Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

CainFortea posted:

Some of us have never even beaten Hard.

I got my poo poo kicked in by dragon on my closest attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

norp posted:

I got my poo poo kicked in by dragon on my closest attempt

The easiest dragon wins i've ever had were poison based. Upgrading that die face that triples it's poison amount to quadrupling it gave me a 3 turn dragon win.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Poopy Palpy posted:

And when we say "a flush of hero types on unfair or harder" we mean "don't even bother", right?

Try it with full blue! Most of them are excellent and synergize beautifully.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Full blue is ludicrous, because man those classes are balanced around only having one of them.

By the endgame, every character contributes a bunch of mana, and you have a class that can deal 2 + mana damage, a class that can double your current mana, a class that lets you reuse a different class' die, and 5 different spells to spend your 40 mana you just made in one turn.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arzaac posted:

Full blue is ludicrous, because man those classes are balanced around only having one of them.

By the endgame, every character contributes a bunch of mana, and you have a class that can deal 2 + mana damage, a class that can double your current mana, a class that lets you reuse a different class' die, and 5 different spells to spend your 40 mana you just made in one turn.

Getting growth on a cantrip side and having a bunch of reroll die faces is hillarious.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Getting growth on a cantrip side and having a bunch of reroll die faces is hillarious.

It sure is

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Boar Tusk + Dragon Egg on the Sorcerer was instant comedy.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

dhamster posted:

Try it with full blue! Most of them are excellent and synergize beautifully.

I keep not having an answer for Quartz.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

I used to wipe on Quartz all the time with my blue teams but it's not too bad if you've got a class with even a weak mana generating attack. Use all your excess mana to shield your mans and eventually chip them down 1 damage at a time. The single use attacks that get scaling damage based on how much mana you have also hit them just fine.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

Draft one of the classes with an attack ASAP and prioritize any item that changes sides into attack sides specifically for this reason.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Ok, that was pretty dumb once it got rolling.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

This game is absolutely incredible.

Only the minorest of nitpick, but in custom party mode it would be great if the avatar had the title of the class as well. I still don't recognize fhe faces enough!

But holy he'll is it a great game.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Hizawk posted:

in custom party mode it would be great if the avatar had the title of the class as well. I still don't recognize fhe faces enough!

Yes I agree! I'm adding some alternate level 1 heroes at the moment so I'll revisit it when I add those to it.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
How are the alternate level 1 heroes going to work? Are they only available in a custom party or do they get shuffled into standard as well?

My dream feature would be a Cursed mode with a random party. (But I love all things RNG)

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Farquar posted:

How are the alternate level 1 heroes going to work? Are they only available in a custom party or do they get shuffled into standard as well?

My dream feature would be a Cursed mode with a random party. (But I love all things RNG)

We'll see, I have some plans for a generic anti-cheese thing to use for this and other things. Hopefully you'll be able to get them somehow in all modes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So, does cursed mode count a replaced curse in the total? Like if I had the one that heals the most damaged mob by 1, and then immediately replaced it with the one that heals it by 2, does that mean I have 2 curses or 1 curse now?

Because if it's the latter, that sucks cause the 2nd curse is a lot worse than the first.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

CainFortea posted:

So, does cursed mode count a replaced curse in the total? Like if I had the one that heals the most damaged mob by 1, and then immediately replaced it with the one that heals it by 2, does that mean I have 2 curses or 1 curse now?

Because if it's the latter, that sucks cause the 2nd curse is a lot worse than the first.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The curse upgrades and overrides the old effect, they get healed by 2 total if you have the upgrade. The crossed-out one counts for that one achievement that references number of curses?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tann posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. The curse upgrades and overrides the old effect, they get healed by 2 total if you have the upgrade. The crossed-out one counts for that one achievement that references number of curses?

That is what I was getting at. If the crossed out curse counts for my total curses for that achievement.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

So by my calculation, you need to get to level 58 to earn that achievement.

My last good run got to level 56 :(

Jows
May 8, 2002

Man I don't know how y'all do it on hard and unfair. I've yet to beat normal and got spanked on my last easy run :(
On the demo I didnt have any problems on normal and beat hard a couple times. Lvls 13-20 add a lot!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jows posted:

Man I don't know how y'all do it on hard and unfair. I've yet to beat normal and got spanked on my last easy run :(
On the demo I didnt have any problems on normal and beat hard a couple times. Lvls 13-20 add a lot!

Practice and luck really. You have to play enough to find the balance between "Good enough" and "one more try is worth it". And knowing what synergies to look for in class/item combos.

And luck in getting the good class/item combos, and, well, it's dice based so luck will always play a role.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

There are some real hard fights in those levels, but that's also when you start getting the crazy fun combos of items and classes.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My main advice is that when people say to value cleanse, they mean it. You can do without it on easy and normal if you stack enough damage to alpha strike everything, but it's necessary in hard and downright mandatory on higher levels.

I keep trying unfair and I'm slowly realizing it's better to have one or two main damage heroes and the rest support than to try to go in on damage for everyone, one or two support isn't enough.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

CainFortea posted:

That is what I was getting at. If the crossed out curse counts for my total curses for that achievement.

It does

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Nighthand posted:

My main advice is that when people say to value cleanse, they mean it. You can do without it on easy and normal if you stack enough damage to alpha strike everything, but it's necessary in hard and downright mandatory on higher levels.

I keep trying unfair and I'm slowly realizing it's better to have one or two main damage heroes and the rest support than to try to go in on damage for everyone, one or two support isn't enough.

I find it easier to alpha strike in unfair even if you don't get everyone. People can usually survive round 1 with maybe 1 shield which means you want to go HARD to reduce damage for future rounds.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goddamn a whole party of blues is fun as hell

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

explosivo posted:

Goddamn a whole party of blues is fun as hell

Just wait till you try a team of all grays...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
game is cool so far, thanks op

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just want to chime in and say this game is really fun.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
Great game. Thank you for making it. My only issue is the challenges. I've never seen one worth taking.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Chalk is Cheap posted:

Great game. Thank you for making it. My only issue is the challenges. I've never seen one worth taking.

If you've never taken one, you might not realize you get the items before the fight, which can help offset the challenge. They're still generally pretty bad, though.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Game's good

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Having been recently killed I can say with authority that Wisps and Goblins are the worst

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah that fight ended a promising all-blue Unfair run for me last night. Just got caught in a situation where I couldn't kill things and protect my team enough.

I think my least favorite enemies in the game are:

- Goblins. They're well-designed to be challenging but god I hate having to navigate that challenge.
- Caws. Hard to blitz down without ranged damage, and good lord do they hit like trucks.
- Spikers. Especially on unfair, they feel like boss fights in their own right.

None of them really feel unfairly designed, just personally annoying. Spikers maybe show up a little early sometimes, I guess.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What exactly do the different difficulties modify?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The main difference is player buffs/debuffs. Easy gives you a blessing to choose from like +1 reroll/+health/+1 mana every turn. Normal is just you vs. the enemies. Hard, you pick a curse or two like +enemy health/start poisoned/start injured. Unfair I have not unlocked or tried yet, but based on other posts pretty sure you get additional curses through the run.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
Hard is one curse, unfair is three.

The unlockable Cursed mode is where you start adding curses as the game progresses.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The Huge Manatee posted:

Hard is one curse, unfair is three.

The unlockable Cursed mode is where you start adding curses as the game progresses.

Cursed mode is specifically 1 curse at the start and a new curse after each boss fight. After you beat the final boss you start again at the start with 1 level heroes and no items but keep all the curses. You gain a blessing at the start of each loop.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

The curses in Cursed mode are also generally not as harsh as the curses from Hard mode, by the way, so it's not as impossible as it sounds. It's my favorite mode. The blessings you get from completing a loop are so satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Cursed is the most fun mode imo, once you learn the ropes. Unfair is 'doable' but it doesn't have quite that same thrill.

I also like the brokenness/weird synergies of Custom Party, come to think of it.