Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im only like halfway through the new ep: you can jump with the speed boost, you dont need to shinespark (in fact, there's lots of puzzles that require it)

Yeah the speed booster is WAY more versatile in Dread than ever before, even though you're left to learn this yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, figuring out how to not anticipate the walljump (hitting back too soon cancels the run) while then readjusting afterward to not cancel the run can be tricky. Feels great when you get it. And everyone used to old speedbooster gets their mind blown looking at it, that particular one's perfect for showing the tricks off.

You don't have to hit back to walljump, just be spinjumping near a wall!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

So yeah that scene is I think a pretty consequential scene for Metroid and I think they did a really good job with it.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Omobono posted:

Other M Samus: "I don't breathe without Adam's authorization"

Dread Samus: "Don't worry, bird dad I just met, I got this"

I'm exaggerating Other M but gently caress yeah THIS is how Samus should be on the job.

What was that boss (? miniboss maybe?) a Chozo warrior robot?
Lastly I'm worried about Samus' hand glowing there, it didn't look like she did it consciously.

It's definitely and a miniboss and it's a robot chozo warrior developed to not be vulnerable to X. You can see them being made in the background in some area or another.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Also, the EMMI stab through, like, the thickest part of the breastplate anyway.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

poo poo Status: Real

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

The door was sealed when we went in...

And yeah the robot chozos are robots. That spear guys are actual chozo warriors being mimicked by the X.

Blue EMMI with Gaze Of Freeze Your rear end is a huge pain, good luck dealing with it.

X that are going to become something else generally flash white.

I honestly think they use the term "Bounty Hunter" mostly because it sounds better than "Solo Mercenary." They did say she's getting paid a bounty by SOMEONE for coming to ZDR.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Escue is always a pain!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Ah, this point in the game... it's one of the more "relying on you to remember where you couldn't go before" parts...

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Dread can be tricky since it uses *all the buttons* and that's a lot of finger positions for your brain to keep track of (I admit sometimes I semi-forget I can do things I haven't needed to do for a while), but I actually have a much easier time in dread than in some other games that use all the buttons, especially ones that have less switch-type uses for the triggers.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I'm glad you got Experiment's counter, it's one of the best counter attack animations in the game.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

SL the Pyro posted:

...I have no idea where Golzuna's head is supposed to be, so I just guessed.

Golzuna's head, like all of the monsters of that body plan, is on the small nubbin end (they fight with their butts). The easiest way to survive its boss fight is to midair flash step over it while it's setting up its bullet hell patterns, so you can be on the other side while they go off - though, even easier, that room is JUST long enough to build up a speed booster in for shinespark kills. Also, you can fight Golzuna quite early if you solve that one sparkball trick for a missile tank like you did, but then don't stop and keep going out into that tall room.

I know that traditionally the wave beam came before the plasma beam, but I definitely feel that the way level design has evolved it makes more sense for shooting through walls to be a bigger deal than shooting through multiple enemies. Especially with the high amount of beam-interactable things in walls that the wave beam allows to be done in the reverse direction.

Bomberman is in smash as an assist trophy and deluxe mii costume, but not as a full fighter. So, More than Waluigi, less than Chrom.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

FeyerbrandX posted:

*Exhales*

So... yeah that happened. SEVERAL TIMES.

Yeah this. The end of the game has quite a few twist punches.

Ironically now that you can space jump, you seem to be slightly underusing the flash shift in battles, it's the best way to suddenly be on the other side of doods.

The main unique thing about Goldie is that his shield isn't destrucible by force, but if you counter its shield slam you can grab the shield with grapple beam and pull it off. Or, as you saw, you can just time your storm missiles for when the shield isn't up.

Zernach posted:

So that powerup that stumped you, doors stay open for a certain time before closing, right?

you can shoot the door open from the other room through the walls, get into the comms room and the door will still be open

Do you have a video of this? I'm not quite sure what you mean. There is *just* enough space left up top even with the floor broken, though, I did it that way.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Wave Beam can shoot through walls, so I think Zernach is saying what you do is go into the room with the powerup (from the bottom level), shoot to the top left to open the one way door from the comm room, start a speed boost, save it, jump up to the top level and out through the one way door, them jump up and bomb the floor and spark down.

"Shoot through the wall to get through a one way door" is actually the solution to get to an otherwise unreachable place in another area, but for this powerup that's a lot you'd have to do before the shinespark expires, especially since you'd have to wait for the bomb to explode. It can probably be done though, I mean I was able to get that one missile+ tank they were stumped by a few episodes ago using cross bombs instead of sliding through to the room on the left.

But yeah for this particular one I did the same thing you did, since there is just enough space to shinespark even if you blow up the floor.

Ah OK I get it. I think even if you don't save the spark that's still a faster way to get another attempt at the puzzle than going all the way around.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

And the twists keep coming. The final boss was really nice because it's so close to samus's abilities, only turned up to 11 (the SA-X was similar but it wasn't the final boss exactly). Also It's really cool that raven beak uses the Aeion powers from both this game and Samus Returns (oh and when his Lightning Armor is gold, he's completely invincible, though shooting him in that phase aggros him into doing counterable stuff more).

Being able to hurt things pretty good without charging is just a wave beam thing. And yeah it out-DPSes missiles if your shooty finger is fast.

He has a lot of moves where flash shift is great for getting around, but space jump does work for a lot of them too. And you do pretty much need to space jump for the beam burst phase and the sun unless you nuke it, and you need to remember to slide under some stuff, so it's easy to lose track of your verbs.

Apparently space bird wizard powers let you control being an X... and yeah, she was able to absorb the Thoha "Control metroids" power from QR-X. But the Metroid DNA should still be there...

The Golux fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

They're not wrong, it is pretty uncompromising controls-wise. It would have been nice if they included alternate control mapping or assist-mode stuff like automatically swapping to grapple or missiles when relevant?