Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Folks, I'm a Canadian A&W Enjoyer. I think they're the most reliable fast food burg available, and taste considerably better than all the others. They also revamped their fries a few years back, and they're good now. Admittedly not the best, but good. Above average.

:nice: actual cheese on the burgers, most locations even use the ancient technique of putting the cheese on the patty to let it melt a bit unless it's really busy

:nice: delicious, juicy patties. Not some dry puck like you semi-regularly get at McDonald's

:nice: Proper burger toppings, not just pickle slices and onion

:nice: the root beer is so loving good, one of the only sodas I actually enjoy

Please come here to discuss the Canadian chain A&W, distinct from USA A&W. Also go ahead and discuss the one in the states just make it clear that's what your talking about please my feeble brain will go into a rage if I get confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
A&W can be pretty solid (though gently caress them for getting rid of the Whistle Dog) but the one near my house is poo poo

US A&W seems pretty stupid, they don't even have the Burger Family? And instead of Whistle Dogs it's Coney Island Dogs? :barf:

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
what is this abomination "the coney island dog"

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
a&w canada is the greatest fast food period

5ft stack of crisp rear end lettuce on the burger aw yeah.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Samuel Glompers posted:

Seen at the Minneapolis airport years ago and apparently it's still a regular menu item. It's just a hot dog with onions and chili (I don't know where the chili comes from given that it's not on the Canadian menu, at least where I am). I was not feeling adventurous (tried Godfather's Pizza instead which was complete poo poo, :pressf: Herman Cain) and was indeed put off by the lack of a friendly Burger Family from which to pick the perfect size

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Is Chubby Chicken still a thing anywhere? Every location near me except one discontinued the pieces of bone-in chicken but I haven't been down that way in a while.

Looking at the US menu and man is it lovely, why aren't there seeds on the buns? Corn dog nuggets? Wtf- however in the envy column they do have deep fried cheese curds and the Root Beer Cream Freeze, which is just a blended float

crazy eyes mustafa fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 12, 2021

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Is this the same A&W that makes the A&W Rootbeer?

Because that's literally the only A&W product I know and its seems weird as hell for it to be a restaurant. Like if Pepsi made and sold burger lol wtf

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dM_TwpgpWc

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Boner M posted:

Is this the same A&W that makes the A&W Rootbeer?

Because that's literally the only A&W product I know and its seems weird as hell for it to be a restaurant. Like if Pepsi made and sold burger lol wtf

I mean, at one point PepsiCo was the parent company of Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and a bunch of other chains

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
A&W is indeed good and I am sad it is tough to find in the US. Though I have fond memories of Harvey’s in Canada

----------------

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Samuel Glompers posted:

https://www.eater.com/2016/5/8/11612056/detroit-coney-dogs-history

It's basically the chili dog's (superior) cousin.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gatts posted:

A&W is indeed good and I am sad it is tough to find in the US. Though I have fond memories of Harvey’s in Canada

Harvey's and A&W are both genuinely great. Harvey's will deadass let you put so many pickles on your burger that it's hard to locate the meat, then give you extra on the side.

A&W is the only great food chain I know of that seems to have figured out lettuce. There's no other burger place where I look forward to the lettuce.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

Harvey's and A&W are both genuinely great. Harvey's will deadass let you put so many pickles on your burger that it's hard to locate the meat, then give you extra on the side.

A&W is the only great food chain I know of that seems to have figured out lettuce. There's no other burger place where I look forward to the lettuce.

frickin canadians

"Ey the best part is the lettuce, eh!?"

----------------

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Is Chubby Chicken still a thing anywhere? Every location near me except one discontinued the pieces of bone-in chicken but I haven't been down that way in a while.

Looking at the US menu and man is it lovely, why aren't there seeds on the buns? Corn dog nuggets? Wtf- however in the envy column they do have deep fried cheese curds and the Root Beer Cream Freeze, which is just a blended float

Chubby Chicken is still a thing, though it's all breast meat for burgers and tendies. The Chubby Chicken sandwich is probably my 2nd favourite fast food chicken burger (behind Popeyes).

Definitely agree with op that A&W does the best condiments and toppings. Also that the Root Beer is real good, especially in a frosted mug.

I also quite enjoy the All-Canadian breakfast (no hash brown).

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
It was cool how they had the onion ring seasoning in a shaker at the ketchup/straw station

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i asked for a thing of the onion ring seasoning at the drive through one time and the guy gave me a gravy container filled with it. home boy hooked me up with a lifetime supply :cheerdoge:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Is the root beer different from what you get in a bottle? I’m assuming it’s draft, but how different could it be? The bottled A&W is sickly-sweet trash.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Is A&W different in Canada? I had it here years ago and the burgers/fries were extremely similar to Roy Rogers (which is not a bad thing)

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I’ve never been to Roy Rogers but as far as the root beer goes Canada has different standards regarding soft drink bottling

In the US the standard is to sweeten with HFCS which is not allowed in Canada, up north the recipes use sugar/glucose-fructose (a certain amount of real sugar, often beet, filled out with a high glucose syrup) leading to a perceptibly different taste of sweetness. If you’ve never had it, think of it as being somewhere between the US (syrup) and Mexico (cane sugar) as far as quality and flavor as it’s basically a mix of the two

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
I had some of those new fake nuggets a couple months ago and they were quite good but expensive, which I guess is also my review of their beyond burger lol.

Countless memories of stopping at the A&W in Davidson, SK going to or from Regina, usually for Rider games :peanut:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is the root beer different from what you get in a bottle? I’m assuming it’s draft, but how different could it be? The bottled A&W is sickly-sweet trash.

In my opinion, anything on tap, especially beer, is better. McDonalds coke is better than what you get in the can.

----------------

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Pennywise the Frown posted:

In my opinion, anything on tap, especially beer, is better. McDonalds coke is better than what you get in the can.

Counterpoint, iced tea

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I’ve never been to Roy Rogers but as far as the root beer goes Canada has different standards regarding soft drink bottling

In the US the standard is to sweeten with HFCS which is not allowed in Canada, up north the recipes use sugar/glucose-fructose (a certain amount of real sugar, often beet, filled out with a high glucose syrup) leading to a perceptibly different taste of sweetness. If you’ve never had it, think of it as being somewhere between the US (syrup) and Mexico (cane sugar) as far as quality and flavor as it’s basically a mix of the two

drat I never knew this. I feel like this stuff is still loving us up a bit in Canada, is hfc really that much worse? Because it certainly seems like glucose fructose contributes to obesity in Canada.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Counterpoint, iced tea

Well the iced tea you get out of a fountain is probably made from a powder.

----------------

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'll agree with you on beer for sure, but preferring fountain soda is some serial killer poo poo.

----------------

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I dunno I'm with Penny on this one, easily.

Obviously, glass bottle with real sugar tops the list, I don't think that's in any dispute.

But plastic bottle or can vs fountain soda? Generally fountain. However, the fountains allow the owner/operator to adjust the syrup to soda water ratio so it's possible you can get some crummy ones if you're just pulling into Hicksville GasCo.

----------------

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
When I was working at a movie theater, my friend who was a manager there said that if the coke fountain broke at McDonald's, they'd drop whatever they were doing and prioritize it over all other jobs they have.

When my sister was pregnant she'd have me go to McDonald's specifically to get a diet coke from them.

----------------

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Well yeah, they're selling you a 2 cent product for 2 bucks, goddamn right that's high priority.

----------------

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Fountain soda is only as good as the machine dispensing it. Smaller places let them get pretty filthy and coliform bacteria takes root. This is partly why Sprite never tastes good anywhere and has kind of a musty flavor when not canned or bottled.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Samuel Glompers posted:

drat I never knew this. I feel like this stuff is still loving us up a bit in Canada, is hfc really that much worse? Because it certainly seems like glucose fructose contributes to obesity in Canada.

It definitely is. Sugar/glucose-fructose is not “better” per se but simply less bad because of how your body/bloodstream metabolizes it vs HFCS.

The interesting thing though was, according to the last statistics I looked at, it’s actually Mexico leading in rate of obesity across North America. They have the tasty sodas (again, sugar is not really good for you in any form) but one factor is that the traditional diet is high in corn and corn products. So anecdotally at least it seems to be corn and its derivatives doing a lot of the damage. Though if I lived in Mexico or in the Dr Pepper factory in Dublin or whatever I’m sure I’d be drinking myself to death with cane sugar just due to my access to it.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
A and W is in Utah and it is OK but it just seems weird as hell it is here

----------------

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Derpies posted:

A and W is in Utah and it is OK but it just seems weird as hell it is here

American A&W is haram

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
We used to go to A&W drive-ins in the GTA as kids, I doubt there's any left now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Samuel Glompers posted:

It's a Detroit thing, you wouldn't understand.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

hello, american expat here, discovering that a&w is good in canada was weirder than learning kilometers

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's pretty easily the best ff burg

----------------

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

yeah they're real good but harvey's sells acceptable poutine so it's a tie in first place

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I miss Harvey’s in Home Depot, seemed like a perfect combination. Then they put a subway in there which couldn’t be more of a gently caress you

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You nailed that one

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Bumping this thread to say they have made their multigrain bun substantially worse :mad:

It used to be this dense bun I loved to tear into and now it's some dempster's deluxe bs that is utterly "okay." It's what you would expect from fast food now, not a pleasant surprise like before