Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I'm pretty sure that well over half my final boss encounters so far have been Hexia. Downside, I hate her so much (it's not so much that she isn't balanced as it is that it feels like her design punishes you for interacting with 90% of the game systems, which forces you to always go for certain builds). Upside, I'm getting better at consistently beating her. Just mulched her with an all red party, which was interesting. Most of the party had something between 20-30 HP by the end of the fight.

...it may have been on easy, because I figured trying all red on a harder mode wouldn't be very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

norp posted:

You can go take a look at that stat in the almanac!

Hexia is definitely the boss I have with the worst kill ratio.

I just looked it up, if I'm reading things right she's actually been nearly two thirds of my final boss encounters.

I was pretty pleased with myself last night though. Played Unfair for the first time and managed to eke out a win, even with Hexia as the final boss. There were definitely a few moments in the run where I was saved almost entirely by luck though.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

What things should I aim for while trying to do the achievement for beating classic in under 40 turns? I've put in seven or eight attempts and there's a few points where I always seem to get bogged down.

Also, regarding Hexia chat, I feel like I'd have less of an issue with her if you could see what boss you're going to fight ahead of time. Then again, that might make things too easy...

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

The first time I saw Statue pop up as an option, I thought to myself "must be some sort of joke option, or terrible jank/edge case class."

Now I almost always take it when offered during level up.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

As with most games with this style of gameplay loop, I find it interesting what I tended to value when first playing vs. what I value now.

First time I saw Glacia pop up as an option, I just figured it was a class with poor mana generation and a spell without much damage potential. Now it's a rare game that I don't immediately lock Glacia in if it comes up. That two pip weakness spell is just so drat good. You can frequently use it to negate 8-10 points of damage, plus the obvious priority usage of preventing summons.

Likewise, I felt Chosen was a bit lackluster. The single use sides seemed like a big weakness and the spell felt mostly pointless. I figured I almost always would want three mana now instead of four mana later. Now I'm not bothered by the single use keyword and use that spell constantly when I have it available.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

I am an idiot for thinking this was a good idea to attempt. Observe, my folly:

Zero damage, zero kills, total pacifist run.

Fortunately, I discovered that summoned enemies who are sitting in the reinforcement queue do not count towards the total HP value needed to cause the enemy to flee. It took a surprisingly small number of attempts. I nearly lost it a couple of times on this run and wasn't sure I would be able to make it due to almost all my item choices being trash for what I was doing.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

In my defence, they weren't contiguous. It's not a very good defence mind you.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Raine posted:

i would have kept restarting until a Friendship Bracelet dropped (for those unaware: tier 2 item that makes it so enemies flee at 5x hp instead of the default 10x)

this must have been painful

I did have a number of restarts. There were definitely certain blessings/items I was looking for before trying to make a serious attempt. The run before the successful one was going well purely off of having the blessing giving growth on all sides. Unsurprisingly, when you are looking at that many turns, growth gets really good. It died on that rear end in a top hat boss that turns all your sides into single use. I didn't even bother playing the fight out.

In this case, I'd gotten the increase in healing and focus on all sides. I don't think it would have been possible without focus, since that allowed me to effectively double all my sides as often as possible. That, combined with the Herbalist growth granting side (which I usually don't value at all), boost and that one that gives a party wide vitality, meant it could have been way worse. I'd often be adding 10-20 max HP per turn, and it wasn't unusual to end a fight with 20-30 regen on every party member.

I was really hoping to get a Friendship Bracelet, since it would have effectively cut enemy HP in half for the purposes of the run. Failing that, I was also hoping to get a Siphon (Replace middle side with Heal 0, Vitality, Flesh, Pain), since HP growth with that is pretty easy to set up to be exponential if you have the party member using it target themselves over and over. All you need is something that also makes it self heal and you double your HP every time you use it.

tann, I want to say this is a great game and it was worth every penny I paid for it. It would have been nice to have something that compresses extremely high HP amounts on the UI. Maybe something like having 20 or 30 display like normal, but the first box also has a number for all the additional HP. I'm not likely to ever attempt this particular gimmick run again, but it did get genuinely hard to read anything on the character information because the whole column was a haze of HP bars overlapping one another.

Also, I'm very slightly disappointed there wasn't a secret achievement for it. I didn't really expect there to be one, but I would have found it funny.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

dregan posted:

This seemed fun to attempt, and after several weeks of on and off trying...

Turns out fanatic suicides count as kills.

:doh:

I definitely found there were a few hard check run killers. On the plus side, if you make it to the final boss, Hexia is dead easy.

I'm also entertained by how much faster you were able to go through. Siphon is an absolutely amazing item for the gimmick, since you can exponentially spike your HP growth with it.

I've actually made a few attempts at this on normal difficulty. I think it is technically possible, but would require some really specific item and level up rolls. For instance, I suspect Siphon would be almost mandatory to keep up with scaling.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Tann posted:

Lots of new stuff coming, exciting times. It's probably going to be a disaster somehow.

Here's one of the new modes-

Looking forward to injecting this stuff straight into my veins. I've put a stupid amount of time into this game for the amount I paid. Still easily one of the best phone game titles out there.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

So, I'm sad that the Wanderer lost the four use attack from his die. On the other hand, defy is an absurdly powerful keyword in so many situations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Maybe this is already in the update and I just haven't seen it yet, but I think it would be amusing to have a mode where the whole thing runs in reverse. You start with a fully leveled and equipped party, fighting the end boss, and you go backwards, de-leveling your characters and removing items as you go.

Loving the update so far. The new characters all seem entertaining. Pilgrim is probably an auto pick for me going forward. There are a few abilities that existing characters used to have that I'll miss a little, but not such that I'd trade the new content for them.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

lol, straight broke the game while seeing how some of the new content would impact a pacifist run. Can't say I've seen that happen before. Submitted a bug report. I can access the menu, quit and rejoin the game. I can select characters, but then if I try to actually target anything I get the error message.

Lemony fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 21, 2024

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Agent is one of my new favourite additions. The two four use sides are great, and the top and bottom sides are hilariously swingy. Sometimes worse than useless, sometimes you roll the groupdeath keyword and wipe a boss encounter when the trash mob at the top of the stack attacks once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

I imagine a pure red run being significantly easier than a pure yellow run.

I feel this is an appropriate moment to repost this:

Lemony posted:

I am an idiot for thinking this was a good idea to attempt. Observe, my folly:

Zero damage, zero kills, total pacifist run.

Fortunately, I discovered that summoned enemies who are sitting in the reinforcement queue do not count towards the total HP value needed to cause the enemy to flee. It took a surprisingly small number of attempts. I nearly lost it a couple of times on this run and wasn't sure I would be able to make it due to almost all my item choices being trash for what I was doing.