Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Most of them could, yes there exist some dumbass HoA that requires grass (everyone in that HOA should be guillotined and the area depopulated and returned to nature), but most places you are perfectly free to do Xenoscaping, or create a garden, or whatever.

i presuem you mean "xeroscaping"

love to send my kids out to play in gravel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

lil poopendorfer posted:

don't knock my Giger inspired yard.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

If you put glass shards on your lawn you get the xeroscape look along with a protective barrier against bandits/thieves

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the small rear end house I rent has a yard, I realized that I don't actually have to mow it I can just use the electric weed wacker that's in the garage to cut poo poo down every 2-3 weeks

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lil poopendorfer posted:

:qq: why can't I have a lawn to waste water on and disrupt the neighborhood by mowing it all the time :qq:

take your kids to a park if you want them to run around on grass

lil poopendorfer posted:

You can be a fucker and report that leaf blower lady, most places don't let loud noises before 7-8am

oh, lol, you're just delusional, okay

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the only lawn care i do is mowing it every two weeks, apparently higher grass is better able to resist drought and heat (we are in a drought in my area and just went through four or five days of 100+ temperatures) because my lawn is doing way better than some of my neighbors who keep their grass cut super short lol.

id like to xeriscape but it seems expensive? i guess the cheap version is just letting whatever old plant grow out there, i sure as poo poo am not gonna water, weed, or fertilize. we got some nice clover and flowers that come up.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

:qq: why can't I have a lawn to waste water on and disrupt the neighborhood by mowing it all the time :qq:

take your kids to a park if you want them to run around on grass

oh, lol, you're just delusional, okay

I don’t water my lawn ever and I mow it w a push mower … stay mad :smuggo:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m trying to convince my dad to replace his lawn with field turf so it requires no water/maintenance but my nephew can still play on it but so far it isn’t working

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
gently caress lawns

my backyard looks like this after 2 years of not giving a gently caress

summer one was dominated by a crazy insane-o crop of jimsonweed, a zillion lil white trumpets and then crazy spikepods

summer two was hosed up by having to re-drill a well and poison half of it, got some tall grasses out back, went to town with some local wildflower seed blends

this year we've got at least 10 different wildflowers, a healthy mix of sedges, etc etc it owns.

we also have fireflies, thousands of them. beetles, craneflies, thin waisted wasps, wolf spiders, four or five species of jumping spiders, crickets, katydids, robberflies, dobsonflies, ten types of ants, european hornets, carpenter and bumblebees, a gorillion different skippers/moths/butterflies

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The grass on my lawn is dying and going to poo poo in a lot of spots because

A. The previous owners of this house didn't take care of it and rarely cleaned up after their dogs properly (wtf)

B. The loving drought

I just want the front of my house to look normal with normal rear end grass

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Good soup! posted:

The grass on my lawn is dying and going to poo poo in a lot of spots because

A. The previous owners of this house didn't take care of it and rarely cleaned up after their dogs properly (wtf)

B. The loving drought

I just want the front of my house to look normal with normal rear end grass

Have you considered that grass looks like poo poo op

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
put in a bunch of raised garden beds

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lawns loving suck

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

gently caress lawns

summer one was dominated by a crazy insane-o crop of jimsonweed, a zillion lil white trumpets and then crazy spikepods

summer two was hosed up by having to re-drill a well and poison half of it, got some tall grasses out back, went to town with some local wildflower seed blends

this year we've got at least 10 different wildflowers, a healthy mix of sedges, etc etc it owns.

we also have fireflies, thousands of them. beetles, craneflies, thin waisted wasps, wolf spiders, four or five species of jumping spiders, crickets, katydids, robberflies, dobsonflies, ten types of ants, european hornets, carpenter and bumblebees, a gorillion different skippers/moths/butterflies

Now THATS a lawn! Nice job man. You should get a scythe for if you ever want to cut it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my condo/townhome HOA is starting to transition all our kentucky bluegrass to fine fescue. It will only need to be watered and mowed pretty infrequently, which will save us a lot of money - with drought becoming more common, turf grass has become more untenable. We are also leaving large parts of our grass unmowed for several months at a time, especially the parts that aren't very visible from the street. We will also be switching to native plantings - whatever dumbass designed the landscaping must have thought we would have an army of professional gardens, because it's full of non-native plantings that are a pain in the rear end to deal with. We also have those amur maples that spread everywhere.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

gently caress lawns

I'm guessing you aren't in a city that has mowing regulations? i.e. the grass can't exceed X inches in height

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/kvnrogan/status/1550134429841952772?s=20&t=7-YnP6BJG8I2li9Ay7KHpw

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't remotely have the heart to read those comments

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
lol xeriscaping doesn't mean you have a rocky yard

The idea is that you just grow things that don't need water from you, meaning whatever's native to your climate or at least happy enough to live in it. You see the rocky lawn poo poo because people decided to build houses in places that are dry as gently caress.

You can "xeriscape" without gravel or mulch and you can even have turf-like ground cover assuming you don't live in a shithole where you need to irrigate your lawn to keep it from dying.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i look out the window, i see green stuff. global warming is a lie. nothing about american lifestyles is unsustainable.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My yard is hosed UP from this drought:rip:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
my meadow has several milkweed plants and we got da early monarchs coming through this week, at least five or six that I’ve seen

just lmoa if you are legally enjoined against doing whatever the gently caress you want with the biosphere of property that you own. pathetic. think harder. plant a low ground cover if you have height regulations

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'm in the process of digging a giant trench in my back yard to install some drainage so I can turn my entire front yard into a massive rain garden

Otherwise the back yard is well on its way to becoming fully gardenized

victory against my lawn is at hand

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Good soup! posted:

My yard is hosed UP from this drought:rip:

same, oh well i gave it all I could which wasn't much because gently caress lawns

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

lil poopendorfer posted:

i had a rock yard for awhile as a kid and it owned. all my legos were mars astronauts. sometimes the big boulders were spaceships, sometimes mountains i explored. sorry about your ruminating kids or whatever

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Breakfast All Day posted:

i had a rock yard for awhile as a kid and it owned. all my legos were mars astronauts. sometimes the big boulders were spaceships, sometimes mountains i explored. sorry about your ruminating kids or whatever

When you're a kid you can make fun out of everything. I used to fly lego space ships along the wall of the driveway like it was the Death Star trench.

At some point, my dad pulled up a stump and let it just hang out there in the yard for, what seemed like a long time when I was 10. The roots of that stump was everything from a giant space monster to an alien planet, to a jungle, whatever I felt like it was that day.

If anything grass tends to be the least fun thing to play on as a kid, because it's so boring.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DT886VUvPk&t=78s

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

At some point, my dad pulled up a stump and let it just hang out there in the yard for, what seemed like a long time when I was 10. The roots of that stump was everything from a giant space monster to an alien planet, to a jungle, whatever I felt like it was that day.

lmao same except I named the stump 'Midgar' and built a whole dilapidated lego city underneath the stump. when I showed it to my stepdad he asked why there were people living in the dark underneath the city and I told him "those are the slums" before I even knew what that word meant

my stepdad: :catstare:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

God Hole posted:

lmao same except I named the stump 'Midgar' and built a whole dilapidated lego city underneath the stump. when I showed it to my stepdad he asked why there were people living in the dark underneath the city and I told him "those are the slums" before I even knew what that word meant

Sounds like you did know what it meant

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

if it was called "Peach Trees" in Final Fantasy 7 then that's what I would have named my lego underworld

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it wouldn't be a weekend without the restful drone of a chorus of small two stroke engines moving dust and formerly sequestered carbon from one place to a slightly different place

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it wouldn't be a weekend without the restful drone of a chorus of small two stroke engines moving dust and formerly sequestered carbon from one place to a slightly different place

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

thank gently caress for noise cancelling headphones, the only thing keeping me on the edge of sanity

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I grew up in Californias south central valley where it gets ~10 inches of rain a year and most of my life we had a large, manicured lawn on an acre. When the drought got bad our well went dry and thankfully our neighbor let us use his well for the few months it took to get another drilled. They prioritized the fruit trees and let the lawn die.

This experience shocked my parents enough that when they moved and built their next house they made sure they were on city water and didn't bother with a lawn at all. Theyve got a nice hillside with a bunch of drought tolerant trees and shrubs, tons of free mulch, and a rain catchment system with an underground tank to get the most of the winter rains. They had code enforcement come thinking they were installing septic within city limits and my dad had to show the guy how its all routed

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

titty_baby_ posted:

I grew up in Californias south central valley where it gets ~10 inches of rain a year and most of my life we had a large, manicured lawn on an acre. When the drought got bad our well went dry and thankfully our neighbor let us use his well for the few months it took to get another drilled. They prioritized the fruit trees and let the lawn die.

This experience shocked my parents enough that when they moved and built their next house they made sure they were on city water and didn't bother with a lawn at all. Theyve got a nice hillside with a bunch of drought tolerant trees and shrubs, tons of free mulch, and a rain catchment system with an underground tank to get the most of the winter rains. They had code enforcement come thinking they were installing septic within city limits and my dad had to show the guy how its all routed

your dad sounds cool

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

God Hole posted:

Was he in AVALANCHE

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Smythe posted:

your dad sounds cool

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

So a disk golf course?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYdLfkJcfok

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I saw some lady with dozens of bottles of aqua-loving-fina lined up along her lawn, and she was filling a watering can with one then watering her lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ikanreed posted:

I saw some lady with dozens of bottles of aqua-loving-fina lined up along her lawn, and she was filling a watering can with one then watering her lawn.

lmao