Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Splinter posted:

Up until 3.0 it was android only I believe so it was designed for touch so I doubt there was much if any demand for controller use.

e: I'm ages late in this reply hadn't refreshed

It's been on pc for as long as I've been playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Splinter posted:

Up until 3.0 it was android only I believe so it was designed for touch so I doubt there was much if any demand for controller use.

e: I'm ages late in this reply hadn't refreshed
it's been on PC forever through itch.io

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I got the item that gives random tags each turn, got "Inflict pain" on a flail vs the last boss and on turn 1 all the enemies killed themselves 10/10 game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I got the item that gives random tags each turn, got "Inflict pain" on a flail vs the last boss and on turn 1 all the enemies killed themselves 10/10 game.

It can rarely get group death

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Jerkface posted:

Is there any streamers/youtubers who play this that are not insanely cringe? I am mostly looking for people who would play classic unfair+ runs and talk through their decision making.

Retromation has been putting up some fun runs. He seems good at the game and talks through decisions fairly well.

Loving the game Tann!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Got a Nightmare win down.

Started with a Heaven Generate run, rolled Double XP and 2 extra rerolls.

Final boss was x5 The Hand with 350 HP. Thankfully I had a Titan Blade + Obsidian Edge which gave me more than enough damage to wipe out the Hand on Turn 1 when he wanted to create 15 Sabers. The Slime Queen eggs were a breeze. Snipers are a killer, I won a fight by the last roll with a double shot that was able to kill the last two that was targeting my only hero left. Titanbane Amulet also came in handy against the double x3 Hexia.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
have had this game for ages, somehow didn't super enjoy it until 3.0, now I've put probably ten hours into it this week

you made a good game

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Got my classic unfair victory with this beautiful team:

The item luck was just unreal. Right up to the final boss the Prince was as outshone as the luggage, but then it gave me a silk cape to make him a beast as well.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jerkface posted:

Is there any streamers/youtubers who play this that are not insanely cringe? I am mostly looking for people who would play classic unfair+ runs and talk through their decision making.
I don't think this is a very good game for streaming, at least the top 101* aren't smart enough to do what you want them to.

*Northen Lion did stream it and just plays on his phone now

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
man, Fate is a crappy t3 red

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Jerkface posted:

DolphinChemist and Baalorlord both have streamed it and talk about difficult run stuff.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Baertaffy did a stream of it a while back and he's a normal dude. Pretty sure it's on YouTube

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Kuros posted:

Got a Nightmare win down.

Started with a Heaven Generate run, rolled Double XP and 2 extra rerolls.

Final boss was x5 The Hand with 350 HP. Thankfully I had a Titan Blade + Obsidian Edge which gave me more than enough damage to wipe out the Hand on Turn 1 when he wanted to create 15 Sabers. The Slime Queen eggs were a breeze. Snipers are a killer, I won a fight by the last roll with a double shot that was able to kill the last two that was targeting my only hero left. Titanbane Amulet also came in handy against the double x3 Hexia.

Thought I'd do this after I got my unfair generate win finally (3 achievements to go, all item related)
The unfair generate was an easy win when I rolled into an all-sides-gain-flesh keyword item

The nightmare attempt only took 2 heaven runs to complete, the absorb boss essence was critical to keep up with the nightmare scaling, and the basically unlimited choices (13) helped deal with the generate hero RNG to make sure all my heroes were always useful, and I could snag 2 more blessings along the way

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Fate is a pretty middle of the road T3 I'd say, has some items or team comps that can make her quite good but has no source of cleanse at all which is a pretty big downside. Definitely not as bad as some of the truly worthless characters like ghast.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh, Ghast. Works pretty well if you've got like, Valkyrie or Eyepatch, but even then mostly just generates a bunch of mana to spend on burst.

Honestly? He's actually pretty good at that point, but there's no way in hell I'm taking him without synergies.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Ghast is pretty good in some parties imo. Harvest can be quite handy for cleanup and mana generation, and there are ways to mitigate the Death keyword in his mana side, at which point it's just a really good mana side. His two Weaken faces can be useful in a pinch as well.

I wouldn't peg him as one of the best T3 blues (the competition is pretty fierce!), but he's certainly not worthless.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm not really a fan of Ghast even if you have a way around the death effect. You still have to dedicate resources to letting him use it and his mana generation is awful if you don't roll the death side. His spell is pretty bad and gets worse deep into cursed runs where you will probably have a limit on how many bursts you can cast in a turn, and it doesn't synergize with his big burst mana potential. 2 weakness is a neat trick but I don't think it's enoguh to carry him.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Tainted I think is the one that seems like a rough take. A random T4 curse seems like a big risk, even if it's later in the stage and the sides are unimpressive. There's no secret is there?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Ghast is kinda on the low end of T3 blues along with Artificer imo.

Sorceror and Warlock are my all stars. I wish Ghast, Artificer and Ace got bumped up a bit to at least Wizard level.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Sorc/Wizard really need item support, or picked up just before the hand imo. Honestly outside of warlock and that one blue who has the 3 damage to top/bottom they all feel really niche/situational, there's a lot of runs where I've wound up just sticking to Glacia instead of going to T3 because I got a set all/mana sides to 2 and was offered ghast/ace or something as my only blue options.
I think yellow and reds are the most balanced set of T3s, with pretty much all of the heroes being reasonably selectable without huge support most of the time, discounting wraith and veteran probably.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 27, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Really? I find most L3 reds super situational, I'm usually have an easier time finding an acceptable blue upgrade than red.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Basically all the Reds have a few good sides and a good spell. The Blues might have one or the other

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Prophet - Vitality and soothe spam can solve a lot of the floor 20 fights on its own, can sometimes suffer against Hexia if no one else in your party has cleanse though
Doctor - Has a cleanse, regen is good. Not the strongest red but is generally workable and there's a bunch of items that pair well with their sides.
Witch - Has cleanse, weaken is almost always useful, best against the hand I think.
Shaman - Ritual hard counters the poison spam a lot of the end bosses like to do, vitality is really good against some of the bosses.
Surgeon - Not amazing but it works well with warlock/barbarian, and worst case operate can sort of function as a cleanse.
Fate - Solid amount of item synergy, strand can be really good or worthless depending on boss/curses.
Forsaken - I'm not sure if bind is better or worse than it used to be when it reduced max hp but didn't have deplete, pretty good sides overall though. No cleanse and the revive is tied to a single die side, iffy.
Wraith - Doesn't really do anything you want a red to do, and the spell is Ghast tier garbage.
Most of these are good or at least usable against most of the most dangerous end bosses/fights, with some being a little more niche, or is Wraith.

Warlock - Blaze is an extremely powerful spell and solves a lot of problems in the final fights, needs help to keep going but most reds don't have much else to do than feed him hp/extra mana to actually cast blaze.
Weaver - Not amazing but at least he's somewhat consistent and dodge is nice to have as an option. Significantly worse if you have a -max mana curse.
Wizard - God tier or garbage entirely based on your items/if you're fighting the hand.
Sorc - Same as wizard.
Chronos - Needs significant help with mana generation to do anything, the cleave 1 weaken is mostly just kind of bad against most of the late fights unless your party is generating insane amounts of mana. Upside is that dodge and target repeat are good dice faces.
Artificer - He's got 6 single use faces, 3 of them are mediocre to bad, 1 of them is equivalent to good hero Venom's 2 poison but is single use, and the spell mostly sucks against the late fights/bosses.
Ace - Why do you exist? Your spell being deplete is awful and you barely generate mana.
Ghast - It's Ghast, probably the single worst T3 hero
Three of these are just mediocre to Ghast, two of the remaining options need +pip items or to fight the hand, one of them becomes drastically less consistent if you can't afford to bank a bit of mana or have -max mana curse, and the last one is actually good but still needs babying most of the time.

There's lots of exceptions of course, items/particularly good class synergies etc exist so none of this is immutable other than Ghast.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

I play Magic on Steam Deck from time to time and having left joystick as fine-grained mouse, right joystick as faster-motion mouse, triggers as clicks, and a few face buttons as maybe special actions tends to work pretty good for mouse-based games.

Might try something like this
Nice thing is that now that it’s on steam (vs when I was doing it), I’m sure some people will publish their own concocted control schemes that I can steal/test out too

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I said I wasn't going to grind unfair but I'm trying unfair generated and I'm having the worst luck. It's just lovely lopsided guy after lovely lopsided guy and my guys not hitting their good side. My last run I got to Hexia, who summoned 3 demons before I killed her and then got locked into a death stalemate because my only damage dealer died and I had a bunch of spell casters.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'd take Ghast over Ace almost every time, the death side is really not that bad (it's fine to use even without item support) and the weaken is real nice. Ace just sucks.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Ace is fine as a late team comp pick if you're offered it third or later; there's a fair number of characters with multiple three-pip sides and it normally isn't too hard to fish out one two-pip. Spell is good, too. In particular it really shone on a run where I also had a Doctor, whose double-use three-pip heal fuels Ace's Trio 3 all by itself and who has a two-pip heal/mana side. Ace doesn't need item support to function, which puts it above Artificer and Ghast. Probably about on the same level as Sorcerer and Chronos?

I'd say Weaver is probably the worst Blue outside of multiple-Blue parties.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Einwand posted:

Prophet - Vitality and soothe spam can solve a lot of the floor 20 fights on its own, can sometimes suffer against Hexia if no one else in your party has cleanse though
Surgeon - Not amazing but it works well with warlock/barbarian, and worst case operate can sort of function as a cleanse.

Hard disagree, these guys are run killers.

Einwand posted:

Wizard - God tier or garbage entirely based on your items/if you're fighting the hand.
Sorc - Same as wizard.
Chronos - Needs significant help with mana generation to do anything, the cleave 1 weaken is mostly just kind of bad against most of the late fights unless your party is generating insane amounts of mana. Upside is that dodge and target repeat are good dice faces.
Artificer - He's got 6 single use faces, 3 of them are mediocre to bad, 1 of them is equivalent to good hero Venom's 2 poison but is single use, and the spell mostly sucks against the late fights/bosses.

These are fine. Wizard's spell and permaboost side make him very usable support unless the rest of your party is awful, sorc does need some kind of item or party synergy going but it takes very little for him to start popping off, arty has two 4-mana sides and a big charged attack, chronos is probably the most questionable of the bunch but weaken on demand is solid. I won't go out of my way for them but they're acceptable.

Einwand posted:

Ace - Why do you exist? Your spell being deplete is awful and you barely generate mana.

Ace is more finicky and wants some support but most of his turns are going to be +1 boost, +4 mana, or +6-8 mana (because you will usually have to cast his spell to set up the 3x3 side) and that's not terrible. Does drop off hard if your burst spell gets nerfed and you don't have a replacement, though.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Weaver is really good if you have a Leader or someone else with a 'reuse a side' side because that turns double your mana into quadruple your mana.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

If nothing else it's interesting to see how people value things differently, even if I disagree with it.
I highly value consistency/the ability to stall out late game fights and sustain through them because many times you won't have a comp that can burn down all the big threats right away. Prophet for example has multiples of their useful sides, and with enough stalling you can eventually get to the point where you simply can no longer die which is a valid win con on its own. Surgeon is just kind of a barbarian/warlock enabler but having revive on the spell, deplete or not, means you have a much more consistent way to drag a bad fight back on track while the characters with single side revives can often just not roll that when you need it and then snowballs into a loss.
Ace might be better than I rate him, but I just don't like deplete because I expect the vast majority of runs to have the 4th/5th boss be dragged out slogs since quite often for curses I'll prioritize stuff that makes enemies harder to kill rather than stuff that makes things more lethal.
The only things I don't think I could ever be convinced on is Clumsy or Ghast being good.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 27, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Einwand posted:

Ace might be better than I rate him, but I just don't like deplete because I expect the vast majority of runs to have the 4th/5th boss be dragged out slogs since quite often for curses I'll prioritize stuff that makes enemies harder to kill rather than stuff that makes things more lethal.

That does explain some things, I prefer playing rocket tag as I do not count on the red and gray heroes being able to keep up with the dragon or the hand even without curses.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

the holy poopacy posted:

That does explain some things, I prefer playing rocket tag as I do not count on the red and gray heroes being able to keep up with the dragon or the hand even without curses.

I tend to play this way and kept Vampire over t3s a lot. Especially with that one red only damage item

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I prefer to avoid rocket tag because it's much easier to average out to rolling what you need when fights take longer, the hand having an unweakenable "kill top hero" attack has definitely made me reconsider going too hard on getting stall comps though.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

A lot of higher difficulty runs seem much easier if you treat them like low turn count challenge runs. Taking a plus enemy pips curse is often high value and doesn't matter much if you kill them before a turn. The left hand faces are generally easier since summons tend to be on the right, and +pips summons suck (because they draw out fights!)

The + extra enemy ones are the worst though, more damage AND longer fights, v bad combo.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I don't think stall gets anywhere close without item support but if you get a cantrip death immunity/revive or a strong rescue side going it's pretty great. Then again, pure rocket tag builds don't tend to get there without item support either.

I imagine a pure red run being significantly easier than a pure yellow run.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

WarpedLichen posted:

In my experience, pure red runs are the 2nd hardest behind pure grey.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

WarpedLichen posted:

I feel this is an appropriate moment to repost this:

Lemony posted:

I am an idiot for thinking this was a good idea to attempt. Observe, my folly:

Zero damage, zero kills, total pacifist run.

Fortunately, I discovered that summoned enemies who are sitting in the reinforcement queue do not count towards the total HP value needed to cause the enemy to flee. It took a surprisingly small number of attempts. I nearly lost it a couple of times on this run and wasn't sure I would be able to make it due to almost all my item choices being trash for what I was doing.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
What are some good strategies for pure-color runs? I did Hard with pure blue and multiple weavers doubling each other's mana, but Unfair with the same strategy has been kicking my butt.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

GetDunked posted:

What are some good strategies for pure-color runs? I did Hard with pure blue and multiple weavers doubling each other's mana, but Unfair with the same strategy has been kicking my butt.

With all blue take only + enemy offence/-hero defence curses. Don't be afraid of pain sides - your aim is to win each round as fast as possible, your team not all dying is a bonus. You'll need to take some straight damage sides for thorns but there'll also be some from items. Cantrips + rerolls can easily get broken fast with all blues as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

GetDunked posted:

Green: 4 cats and a Pockets isn't too bad. You need some luck with your tier 4+ generated greens, they often roll tactics that let you put your cat sides to better use.