Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Hah, I was in the middle of writing my own OP for this yesterday and glad I checked before writing the second half of it tonight.

triple sulk posted:

I don't even think the issue is about whether or not it runs forever, but that the unlimited printing only first came out three months ago after a year of not existing at all while containing a fair number of actively used staples and cards not in other sets.

At this point it feels like LSS is either directly trying to manipulate the market by creating more FOMO hype or completely clueless.

Crucible Unlimited was originally announced to be only three print runs, so this was known ahead of time. The announcement was a tad abrupt, but it wasn't out of the blue.

It sounds like it simply came at a bad time due to more people playing the game, reducing stock availability, and then it hit alongside a set release when the meta hasn't been established yet so everyone's freaking out.

It's a shame because I think the game is very enjoyable to play. If LSS is serious about the future of this game and all the new players, they'll probably announce reprints of the problem Majestic (Mythic) cards in the next supplemental set (which should be Q1 2022).

Back Alley Borks fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Tarnop posted:

The Arkham Horror LCG has over 40 unique products over the five years the game has been running and I can order the first expansion they released in early 2017 from Amazon right now. It can happen.

Letting old products go out of print just so they can be reprinted in higher priced reprint packs might be how Magic does it but that doesn't make it the only viable business model for an ongoing card game.

Point to a single competitive 1v1 LCG that's still in print.

I love the hell out of my complete Netrunner collection, but it just didn't work as a long-term model. Not even Keyforge survived.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

ShaneB posted:

It would be nice for this thread to have been created with any intent besides talking about the distribution and financial aspects, because the game is really good.

I had some of a thread for FaB written up the night before this one got posted, about purely the game itself since I've loved playing it. I contacted mods and they said I could still post mine, but nobody else here seemed interested in talking about the actual game so I didn't. If there's interest I'll finish it up.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Yeah, that's why I didn't make the thread; it didn't seem like more than 3-4 posters here wanted to talk about the game. EDIT: Well, I guess there's more than just a few. I'll consider writing it again.

I'm hopeful that things will pick up because the game is very good. The investors were the majority of the people at events in my local scene until about 6 weeks ago- now it's 30 or so people who are playing the game with only a few extra cards for trade, and the investors haven't come around as much to local events as nobody wants to negotiate over $2000+ binders for hours with them. Five LGSes have picked up the game in that time frame as well, including a very well regarded MtG shop.

Boxes are selling, and while it's 100% not even close to MtG numbers we're all having fun and have a great community going. Things are in a lull right now cause of Christmas but come January I expect things to pick up again. Everyone's excited for the new set and a lot of people are getting a box or five.

It sucks that posters here seem to only focus on investment and print runs and such. As a player I've had no issues getting singles and the OOP announcements didn't impact prices for more than a week (one card, Arcanite Skullcap, went *down* from $300 to $200, due to a reprint announcement).

There definitely is financial weirdness. A few staple cards need to drop in price. Occasionally an investor comes to an event with MetaZoo cards and crypto talk which is... Extremely awkward and off-putting. But all the local players laughed at the insanity of the scam Rudy "promos" and agreed that we'd never allow them to be used in decks, even in unofficial/casual matches. It definitely sucks that there's still this shadow of TCG market manipulation garbage from all the early investment in the game, but it feels like the game is pulling away from that.

The next set will definitely be make or break though, and we'll just have to see what happens. But what do I know, I also loved Netrunner and that game died a regrettable death. If FaB dies I'll be sad, but will also not regret all the fun matches and great people I've met.

Game is good, give it a try. Starter decks are $12 and there's nothing scammy about buying a couple to have fun at a kitchen table with a friend.

Back Alley Borks fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 11, 2021

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Finster Dexter posted:

What does this entail? What are staple cards normally going for?

The two offenders right now are Command and Conquer ($85 TCGPlayer) and Enlightened Strike ($60 TCGPlayer). While that's the lowest they've been in a while, a lot of decks want three of those, which adds on a whopping $250-$450 extra for your first deck for those two cards alone. There's a few other cards that are $25-35 but are either one-ofs, or not used often (one former staple, Art of War, is now $35 due to lack of demand). Every other Majestic (Mythic) is solidly in the $3-$15 range, and Rares are cheap.

There's arguments that the two staple Legendary equipment cards ($175 and $200, respectively) need to drop. But they're one-ofs and players are hoping they'll keep dropping with reprints (one reprint is confirmed, and the other card is heavily expected to come along for the ride). I've gone undefeated in events with a cheap inferior replacement for one of them, so I personally don't see them as big of an issue. Some people say they're a huge problem, and they may be right; I personally haven't had a problem with it.

But this does mean that if you're new and add a Nationals-winning deck to your cart in TCGPlayer, you'll see a $700-$800 bill. I, everyone in my local scene, and even top players agree that's too high and are hoping LSS uses reprints in the next set to drop things down. That's where the "make or break" nature of the set I referred to comes from- it needs to lower that "up-front" cost substantially, and is very well poised to do that. All it needs is to reprint just a few cards, and one of them is already confirmed. The set will have new cards for every hero, so everyone will want it, and hopefully via that demand there will be a lot more copies of the staples floating around.

It is a lot of maybes right now, and everything could collapse if the next set sucks. There's a ban/restricted announcement in four days too, and many players are nervous. But this game is really fun, so people are still playing it despite these issues. LSS employees have been recently engaging more and more with the community in Discord servers, calling LGS owners, expanding the judge program, etc, so players are hopeful.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Jcam posted:

Since we have the go ahead from mods I’ll start whipping something up, unless someone is already on it. More than happy to take input from anyone too.

I've got like 60% of a thread written. I just haven't finished it up due to holiday delays. I'll see if I can get it out in the next couple days.

(I renamed my account; see the previous page of posts)

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

uncle blog posted:

Picked up two blitz decks yesterday. Had read a lot about the game beforehand. Was skeptical of how wordy the cards were, and how many triggers that carried from cards, meaning a lot of moving invisible parts to keep track of. Played a few matches, and my skepticism was mostly correct.

The original set (Welcome to Rathe) is a lot better about this, and definitely easier to teach. I'm hoping starter deck reprints happen next year (and I have knowledge that LSS is interested in doing so, but is waiting for something I can't talk about yet).

Ira Welcome Decks (read: stupidly basic decks) are being shipped en-masse for LGSes for free, so if you've got one nearby with FaB ask if them if they have any.

The complexity of newer sets is fun for established players, but yeah, it's a pretty hefty hurdle for new people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

The dedicated Flesh and Blood thread has been posted, you can find it over here.