Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I have male-presenting nipples, Greg... can you count me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cross-quoting from the video game deals thread, since I also just realized how old my PC's processor is.

TenTwelveTwelve posted:

Today's Newegg email promotion has the Xbox digital version of Elden Ring for $49.99 with code EMCBPA835
Not a big deal, but I know a lot of people are just going to buy it full price
Ten bucks off!! xbox stays winning

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I hope there's a really hard optional enemy in the starting area. I will spend 2 hours killing it, and hopefully be rewarded with something shiny.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I can't believe he came up with the idea of putting more than one Dark Soul in Dark Souls

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

They should add a Quest Log starting item that's just a wooden log that does nothing.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There's time now... I can play all the games I want! I have all the time in the world.

*loads up Elden Ring, sees there's no quest log or objective markers* That's not fair...... that's not fair!! There was time now.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

wearing diapers today. focusing on turds. dont wanna soil anything. i soiled myself in a ton of Wranglers right before i came out and still regret it, i want every crap to knock me on my rear end. also planning to pee a shitload lol
lmao
1. wearing diapers
2. turds
3. "soiled myself"
4. leg sticking out of turd flap

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I feel like most of these people aren't aware of Mimics and will collectively poo poo their pants (in a bad way) when they learn there are Treasure Chests That Eat You

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I feel like a dweeb playing this on a Series S instead of a real machine, hope it's not too rough

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

what the heck I can't even log in, freaking artificial difficulty bullshit

honestly tho, I always forget, should I just start offline? Will it connect me while playing if possible?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ended up wandering around Siofra River presumably way earlier than I should have. Freakin' awesome area, I love how rewarding it is to sneak around and get places you feel like you're not supposed to.

Getting some real Ico + Shadow of the Colossus vibes from the insane scale of some of the architecture and how awesome it feels just to traverse some of the areas, even when you don't find any amazing item or whatever.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

lol I cheesed the gently caress out of some real hard fights by knocking 3 consecutive red phantom NPCs off cliffs (the Great Jar Knight dudes, you gotta kill them all in one go), dunno if anyone cares about item stuff getting spoiled by I got a +10 max equip load talisman as a reward, seems insanely useful

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

what does this icon mean dude

i'm losing my mind trying to figure it out
I think that means you can summon your pokemon spirits

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

man, I definitely remember running into some blind lady but I'll be damned if I can find her now that I need to talk to her...

also, crucible knights are assholes

e: I think I need to avoid looking anything up at all, as I've mostly been doing... it's tempting to google some NPC but then I immediately see tons of poo poo about weird quest triggers and stuff and it stresses me out

Martman fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 26, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Now that I understand how great runes work, I am pretty into the idea... Not sure I'll actually be willing to use any of my rune arcs, but the idea is cool

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

American McGay posted:

They're sick and are my friends. I took the imp ashes as my starting keepsake cause I didn't know what else to pick and it seemed fitting.
I found some Raya Lucaria Soldier ashes and they're freaking pwnage. And the item description mentions that people called Raya Lucaria soldiers "cuckoos," it definitely feels like I have insane Zelda cuccos on my side

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kongming posted:

Bosses also seem to aggressively attempt to punish healing attempts in this game compared to what I remember from previous souls games. You usually need to wait for them to be in recovery from an attack or have considerable distance before you try to drink. They don’t seem to care as much if you’re refilling mana, though.
Yeah some bosses are absolute assholes about this, I love it. Sometimes I panic and end up chugging like 5 times in a row because they just won't stop punishing it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Caria Manor is the most Dark Souls place I've encountered in the game yet... genuinely scary, and also some really evil enemy spawns

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There's an area in some catacomb where you get ambushed by two giant crabs in an extremely small area, and I stubbornly decided I could kill them even though it seemed completely unnecessary. Managed to get myself squirreled in a "safe" corner and tricked the crabs into killing each other, and it is one of my proudest moments in this game even though it had no particular reward or anything

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm losing my mind, this game is incredible. I've found two of the "legendary armaments" weapons and they're making me start dreaming of epic respecs...

I mean I'm playing this game way too loving much, as many of us are, and it just has not had a dull 10 minutes. I'm over 40 hours in and about the worst I can say is that the map feels kinda clunky and sometimes (not very often) the difference between a safe jump and a deadly jump still feels kinda janky. Those are basically my only complaints.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

goferchan posted:

If you're talking vertical drops don't forget you can drop rainbow stones off a cliff to judge safe falls. If it breaks when it hits the ground it's an instant death. But otherwise yeah lol there have been a few horizontal jumps where it's been easy to misjudge distance
Vertically. I mean more like, there's just been a couple places where I could walk down the slightly longer way or jump, and the jump looked kinda dangerous but not really, and I died. I guess I'm just nitpicking that it bugs me when drops that aren't safe still look very close to ones that are, because I don't feel like testing them all the time while randomly running around and trying to save time etc.

This is an extremely minor nitpick but so far it's literally in my top two complaints about the game because I just, don't really have any others.

e: oh also there was a platform that's supposed to break when you land on it in Stormveil Castle, and it didn't the first time I found that area and the whole sequence of mishaps led to one of my only losses of a big pile of runes. That's probably actually why I got butthurt about jumps lol

Martman fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 28, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oh yeah, I forgot, using Gravity magic to yank snipers off of their perches is insanely cool. I want to experiment with all the spells but I have to sleep gah!!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

knew i was back in the souls mindset when i was creeping around a castle, saw a chest but heard heavy breathing nearby so i was cautiously scoping it out but couldn't find any monsters. opened the chest without incident and then realized i was hearing my wife snoring on the couch next to me
I don't want to alarm you, but there may be a mimic, or mimics, in the house!!!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

From that New Yorker interview:

quote:

For Miyazaki, video-game death is an opportunity to create a memory, or a punch line. “When I’m playing these games, I think, This is the way I’d want to die—in a way that is amusing or interesting, or that creates a story I can share,” he said. “Death and rebirth, trying and overcoming—we want that cycle to be enjoyable. In life, death is a horrible thing. In play, it can be something else.”
he seems so cool

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So far I have absolutely zero qualms with using summons and everything to go to town on bosses. There are some really insanely hard areas where you can't spirit summon and I'm drat sure not gonna worry about being honorable once they finally let me summon mah boi Oleg for a boss

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Got Radahn down, and you better believe I summoned the NPCs like 15 times.

Then accidentally killed a friendly NPC for the first time... That's what I get for marauding recklessly. I hope Gowry comes back, he said we'd meet again and didn't seem too concerned about dying.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I did a whole bunch of exploring trying to get to Volcano Manor, found two paths that seemed promising but were dead ends, so found another path that was longer and then found that one of the other paths had a ladder that would have led me to where I was trying to go lol. But I found some cool poo poo including a dungeon that I’m gonna go back to
I simply got an official invitation to Volcano Manor and got teleported there, but hey your way sounds cool too :smugdog:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Just found the most important item in the game: reusable doodad that lets you say "You're beautiful!" to people

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

About 50 hours in, I encountered the first boss that legit took me two hours to beat. I had kinda hit a wall and wasn't sure where else to go, and suddenly they threw in a boss that could one-shot me even with what I thought was a buttload of max HP, no horsey, and a second dude shows up at 50% HP.

I was starting to wonder about the game's difficulty curve but now I feel like I've only scratched the surface.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

American McGay posted:

The Academy of Ray Liotta.
Forget it, Ray Liotta... it's Academy Gate Town

Martman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 2, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hoo boy, bashing my head against the twin gargoyle assholes opened up an insane amount of areas and the game started dumping free stuff on me. Suddenly I have a fully upgraded super badass fighter duo spirit and was able to wreck the double crucible knight fight.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

goferchan posted:

Really cool how the boss in Siofra River has the same double jump as your horse. -- also I hope I'm not the only one who spent 10 minutes walking around the perimeter of that huge rear end arena afterwards like I was looking for the bathroom in a wal mart
The music in that fight is amazing

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm level 99, completely demolishing dudes in the capital since I seem to have been very late to actually bothering to get here... but the loving tree spirits still terrify me. There's one in a scarlet rot swamp and I'm traumatized by it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I have no idea how much more game there is, but I have 4 great runes. I'm kind of overwhelmed and stunned, I keep going through cycles of feeling overpowered and then the game manages to throw some new wild poo poo at me, and I'm like level 110 or something.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

There's a bunch of places where I left lots of stuff undone because the design is almost too good and they're just so goddamn gross and unpleasant to be in
yeah I really need to clean my bedroom too

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I love Radahn’s tiny horse
took me a couple attempts to even notice it, I was so confused at first when it seemed like he started skating around

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Holy poo poo I feel stupid, I managed to get 76 hours in having missed the Flask of Wondrous Physick. I think an early NPC even mentions that you should go find it? But I was really drunk the day of release and probably just kinda forgot about it expecting I'd run into it soon, and managed to avoid ever checking that part of Mistwood. I kept thinking like "drat I wonder when I'm gonna unlock this mixing stuff, I keep getting new crystal tears" and I literally got like 15 of them before cutting my losses and looking up what I was missing.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

That giant jar in Caelid and his three rear end in a top hat buddies…gently caress them
This was somehow pretty much the very first area I ended up going to (well, after Siofra) and I got really stubborn and knocked all three red phantoms off the cliff using the Rejection miracle, while the golem was still shooting arrows the whole time. It was pretty awesome.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oh re: the chariots, also having my mind blown about the first one. But I'm separately confused about the one in the crypt right outside the capital, Auriza Hero's grave I think? It's the one that ends in the double crucible knight fight. I somehow killed all the chariots there, and I assume it had to do with something I hit, but I died as they seemed to get completely exploded so I am just curious if anyone can explain what actually happened. And it gave me all the tree sentinel armor I think?? Like all three of them died and never came back lol, I guess each crypt must have a way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

herculon posted:

Well this quest only took about 40 hours and it’s probably not finished
I got really frustrated during that because I had a certain really obviously relevant key item and it wouldn't let me offer it to the NPC