Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Woo!!! NaNoWriMo!!

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/leng

It is going to be magical school faculty drama with a blockchain based magic system. Outlining has started but I'm very far from done on planning.

I am both pumped and also petrified at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

limaCAT posted:

I'm adding you all.

:same:

limaCAT posted:

Your page gives me a 404, I don't want to be kept out from harry blockchain and the server room of secrets…

:confused: worked fine for me, but I had to be logged in? Anyway, I added you so hopefully that should fix it.

Also it's probably gonna be more like Severus Snape and the Order of Blockchain, which now that I think about it, is a great way to explain what I'm trying to write - thank you!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Wayfaring Stranger posted:

How do y'all outline your work?

What outlining formats have worked for you folks in the past? Not just NaNoWriMo winners, but everyone who is able to sit down and hammer out prose from notes.

I'm copying Brandon Sanderson. I use a combination of Brandon Sanderson's methods which involves planning the world fairly extensively, the plot at a high level and then discovery writing the characters (promise/progress/payoff for multiple plot threads, including character/relationship arcs) and organizing it all using the MICE quotient, which was covered in a guest lecture by Mary Robinette Kowal.

You can check out my CC thread for my NaNoWriMo project last year if you want the blow by blow, including the outline itself and how the writing turned out:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944117

kaom posted:

I knew my first attempt at long form fiction was probably going to be trash no matter what so I just planned to stomach a rewrite from the outset.

newts posted:

Kaom, your first novel is not trash! Not even close!

As someone who is posting a Let's Read of actual trash, I can definitively say kaom's first novel is very much NOT trash.

Leng fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 17, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

HIJK posted:

Opinions time: does outlining count towards your word count?

Not looking for a definitive answer, just want to know your opinions. Personally I think it does.

As I understand the spirit of NaNo, any words written during November counts, including outlines!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
And over here in Aus, I'm calling it for today at 5,084 words. I could probably go for more, but I kind of need to stop and work on other stuff, plus ponder a few things in my outline.

I am livestreaming everything as I write over on my YouTube channel if anyone wants to drop in and write in real time with a buddy (or just :munch: while I string terrible words together in a terrible mess) https://www.youtube.com/c/PaperTigerProductions

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
6102 for Day 2!

I now understand how the peeps doing monster word counts last year were getting there...or at least, I've worked out what works for me. Apparently that's share my screen on a livestream so I know internet strangers are watching and therefore I have no option other than to keep writing. As long as I give myself permission to use placeholders in the prose and write insulting notes about my own writing in the margin, my brain can apparently keep going.

Brains are weird.

Cephas posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but anyone have recommendations for resources on medieval combat techniques and tactics?

You need Shadversity: https://www.youtube.com/user/shadmbrooks

He's a medieval weapons/culture/life geek, an author in his own right and he acted as a historical consultant on Brandon Sanderson's Rhythm of War for all of the stuff with Adolin and swords and general combat stuff.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
My pace is slowing down as I hit "??? thar be dragons" gaps in my world building. 3296 words today and I'm exhausted because I couldn't stop reading Cradle. Argh.

newts posted:

Okay, so I wrote about 300 words. But, to be fair, I also wrote two exams :rolleyes:

Exam writing is the hardest and most difficult kind of writing so I'm quite frankly amazed you were able to pull out 300 words.

Nettle Soup posted:

This one's for Leng. Brickwrath is just an old dude who has done his time in the royal engineers and now just wants to nap and make ceramic gargoyles. He refuses to tell me why he changed his name. He's not even old, he's like 34!

He might be a gargoyle?

:swoon: would read, please post in the fiction farm to table crits thread or your own CC thread if you're comfortable once the story is done!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Sub 3k words today as I struggle with scenes that contain more than 2 characters interacting at a time plus fight/action sequences :(

Nettle Soup posted:

I don't feel up to linking it to everyone, because I'm aware it's incredibly boring and nothing happens. But I sent you a link!

Got it! Will check it out! :)

Cephas posted:

Finished page 12. In an act of supreme silliness, I'm writing entirely analog--either with a notebook and pen or with a manual typewriter. It's definitely not efficient to use a typewriter (it might actually be even slower than handwriting?), but there's something about having a stack of A4 paper, all numbered at the top right corner, gradually accumulating in size each day. It really makes each page feel like a tangible accomplishment.

I need to know: how are you avoiding hand cramps?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Yikes! Get well soon.

2064 words for me today, because I'm now in the middle of a massive brawl scene and trying to figure out how magic works with fighting in this world, also I have no practical fighting experience outside of paint ball, laser tag and nerf archery so

newts posted:

In other news, my daughter is in the Young Writers Program (as part of a before-school club) and is crushing her word count goals :love:

Chernobyl Princess posted:

That's awesome, I can't wait until my kid is old enough to do things like that!

:same:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

DropTheAnvil posted:

How "Rough" are ya all words? Like, I can understand what I'm trying to write, but I'm sure if I gave it to someone else it they wouldn't understand it.

Pretty rough. I have placeholders all over the place, but it'd probably be understandable to a third party, simply due to the sheer volume of comments on the side of the document where I spell out what I'm trying to do.

Finally got to the end of my brawl scene, which puts the whole chapter at 5200 words flat, and 22.5k words overall. I'm gonna be so happy when I get over that 25k milestone.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Failed to get over 25k today, by less than 500 words. Feeling weirdly disappointed in myself, even though I wasn't anticipating doing 2.5k words today. I was supposed to write a short 700-800 word denouement scene for the brawl, which has now turned into a ~2000 word scene in a tavern (~700 of those on food) with no end in sight.

I do not like this discovery writing business.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Today I closed off the final scene at the Act I break into II part of the story and it took ~8 hours to write a ~4k behemoth of an emotional scene that caps off two previous scenes that advancing a romantic subplot that I had never planned in the first place.

Just :wtf: why do these things keep happening.

How do folks who normally discovery write stay sane?

This story was supposed to be a progression fantasy and now it has morphed into something that very much doesn't feel like progression fantasy and isn't magic school fantasy either but the story doesn't feel big enough to qualify as epic fantasy right now so I'm very much feeling like I've screwed up this whole "write to market" thing.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Just shy of 45k words :woop: I'm gonna cross 50k soon, I can feel it! (and then...I've got at least another 50k to go to wrap up this story)

DropTheAnvil posted:

Watching as your characters naturally grow, and respond to the crazy things that you throw at them, is a lot of fun. It's in the edits and revisions you can fine tune things, remove things that just didn't work.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

This is the bonus of discovery writing for me, as if I'd stuck with my old, strict outlines, then maybe I could have had a final draft finished and ready to shop by now, but it would have bothered the hell out of me if I hadn't addressed my qualms with the story as I wrote it by exploring it in different ways.

I'm certainly feeling this, because there are scenes and chapters that have turned out really well that I never would have been able to outline my way to in the first place.

newts posted:

You shouldn’t feel bad about having to go back through later and remove stuff that grew out of control. It’s not fun, but it happens a lot.

Whenever I start writing without a plan, things tend to get dark and twisted way too fast.
It is really interesting to see the kind of things that pop up unplanned. I don't even read romance so I'm kind of wondering what this says about me as a writer that romance stuff keeps coming up. :confused:

Nettle Soup posted:

Post your muse.

Cute dogs in this thread! I gotta balance this out:

This is the star of my livestreams. He spends most of his time out of frame as pictured, but generally shows up at least once per stream to try and steal my food, get tangled up in my earbuds, block my view of the screen, add unsolicited edits to my scenes and also nibble on me if I'm too slow in giving head/chin scratches. What a royal pain in the backside.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Cross posting this from the fiction writing advice thread for any other planners who are absolutely losing it because you've run out of outlining time and you're being forced to discovery write your way through to the end:

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

One of the things I've found with novel writing is that characters are disobedient and outlines rarely hold together when things hit the road BUT also that your best material often comes out of being forced to adapt to something unexpected

My latest update: I spent Chapter 9 getting to know character A, got attached, got to the part in my outline where I have to kill off a character next, which was originally supposed to be character B that has appeared on screen but we haven't gotten to know him, then realized that it would work much better if I killed character A because I'd just spent a whole chapter developing his relationship with the POV character and that would be a punch in the gut and also because character A was conveniently situated so that it was much easier to kill him off compared to finding an organic way to get character B in the scene to be killed.

:rip: to character A. I feel very bad but somebody had to die to raise the stakes and unfortunately, my discovery writing brain overruled my outline and said it was you.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I have spent three days being totally and completely stuck on my second act, with blank outline for my third act.

Yesterday after writing some truly horrible horrible words that I don't know what to do with and are very broken, I gave up and started moving all of my world building notes out of my Google Doc and into a Tiddly Wiki so I could actually find things in it. I also spent a bunch of time trying to map my outline using a modified version of this MICE Quotient/Save the Cat template in an effort to troubleshoot where I was going wrong.

I ended up with a version that would probably have worked, but it would have turned out to be minimum 100k words and could easily balloon out to 250k words depending on how many plot elements and characters got introduced. Considering that's totally unfeasible for self-publishing and also unachievable by the end of the year, I decided to go the other way and try scaling the story down by shoving the elements I had planned for Act II and Act III into sequels instead.

I think I now have an outline of a much smaller, more personal story, that ought to wrap up around 75,000 words, max. I'm at 58.5k words now, and they're roughly split 38.7k book 1 and 19.8k book 2. That means:

1. Relative to the goal of having a completed full novel that's 75k words long: there's roughly 36.3k words to flesh out and finish off the rest of book 1, so I'll need to write something like 4k words/day until the end of November. That's not outside the realms of possibility, as 10 out of the 21 days so far have been 3k+ word days for me, so as long as I have a good idea of what my scenes are, I should be ok.

2. Relative to my original goal of 75k words during November: if I count my book 2 words as well, then I have another 16.5k to do over the remaining 9 days which is a little over 1.8k words per day and very achievable now that I know where I should be going.

3. Relative to the goal of hitting 50k words for one story: 11.3k to go on book 2, which is just under 1.3k words per day. I've only had 1 day (yesterday) where I've been sub 1.3k words for a day of writing so that should be very doable.

All of that said, revision is going to be an absolute mess. Oh well, that is a problem for future me. Here's hoping that I don't get stuck again!!!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE!

Leng posted:

1. Relative to the goal of having a completed full novel that's 75k words long: there's roughly 36.3k words to flesh out and finish off the rest of book 1, so I'll need to write something like 4k words/day until the end of November. That's not outside the realms of possibility, as 10 out of the 21 days so far have been 3k+ word days for me, so as long as I have a good idea of what my scenes are, I should be ok.

2. Relative to my original goal of 75k words during November: if I count my book 2 words as well, then I have another 16.5k to do over the remaining 9 days which is a little over 1.8k words per day and very achievable now that I know where I should be going.

3. Relative to the goal of hitting 50k words for one story: 11.3k to go on book 2, which is just under 1.3k words per day. I've only had 1 day (yesterday) where I've been sub 1.3k words for a day of writing so that should be very doable.

All of that said, revision is going to be an absolute mess. Oh well, that is a problem for future me. Here's hoping that I don't get stuck again!!!

1. I have outlined all 9 scenes in the murder mystery arc that I've added which is probably another 18k words, give or take. There's a few other scattered character scenes I need to flesh out, so I'm feeling good on this point - this revised version of the story is definitely manageable in around 75k words.

2. Passed 75k this morning! :woop: :dance: :woop:

3. Annnnd I didn't think to add it up until just now, but I have hit 49k words for just Book 1 alone so gonna hit 50k for it tomorrow. :toot:

Xalidur posted:

I've also only written 2.5 chapters out of 16 or so, so this is going to be a really damned long book.

I feel you, my fellow writer with long chapters my first two chapters came in at 14,470 words :aaa: :hf: :aaa: I do not know how my chapters end up this long, only that they do and also that shorter chapters feel weird and incomplete to me.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Congrats to all winners!!

I have ended up with 91,835 total, split 71,967 to book 1 and 19,886 to book 2.

Didn't clear all 3 of my goals, but 2 out of 3 is a majority so I'll take it:

75k total :)
50k on 1 book :) and
75k to finish the book :( I've still got at least 2 chapters to go so it's gonna wind up at close to 90-100k...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
July is almost upon us, which means Camp NaNoWriMo time.

Anyone else doing this? I've got to write the sequel to my NaNoWriMo 2021 project so I'm in with a goal of 80k words. I do not know if I'm gonna hit it, since July also happens to be the school holidays...