Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Just picked this up. Seems very cool. However, I just reached the final boss, and lost because my casters took huge damage from something called “mana burn.” I did not see this in the glossary. What causes this — high mana? Final boss effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Hexia, one of the final bosses, has that as their ability.

Thank you! I was looking in the wrong places.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

some plague rats posted:

oh poo poo I didnt realise custom let you use multiple same colour classes?? What's the strategy with four blues? Do you just try to rush damage and kill everything before your health runs out?

Yep. Take curses that lower your dudes’ durability, increase enemy damage, or cause damage over time, don’t touch anything that added foes or toughens them up. Use all your mana to burn ‘‘em down! Cast blaze three times in one turn!

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Jedit posted:

I just unlocked Loot Mode. 13 achievements left, and they're probably all impossible or next thing to. The ones I see are "pick Soul Link" - I've never seen it and don't even know if it's unlocked - Unfair victory, Classic Hard 2-streak, Classic Unfair 2-streak, and losing to Alpha 10 times (my current stats: 252 wins from 252 fights).

Classic hard streak isn’t bad at all. Doom, + wisp or goblin, + wisp or goblin every third turn, and poison are all pretty minor on their own. Just need to line them up twice in a row.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

eonblue174 posted:

https://twitter.com/ColourTann/status/1765028851388707065?s=20

3.0 March 20th! I'm so excited!

Fingers crossed for portrait mode bc I'm a freak

Please IOS… my commute is so long…

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Had a run that started with Lazy, Trowel, and an item from Luggage that replaces blank sides with Deal 3 + Death. Only way I could beat the first quarter of the game was giving Lazy the death sword and having him die every time turn, then get dug up. Won the run and he died like 25 times by the end.

Voicing support for greens. At least on Hard, they have a lot to offer. I’ll even stand up for Coffin, having an extra body to spread damage, hold items, and chip in can be worth missing on on T3s, if you already have strong/synergistic T2s (spellblade, fey, armorer).

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

that inch is so exciting though!

Beat the Hand with a 1-hp berserker yesterday and never felt so alive. Barely scraping by is the best type of run!

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Myco is great on 20-floor runs, can’t speak for others. Spore is a really good spell with tons of synergy options, and mana generation is the same as evoker on the most important turn but with better failstates. Glacia/caldera/fiend/myco/seer all feel like reasonably balanced and strong choices.

I will sometimes take the cursed chests early. The thing about tier 1 items is that there are a bunch that shift sides around, which is key for a bunch of strong late game synergy. Still getting a feel for it but I think it is well-balanced for classic hard/unfair.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I see the sense in people requesting the ability to see the final boss early. On the other hand, each boss requires different solutions, but most can be done with only one item or hero pick, so attempting to cover your bases is a feasible challenge.

Hexia: wants one of immunity to player turn damage, big ranged attacks, self-heal/shield, shield on spell, or death immunity.

Dragon: wants ability to kill a byrd and survive big AOE fire/poison.

Hand: solved by cantrips or other low-pip, high impact sides.

Inevitable: big damage! Warlock and Prince eat him alive, two Unites and he is dead.

Also, scorpion tail has to be among the best relics in the game for standard runs. Had a very funny situation with Wanderer + scorpion tail versus Inevitable, where its Era did not matter because the weaken effect got bigger each turn too!!

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Meddler rules. His mana generation is on par with a tier 2. All you have to do is accept that he could just to decide to add 3 skeletons a turn (or have the discipline to stop rolling after the first bones, but c’mon, it’s only a 1/3 chance, and if you roll the big mana you’ll turn it around, it’s practically certain…).

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Einwand posted:

I had rainbow chaos wand once. I lost without ever rolling it.

I had a rainbow chaos wand once. It’s how I got the “kill a boss on the first turn” achievement.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Quixzlizx posted:

I found out today that Dumbbell does not interact with pips added by defy (and possibly era? I don't remember if that interaction happened in that one fight). What's the cutoff? Would a pip added by the Hand count towards the required 4?

Dumbbell and other items affect the base pips on your die before modification (or, if in the second item slot, after modification by the first item). Dumbbell therefore would not give its bonus to a three-pip side in the Hand fight, but e.g. Sparks (adds cantrip to all one-pip sides) still would apply its bonus during that fight.

Keywords that change the value of a side during the fight like defy, era, bloodlust do not affect items that trigger based on number of pips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Got the option of item that added a random keyword to all sides at tier 8. Went for the mystery box, the answer was “hypnotize.” Sets the target’s damage sided to zero. Stuck it on Dancer and figured I’d autopilot to a free win. Final boss was the Hand, who rolled killed top hero turn one. Dancer missed her evade side, no rez or resist death heroes. Still won because Wanderer is good. In conclusion, Slice and Dice is a land on contrasts.