Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Is there any way to get inventory to work in Raid mode? I know that you don't ordinarily get any items, but you can, and when you do, it's basically impossible to actually pick where they get equipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Always Pick Eccentric feels like a winning move. I don't necessarily always do it, but by and large, I am pretty convinced they're the king of the Yellows. That fork being on the right is an absolutely filthy piece of tech.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Well sure. Fair point. Don't play cursed if you don't want to be horrifically cursed. Otherwise the mode would be called "irritated".

Edit
This reads somewhat more confrontational than I intended. But my main point is "it's silly to use a mode literally called 'cursed', as a baseline.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 8, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm sad that there isn't an achievement for overkilling the dragon by 950.

Edit
Or for having a full team with 999 armor.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
As evidenced by my 999 armor for everyone experience, I learned that you can add cleave to the "ally can reroll their die" side. But can dodge sides gain cleave?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

dirby posted:

I wanna say they can but it doesn't do anything since dodge doesn't actually have a target.

I'd have thought it would just target self.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Thorns are low key one of the scariest monster types. Probably the scariest that's not a boss encounter.

Tarantus still worst overall, because of his "have dodge or resist death? Welp, I will kill at least one, no matter what"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I don't really like playing with blessings or curses very much. Which one is Bolt? Is that the bigger burst or the cleaved one? Did I dream there being a cleaved one?

Edit
Honestly, my favorite is anything that kills the enemies' right hand side. It's almost always going to be the scariest ability the enemy has, and the change from "this ability is dangerous" to "this ability now does nothing" is a huge swing.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 21, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: all-orange runs where you go for as many cantrip sides as possible are also a riot

I feel the same way, only with poison instead. However, rather than start a war, I feel we should join houses. All cantrip, poison sides.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Lemony posted:

What things should I aim for while trying to do the achievement for beating classic in under 40 turns? I've put in seven or eight attempts and there's a few points where I always seem to get bogged down.

Also, regarding Hexia chat, I feel like I'd have less of an issue with her if you could see what boss you're going to fight ahead of time. Then again, that might make things too easy...

Play on easy, take a blessing that gives you mana.

The secret hardest achievement is "lose to alpha 10 times". I have lost to alphas once in almost 300 tries.

I was playing raid mode today, which I rarely touch. I have learned that Warlock/Artificer/Leader goes kinda crazy. Caught a valk, too, so the double Hexia final still got rolled by my immortal artificer.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My advice for playing on easy was for the unlock.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Actually, isn't there a high level curse that adds an Alpha? I'm vaguely sure I saw something like that and said "gently caress that nonsense".

If true, that would be a really reliable way to lose to Alphas.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Tann, what unholy favor would I have to grant you to consider adding a character (grey would make the most sense?) that has a side that reads: "1 damage, single-use, dispel"? I almost don't even care how bad their other sides are.

Lemony posted:

As with most games with this style of gameplay loop, I find it interesting what I tended to value when first playing vs. what I value now.

Eccentric is the guy it took me a second to figure out. It turns out that having the good side be on the right is an enormous advantage, but that's not immediately apparent. I'm slowly coming around on the Brute line of guys, with the high HP and the stun side. Yet another yellow example is the Scrapper. Two blank sides and four 1 pip sides, but all four of those can be raised to enormous levels, and 8 HP is pretty good.

I've found that there are guys that I don't consider all that good, but then I'll play something like Raid, and suddenly, they're great. Or in custom, Mimic has much more potential.

Then there are guys that I know are good, and I want to pick more, but somehow my actual pick rate on them is garbage and it probably comes down to luck of the draw. Artificer is one of my least picked mages and I think they're probably my second-favorite tier 3 blue, and clear first favorite on Raid.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Can we talk about the level 0s for a second. I'm convinced some level 0 items are actually really good, but they all take an odd amount of prep work.

The most obvious is the rorriM teckoP, which makes the Eccentric even better. But some of the others are really weird.

The Cyanide Pill has "Add Cantrip and death to the two right sides" which seems like a way you could get a shitload of mana combined with the thing that already gives you mana.

Bent Fork is driving me mad trying to find a use case. "x1 to the pips of all sides" What does that even do?!

I can't decide if these are all fancy ways of saying "Does nothing" or if they're actually ways of saying "Appears to do nothing, but actually has an extremely niche use case."

There are some higher level items that seem kinda rear end, too.

Bowl seems god-awful, but if I squint at it, it seems like a thing that's designed for curse runs (which might explain its surprisingly high level). Is that the main use case? You can take a curse that weakens you, and if you have the Bowl, the bowl hero is full strength? Otherwise it seems to do literally nothing beneficial. (Hang on.........it doesn't keep your sides from changing when you level up, does it? Because that could actually be really good, especially on Generate.)

EDIT
Cracked Emerald seems actually kinda insane if you're lucky enough for it to go off.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 15, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tann posted:

t0 items are intended to be around "-0.1 to +0.4" in strength compared to a t1 item. Though mostly they're just jokes because the UI creates itself if I can code the idea. The idea that the game is diligently multiply all these values by 1 is funny to me also!

Gonna accidentally revolutionize mathematics by thinking too hard about the Bent Fork in a cell phone game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hexia is still a nightmare on some playthroughs. I'm fairly sure I have more losses to Hexia than the other two combined.

I'm tempted to run the option that just unlocks everything, because I am still not sure how or when I will ever lose to Alphas 10 times.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Awesome.

I recently discovered level 4 heroes after actually playing with curses and taking a curse that was -1 hero.

It gave me a relatively broken character with a cool background. Playing levels 21-30 sounds like you're very likely to have more level 4s.

..............but will there be generic level 4s now?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
This game is a godsend for when my internet is out or I am on the bus. It's probably my most played game of the last year, on aggregate.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
How come copycat doesn't work on Plague?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I haven't played yet, but I do want to take a moment to say that, in the new arrangement of modes, having one of the sub-categories be "Crappy" modes, and there being five of them, makes me laugh.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Vampire got buffed and Fey got Nerfed? Medic's spell is actually a downgrade to Healer now? What the gently caress?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Oh so it like reset everything OK. I'm not new, just haven't played in a while

Not quite, but it did redo the tutorial.

I beat the first fight and unlocked like, 100some odd achievements......

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

the holy poopacy posted:

Really? It seemed considerably easier than the other final bosses. The defense seems like a doozy at first but its offense is drastically weaker than the rest. I'd think it would take an extreme glass cannon build to have any trouble with it.

It has Era and a damage+self heal side. A glass cannon team would actually have a much easier time with it.

EDIT
You can re-name your dudes now. Does that work with the items that are name dependent? Can you just acquire one of the idols and decide "I'm going to give myself +[character limit] HP"?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
OH HEY, speaking of: Hexia now over-damages with its mana burn ability, so you can't heal through it.

Whoever was giving you feedback on poo poo like balance prior to this update is not doing you any favors.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
There's an option to make the dice actually 1 in 6.

What are they defaulted to?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, the generated items I've seen have been nuts. Had one that replaced the middle row with cantrip attack+mana, and another that added self-repel to all sides. I gave the latter to a generated T4 yellow that had some giant damage sides and it would just obliterate all enemies targeting him when he used one of those attacks.

There are generated items? What mode has those?

In other news, everyone has probably figured this out already, but Presence + Bandana is uh, pretty drat good.

I don't get the "Green characters are weak" thing at all. Some are... clearly better than others, but I'm not sure I'd call them weak. Then again, before the current version, my favorite modes were Custom (with random parties) and Generate, so....

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the eccentric loving sucks

The Eccentric is either the best or second best tier 3 yellow in the game. Leader is probably(?) better.

Having your good side be on the right is an overwhelming advantage.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I honestly think Scoundrel is one of the better tier 1 orange. They only have two sides, but they're two of the three best sides available to orange, and the high HP helps a ton. I often keep a scoundrel for a while, opting to promote others, first.

I'm annoyed that a Sc2undrel isn't a Scoundrel and doesn't benefit from their level 0 item.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Vulnerable into Bramble is why I love the scoundrel.

Cool to see different people play differently. My problem is the opposite. If I build 5 good sides, I will hit side 6.

Edit
The worst tier 1 is the new fuckoff who creates skeletons and it's not even close.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Kuros posted:

Some of the gen stuff gets wild. I got shield 6 on a two mana cost spell.

I got a shield 6 all, but I forget the cost.

Tunicate posted:

a lot of the gen stuff is identical to existing spells, and I feel like if they get that, it should just give you the normal spell (I keep getting knockoff versions of Bolt, for instance)
What's bizarre is they can.

I've also had two different procgen spells with the same precise stats, but two different names.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

CubicalSucrose posted:

If Eccentric isn't going to be good with your build, you generally try and pick not-Eccentric (if possible).

I am liking the new "pick a random level-up" option, which seems maybe sometimes better than skipping.

I only skip if I'm locked into a build. I might hit the Random option if I'm not locked in yet, but hate the available options.

But what's really frustrating is earning the random "blessing" which levels one of your heroes, thus negating the lynchpin of your team by giving him all random sides, instead of, say, three cantrip 4 Mana sides. Nothing like taking what's supposed to be a big reward and getting a penalty. Please at least give me right of refusal to level my hero.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Einander posted:

The Topsy-Turvy effect (replace every character's dice with the dice of the character above them) really should be a one-time shuffle rather than an ongoing one. Some of the Greens would be great to keep on if they could get another, more useful die and have the original green's die get discarded by a promotion. (Cats or Statues, for example. Though you don't really get to choose whether you keep a cat...) Making it ongoing instead removes all of the interesting tricks you can pull with it.

It just needs more of the color-specific items, because those unlock some fairly wild poo poo.

Are there Green only items now?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Wait, Single use punches through Stasis? Then what the hell does Stasis actually do?!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Inflict single use punches through. But the way Stasis reads, it should prevent it twice. 1)Inflict single use -> Can't happen mate. My sides can't change. You ain't adding anything to my sides. 2)The inflicted single use triggers and deletes my ability. -> Still shouldn't happen. My sides. Can't. Change.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'll fiddle with the interface to try to recreate the situation. It was either an inflict single use or a Bramble, which isn't quite the same thing.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Anyone know if there's an achievement for contriving to lose to a barrel?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

the holy poopacy posted:

Basically turns off keywords that directly mention the size/number of pips on the face (by making them count the face as 0 pips, while the main effect still works as normal.)

The main use is that it can zero out pain sides, although it will also nerf some beneficial keywords (e.g. an attack with managain will turn into attack + 0 mana.)

Flipside is it'll kill Mana cost sides, too. But there aren't very many of those.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hey, Tann, I was unable to get the exact circumstances set up to repeat my stasis bug, but if I see it again in the wild, I'll let you know exactly what happened.

On another note, I got a random Level 0 power item that added Anti-Engage to my left side. That power was, uh... it was slightly better than level 0.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Smiling Knight posted:

Had a run that started with Lazy, Trowel, and an item from Luggage that replaces blank sides with Deal 3 + Death. Only way I could beat the first quarter of the game was giving Lazy the death sword and having him die every time turn, then get dug up. Won the run and he died like 25 times by the end.

Voicing support for greens. At least on Hard, they have a lot to offer. I’ll even stand up for Coffin, having an extra body to spread damage, hold items, and chip in can be worth missing on on T3s, if you already have strong/synergistic T2s (spellblade, fey, armorer).

The best party I had in the new version had a Coffin.

It had five tier twos, including coffin, and one generated tier 3, and I beat the Inevitable on turn 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Subjunctive posted:

Do people generally choose their parties, or go with the random set that matches the colour pattern you choose? I’m curious.

I play both, but in choose your party, I don't actually choose, I just hit the randomize button.

I also play Alternate and Generate a lot.