Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

ikanreed posted:

I saw some lady with dozens of bottles of aqua-loving-fina lined up along her lawn, and she was filling a watering can with one then watering her lawn.

ikanreed posted:

I saw some lady with dozens of bottles of aqua-loving-fina lined up along her lawn, and she was filling a watering can with one then watering her lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
What's the big deal it's just tap water

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ikanreed posted:

ideal

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It's got what plants crave

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ikanreed posted:

Is she single

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

The more I think about it, the more I agree with this. Imagine if golf-courses, home-owners with lawns and private for-profit farms, had to pay like $4/gallon to waste water? I say if they are willing to pay, then they should be able to have as luscious of lawns as they like. Meanwhile obviously state-owned and communal farms, parks, and other public spaces will still pay the normal rate of 1 cent per thousand gallons or whatever it is.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkLehdvhMNA

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Gunshow Poophole posted:

gently caress lawns

my backyard looks like this after 2 years of not giving a gently caress

summer one was dominated by a crazy insane-o crop of jimsonweed, a zillion lil white trumpets and then crazy spikepods

summer two was hosed up by having to re-drill a well and poison half of it, got some tall grasses out back, went to town with some local wildflower seed blends

this year we've got at least 10 different wildflowers, a healthy mix of sedges, etc etc it owns.

we also have fireflies, thousands of them. beetles, craneflies, thin waisted wasps, wolf spiders, four or five species of jumping spiders, crickets, katydids, robberflies, dobsonflies, ten types of ants, european hornets, carpenter and bumblebees, a gorillion different skippers/moths/butterflies

I'd get fined if I let my lawn go that far but I only mow once a month or so.

I've got a lot of little critters that live in my small suburban yard too. there's a family of chipmonks, rabbits, squirrels, robins, bluejays. a hawk was eating a dead rear end squirrel on my back porch a few months ago it was metal as poo poo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
that reminds me

nothing lives on a lawn because there is little food and no places to shelter there

if you're lucky there's a decent ecosystem below the pathetic monoculture of inferior single blades, but you won't see or enjoy it

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I got you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwuzI8Y0uW0&t=96s

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

thread got a NYT endorsement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMGqvUZjkH8

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's pretty pathetic to water your garden with Aquafina, plants grow much better with Evian. Can you imagine eating a disgusting Aquafina tomato? Yikes.

sombrero
Oct 1, 2007

Anybody in this thread have suggestions for cat-friendly non-toxic ground cover blends to avoid monocrop? USDA.Zone 4, bunch of options seem toxic. Might end up with a bunch of garden beds + fruit trees/mulch

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
it's 745am on saturday and im going to mow my lawn before the temperature rises above 80

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

it's 745am on saturday and im going to mow my lawn before the temperature rises above 80

they have played us for absolute fools

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

In Rhode Island you could have an awesome lawn with trees and ferns, wild berry plants and stuff but instead everyone wants a piece of poo poo grass patch that ends up dying because we keep hitting drought water restrictions every summer

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sombrero posted:

Anybody in this thread have suggestions for cat-friendly non-toxic ground cover blends to avoid monocrop? USDA.Zone 4, bunch of options seem toxic. Might end up with a bunch of garden beds + fruit trees/mulch

you could try calling a local plant nursery

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

post a pic of your lawn

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

don't forget the leafblower, make sure to wake every neighbor up!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

WampaLord posted:

I got my association to switch to electric leafblowers, wayyyy quieter

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I weeded my backyard last weekend it looks nice

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WampaLord posted:

oh dang does fat lip sum 41 live on my block because this happened

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i dont have a leaf blower

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

thing was fine but itd be better if they had liz f narrate.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
can anyone help me identify a bird type. google isn't helping

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

indigi posted:

Check your Pokedex

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

indigi posted:

get the Merlin app, it'll let you search by features or try to ID from a photo or a recording of bird calls

https://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/download/

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thanks I'll give that a shot. my description of "brown bird with blue tail feathers and white circles on back" turned up a bunch of birds that look almost nothing like it. only the tail feathers are blue!! stop showing me birds with blue crests or wings!!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

indigi posted:

thanks I'll give that a shot. my description of "brown bird with blue tail feathers and white circles on back" turned up a bunch of birds that look almost nothing like it. only the tail feathers are blue!! stop showing me birds with blue crests or wings!!

sounds like a female non-breeding or maybe a juvenile western bluebird to me based on your description but give merlin a try, it痴 pretty fun and a good starting point for getting into birding

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

birds

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mr. Sharps posted:

sounds like a female non-breeding or maybe a juvenile western bluebird to me based on your description but give merlin a try, it痴 pretty fun and a good starting point for getting into birding

looks like we got outselves a real bird head here

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mr. Sharps posted:

drat it is a juvenile western bluebird. I guess the other blue coloring comes in gradually?

I知 not really into birding I知 just trying to lure crows to my yard. so far I知 just getting common sparrows, a gray catbird, a pair of cardinals who come every day, a blue jay once, the juvenile bluebird who's come back a couple times, and a yellow warbler with a dark head but not Wilson's, one of the other kinds. also a family of chipmunks have moved in at the base of my feeder since I put it in

I think the crows are scared of my neighbor's dog who barks at everything. I might have to move the stand. if you know any crow tricks I知 all ears

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

just gotta feed crows peanuts every time
you step out and they値l warm up to
you eventually and never leave you alone

edit: shell on peanuts are best they love tearing crap up

Mr. Sharps has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Sep 15, 2022

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Just mowed my lawn the other day

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Smythe posted:

looks like we got outselves a real bird head here

he's cute, unlike you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mr. Sharps posted:

just gotta feed crows peanuts every time
you step out and they値l warm up to
you eventually and never leave you alone

edit: shell on peanuts are best they love tearing crap up

I have peanuts!! I bought a 15lb bag of peanut pieces and peanut suet blocks and separated the seed-only feeder from the bigger, heavy duty peanut delight feeder. I also feed the chipmunks peanuts and they like them too.

e: I guess next time I'll get shell-on peanuts. I haven't seen the crows on their usual spot on the power lines across the street in a while, next time I do I'll make it a point to go out with peanuts for them

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Smoking a bowl while mowing the lawn

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

Smoking a bowl while mowing the lawn

lawns ftw

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bought a place this winter. Successfully killed the lawn this summer. Ripped up chunks of it. Planted native flowers, got some leaf-cutter bee nests. Went hog wild.

Boomer neighbor was concerned until he saw the berry bushes I planted and realized his water bill was three times my bill.

Got a ton of clover and yarrow coming up. PM for pictures to be turned on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Danny LaFever posted:

Bought a place this winter. Successfully killed the lawn this summer. Ripped up chunks of it. Planted native flowers, got some leaf-cutter bee nests. Went hog wild.

Boomer neighbor was concerned until he saw the berry bushes I planted and realized his water bill was three times my bill.

Got a ton of clover and yarrow coming up. PM for pictures to be turned on.

Enjoy your rodent infestation!