Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

jarofpiss posted:

also got a copy of the sorcerer's cave and the expansion pack. i'll probably give this a run later this week and see how it goes. great cover art again, and classic 70's components.

!!!

I love Sorcerer's Cave and gave up trying to find the extension. It's a really great game that captures early DnD way better than Dungeon ever did. It does take up a lot of space, but that's part of the charm.

The Mystic Wood and Temple of the Beastmen are similar, if you end up really digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Also, Sorcerer's Cave has a really classy rulebook:

that quotes Virgil!

It reminded me of the dedication to Minion Hunter, just in the sense that it adds a ton of character:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

!!!

I love Sorcerer's Cave and gave up trying to find the extension. It's a really great game that captures early DnD way better than Dungeon ever did. It does take up a lot of space, but that's part of the charm.

The Mystic Wood and Temple of the Beastmen are similar, if you end up really digging it.

I still haven't played through it but I want to as soon as I've got a free evening.

Not a dungeon crawl but I did buy this recently (I know nothing about this game or publisher):

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

jarofpiss posted:

I still haven't played through it but I want to as soon as I've got a free evening.

Not a dungeon crawl but I did buy this recently (I know nothing about this game or publisher):

I love Siege of the Citadel, another Mutant Chronicles board game. I've heard of Blood Berets but never played it, I don't think it had as good a reputation as SotC, but I'm sure it's still pretty awesome.

Take some pictures of Sorcerer's Cave, it takes up a ton of space but it's really cool. Looking forward to your after action report, the game totally generates a cool narrative.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

JoeRules posted:

ooh I hope you like it! for me, it's completely replaced Azul at 2p - hate drafting is still there, but not nearly as punitive, and way more creative

Verdict: it's a big hit, very fun game

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I remember small time game makers putting out unusual board games in the 70s-early 80s that were leaning more from the sci-fi and D&D side of things that were inexpensive and fun. Cosmic Wimpout and Snit's Revenge come to mind. Does anyone here collect those type of board games?

I have some of these and they're pretty interesting. Look into Ares magazine games for a wide gamut of exactly this kind of thing. Also Task Force Games and Microgames are a similar idea, and Dragon magazine had several as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh hey finally gonna show off my shelves.

To the surprise of no-one, it's a kallax.

And my small game shelf:

(that one box holds the following:
Tiny Epic Quest
Hanabit
Anomia
Oh My Goods!
Noir of Indines
Control
TKO
Rum
Valley of the Kings
Gwent
High Society
Saboteur
Deep Sea Adventure

Should really get rid of some of those...

Not visible: Many expansion boxes that I've tucked behind other things or slipped into that shelf box in the bottom left.

Edit: I took this picture a little while ago, wtf did I flip the sand timer before I did so