're completely logical, don't get me wrong. But I have so much difficulty with just remembering I can aim with L and also that missiles aren't their own button, but a toggle on R. My brain is hard wired to jump and fire at a target I see in the air.

Also I'm so much worse at Metroid jumping.

Keep in mind possibly every other poster in this thread probably played Metroid games semi-frequently from age 8 on. It's not really surprising if you don't have the same muscle memory for it most of the people commenting on your videos do.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

The EMMIs have two ways of detecting you. The first is that blue cone in front of them, and if they see you with it things turn red, the doors lock, and they start chasing you. The second is the big yellow circle that they only emit intermittently. Think of the later as a radar, if they use it and you're in range (which is usually most of the room) it'll make little pings over you and the EMMI will know something is there and come looking - it won't actually set off the alarm, though.

The phase cloak will hide you from either, but since the "radar" pulse is basically impossible to predict it's mostly useful for the vision cone. If you see the EMMI coming you can use the cloak to hide (especially if you can't easily run), and if it does the radar and you see it ping off Samus you can also use it, but be sure to move as well because it will usually run right over to where you were, and the cloak won't protect you from the EMMI actually touching you.

The actual melee counter timing is meant to be, while not impossible, so difficult not even the best players can do it reliably (which would basically trivialize the EMMIs), so it's basically just a desperate measure to try when you're out of better options.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

"But wall jumps are really easy in Super Metroid"

Said no one else on Earth, ever.

SIGSEGV posted:

Speedrunners will eventually turn it into a joke if the animation has literally any tells so it's fine. It's going to be a lot like Alien Isolation. (Which isn't that odd on account of basically being Metroid Isolation right now.)

If they keep to the pattern of previous Metroid games, they'll watch a speedrun after finishing this playthrough. I look forward to seeing what they think of how speedrunners deal with the EMMIs.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

I will aim up over my dead body. If jump fire was good enough for Fusion it's good enough for this.

When I saw this post my first thought was "Oh boy, the Kraid fight is going to be fun."

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Yorkshire Tea, last episode: Shine Spark Puzzles are the best.
Yorkshire Tea, this episode: Ooooooh heck.

That is a fun puzzle though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I'm pretty sure her neck is covered. The neck area is brown but so is the plate over her collarbone area, so it's probably just the color/how it looks in the light.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Gnoman posted:

Introducing Samus's snacks at this stage of the game is kind of interesting from a mechanics point of view. Even if you assume that the player has played the previous games and knows about that mechanic, it feels odd to bring it up so late.

If you've played Fusion (and don't immediately predict it like Natural 20 did), I think it's a great "oh poo poo" moment to reveal it so late. If you haven't played Fusion it probably feels weird and like it comes out of nowhere though.

I think it's a case of story over mechanics, and I think that's actually cool since it's something you don't see a lot these days.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Should we tell him melee countering that boss destroyed the shield he hated so much?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Omobono posted:

It's a bit :psyduck: after you played Hollow Knight like a Stradivari seeing you struggle with the concept of hitting jump at the right time.

But yeah, the space jump lamentation station delivered and risks getting stale now.

If nothing else it's been a great lesson in how personalized control preferences can be. Space jump feels natural to me but I've been playing Metroid games for like three quarters of my life at this point.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Metroid Designer 1: How do we make Natural 20's life suffering
Metroid Designer 2: Space jump flappy bird!

Tea: "Thinking too much is never a problem for you"
Me: *remembers Super Metroid where Nat got stuck for 20 minutes thinking the solution definitely must be more complicated than ducking and shooting*

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Alright, place your bets... how many videos will it take them to beat Raven Beak?

On Adam, I always found him calling you "Lady" super jarring, so I got pretty suspicious when he suddenly switched to calling you Samus.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Omobono posted:

I think this his greed blowing up in his face.
He had Samus, he had her Metroid magic DNA*, but it would have taken some time to breed the new babies metroids, so he decided that letting the Queen live was a good idea.

Also, I mean, his race is apparently completely dead except for him and a kidnapped scientist who hates him*. He's crazy arrogant to not think the plan would backfire on him, but at some level he may still want his sort of daughter working for him just so he'd have someone to talk to while he conquers the galaxy with his army of clones and robots. I doubt he's exactly mentally healthy sitting on his throne watching camera feeds of his dead world.

*Until recently, I mean, now it's just him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

Once I figured out what the sun attack was, I realised it was similar enough to a bunch of other attacks I've seen that I knew how to deal with it. Get as much distance as you can whilst being airborne and just bounce around.

I'm impressed, I don't think I've seen anyone beat that phase that way, but most people probably either discovered or looked it up and found out power bombs not only blew up the sun it dropped a bunch of powerups.

And since I know it was a topic of discussion earlier, we now have proof that yeah, Raven Beak's giant gun can indeed vaporize X, which is probably how he was able to stop their rampage.