Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

GetDunked posted:

What are some good strategies for pure-color runs? I did Hard with pure blue and multiple weavers doubling each other's mana, but Unfair with the same strategy has been kicking my butt.

I did 4 cats and spade as someone else suggested. Eventually I got a 20-something health, one good side, "Blank sides do 8 damage engage" power and I just skipped all the future level-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
Fates good but you absolutely need warlock or some other form of self harm to put your guys into rescue range

She’d probably be sick af with the spiked monsters curse

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

CainFortea posted:

In my experience, pure red runs are the 2nd hardest behind pure grey.

I just tried a pure red run on Heaven and yeah, I didn't realize how bad the lack of offense can get.

I think what I didn't realize about level 3 reds is that compared to level 1 reds that are about on par with level 1 blues for mana generation, level 3 reds tend to trade that away for healing and healing sides are still really really crappy.

Doctor kind of has offensive potential but I never got shaman to group cleanse. Painful, don't want to do it again on a real difficulty setting.

Edit: Is it just me or do some of the 9 curses just seem completely not even viable? Like +warchief to every fight just seems like a near auto lose?

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 28, 2024

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What is "Unset?"

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Most of the big point curses seem like they're just auto losses, though sometimes you get weird rear end runs like this, the "pick a bunch of 1 point curses" curses feel very overcosted, which is the only set of curses I can think of that I think that for.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I did not have "EN vtuber with 10k viewers does an Unfair run" on my Slice & Dice bingo card but here we are

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
All Blues is going to be way harder now that the big demons have the two "must take this HP with dice" breakpoints. They seem to be particularly designed to counter mono blue-style death-or-glory tactics. (And also generated monogreen versions of the same, considering damage Tactics.)

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I died to my first attempt at Hexia. Got her down to 5 hp. I might have been able to pull through if I had played better... I had leveled up my last level 2 hero to Weaver right before the fight, figuring it would be a good fight for the invulnerability side, but then I wasn't able to generate enough mana to reliably take advantage of it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well that's an interesting niche interaction/bug? If you have the final tier of slippery dice and a sticky dice side, it won't let the sticky dice lock but if you press the done rolling button the sticky dice won't come back out if you change your mind and go back to rerolls.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Gave you money :3:

This is a good game.

EDIT: Can someone explain how Faint Halo is supposed to work? Is it just when a hero would die and is healed, or does it work if they're shielded? What about if you give someone selfshield with the Pilgrim? Does the Pilgrim get an extra HP?

Quackles fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 28, 2024

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Quackles posted:

Gave you money :3:

This is a good game.

EDIT: Can someone explain how Faint Halo is supposed to work? Is it just when a hero would die and is healed, or does it work if they're shielded? What about if you give someone selfshield with the Pilgrim? Does the Pilgrim get an extra HP?

Shielding works as well as healing, and if you kill an enemy that would have contributed to the fatal damage and they survive as a result, then that also activates the halo. Selfshield would never give it to the Pilgrim, though; that 'add selfshield' side just adds the keyword to the dice, so the person who uses the die is considered responsible for any affects that activate as a result.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Einander posted:

All Blues is going to be way harder now that the big demons have the two "must take this HP with dice" breakpoints. They seem to be particularly designed to counter mono blue-style death-or-glory tactics. (And also generated monogreen versions of the same, considering damage Tactics.)

It's not too bad, lots of blues have a couple of pretty good damage sides that you're happy to play anyway (weaken/managain) so it just makes the ordering a little tricky.

Did an Unfair/all blue run after the discussion above. First attempt had "Every second die Death" which wasn't as bad as it sounds but still rough. I think I misplayed a bit, should have done more 1 dice turns.

The I got "Middle column +2" or something and it was a breeze, even hexia wasn't an issue with first turn no death on my bottom Ghast. Artificer was great, one of my favourite blues now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Einander posted:

Shielding works as well as healing, and if you kill an enemy that would have contributed to the fatal damage and they survive as a result, then that also activates the halo. Selfshield would never give it to the Pilgrim, though; that 'add selfshield' side just adds the keyword to the dice, so the person who uses the die is considered responsible for any affects that activate as a result.

The simpler way to explain it is that if a hero is flashing before you use a die and isn't flashing after you use it, they were rescued by whoever the die belonged to.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
monster regen 2 (monsters with <10hp get 2 regen) is really easy to deal with!

until you get caws with some tanks, and don't have ranged or attacks that can do 7 damage in a shot. then it's a run-ender

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Caws and hydras, two of the biggest run enders other than the final boss.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Einwand posted:

Caws and hydras, two of the biggest run enders other than the final boss.

Both effectively dealt with by that otherwise garbage "change everyone's dice to 1 damage ranged" item.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Quixzlizx posted:

I died to my first attempt at Hexia. Got her down to 5 hp. I might have been able to pull through if I had played better... I had leveled up my last level 2 hero to Weaver right before the fight, figuring it would be a good fight for the invulnerability side, but then I wasn't able to generate enough mana to reliably take advantage of it.

I somehow beat her on my first attempt (easy). Immediately before the fight I was offered two level up choices on my Armorer, one of which was Valkyrie, who I think would have been an awesome pick. But, instead, I skipped the level up because I was really liking my armorer with an item that added cantrips to all one-pip sides and another that added fiz. I wouldn't have made that choice if I'd remembered to check Hexia's abilities first, but somehow it worked out anyway.

I have a couple questions though.

1. What would have happened if I'd picked the random level option? Would any character have been eligible or would it still just have been the armorer?
2. What counts as an "ability"?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hexia ain't no thing for me now. New run killer is The Hand. That guy is mean!

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
For 2., I think it's anything that costs mana.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hexia remains the hardest boss, even with the new boss being somewhat unfair. I guess there's just ways to definitively punch his lights out... He feels like he is stronger. In practice, Hexia kills me more.

My non hexia killed runs, outside of nightmare, are generally to Lich going sicko mode or Mr. minerals deciding it wants to summon a slate every single turn

In runs that make it to nightmare (that I play out), I am killed by four things, consistently, and only four things.

1)Slates. Jesus, x9 slates are a warcrime.
2)Hexias, plural.
3)The altars that add death to all my sides
4)Bizarrely enough? Illusions. I have horrific luck to my best character being unavoidably petrified for 6.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Fil5000 posted:

Both effectively dealt with by that otherwise garbage "change everyone's dice to 1 damage ranged" item.

I don't think that's actually garbage though. Like, its not great, but its a tier 2 item, none of them are great. It frequently fills a blank spot on a low tier hero's die, makes your team a little more consistent, and can be a useful tech item for later fights too.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

bash with pillow (x2 if not used last turn) and iron heart (+1 and exert to all sides) makes his 7 damage exert left side way more exciting. 16 damage, for a low tradeoff of all other sides being exerts

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I feel like patient is pretty bad, partly because the items that give them don't give it to enough spots, and party because it's the opposite issue of exert/single use where you get the value later but you always want as much value immediately as you can get to get fights down to a manageable incoming damage amount.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Quixzlizx posted:

For 2., I think it's anything that costs mana.

It's a spell or a tactic (which may or may not be unlocked for you yet, they're like spells except they use up die faces instead of mana)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Einwand posted:

I feel like patient is pretty bad, partly because the items that give them don't give it to enough spots, and party because it's the opposite issue of exert/single use where you get the value later but you always want as much value immediately as you can get to get fights down to a manageable incoming damage amount.

yeah, but consider: big number gives my brain the good chemicals

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

redleader posted:

yeah, but consider: big number gives my brain the good chemicals

and your brain deserves the good chemicals!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I had a neat setup with a Spellblade equipped with Sparks (adds cantrip to every side with one pip), which was fun because all Spellblade sides are 1 pip. Then I got offered an upgrade to Venom.

Yeah, I'll take cantrip on arguably the best die face in the game. Sailed through the remainder of the run and dumpstered Hexia in like two turns.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
So I now understand why Wendigo says "non-magic." And I even thought about items beforehand, too. RIP.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Is there anywhere I can see what I need to do to unlock more game-modes?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Teledahn posted:

Is there anywhere I can see what I need to do to unlock more game-modes?

Tap on the locked modes on the start screen.

Anyway, bug report: Wristblade isn’t overwriting my Sparky’s used single-use blank sides.

code:
`{p:[10],s:050041132224,c:[16Z0,1701,330,13Z4,12Z2,1442,301,2040,21Z5,2250,4,17Z1,15Z2,18Z3,1654,333,1324,302,301,2062,2182,2251,23Z1,4,15Z1,13Z2,32Z,1500,1323,1104,20Z5,2154,4,2040,2160,4],d:{sl:1,l:{m:[Gnoll,Sarcophagus,Gnoll]},m:[Small Bonus^2],p:{h:[Whirl,Healer~Bone Charm,Warden,Druid,Sparky~Pillow~Wristblade]},n:8},v:309r}`

Bob Morlock
Aug 22, 2012
Hi! Long-time player, first time poster here. Love the new update, but I seem to have come across another bug:

code:

`{c:[1844,14Z0,1503,1773,1632,20Z5,2170,22a3,2361,2470,25a5,4,15Z3,13Z5,1411,300,20Z1,2154,2231,4,20Z4,2164,2265,2340,4],d:{l:{m:[Sniper,Militia,Imp,Sniper,Quartz,Grave]},m:[Worse Items^3,Arthritis^2,Death Shield^1],n:10,p:{e:[Camomile],h:[Spade,Brute,Berserker~D~Doomblade~Martyr,Caldera~Mana Bomb~Cheating Sleeves,Druid~Parasite#Trick Deck]},sl:1},p:[12],s:445010524133,v:3011r}`

I had a good thing going here, but equipping the berserker to self-destrucuct in an especially glorious manner seems to break the spade's resurrection ability. If you smash the berserker against the skeleton here, the resurrection doesn't bring back neither him nor the already dead druid. What's more, if you save the spade (mulch + burst), the resurrection still does nothing the following turn. Does the 'serker end up "extra-double-triple-dead" somehow?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks for the bug reports, Paste mode makes it so convenient for me.

Bob Morlock posted:

Does the 'serker end up "extra-double-triple-dead" somehow?
Yes sort of, it's fixed in 3.0.18 which is not out on iOS yet.

Quackles posted:

Wristblade isn’t overwriting my Sparky’s used single-use blank sides.
Unintuitive but intended, check help-advanced-layering.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
It's a tad annoying that a weakened to zero growth side can't be used - even a mana side that has no target.

I might be remembering wrong but didn't it previously allow you to use a zero pipped die if it had some other effect?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

norp posted:

I might be remembering wrong but didn't it previously allow you to use a zero pipped die if it had some other effect?
I agree that I would like to use a zero growth side. But you couldn't do that in 2.0 either. (Don't know about 1.0)

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Is it intended that Housecat's left side not count as a "basic damage side" for whetstone?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Scored my third nightmare win thanks to item level increase blessings: utilizing an item that gave me inflict-inflict-death and put it on my grey basically allowing me to 1-shot every enemy and take advantage of cleaves and double-use sides - combined with a other "all sides gain flesh" and a x2 third heart to do like 150 damage in case my grey died to sigils

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Congrats Tann on hitting Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam :)

I hope eventually I get good enough to see some of these crazy combos I keep hearing about instead of limping through my games an inch from death at literally all times, I'm still having a great time though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

woke kaczynski posted:

Congrats Tann on hitting Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam :)

I hope eventually I get good enough to see some of these crazy combos I keep hearing about instead of limping through my games an inch from death at literally all times, I'm still having a great time though.

that inch is so exciting though!

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Beat the Hand with a 1-hp berserker yesterday and never felt so alive. Barely scraping by is the best type of run!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Subjunctive posted:

It's his girlfriend I feel sorry for.