Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My idea does come from a place of passion but I won't lie and say that I haven't seen a marketing angle for this project:

"Preteen and teen girls like YA fantasy novels. Preteen and teen girls like anime. What if there was a YA fantasy novel that was anime-esque?"

So I'm not denying that there isn't going to be at least a little anime in this, I just don't want to go full:

quote:

Name-kun left her house with a slice of toasted loaf between her teeth, due to her hands being full of daikatana and wakizashi, and a bo-staff strapped across her back.

'Wahhh, I'm going to be late for my first day of bladecraft," Name moaned. This morning was not going according to keikaku.

...that.

And there's some other influences, Journey to the West is a pretty solid one as well. I have an Appeal I'm going for, but I don't want to alienate other audiences with too many Gratuitous Weeb Words like "doki-doki" and "kokoro" and so on and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
there are like a million ya novels that are basically just anime with strong internal monologues and through a western cultural lens already im pretty sure

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Yeah your idea sounds perfectly fine and doable, but if you're looking at the specific marketing angle of "this is like anime, like the teens watch", how much of the current crop of YA books and anime have you gone through? It's a good idea if you're writing with an eye for being published to read the stuff that's currently out there in that market.

More broadly I think you're going to be fine? You're worrying about your book coming off as "too weeby" so you've already got some level of self-awareness, and that's probably going to keep you from the most stereotypical stuff. And if you don't want it to feel like an anime then don't....write it...like that? There's not really a better answer I can give on a broad strokes level. Until there's some actual text to talk about I don't know that you'll get better advice than "if you don't want it that way don't do it that way".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alrighty, thanks for that. I might make a thread and start posting sections in a few days or so, I'll let you know about it then.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
This is my advice for anyone who wants to write in a particular genre for the first time: read some works in the genre you want to write in first. Learn who the big names are, the tropes and conventions, so you can market yourself (readers like books that are "perfect for fans of" other works and authors, and so publishers like them too) and make sure you're not reinventing the wheel. Luckily, Asian YA has been having A Moment lately, so I don't think you'll have a lot of trouble finding examples. On the other hand, because there's so much already out there, you may have trouble standing out unless you can put a unique spin on the genre.

Also, are you Asian? Because if not, writing Asian settings is a risky move because you may get criticized for spreading hurtful stereotypes and appropriating Asian culture. The less deep knowledge and understanding you have of the culture, the greater the chance you'll accidentally reproduce harmful tropes. If you still want to go through with it, I suggest doing lots of research into Japanese culture at the very least; ideally you'll have paid Japanese sensitivity readers looking over the manuscript before final publication. Of course, if you are Asian, you can disregard this whole paragraph!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, I already am moderately aware of YA fantasy, I was quite the Percy Jackson fan back in the day, and I read Deltora Quest as I mentioned.

I am white, but I am staying aware of stereotypes. The whole 'don't say "'Samurai' or 'Ninja' or 'Shogun'" was part of trying to avoid the obvious national stereotypes, and I'm avoiding the "Japanese people are nerds" part by just... having a cast of characters with variable intelligence, but I realize I have blind spots and I'll definitely try and seek out some people who can help me with this.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

It would also help to just imagine what a character lives like. What would their home look like, what would they do when they wake up, what their average day is spent doing, etc. If they're a commoner addressing a person of higher status, how would they talk to that person if there were no honorifics? Don't be afraid to write test scenes that won't necessarily make it into a finished novel. A lot of world-building happens where the reader can't see.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I would also like to provide Relatable Writing Memes:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Here's my thread. I'll try to start assisting with critiques and questions where I can to get that Cred that will get people to critique me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984147

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Junpei posted:

I would also like to provide Relatable Writing Memes:

The third one's dialogue sounds like every conversation I've heard in media for the past 6 years.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

D34THROW posted:

Anyone ever successfully written a short story (or short story series) or novel (or novel series) using an RPG system to determine the flow of things? Basically playing, say GURPS, against yourself. I'm thinking of doing so because I've tried collaborative writing before and I really like the unpredictability of it, so I'm thinking RPGs as a guide might be a way to incorporate that into my writing proper.
Late but I've been trying this out recently: I create a setting, port it into whatever system the group play, then just let them loose and see how they interact with it. One of the things I've found with novel writing is that characters are disobedient and outlines rarely hold together when things hit the road BUT also that your best material often comes out of being forced to adapt to something unexpected, and RPGs are just like, a supercharged version of that, because players' minds are so much more outside your control than characters'.

Junpei posted:

My idea does come from a place of passion but I won't lie and say that I haven't seen a marketing angle for this project:

"Preteen and teen girls like YA fantasy novels. Preteen and teen girls like anime. What if there was a YA fantasy novel that was anime-esque?"

So I'm not denying that there isn't going to be at least a little anime in this, I just don't want to go full:

...that.

And there's some other influences, Journey to the West is a pretty solid one as well. I have an Appeal I'm going for, but I don't want to alienate other audiences with too many Gratuitous Weeb Words like "doki-doki" and "kokoro" and so on and so forth.
I believe Patrice Caldwell is super into Journey to the West and handles YA, she's definitely worth a ping when you get around to querying. I don't wanna push to NOT embrace the anime thing (there's definitely a market and appeal to some agents) but having a counterpoint from classical literature is really strong. My general rule with stuff like anime has been like, it's cool that it influences you but I want to see it's not the only thing that influences you. There's definitely an angle there, "this is for people who love anime but I also know my poo poo c.f. prose fiction and I'm bridging the gap between two things I love while smartly getting rid of the poo poo that doesn't work."

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 16, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Thanks. I'll definitely keep that name in mind.

Also, here's something #relatable.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Junpei posted:

Thanks. I'll definitely keep that name in mind.

This is exactly me but applied to whole books and minus the rough draft step.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Fate Accomplice posted:

This is exactly me but applied to whole books and minus the rough draft step.

This would be me except add another orthogonal line for how well the spin off satire novel is doing in comparison.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

My general rule with stuff like anime has been like, it's cool that it influences you but I want to see it's not the only thing that influences you. There's definitely an angle there, "this is for people who love anime but I also know my poo poo c.f. prose fiction and I'm bridging the gap between two things I love while smartly getting rid of the poo poo that doesn't work."

This is why I think Will Wight is doing so well as a self-published author with Cradle. You can see the wuxia/xianxia influences very clearly, but he's melded it with his other influences and produced something that is brilliantly written.

Junpei posted:

Absolutely me, and you can see me flail around through this chart in real time if you jump into my writing livestreams.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The worst thing about querying is the wait.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I can honestly say that the wait was the easiest part for me. There’s absolutely nothing you can do to alter the outcome once that query leaves your hands. Relax and vibe: whatever’s gonna happen next is out of your control. Forget the query entirely. Become a sacred void

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Oof, I feel attacked.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Those are really relatable. I used to think I constantly needed to revise and perfect my short stories, and then I would remember that people would pack convention rooms for old bad webcomic creators, so gently caress it, here's a rushed short story about the Red Army circa 1955 encountering aliens.

I have to admit I also started going to more hugbox-y writing communities, which I know isn't always the best idea, but it was nice to just occasionally get a "hey! I read it! I was entertained!" response instead of immediate, soul-crushing (though often helpful) nitpicking from every reader. It mainly just motivated to put myself out there more. I now prefer to do feedback for story swapping in voice channels. The type of exchanges that go:

"Hey, is this part really necessary?"
"Oh, it's a foreshadowing or theming moment that comes up here, here, and here in the story."
"Ok, tight, I'll keep that in mind."

Are way easier to deal with as a verbal conversation rather than as a series of forum posts that take place over several days.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Writing LitRPG with GURPS...no weather tables. So what am I doing? Looking at overall weather in Utah at seasonal sample points to create my own weather tables.

I swear, worldbuilding is just as much fun if not more than writing itself. I wrote like 70k words of worldbuilding once without even getting to the actual story.

EDIT: Or I could just go gently caress it and actually have a date in my head for the story and sample historical data for that date. WeatherSpark seems to have the data I'm after, more or less. I just need a starting point, my readers don't need the exact loving weather station data.

sebmojo posted:

Not with an attitude like that they don't

My geeky rear end does :v: That could be another Google sheet!

Honestly, I keep track of stuff myself that, if I started a Patreon, would be behind the paywall - currency weight calculators, an encounter log, creatures converted to GURPS from D&D and then converted to the postapoc world, etc. The farthest the actual website will get is the map, if someone happened to click on the "End of Chapter X" location mark and see that it has a date attached to it.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 18, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

D34THROW posted:

, my readers don't need the exact loving weather station data.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

The next day: “oh no, not like that”
One day I’ll beat my brain

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Thunderdome 2022: Write Something, Stupid

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

sebmojo posted:

drat you. I've spent the better part of this morning kludging together two new sheets - one that creates random weather data based on local averages (all manually input, I'm not that good at scraping and whatnot) from here - and another that will take that data and put it in a more user-friendly format.

General Battuta posted:

Just write the drat book

e: oh it’s a litrpg

I have enough posts queued to get me into 2022, thank you very much :v:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 19, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Just write the drat book

e: oh it’s a litrpg

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I am painfully plowing through my WIP, only 20k/100k words completed this year despite writing a 40,000-word outline, and even I recognize that getting too hung up on worldbuilding and minutiae will stop you from actually getting the thing written.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

change my name posted:

40,000-word outline,

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

That includes worldbuilding stuff in the notes on each chapter and I'm not even really sticking to it too tightly in this draft except as a loose guide. That was just to get my preliminary thoughts down and winnow out the stuff that doesn't work storywise.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Honestly I wish I had some of the worldbuilder’s disease. When someone asks to see my outline it’s just a mishmash of random notes, where “include a skeleton” is equally ranked with “these two countries have a trade agreement” or “character A tries to kill character B.”

People who do deep dives on stuff like fantasy politics and economies, what’s your secret? How do you start researching a topic you’ve decided to include? I need to do some amount of this to make my world feel real but I don’t even know where to start.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The secret is that you can deep dive as much as you want in your notes but unless it comes into play or your protagonist will see it (ie, will it ever actually come up in the book?), then you don't actually need to build out 2000 years of history beyond sketches or a basic timeline IMO. Obviously historical events influence current-day societies, religion, relationships between countries, etc, but don't kill yourself with it. It's all "forest for the trees" stuff, your characters should be the focus, not trade agreements.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

change my name posted:

The secret is that you can deep dive as much as you want in your notes but unless it comes into play or your protagonist will see it (ie, will it ever actually come up in the book?), then you don't actually need to build out 2000 years of history beyond sketches or a basic timeline IMO. Obviously historical events influence current-day societies, religion, relationships between countries, etc, but don't kill yourself with it. It's all "forest for the trees" stuff, your characters should be the focus, not trade agreements.

Yep. See, thread title.

It it's fun writing that stuff for you then fill your boots, but its not Writing Your Bok

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Yeah I have the opposite problem. But in starting to write it out just now (there was a big war in the past 100-200 years, the divisions still need to be healed between multiple countries) I think I realized that I’m basically writing the establishment of the fantasy EU, so maybe the answer is just to research that. Beyond a rough timeframe and who fought who, I don’t even have solid reasons established for why the war happened—I kind of need something for characters to feel some kind of way about that’s deeper than “we hate country x for unspecified reasons” you know?

This backing is really just there to support the characters’ journeys of learning to see things from other perspectives. That’s the part that interests me. But the world needs to support that journey in a way readers can connect with, I can’t entirely handwave the reasons there’s conflict to begin with.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

kaom posted:

Yeah I have the opposite problem. But in starting to write it out just now (there was a big war in the past 100-200 years, the divisions still need to be healed between multiple countries) I think I realized that I’m basically writing the establishment of the fantasy EU, so maybe the answer is just to research that. Beyond a rough timeframe and who fought who, I don’t even have solid reasons established for why the war happened—I kind of need something for characters to feel some kind of way about that’s deeper than “we hate country x for unspecified reasons” you know?

This backing is really just there to support the characters’ journeys of learning to see things from other perspectives. That’s the part that interests me. But the world needs to support that journey in a way readers can connect with, I can’t entirely handwave the reasons there’s conflict to begin with.

I also have a fantasy EU in my WIP, and if you can't settle on a cause for the big war, why not have every country give their own irreconilable reasons for why it happened? Fantasy Germany considered it a war of self-defense as other countries had been pushing into their borders for too long, fantasy France thinks it was started over an economic dispute, etc. That could also provide a good shorthand into the national attitudes of each.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

change my name posted:

I’ve spent the entire pandemic year inventing a conlang based on ancient Egyptian, and also actually learning ancient Egyptian… and some current Egyptian Arabic as well, and once I found myself getting lost in things like number systems and words for every aspect of alien biology and blah blah blah I was like, ok when am I ever gonna use all this?

So I’m back to working on my series, and more new words and grammar gets worked out when I actually need the words than when I’m deep-diving into minutia I’ll never ever need.

I don’t regret the time I put into the conlang or learning more about grammar and linguistics and actual human languages, and it’s made a great base for coming up with a more non-anglo future world. As well as all the time I spent on alien biologies, future techs and histories and basic details about each setting.

But drat it’s made my many novels each take forever to write. And poo poo I’ve come up with when I actually need it ends up dramatically improving any earlier worldbuilding I did.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Using GURPS for a LitRPG, boss mook just regained his composure after being shot in the leg, sighted in on one of my MC's heads just peeking over cover, and sent a lead projectile of death that way...

...and in a system where lower is better, he crits and is doing 7d6 damage plus whatever effects of a head wound. With that luck her head would pop like a melon. Guess it's time to break out the deus ex machina again.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 21, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Are we liveblogging our work now? I've got several thousand words of "UUuugGHUGHGUhGH" and "WHY NO WORD GOOD PLOT THINK WRONG CONCENTRATE" to paste in this thread each week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

D34THROW posted:

Using GURPS for a LitRPG, boss mook just regained his composure after being shot in the leg, sighted in on one of my MC's heads just peeking over cover, and sent a lead projectile of death that way...

...and in a system where lower is better, he crits and is doing 7d6 damage plus whatever effects of a head wound. With that luck her head would pop like a melon. Guess it's time to break out the deus ex machina again.

Post your own thread for this kind of thing, I think