Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There are zero regulations around emissions from small engines like leaf blowers and lawnmowers, so they tend to pump out high levels of truly nasty poo poo like nitrates and sulfates.

Also true of motorcycle engines I think? Something tells me putting a catalytic converter on a motorcycle would be an insurmountable challenge for modern day liberals, the senate is just too complicated to make that happen guys you don't understand how this works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I live in an insane boomer enclave due to some of the most incredible sheer dumb luck of my life and buying a fixer upper from someone who was, in retrospect, probably very mentally ill. I have been getting around having a lawn by replacing large sections of it with gardens (flowers in the front, food in the back) whenever I can. If you surround them with a stone border your neighbors will think they will look good and not be weird about it.

But anyway my neighbor, a retired brick salesman, is the crown prince of lawn guys. When COVID hit he and his wife fled from their house in Illinois to their cabin in Michigan and stayed there for almost 9 months except for twice a week when he'd drive back to the house to mow his lawn. I asked him where his cabin was once and it's at least a 4 hour round trip drive if there's no traffic.

There's also a widow a little up the street who mows her lawn at least 4x/week and runs the leaf blower almost every day from late september to whenever all the leaves are finally gone. She almost always starts at dawn, too.

It's nice having a house and I really like the town I'm in but I loving hate living like this. The suburbs are sick, sick, sick, sick, sick, sick

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

stuck with lawn after ex-gf insisted to lease a house with a lawn

landlady insists I "mow" it

what do?

Get a scythe. I'm serious.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I live in an insane boomer enclave due to some of the most incredible sheer dumb luck of my life and buying a fixer upper from someone who was, in retrospect, probably very mentally ill. I have been getting around having a lawn by replacing large sections of it with gardens (flowers in the front, food in the back) whenever I can. If you surround them with a stone border your neighbors will think they will look good and not be weird about it.

But anyway my neighbor, a retired brick salesman, is the crown prince of lawn guys. When COVID hit he and his wife fled from their house in Illinois to their cabin in Michigan and stayed there for almost 9 months except for twice a week when he'd drive back to the house to mow his lawn. I asked him where his cabin was once and it's at least a 4 hour round trip drive if there's no traffic.

There's also a widow a little up the street who mows her lawn at least 4x/week and runs the leaf blower almost every day from late september to whenever all the leaves are finally gone. She almost always starts at dawn, too.

It's nice having a house and I really like the town I'm in but I loving hate living like this. The suburbs are sick, sick, sick, sick, sick, sick

You can be a fucker and report that leaf blower lady, most places don't let loud noises before 7-8am

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

stuck with lawn after ex-gf insisted to lease a house with a lawn
b
landlady insists I "mow" it

what do?

get a used push mower for $50 and mow it, it's not a big deal lol.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Goats are good and cool

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

lil poopendorfer posted:

get a used push mower for $50 and mow it, it's not a big deal lol.
I never had good luck with these, you gotta really stay on top of mowing. If the grass gets too tall they just push it over instead of cutting it. A scythe, on the other hand, will work well with higher grass and is a lot of fun to use. Very meditative. You can pick up good quality imported Austrian blades in the usa. There's a whole scythe revival movement, google it. They rock.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

IAMKOREA posted:

I never had good luck with these, you gotta really stay on top of mowing. If the grass gets too tall they just push it over instead of cutting it.

Why do you think they call it a push mower?

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Goats are good and cool

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

lil poopendorfer posted:

You can be a fucker and report that leaf blower lady, most places don't let loud noises before 7-8am

yeah I know but I think I’m just going to go knock on her door one day and tell her I work nights or something

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

IAMKOREA posted:

I never had good luck with these, you gotta really stay on top of mowing. If the grass gets too tall they just push it over instead of cutting it. A scythe, on the other hand, will work well with higher grass and is a lot of fun to use. Very meditative. You can pick up good quality imported Austrian blades in the usa. There's a whole scythe revival movement, google it. They rock.

I have to do 2 passes but I get it pretty good once a week. Even if it's really long, i just mow it a couple days in a row. I'm probably an outlier but I like using it, it's light n quiet and trimming the grass is a nice excuse to go outside.

I've always wanted to try a scythe but don't wanna drop $100+ on something I might not like .. If I stumbled across one for cheap I'd grab it for sure though

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
My psycho neighbors in the suburbs are still mowing their lawns weekly, I can hear one now. Disturbing the peace and polluting the air, truly hosed up

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

lil poopendorfer posted:

My psycho neighbors in the suburbs are still mowing their lawns weekly, I can hear one now. Disturbing the peace and polluting the air, truly hosed up

It's November, let the grass just do whatever it wants

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I got an electric lawn mower after the one I got from my dad finally broke beyond my ability to repair it. much quieter, doesn’t stink like hell, as powerful as I’ll ever need, etc

eventually I’ll eliminate enough of my lawn to never really need to use it but in the meantime it’s a good tool

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Grow kudzu in your backyard.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

lawns are an abomination that must be obliterated and replaced with a healthy variety of native plants

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Pryor on Fire posted:

There are zero regulations around emissions from small engines like leaf blowers and lawnmowers, so they tend to pump out high levels of truly nasty poo poo like nitrates and sulfates.

Also true of motorcycle engines I think? Something tells me putting a catalytic converter on a motorcycle would be an insurmountable challenge for modern day liberals, the senate is just too complicated to make that happen guys you don't understand how this works.

Motorcycles have to meet epa emissions standards lol wtf are you on about

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

They probably heard that 2-stroke bikes exist and conflated that with weed eaters and leaf blowers having 2-stroke engines.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

aren't motorcycle and dirt bike emissions standards pretty hosed up, though? They're better on co2 because you're burning less gas per mile but in terms of everything else they're way worse, iirc

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I can't speak to that, but to me it sort of falls under the "personal responsibility" bullshit where it's technically true that some kid who overhauls an old 2-stroke bike and rides it around is certainly dumping more CO2 but that pales in comparison with gov/corp polluting which we could relatively easily improve through policy. Could, but won't.

Bringing this back around to the thread topic, anyone who messes around with a 2-stroke bike early in the morning is as much an rear end in a top hat as the weirdos who need to blow leaves or mow early. Also while I have an electric leaf blower a basic rake seems to work much better.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

oh 100%. can't fault anyone for running a gas mower because it was cheap at home depot and they'll get in trouble if their lawn gets overgrown. can't fault anyone for riding a motorcycle because it's fun and cool. both of these things could be made to be way less polluting and noisy but that policy isn't determined by voters but instead by honda usa sales reps in overpriced steakhouses with state senators

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Real thread drift here, but I want one of these stupid things even though I'm sure it suffers from the same problem electric cars do where the impact of building them negates impact of not burning gas. At least they're quieter, and instant torque is king. Anyway that's why we need to create more free public transit and destroy every lovely suburban hellmaze planned development.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

does he know he can pay a teenager like $40 to mow his lawn instead?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
I don't really get the hate for lawns they're for like outdoor activities and socializing, what's not to like. Also a good barrier against vermin entering your home.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

a lawn is a cleared perimeter around your house so you can see the 30-50 feral hogs approaching

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

A yard of indigenous trees is so much more attractive to me as someone who lives in New England than a dumb yard of grass

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

The Nastier Nate posted:

they'll gently caress up the immense ph balance i spent years accruing using a special mix of fertilizer ratio of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium super wastefully by just going to a lowe's :qq:

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Wang Commander posted:

I don't really get the hate for lawns they're for like outdoor activities and socializing, what's not to like. Also a good barrier against vermin entering your home.

In theory yes but few people seem to spend time outside on them, and the ecological effects of lawn care are pretty bad (water, herbicides, excess fertilizer)

I used weed killers ONCE and then felt like absolute poo poo after seeing a robin looking for worms through my toxic mess. I get the hate, even though I enjoy responsibly caring for my lawn (bc I am a psycho)

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i dunno just let whatever grass is native to your area grow and cut it every 2 weeks.

if you live in the dessert and can't keep a lawn sufficently watered then just astroturf it or put down some rocks

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
What if you replaced all the grass with clover?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

there’s no way that dude would trust anyone else with his lawn

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Wang Commander posted:

Counterpoint- they suck rear end OP

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
you know whats good about trees? they gently caress UP lawns

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
football? gently caress you

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
golf croquet? nuclear strike from the orbit, no debate allowed

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

i dunno just let whatever grass is native to your area grow and cut it every 2 weeks.

if you live in the dessert and can't keep a lawn sufficently watered then just astroturf it or put down some rocks

the midwest would be wild with this plan. imagine suburban psychos hacking through a foot of big bluestem with a machete once july hits.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m in the Midwest and let a big chunk of the space out behind my place fill up with native grasses. I guess you might need a machete to get through there now, but I’ve got foxes and other creatures living back by the stream and it’s way better than a vast expanse of manicured lawn. I’ve even got hawks that hang around and feast on the various rabbits and things that live in there. We need more native plants and less grotesque hyperpoisoned monoculture.

My neighbor still fertilizes and poisons his manicured lawn and rides around on a mower every week with his manboobs flapping in the breeze though, so it’s not like any battle is won.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

football and soccer would be way more fun to watch if they took place in arenas peppered with trees and had varied terrain

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

God Hole posted:

football and soccer would be way more fun to watch if they took place in arenas peppered with trees and had varied terrain

nonsense, anti-personnel landmines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Wang Commander posted:

Maybe we could invest in some kind of large public space that would have grass for activities. Some kind of large communal green space designed for recreation. But that’s impossible we just have private lawns where we put up six foot fences to pretend our neighbors don’t exist and continue to grow in fear of even seeing another human being