Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i teach high school and coach sports. i work 11 hours a day because money, but I mostly like my job. Also saturdays for minimum 3 hours, maximum 12. Usually around 6 or 7. Also doing things Sunday to get ready for the week. I wake up at 5:30 and get home between 6 and 6:30.

the problem is that I get home, walk dogs, make dinner, make the next days lunch

then the crucial decision: go to bed and feel good next day, or stay up to do fun things but feel like poo poo next day.

it's kind of a lot.

at least for july and august I do nothing but smoke weed, go fishing, and cook large elaborate meals.

do you guys work too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Working is for idiots

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I love my government job 4:30 comes around I clock the gently caress out nobody asks me to do poo poo

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

TontoCorazon posted:

I love my government job 4:30 comes around I clock the gently caress out nobody asks me to do poo poo

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can bring you in warm or I can bring you you in cold.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Zeluth posted:

I can bring you in warm or I can bring you you in cold.

the hell is that supposed to mean?

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

the hell is that supposed to mean?

I think it is from the mandalorian but I'm not a nerd so I wouldn't know

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
working long hours is only worth it for something that starts at AT LEAST 100k a year.

anything less is a poo poo job period

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
As a dues paying member of suck dicksters 69ers I scoff at your likely unpaid overtime

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Imagine being a teacher and working Saturdays lmao

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i teach high school and coach sports. i work 11 hours a day because money, but I mostly like my job. Also saturdays for minimum 3 hours, maximum 12. Usually around 6 or 7. Also doing things Sunday to get ready for the week. I wake up at 5:30 and get home between 6 and 6:30.

Thank god i don't like my job if it leads to this absolute madness

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

the problem is that I get home, walk dogs, make dinner, make the next days lunch

then the crucial decision: go to bed and feel good next day, or stay up to do fun things but feel like poo poo next day.

it's kind of a lot.

at least for july and august I do nothing but smoke weed, go fishing, and cook large elaborate meals.

Sure I had that issue in my 20s, in my 40s I take sleep every day. Only 8 hours tho.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I work a remote tech job from about 7am to... well, it's 13 and a half hours later and my overseas counterparts are still pinging me, so until now. And I recently started tutoring high school students online in the evenings so sometimes my night is over at 10 or 11 (because these are kids who need help mostly after THEY get home from their after school jobs...)

THANK GOD WORK GIVE OUR LIVES MEANING, RIGHT? RIGHT??

But seriously, tutoring these kids is really awesome and rewarding and I hope they grow up to make the world a better place. If I had the wherewithal to shift careers into teaching, I'd probably do it.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

it's kind of a lot.

lol this loving sucks, stop doing like half of it

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I worked close to 48 hours in a row once. I did take a nap or two for a couple hours, but never left the building. No clean clothes, no tooth brush, for two days.

It was a massive tech failure in the product line and I and the techs had to solve it. It wasn't a question; millions of dollars in contracts were on the line.

We had four different test beds going. In Circuit Testing, Diagnostics, Functional/System, and On-Going Reliabilty Testing; a huge heat bay to cook the boards and see if they held up. We were punishing the circuit boards to find the point of failure. Test results needed to be checked every couple of hours. The diagnostics alone we were running 1000 iterations at a time. We started shifts where one of us slept for an hour, in the conference rooms because it was midnight and no one else was there. The other techs would monitor the testing and document results.

It was kind of cool? It was the first time I used my seniority privilege and had several pizzas and salads delivered and was able to expense it out. Two techs hung out the whole time. Called their wives, "honey I'm working late." One tech had to go home eventually at 2 AM. She had kids to take care of and get them to school that next day. She was back at 8AM the next morning though.

We busted it though. It was some stupid memory chip thing; but it took us forever to isolate it and then start fixing the boards. But yeah, a good two days.

I did submit the team for bonuses and we got them. About $500 each, which was nice in that we had just kept a product line that shipped well over a million dollars a day up and running.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I was going to say, do you really teach physical activities? Then I decided to renounce that, because you seem cool, and your long days sound like they suck. I'm glad you like your job and I am sorry you have so little free time, OP.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

you're probably going to get burned out and switch careers like half of all teachers end up doing

stop doing so much

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I work as a remote computer toucher for a local government. I consider any day where I get 5 actual honest hours of work done a good day. I rarely work after 3 PM. At least twice a month I spend an entire day running errands and cooking at home while "on the clock". I consider this alright so long as I'm available by phone. Every time I have a performance review my boss makes vague gestures at how I don't get work done very quickly, and I ask if he'll be a reference on my next job application, which settles the issue until the next review.

One time we had a problem with a thing and I stayed in the office until 7 PM to fix it. The director of the entire department pulled me aside the next day to commend me on how much of a hard-working rockstar I was. I loving love working in government, there's zero ambition involved from anyone.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
a long day for me is when i skip the afternoon nap in favor of more weed and video games

also teachers should be paid more than cops

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I work for myself nowadays which means my schedule constantly waffles between a) do jack poo poo and play video games all day or b) work 36 hours straight and wonder if going back to the corporate world would make me suffer less.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I subsist off the thin algal film that grows on river rocks

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I work like max 0-90 minutes a day but the pay is not great so I'm trying to get a second job at the same or higher salary while keeping the first job again.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I once went to an interview and asked about how the organization promotes work-life balance. Their response was that it wasn't so much "work-life balance" but "work-life integration", which, woooooof

They mysteriously cancelled the follow-up interview a couple days later and I've never heard back as to why

Their Glassdoor reviews are a nightmare between 1-5s with no in-between. I tend to trust the 1s

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
EMS, 12 hour shifts except you never finish on time because 5 minutes before you clock out you will be sent on a call that will take 3 hours to complete.
Yay 15 hour shifts + commute.
It's one of the only jobs in the world where you start to get more anxious closer to finish time.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I did 4 days of physical work fairly recently with only a couple of hour long naps. Took me a couple of months to recover.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Real Amethyst posted:

EMS, 12 hour shifts except you never finish on time because 5 minutes before you clock out you will be sent on a call that will take 3 hours to complete.
Yay 15 hour shifts + commute.
It's one of the only jobs in the world where you start to get more anxious closer to finish time.

It's the same with doctors and nurses.

Working arguably the most important members of society ragged is a hell of a plan.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
nurses get to gently caress and do drugs

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I work in finance and generally work somewhere around 50 hrs a week. I’m not required to and it’s self-imposed, but it takes me longer to produce good work and I don’t want to produce bad work. The flip side is I set my own hours and can just up and leave to go run errands or whatever I want, and since I’m salaried I can work the very occasional 30 hour week or something and still get paid the same.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I work a 9 to 6 basically being the face of quality at my medical company. Monday through Friday, overtime has to be approved but not mandatory, and the pay is excellent.

Only problem is that its in a boring office and that is usually 60% of my work day making spreadsheets and signing documents on adobe.

But the rest is making sure at home Covid / other medical kits are properly made during production and designing the build of materials on how to build the things. It's fun. I love it.

Enoch Root
Aug 28, 2007
I am a union journeyman plumber/gasfitter doing new construction downtown in a large Canadian city. I work 6-215 M-F unless I am offered OT (which I gladly take because money).

I'm home by 2:30 every day.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I do long work days/weeks because I am paid hourly and the money is too stupid good to not do it. I just had to purposefully take a three-day weekend to use up my personals before they renew. I like my job and I do all kinds of stuff on company time. When I was second shift, I learned the flute and Spanish on their time.

When I got out of college, I worked in the communications department of a large-ish nonprofit and regularly worked 40-hour weeks writing press releases & features and then would work Friday to Sunday at events like bike tours and those massive fundraising walks (no overtime). In addition to that, I was freelance writing and doing web design for clients to help pay my bills. Eventually, I got into startups where I really got to work long, thankless hours and eventually I was working at startups while working as a second shift janitor hoping it panned out- while also still writing and doing web design to eat. I basically lost my 20s and early 30s to the hustle and grind mindset because "all this work now will pay off later". All I got was a $5k bill for a photocopier I co-signed on because I was a partner in a digital ad firm and they burned me after I left.

Honestly wish someone would have told me that building automation, commercial HVAC or being an iron worker was so much fun. I wouldn't have gone to college.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I work 12 hour shifts in a pot shop by myself. My boss tells me to clean and do inventory during the down time put i just shitpost instead

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'd do a 24 hour work day if it gave me the next 6 days off

runnypoops posted:

I work 12 hour shifts in a pot shop by myself. My boss tells me to clean and do inventory during the down time put i just shitpost instead

You fool, smash the pots for the valuable Gemstones within and cash out

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
I work 37 hours, 5 days a week from 8-15.30. I have around 2900 dollars each month,after taxes to spend on kids/house etc.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
All through the pandemic, I worked from 7 AM to 8 PM, six days a week and often seven. I honestly was so unaffected by quarantine that I felt guilty. Or would have, had I been able to feel anything anymore.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I only post on the clock, stop scabbing your local posters union

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
My boss once asked me to work late but i live in a sane country so my union had him killed